Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #4841
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I thought about this purchase quite a long awhile before I made it, and felt it was very justified....particularly as a permanent, rather than temporary, item ...but appreciate the other justification coming from fellow tea drinkers, so thank you Roger.

The older we get, the fewer permanent items we need to add to our lives, is the truth...unless we are upgrading or replacing something, and can pass on/re-purpose the older items on to Goodwill, in my opinion.

Yesterday was the first anniversary of the hypothermic death of Doug’s 39 year old son, and my step daughter rather impulsively got on a plane to South Africa on Saturday so that she was there when it occurred.

Jacob spent a year there as a foreign exchange student in high school, and it was probably the best year of his life. He always wanted to go back, and Doug dreamed of doing that with him, but it didn’t happen.

Some of Jake’s ashes with her, and an item of her father’s, she will be leaving those there.

A good thing, and I hope it brings her some peace.

She’s a good woman, and I love her.

Maggie
Old 12-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #4842
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobum View Post
Merry Christmas Maggie!!!

Hoping your New Year brings great travels, that Lily gets to experience new smells, and that the grands continue to make your life richer. And please keep posting...
And to you, Vince.

About time for some more pictures of those new pups, methinks...

Maggie
Old 12-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #4843
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just got this from my son...

I got her a Bluetooth Karaoke Microphone for Christmas...shhhhh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77311C1D-5FD8-41FB-B900-42F90204318A.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	301149  
Old 12-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #4844
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Merry Christmas, Maggie and I hope the new year is filled with safe travels, good friends, and festive family visits.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #4845
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Al, and the same to you and your sweet wife.

Maggie
Old 12-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #4846
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I thought about this purchase quite a long awhile before I made it, and felt it was very justified....particularly as a permanent, rather than temporary, item ...but appreciate the other justification coming from fellow tea drinkers, so thank you Roger.

The older we get, the fewer permanent items we need to add to our lives, is the truth...unless we are upgrading or replacing something, and can pass on/re-purpose the older items on to Goodwill, in my opinion.

Yesterday was the first anniversary of the hypothermic death of Doug’s 39 year old son, and my step daughter rather impulsively got on a plane to South Africa on Saturday so that she was there when it occurred.

Jacob spent a year there as a foreign exchange student in high school, and it was probably the best year of his life. He always wanted to go back, and Doug dreamed of doing that with him, but it didn’t happen.

Some of Jake’s ashes with her, and an item of her father’s, she will be leaving those there.

A good thing, and I hope it brings her some peace.

She’s a good woman, and I love her.

Maggie
Maggie,
The mention of South Africa made me think of my daughter.
My suburban daughter did a college semester abroad in South Africa. The school said "be there Feb. 2" What! I wouldn't put her on a plane to a place so far away, so I flew over with her. We went a week early and drove the southern route from Cape Town to her college in Grahamstown, on the east side of the country. So from the Atlantic ocean to the Pacific, but west to east. The southern hemisphere takes a little time to get used to.
Anyway, my daughter became very socially conscious and joined the Peace Corps after college. So my 5'1" sweetheart spent almost 3 years in interior Namibia (Africa) teaching math and science. While living a mud hut and carrying water for 3 years! It sure did it toughen her up. Teaching "secondary" school to students up to 21 years old can do that to a person. Plus, she was the 1st white person that many of her students had ever seen!
When Peace Corps was over she and 2 other PCV's travelled for 6 months and saw 7 countries on the way home. Then, my daughter announced that she and her friends were moving to Brooklyn, NY. What! She was never a city kid. Moving to Brooklyn with no job? Oh, my! But they all did it. All got MSW's and are now social workers in Brooklyn or Manhattan. And, working with a tough population. 6 years later she's still there.
My baby girl has really grown up and Africa was a large part!
Have a Merry Christmas.
SB55
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #4847
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That’s a great story, sb55, and thanks for sharing.

Jacob’s host family is in Cape Town, and his sister was hoping to hop on a commuter flight to get over to see them...haven’t heard from her since this morning here, so don’t know what has developed.

My daughter spent a semester in London her senior year...flew over there by herself, was met at the airport, and off she went.

She loved it, and it was a great experience for her. She also has an MSW, and worked in Manhattan for 8 years or so, til just this past year when she and the hubbie moved...our girls may know each other.

My daughter applied and interviewed for her first job in NYC, so had one when she went, then lived for 6 months in the YWCA women’s residence in Greenwich Village, I believe, while she saved money to get her first apartment in Brooklyn.

Speaking of the exposure by black children to whites for the first time...many times when I was working, I had a wide eyed, pre school child carefully extend one finger to touch my skin, me the first white person they had ever been close to and wondering if I were real, what I felt like, or whatever. They were so sweet.

Maggie
Old 12-20-2017, 03:52 AM   #4848
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and safe travels, Maggie and Lilly. Will we see you in June?
Mike and Dana
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:12 AM   #4849
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Happy Holidays to you and Dana, too, Mike.

Maggie
Old 12-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #4850
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
20 and snowing here in Kitchener. I'm baking cookies like Mom used to make. I have her well thumbed recipe book. Merry Christmas to you and yours. <3 G & L
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #4851
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And to you and Laura, Gerard.

It is getting colder here, too, and next week we’re looking to have single-digit lows.

No precipitation, tho, and we need some this winter or our farmers are going to be in trouble come spring.

My to-do lists have to-do lists...finishing up for Christmas, getting ready to be gone with the grands for a few days, and then head south.

Maggie
Old 12-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #4852
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wood hauled into the house and the rack filled in the garage, mattress flipped, laundry done, Lily walked, a final run to the store after Camden reminded me I always make for Christmas that layered raspberry salad...more a dessert, but so pretty on a plate...that he so loves ....funny how we lose words and other things in our aging heads sometimes, as I’ve made this at least the last 20 years and had completely forgotten about it this year.

I was planning to show up Christmas Day only with homemade biscuits, jam and a bottle of Prosecco...he’s in charge of reminding me after this.

This is my fourth holiday season as a widow...some traditions have been maintained, many let go and replaced or not as I continue to adapt to a different and ever-changing life.

When Doug died, I began living alone for the first time since I married my first husband at age 21....44 years prior, when I was just a kid, really.

What do we know at 21, really....some due to life experiences are wise beyond their tender years at that age, but I was definitely not one of those.

Divorce, single parenthood, return to college, remarriage, empty nest, retirement, travel, widowed at 65, various and assorted life upheavals in and amongst....and I was not the same person when he died as I was when we met.

Nearly three decades together will change a person, and I am not the same person today in many ways as I was four years ago...how could anyone be.

You learn when suddenly alone to decide and do things mostly by yourself, to hold your own self up, navigate small and large storms, and to lean generally inward when necessary, rather than outward.

Baby steps, then bigger steps, the important thing is to keep going.

I’ve let some people go, and added some others...my care for myself, minus the outward leaning person, is necessarily different now...I pay attention to what sifts to the surface in the night and stays there, think things thru, decide what is best for me, and make decisions accordingly...and when I’m done, I’m done.

Growth...we never ask for it, but it finds us, and drags us sometimes sideways thru a very small keyhole out the other side.

Get up, keep going, make mistakes...sometimes place trust where it isn’t deserved...learn, let go, look to the future, keep going.

Sigh.

Happy holidays to everyone who reads this thread.

May you have love and joy in your life, and peace in your heart.

Maggie
Old 12-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #4853
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I’ve been waiting for this...

The grands will be delighted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7D424C36-BD5B-43CD-92EA-03FFB659A33D.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	301366  
Old 12-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #4854
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
You are living life Maggie. Appreciate all the blessings...my best wishes...I enjoyed spending time with you and Lily...
Old 12-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #4855
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I enjoyed meeting you, as well, Vince...I remember that beautiful little campground in Tennessee, which I have not been back to, but maybe this year, as I will be going to TN in the Spring, I believe.

Raspberry jello salad is made....Camden will be happy...and Mahalia Jackson is singing Christmas carols on my stereo.

She’s a Mississippi gal, ya know, and founded JazzFest in NOLA, if I remember correctly.

If y’all have never heard Mahalia sing, she is something special, and I remember my grandmother waking us in the mornings to Mahalia on the record player.

We not only have snow, but there are several inches on the ground and it’s still coming down steadily...I’m going to have to clear my car and shovel the driveway!

Another first since widowhood descended, as there has been no snow of accumulation since Doug died, til after we had headed south.

If I’d had to shovel that first year or two, it would have been thru tears, but I’m kind of looking forward to it at this point...if the cul de sac is quiet, may take Lily out to rip around a bit while I do it.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	181BABC8-3B7E-4571-A3CE-50DCFDFB4CB1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	544.1 KB
ID:	301372  
Old 12-24-2017, 01:33 PM   #4856
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Merry Christmas to those who celebrate as I do. Happy Holiday of whatever kind is yours to the rest. I hope everyone has a joyous season.

Mimi
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #4857
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Mimi!

I was thinking about you today, and wondered if you were moving in or getting close to it.

Have a great holiday, enjoy your family, and keep us posted on the house.

Maggie
Old 12-24-2017, 04:25 PM   #4858
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie, Merry Christmas and that snow looks beautiful. That is the kind I would like to have for Christmas some day. Minus the part where you said you would have to go out and shovel.

I had a snow like that one time many many years ago and it is a beautiful peaceful memory.

We were at a Inn on a small state Highway leading into Lake Tahoe. We are on the second floor and they served meals downstairs. We went to sleep not expecting snow and prepared to go skiing the next couple of days midweek. Slept in the next morning and it was already light when we woke up but we were unable to see out the window. I scratched away a little layer of crystals and fog from the window and realized our entire window was covered with snow.

Just then The Innkeeper knocked on the door and said he needed to push the snow away from my windows so we didn't get leaks. He gently open the window and pushed the snow down off the second-story roof.

Outside was a beautiful sun filled day with the road below us that had no tire tracks on it yet.

The inn had plenty of food, there were only a couple of guests and we we're snowed in all the rest of that day. We sat downstairs by the fire, and played board games and read books. Our own little version of a Hallmark movie.

Enjoy your day tomorrow.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:17 PM   #4859
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And to you, Hittenstiehl.

It was beautiful to watch, and Lily has had a blast playing in it.

Maggie
Old 12-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #4860
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Merry Christmas Maggie!!! Enjoy your day!!!

Katy Tex and Wags
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote

« No Game Changer | Top | - »