Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2018, 06:09 AM   #5161
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
So sorry to hear about your accident. As long as you are not badly hurt, that’s the most important.
Stuff happens to stuff.
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:37 AM   #5162
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
I have followed your travels thru life over the past 4 years. I'm so glad you're ok and the Interstate did it it's job. Keep us posted.
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:00 AM   #5163
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Empathy. The difference between sympathy and empathy is that when you see someone who is seasick and you're sorry for them, that's sympathy. When you see someone who is seasick and you turn green and run for the rail, that is empathy.

I empathize. You probably remember that I rolled my previous 25 footer. Life has been sending me warnings that it is about time to quit fulltiming, and I have been gradually accepting that Denial is not a river in Egypt. Whether you get another camper or not is entirely your choice, but if you do, be prepared for some serious shakiness PTSD? For at least the first 2-3 trips... and for an occasional flashback while on the road. The 2 hour pull off and walk around rule is golden... the destination will still be there ecen if you are hours or days late.

Hey, if you don't get another camper, I am sure you will still be invited to come along if you agree to BAKE[emoji16].

So glad you and pup weren't hurt badly! Hope to visit your area before I hang it up permanently.

Best always, Paula
Old 05-25-2018, 10:17 AM   #5164
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, everyone.

Paula, I thought of you instantly, and again when I looked at what had dislodged in the rear...including a 100+ year old antique sewing box that belonged to my maternal grandmother that I am taking to my daughter....straight pins, thread, etc., all over the floor, but it was unbroken..

We went to pick up necessities this morning, and I have talked with the claims folks.

They are graciously going to leave the van in it’s current lot so that I will be able to easily access on Tuesday. Nothing would happen over this holiday weekend, anyway.

Going to look at renting a full sized suv or maybe a UHaul van to get my things home.

My kids are encouraging me not to be in a hurry to give up traveling. I’ll wait til the dust settles, then see how I feel and what’s out there.

Sigh.

Maggie
Old 05-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #5165
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Just read about your accident this morning. You have our condolences, and we thank God that you escaped with such minor injuries.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #5166
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
THanks, Protagonist.

We are at darling daughters, where Lenny has a new playmate...Lucy, a 1 1/2 y.o. Pit bull mix. Also seems to be an alpha, or maybe it’s just the pit bull in her.

We did the pack walk, she and Lily are not going to be pals any time soon.

Maggie
Old 05-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #5167
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Maggie,
So sorry to learn of your accident. Though I've followed you since early 2014, I'm not such a regular lately on the forum. So I just learned of your recent stroke and now this accident. Take time for yourself to recover and and settle in following these events before you decide not to travel. So glad you have such a supportive family and wonderful companion in "Miss Lily". I wish you the best in your recovery....take lots of time to enjoy your family and your garden. Your beloved Doug will "speak to you" in your heart and guide your decisions.
Kind regards,
FCloud9"
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #5168
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you. I am just starting to feel serious loss. The thought of emptying it and driving away forever is very hard to swallow.

I’m trying to think what to do, and figure that a way will show itself if it is meant to be.

I’ve broken up a dog fight here and learned to use a shock collar on Lucy, which is Very effective. Seems a bit tortuous but she responds instantly.

Lucy, who don’t take nuthin from nobody.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EA1F0797-699A-455E-AF7F-4E6A65133579.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	569.0 KB
ID:	311986  
Old 05-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #5169
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
Is the coach close enough so that your daughter can help you unload it?
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #5170
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Lately, I've felt the need to seek words of encouragement from historical respected leaders and other people who despite adversity, carried themselves in admirable ways.
I remembered this quote today:

"Believe you can and you’re halfway there".

-Theodore Roosevelt
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #5171
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Maggie,
I am so glad that Lily and you are both okay.
Hang in there.
Julie
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #5172
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Maggie, I don’t follow the forums as much as I used to but I do often wonder what is going on in Maggie and Lily’s life so I log on just to catch up. I have enjoyed following your experiences. The travel related ones are my favorite but I also truly enjoy the excerpts of your daily life and experiences. I understand that this accident may cause pause and seem to be a time to shift gears and transition away from your free spirited adventures. I have admired you so much these past few years and know you will make the decision that is right for you but I will admit I’d miss you sharing your explorations with us as you do so eloquently when you write. Thankful you two are safe and do I hope to hear you are back on the road in some form or fashion soon. Take care and keep us all posted!
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:55 PM   #5173
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dear Lily, I know you will already be doing all the right things to comfort and support Maggie, so I don't have any specific advice for you other than to keep living in the moment and stay healthy so you can be there to share the good times that will come again.

Please do suggest to Maggie that she can go to the local U Haul and get a bunch of boxes to pack up easily shipped items and take them to daughter's house. Once yoi and Maggie get home, daughter can call UPS directly for a residential pickup (more economical than a storefront UPS Store by far) just weigh each package. The fragile, valuable stuff will then more easily fit in the rental vehicle, leaving a seat for you.

Maggie, take time to really strip the Sprinter to the bones. I lost a gold thimble that had a lot of sentimental value, and threw out or gave away stuff that I would have taken if I had been retired and had a more flexible return date. That said, give your daughter the booze, because the bottles could leak or break, but she will likely keep them for your next visit.

If you have a grandkid who could make the trip with you, do take her/him up on the offer. Cost for the hotels, meals, etc. Is not that big a deal, the companionship and support are priceless.

Hope the raccoon eyes fade quickly. Hug Lily for us all, and take advantage of courtesy parking from any forum friends who offer it along the way home.

Paula
Old 05-25-2018, 11:03 PM   #5174
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
A Different Life II

Maggie - very sorry to read of this mishap but glad to know it wasn’t more serious in terms of injury. Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

I’m sporadic on reading posts on the Forum, but I’ve always appreciated your thoughtful and heartfelt posts.

Thank you for sharing with us, including all of us ASers you’ve never met in person.

Best Regards - Ron
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:42 AM   #5175
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks to all of you for the kind words, suggestions and support.

Always a plethora of support here.

I think my D is going to go back with me on Tuesday, only about 4 hours west of her home, and help me empty the Interstate. The thought of it makes a knot in my stomach.

It’s not filled to the gills, thank goodness, as this was to be a 10 day trip. I gave the tow truck driver milk, cream, juice, etc., and what little other food I had in my frig.

We’ll spend the night there and head toward our respective homes on Wednesday.

I was exhausted last night, and am rather consumed with the fact that this was my fault, and my first in my life serious accident. I wonder if it is a sign from the universe that I need to stop traveling, yet I can’t quite wrap my mind and heart around that.

I’ve heard from several people “it was an accident, accidents happen, etc.”, but that doesn’t negate the fact that I caused it.

Sigh.

Lily and Lucy are not going to be friends. Lucy is predatory, stalking and trying to corner her, as she also does the cat here. Thus, they had bought but not yet used the shock collar.

Lily is afraid of Lucy, and for good reason. We have to watch them constantly, Lenny trying to intervene and mediate when growling and barking starts.

Lily and Lenny remembered each other immediately, and would be more playful but that Lucy is very protective of Lenny and doesn’t want Lily near him.

Lenny launched himself in greeting at me as soon as we arrived, butting me in the face (kissing me) with his muzzle. He is the size of a small pony, and towers over me when on his hind legs.

This happened repeatedly, whether I was sitting or standing, so it was quite the chaotic scene yesterday.

Today is another day, I will arrange a rental vehicle and go on.

Maggie
Old 05-26-2018, 04:59 AM   #5176
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Maggie,

Glad you are not badly hurt and walked away. Tough to loose the rig it’s taken you, Doug and Lily all over the states.

Regards

Gary & Linda
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:04 AM   #5177
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Gary.

Maggie
Old 05-26-2018, 05:39 AM   #5178
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Sending super big and long hugs to You and Lily
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:39 AM   #5179
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Maggie

Sorry about your accident but also thankful that it did not happen a nanosecond later. Glad to hear that you and Lily are OK.

Amazing that you had a feeling that something major was going to happen affecting you.

As others have said, take time to make the best decision for you. Doing nothing is always an option. In time I know that you will make the best decision.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #5180
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, folks, and I agree that doing nothing right now is best....but for emptying it out, taking things off the walls, etc., which I am dreading.

State Farm won’t be doing anything til after that, then will probably move it to one of their lots and do an assessment.

I wish I had the means and resources to do one of those clever things where bvan or trailer are wedded to a pickup truck....take off the driving part and use the living quarters.

I can imagine that.

I have a minivan rented, which is all I could get one way, but it will be big enough.

This is going to be hard.

Maggie

« No Game Changer | Top | - »