Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #5101
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Hi Maggie. I don't read your thread as much as I should but your comment about "post stroke" certainly caught my eye. I hope that didn't just occur very recently.

Both my parents passed due to massive strokes resulting in bleeding in the brain. I figure that's the way I'll go; hopefully I won't hit another cow. I'm not trying to be maudlin, just matter of fact; I think you lead your life the same way - it's in your quote line. From the beginning, after learning of Doug's story, I always see that advice in your replies...and for the most part, I live that every day.

Anyway, just thought I'd drop in and wish you good health. I always appreciate your comments on my posts.

Jeff (from Bryce Canyon National Park)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_418.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	744.9 KB
ID:	308508   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_408.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	308509  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_407.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	308510   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_405.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	308511  

westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:20 AM   #5102
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Hi Maggie:

A tree company owner and former Harley rider with me told me once that with maples if the roots are at the surface, cut them and then as you read put mulch down. I've done it and we could save the tree for a few years, it's roots had grown into our sewer line and eventually had to go.

Good luck and enjoy your journey to Edisto, I'm hesitant about all journeys, but then always have been. Give Lily a hug.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:54 AM   #5103
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastas View Post
Hi Maggie. I don't read your thread as much as I should but your comment about "post stroke" certainly caught my eye. I hope that didn't just occur very recently.

Both my parents passed due to massive strokes resulting in bleeding in the brain. I figure that's the way I'll go; hopefully I won't hit another cow. I'm not trying to be maudlin, just matter of fact; I think you lead your life the same way - it's in your quote line. From the beginning, after learning of Doug's story, I always see that advice in your replies...and for the most part, I live that every day.

Anyway, just thought I'd drop in and wish you good health. I always appreciate your comments on my posts.

Jeff (from Bryce Canyon National Park)

Thank you, Jeff, and for the pictures.

You two are living an amazing dream, and I always look forward to your threads and gorgeous visual chronology of your adventures.

I’m 3 1/2 months out from a very small brain hemorrhage....off the blood thinners, everything looked at closely and under control, my risk for another seems minuscule.

But, the experience has happened, so it is thereby incorporated into my world view.

However, minus a barrier, I will continue to go...because, I can.

Don’t know when I will leave yet, have been waiting to hear about something which may or may not be on the calendar...I can make the trip in two days, or take my time there and back.

We have another cold snap due this weekend, then it should be over, so I won’t dewinterize til next week, but now that the rig is in the driveway I can work on other things.

I had a comment about my jury duty this week....here, you call in each evening to find out if you must report the next morning.

I had to report on Monday, not since, and now all jurors are released for the remainder of the week, so I am done.

Warm temps and sunshine today will see me tackling yard work....including moving that baby cedar to the back yard. I have a big shovel, and will be digging holes.

Maggie
Old 04-12-2018, 06:08 AM   #5104
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Hi Maggie:

A tree company owner and former Harley rider with me told me once that with maples if the roots are at the surface, cut them and then as you read put mulch down. I've done it and we could save the tree for a few years, it's roots had grown into our sewer line and eventually had to go.

Good luck and enjoy your journey to Edisto, I'm hesitant about all journeys, but then always have been. Give Lily a hug.

Bud
Thanks, Bud, and good to hear from you.

I was hoping, with the mulching, that the roots would recede into the ground, and planned on keeping an eye on them for awhile.

I’ll have a tree service come take a look...cutting those two roots if that seems needed wouldn’t be too big of a deal, I wouldn’t think.

I hate the thought of having to take the tree down, and hope I can save it.

You know, disaster can strike any of us at any time, but my feeling is that we need to be thoughtful and take reasonable precautions...then get out there and do what we enjoy.

We may have a warning of impending doom, something emergent rather than immediate, and we may not.

I want to live with awareness, but not in fear.

Safe travels, Bud!

Maggie
Old 04-12-2018, 07:23 AM   #5105
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Hello Maggie;
With your scheduled travels, I don't see Moraine View listed. ????
The only thing worse than you and Lillie not being there, will be NO molasses cookies.
Have a safe trip and enjoy.
See you in the fall?
M&D
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:21 AM   #5106
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are still having nighttime freezing temps here, and had some snow and ice both Sunday and Monday of this week.

I haven’t dewinterized yet, nor returned out there any of the things that were moved into the house for my winter time at home...going to work on that today, as it looks like there may only be a brief dip into freezing temps for the next week or so.

I may have to dewinterize on the road, as always done in January...tho it’s mid April.

I did run out to Interstate Battery yesterday, and got a new starter battery, as I neglected to start my engine for 5 months and fairly well trashed the one in there.

At 4+ years old, tho, last handled by Doug as we set out in January 2014 on what would be our last trip together, it was near-time, anyway.

I’ve just started a book set in Charleston and Edisto Island...The Time Between, by Karen White.

https://www.amazon.com/Time-Between-...en+karen+white

Seems good, so far, but what I love best are the emotional, soulful descriptions of the Island, marshes, beaches, sunsets, etc.

I missed my annual dose of Edisto this year, and am so looking forward to a few days there.

If I could wrap my arms around that place, and give it an all-enveloping hug, that’s what I would do.

A couple of times.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #5107
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We seem to finally be in “Spring” mode here in the Midwest....temps in the 60’s, and sunshine.

Puttering in the yard, clearing out winter debris, getting Preen down, etc., my hyacinths and tulips have survived the late frosts and are joyously blooming.

In my wild “far back” , all four of my bleeding heart bushes are well up out of the ground, but easily a couple of weeks yet from flowering....in years past, we have come home in late March to find them them in full bloom, but they have this year wisely stayed hidden thru our intemperate early Spring.

“The Time Between” proved to be a very good book, and one I will read again.

Not only set on beautiful Edisto, but a mystery mixing present day, WWII and the Holocaust. I enjoyed it.

I drove out to our county park/campground the other afternoon and ran the pink stuff out of my fresh water system, so that is a dewinterizing start. I can’t wait to get my bare toes in Edisto sand.

I have several planned trips of weeks, rather than months, this year...it just feels like time to rein in the 3-4 months at a time that has been the practice these last 11 years.

It’s what Doug and I always did, but my automatic pilot has gradually let go as I have found my widow footing in the 4 years he’s been gone...and long trips with it, I think.

Took my local grands out to breakfast yesterday, and they are very excited about our planned trip to the UP in a couple of months.

They’ve never been on a ferry, nor an island, nor in a copper mine nor glass bottomed boat...we are going to do all those things, and more, and it will be fun.

But first...Lily and I will revel in Edisto.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #5108
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hello Maggie,
I was near Walterboro Friday so called Edisto. No room at the inn but about 30 rigs at Walmart so joined them all and then continued north towards home because of the nice weather break. I am still destination driven from working for over 50 years and don't roam well yet. Since we were already gone for quite a while, I did not feel like gambling on a drop in being available although it has worked previously. 2.5 days to Ontario from Fort Lauderdale. Campgrounds open here in a few weeks. Yeah! But it's nice to be home. Jim
Old 04-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #5109
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Jim, and good to hear from you!

It’s always good to be home, but that’s a pretty hard haul for 2.5 days...yikes.

I fully understand not wanting to do a “cold call”, as I always call ahead to insure a spot for any night I plan to be in a campground.

I just like pulling into a sure thing.

You’ll have to get to Edisto sometime, even if you just drive down for a day at the beach...it’s a beautiful, lowcountry drive, all by itself, to a lovely and unspoiled place.

Take care, and thanks for dropping in.

Maggie
Old 04-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #5110
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are on the road, completing the dewinterizing/sanitizing process as we go.

Dealing with the plug for the hot water tank is the worst part of this process...both equally difficult, in a very tight space...by a person without strong hands...to get the fricking thing on tight enough that it doesn’t leak, or off for the winter.

I curse a bit, and do it in increments so as to keep hold of my patience.

When I finally get that last turn to tighten completed, and know it is secure, I just want to break out into a victory dance.

It is a rainy day in Tennessee, but we were visited by a flock of goldfinches just outside the window early this morning....pretty, happy little birds.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0B9150F6-1ECE-486B-A99A-CEBD93CBD701.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	552.0 KB
ID:	309545  
Old 04-26-2018, 08:39 AM   #5111
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yeah, another trip to meander along with. Safe travels and discover pretty places.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:14 PM   #5112
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The goldfinches have been here all day, all over this campground.

Lily likes the new throw I made for out here...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	57157142-F791-4B93-BDAF-C25C1C810235.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	309581  
Old 04-28-2018, 06:36 AM   #5113
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We spent a long day driving yesterday, around Nashville and Chattanooga, then through Atlanta on 75.

It was the most direct route, and we were already 7 hours on the road when we got to Atlanta, so I just gritted my teeth and did it. But, yikes.

We will go back a different way, as that kind of traffic once a trip is plenty.

The last time I drove that route was the other direction, heading home from Brunswick, GA, after Doug had died. I did that trip in two days, talking to him and planning his funeral in my head.

In the past few years, I have traveled 46,000 miles, driven mountains, elevations of 9,000+ feet, and winding, narrow roads at steep grades.

I feel I can do anything I need to, but am fighting the awareness that disaster could sit at my elbow, just waiting to knock me off course.

A natural and logical outcome of the recent reminder that life is fragile, and every day a privilege.

Settled into a pretty COE til tomorrow, and temps are expected to be in the upper 70’s, so we are opened up and doing some light housekeeping.

Lily has had a long walk this morning, and wild romp on a side road here, and is happy not to be driving.

Maggie
Old 04-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #5114
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Hi Maggie,

What COE campground are you staying at? We really like Doll Mountain at Carters Lake on the N side of Atlanta but haven't looked at anything on the South side.

I have planned out a route around Atlanta for our trip to Oregon in June. According to RV Trip Wizard, the trip planner I am now using, it is about an hour and a half longer than going through Atlanta but should be less nerve-wracking. Coming north on I-75, take GA 16 (mm205) through Griffin to Newnan, then US 27 to Rome. In Rome, get on GA 53 to Calhoun and then back on I-75. I haven't done it yet but I'll report in early June.

If traveling early on a Saturday or Sunday morning, going through Atlanta is not bad, but otherwise the direct route and I-285 perimeter are scary with traffic and construction. More and more we are looking for routes on the "blue highways".

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:25 AM   #5115
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I have planned out a route around Atlanta for our trip to Oregon in June.
As the saying goes, "When you're going through Hell, don't stop until you come out the other side." That's what driving in Atlanta is like for me. But infinitely better to go through Atlanta on I-75 than to go around Atlanta on I-285, at least if you can avoid both the morning and evening rush hours.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #5116
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are at the Petersburg campground at J. Strom Thurmond Lake.

For a last minute reservation, we were lucky to find the only spot left that could accommodate us up in here, and always good to have a spot to set in on the weekends.

I took 75 thru Atlanta because the bypass was sooooo out of the way, and it sounds like that was the better of two poor options.

I have spent an hour or so getting my only charger for phone and iPad working...cleaning and brushing connections, etc., finally paid off.

iPad had shut down due to low battery.

Maggie
Old 04-29-2018, 08:40 AM   #5117
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Maggie

Glad to hear that you are at a nice COE campground.

I just recently drove through Miami and Houston. Having grown up in the Detroit area I didn’t figure I would ever have any trouble driving in big cities. I was wrong! The speeding, reckless and aggressive driving that I see now is downright scary. My solution is to drive through major cities about midnight or later.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:03 AM   #5118
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Dan, and good to hear from you!

There are lots of COE campgrounds on that particular lake, this was an older one but perfectly decent, lots of shade and well kept...all one needs.

We were out early and have done laundry this morning, and been meandering the backroads into SC...there are historic plantations to stop and take a peek at, with vast expanses of grass for Lily to stretch her legs.

Maggie
Old 04-30-2018, 04:36 AM   #5119
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
The goldfinches have been here all day, all over this campground.

Lily likes the new throw I made for out here...
Yep she looks very relaxed and content.

Enjoy the trip - Be Safe.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:04 AM   #5120
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Bud!

If you like birds, Harpeth River Bridge COE west of Nashville is a pretty campground and a great place to see them...including the goldfinches, there are lots of water birds, at least one of which I believe was a great blue heron.

Maggie