Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #5521
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Maggie - This sounds so good! I had low country shrimp and grits once that was soooooo good and then several times later - not so much. This sounds like the sauce to make it with!

Thanks!

Al

Hi Al!

This was really delicious, very simple, and I enjoyed it again yesterday over rice.

Next time I make it may be with bacon and shrimp.

Maggie
Old 10-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #5522
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The Interstate is undergoing cosmetic surgery and getting the coach battery replaced at Peterbilt this week, and will likely not be discharged until the end of this week, by which time late fall will have arrived in central Illinois.

Temps have been up and down the past week, currently 83 with a heat index of 86, but will drop 30 degrees by Thursday and 40 by the weekend...projected low one week from today is 27.

I will now have to bring my baby home and winterize before returning her to storage...no more traveling now til January, God willing and the creek don’t rise.

My chimney was cleaned Friday, two loads of firewood are being delivered this afternoon and I made a batch of cedar shaving firestarters yesterday...so, I’m ready for a couple of months of cold weather before I can make my winter escape to beloved places and warmer temps.

Am going to break with recent tradition of hotel-with-pool, and take the grands to Chicago on the train after Christmas. We’ll spend the night, visit the LEGO store, have lunch at the Cheesecake Factory, perhaps take a horse and buggy ride and go skating in Daley Plaza.

Rather, they will skate, I will cheer them on from the sidelines...Grandma has had two left feet all her life, and ankles never strong enough to stand on ice skates, tho I used to manage roller skating at the local rink when I was a wee girl.

It will be fun, and something different. We will hopefully have perfect weather for a trip to the city at Christmas...cold, a little snow, not too windy.

Holiday decorations will still be up... a beautiful time of year up there, and a favorite of mine and Doug’s.

I finished the lacy taupe throw I’ve been working on the past few months, washed it up this morning and got it in the mail to the new owners.

Time now, for hats. I’ll have a sack of them for the Mission by this time next month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	944BF267-A051-4803-AD7F-376BB2DC6F3D.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	324864  
Old 10-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #5523
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Tho the AC was running two days ago, the morning temp here was 40 and it is now 36 with a light rain that may turn to snow flurries.

Fall has officially arrived. And so, the first fire of the season.

The Interstate is still in the shop, and won’t be done til early next week, but Peterbilt promises to keep it inside and warm til I pick it up and can get it winterized.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0447EC5C-DE35-4AF3-B2D7-0B32900A5FA2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	325040  
Old 10-13-2018, 08:45 AM   #5524
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Tho the AC was running two days ago, the morning temp here was 40 and it is now 36 with a light rain that may turn to snow flurries.

Fall has officially arrived. And so, the first fire of the season.

The Interstate is still in the shop, and won’t be done til early next week, but Peterbilt promises to keep it inside and warm til I pick it up and can get it winterized.

Hi Maggie!
Stay warm! Our temps have gripped from low 90s to low 70s after Michael which is great. Our first & only camping trip this coming up at the end of the month so hope the weather remains cool. We adopted a 9 week old golden retriever puppy, who we named Tug, & brought him home 2 weeks ago. Petunia loves him so they are now a pair & ready to go on his 1st camping trip. Much easier training one than 2 as we have done in the past.

Hugs!
Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #5525
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Jane, and congratulations on your new puppy!

They’re so much fun, tho I don’t miss the housebreaking and chewing on everything stage.

It’s 40 here right now, and not going to get much warmer today, so I’m bringing in the garden hoses, mixing bread to bake tomorrow and fixin’ to start a fire before long.

Lily finds the cool weather very invigorating, so our morning walks have her prancing and dancing at the end of her leash, also curled up on her fleece blankie at the foot of my bed at night.

The horrific devastation along the Gulf Coast from this last hurricane is just plain gut wrenching, and I can’t imagine the strain of living in that aftermath, nor having sat the storm out as many did who had nowhere to go and/or no means to evacuate, and/or thought it wouldn’t be as bad as it was.

Then, the level of damage wrought on the southeast as it moved inland.

We have tornadoes in central Illinois, and the sea of flattened buildings is all too familiar, but at least in a basement or other underground shelter one is reasonably safe from a tornado.

So sad, and so scary. It could be any one of us.

I’ve made another donation to the Red Cross, and encourage everyone to do something...whatever they can...to help.

So many disasters going on simultaneously, I’m sure public and volunteer resources are stretched very thin.

I saw a line of Illinois Power trucks headed toward the interstate the other day, and I suspect they were joining the convoys from all around the country to help restore power.

Life can change in an instant, and does.

Maggie
Old 10-14-2018, 06:17 AM   #5526
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I wonder.how Top of Georgia was affected. They jad barely finished cleaning up and rebuilding after a tornado.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:57 AM   #5527
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Paula.

I haven’t seen much on the news about damage other than along the Gulf coast, but did see earlier in the week that a half million people were without power in Virginia, I think it was.

They had 5 tornadoes from this storm, as I recall.

I texted Dan Engle the other day to check on him, but haven’t yet heard back...message says delivered, but the towers may still be down, his phone may be dead, or he is just too busy in the aftermath to deal with texts.

We all need to update our bug-out bags, and be as prepared as we can be for a disaster near us.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ss-112133.html

They seem to be coming with more intensity and frequency.

Maggie
Old 10-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #5528
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Picked the Interstate up from Peterbilt/JX Trucking today, and they did a splendid job removing and repainting all the little outside doors which were so badly sun damaged.

I couldn’t be more pleased, and now also have a proper coach battery in place.

Got the propane tank filled up, added some of that stuff to my fuel tank to keep my diesel fuel moving in freezing temps...as I have a full tank of summer fuel ...and got ‘er winterized.

Had trouble finding the hot water heater bypass valve, so got Jason from RV Master Techs on the phone...he put me on FaceTime, had me walk him around the RV and we located it under the rear bench.

Said bench can only be lifted about 8”, like you were going to lift and pull it out for a bed, so you have to kneel next to it and lean in under the raised bench to access the bypass valve.

Mind you, the bench is not secured in this position, just kind of sitting there, so I’m envisioning it coming down on me and me then unable to extricate myself, left shrieking from the bowels of the bench.

I told Jason if he heard me screaming for help to send 911 to my home address, and he promised he would.

I could only get the valve partially closed this way, stretched fully and me not having very strong fingers, but found I could reach in from the open back door into same partial and precarious opening...where I completed turning the valve, minus having head and arm inside something that could close on me.

Interstate is now ready for a not-so-long winter’s nap.

All part of the privilege of travel.

Maggie
Old 10-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #5529
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
For next time...
Get a block of styrofoam or something else that has a bit of strength to it and shape it to fit between the bench and whatever is below. Block the bench up with the aforementioned object while you reach in, and especially if your head has to go in also. Then the bench can't fall, or at least not far enough to trap you. When we work alone, we have to work smart.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:42 PM   #5530
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
For next time...
Get a block of styrofoam or something else that has a bit of strength to it and shape it to fit between the bench and whatever is below. Block the bench up with the aforementioned object while you reach in, and especially if your head has to go in also. Then the bench can't fall, or at least not far enough to trap you. When we work alone, we have to work smart.
Good idea. Consider adding a permanent brace. A hydraulic lift arm or even a trunk lid brace.

I also use a strap wrench for turning things like the the sewer outlet cover that are too big or stiff for my sore fingers.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:36 AM   #5531
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you for those suggestions, ladies.

Seriously, if the bench came down on me there would be no way for me to open it and free myself, so a solution to secure it is definitely in order.

Once I realized I could reach in under there from the back, with the rear door open, the reach wasn’t quite as long.

If the bench had come down, it would have trapped only my arm.

30 degrees here this morning, and we have our first frost, so just in time...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9C280A49-D3F5-4E0B-B279-2AA899C1741F.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	325311  
Old 10-17-2018, 04:52 AM   #5532
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Thank you for those suggestions, ladies.

Seriously, if the bench came down on me there would be no way for me to open it and free myself, so a solution to secure it is definitely in order.

Once I realized I could reach in under there from the back, with the rear door open, the reach wasn’t quite as long.

If the bench had come down, it would have trapped only my arm.

30 degrees here this morning, and we have our first frost, so just in time...

First off ,I LOVE following your blog-journal and willingness to help others. I can be long winded but all is truth.
I believe after reading your life story here it made me to finally do something I always "said I would get around to" and did it......I became a volunteer for:

"Walleyes For Wounded Heroes"
I started last June for the first outing but now an trying to gather donations until next years event. (THIS IS NO SPAM OR TROLL)
The feeling you get when others appreciate 4 days of doing what they used to do or just get together to BS with others that served for us to be free.

You are a HUGE inspiration and I want to say thank you and maybe help.
Is there a way of having a access cut in from the rear or atleast having the bypass added on to so as you can get to it easier? This sounds like something I believe AS should be interested in changing. I wish I had the knowledge to draw a pic of what I'm thinking but I am not that talented but surely others might understand my thinking.
The hydraulic arm mentioned scares me but the styrofoem block sounds safer to me.
Good luck and if you are ever near the Toledo Ohio area doing a job, I would love to stop and pitch in on whatever a guy with a bad back can do but don't say no to helping anyone!
Thanks again for being you.
Jakeo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:34 AM   #5533
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Why, thank you, Jake! ☺️

I think we should all do what we can to help those less fortunate, it’s just the right thing to do.

What that is depends on our abilities and personal situation, but there is always something.

I am fortunate to have reasonably good health, the ability to go, and to do some...and for that I am grateful.

Sounds like you are taking Veterans fishing? That sounds like a great experience for everyone, and good for you!

I don’t know that an access panel to the hot water heater can be cut, without it being very unsightly, but I’ll look at it.

I do think that going in from the rear is safer and that I can surely find something to prop the bench up with or be sure there is someone else around in case it comes down on me.

We need to work smart, as Mimi says. I’ll figure out something before I have to climb in there again.

Maggke
Old 10-18-2018, 04:59 AM   #5534
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Toledo , Ohio
Thank you again for inspiring me. I must tell you that me personally do not take the "Hero's" on my boat because there is a list of Captains willing to donate their boats, gear, fuel and knowledge. Being my first year I only helped registration and doing what the senior organizers asked. The most inspiring is just listening to what the Veterans care to talk about.
The people that organize work all year for the 4 day event and Yes I will be back in Port Clinton Ohio again next June.
Jakeo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:28 AM   #5535
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good for you, Jake.

We are suddenly in Fall here, quite cool and needing a fire every day, but it is great weather for walking.

One of my goals for 2018 was doing modest hiking, but it’s been one of those years, where I got a bit derailed , travel was off the usual routine, and that just didn’t happen.

Being a native flatlander, and something of a fraidy-cat where there are bears and mountain lions and similar toothed creatures , setting out alone and on foot on mountain trails is not for me.

However...I’ve recently been searching out nearby Nature Preserves, of which there are several near me and they are gorgeous right now. (Nature and Forest Preserves parking areas are great for the occasional overnight when traveling, too.)

A nice change from the bike path we usually walk, and no bikes/scooters/skateboards, etc., are allowed. The youngsters on wheeled items are a threat on the bike path, as they frequently come up on you very fast and without warning, which is why I no longer ride my bike there.

It’s dangerous. I like folks with little bells or an “on your left” as they approach...pull the dog up close, let them pass, and we’re all safer.

At any rate, the Nature Preserves are inviting for longer walks, and Lily is just beside herself.

On weekdays, they are basically empty, frequently allowing a discrete, off leash run, playing in the creeks, etc.

More time out of doors, longer walks for me and Miss Lily...a good thing.

Maggie
Old 10-18-2018, 08:50 AM   #5536
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
That sounds lovely and still a modified form of hiking. Fresh air, enjoying time with Lily, strengthening muscles and communing with nature.

That also sounds like a great time to have a little fanny pack, a small sideways sling purse or a little bitty backpack with a cell phone, some snacks, a whistle, a bandana, some spare water, a retractable walking/hiking stick and a rain poncho.

Scouts motto, be prepared.

Not lecturing just in encouraging, after all you never know when somebody else might need one of those :-)

PS a lady who travels about the country by herself on various adventures is hardly a scaredy-cat just maybe some things more out of your comfort zone than others.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #5537
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good points, Hittenstiehl, and thank you.

Yes, the fear of animal areas is a familiarity, comfort zone thing.

I also like fairly level areas when just me and Miss Lily, as falling is not good.

I’ve had two experiences in the last couple of years, where I got a bit too much feeling bulletproof and nearly had a disaster...climbing at Chaco Canyon, having to back down because it was so steep and going off the trail to the edge of a deep ravine ; walking on hilly terrain, falling, rolling and slamming into a tree, which saved me from landing on rocks below.

Seriously.

Then there was my disorientation on a beach with frequent access points, not having my phone with me, and not being sure which access point I had left the Interstate in.

After that last one, I crocheted a wrist holder for my IPhone...if I have my PocketEarth app, I always know exactly where I am.

Maggie
Old 10-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #5538
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It’s 23 degrees here this morning, and after a couple of temp drops into the 20’s the leaves are coming down still green.

After a very windy yesterday, I need to rake up all the green leaves covering my back yard.

Despite the wind, yesterday was beautiful, cool and sunny.

I took my grands out to lunch, then with Lily for a walk at one of the Nature Preserves...a great time was had by all.

Big as these kids are, given a wide open space what they do is run.

Lily chasing them, they chasing Lily, everyone’s legs stretched as far as they can go, moving as fast as they could, til they were exhausted.

It was glorious to watch.

Sweet babies.

Maggie
Old 10-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #5539
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The one...the only...Ms. Tommie Lauer ...stopped for a visit on her way back to North Carolina with her shiny new rig.

We met for breakfast, caught up a bit and she showed me her beautiful new Unity by Leisure Travel.

It’s gorgeous, and probably half again as big as my Interstate.

She’s headed on home, then to Alumalina, where she will be surrounded by friends and admirers wanting to take a look.

It was great to see you!

Thanks for stopping, and travel safe, Tommie.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	79F5B442-6111-4091-A164-0DD7724BC3DA.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	325934  
Old 10-24-2018, 06:44 AM   #5540
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yesterday I dropped off my first sack of the season of hats and neck scarves at the food pantry and soup kitchen here...the room already filled early morning with people bundled up, clustered together and sipping hot coffee.

My sack was eagerly received, and pounced on by several within seconds of my arrival, so I think they will see good use.

There, but for the grace of God, go any one of us.

Another forums member asked about, and has done some scouting out of, Padre Island NS beach camping, and discovered that Mustang Island SP is still closed since the hurricane....and what used to be the drive out there onto the beach for glorious, free beach camping is now a 6’ drop off.

I was really looking forward to getting back onto that beach, which Doug and I camped at just a month or so before he died.

Still planning to head that way this winter, see Mimi’s new house and have a visit with her, and hopefully find another spot down there.

If anyone knows of a beach camping spot along the Texas Gulf, I would love to hear about it.

Maggie

« No Game Changer | Top | - »