Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #4541
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
It is a nice outcome, and I have to believe it is in good part a product of their introduction and early moments together....per Bud's suggestions.

Lily is still Lily , but she has clearly accepted Lenny, they are cohabitating nicely, and playing together on a regular basis.

Can't ask for better than that.

Maggie
Glad it's working out. Lily is a good dog, a little uneasy around most other dogs and you are doing a spectacular job. I had hoped for this outcome. Watch them as the puppy could get under Lily's skin, but a quick sharp snap from her and then done is good, long growling etc not good. Enjoy.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #4542
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Bud, and thank you.

Lenny-the-puppy doesn't always take no for an answer, sometimes wanting to play when Lily is tired and has growled at him to back off, but if he clearly doesn't get the message she will go after him with a sharp bark and a snap or two....he understands then.

No biting, but she is a very clear communicator.

Maggie
Old 08-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #4543
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Hi Bud, and thank you.

Lenny-the-puppy doesn't always take no for an answer, sometimes wanting to play when Lily is tired and has growled at him to back off, but if he clearly doesn't get the message she will go after him with a sharp bark and a snap or two....he understands then. [emoji38]

No biting, but she is a very clear communicator.

Maggie
Exactly what we want. Congratulations.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #4544
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Also, please remember that the OIL PRESSURE LOW warning light means pull over and shut down the engine right now. It's very different from the coolant low light you mentioned a while back.

Checking the oil regularly is intended to prevent that kind of adventure.

The feel of reasonably clean engine oil is no different than cooking oil, so we're not asking you to get into anything dirty or grimy. It washes off the same way as cooking oil. Just don't eat it. Take a paper towel along to wipe off the dipstick so you can put it back and pull it out again to get an accurate reading.

I'm sure you can find someone to teach you.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #4545
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Mimi....it really sounds like something I need to learn to do, something necessary, tho a part of me goes at the very thought of checking the oil.

Now that I can very deftly get under my hood , I can probably figure it out myself from the owners manual....which will show me where it's at.

SIL is off tomorrow, and is going to dab a bit of that leftover roof sealant on each of the small rust spots up there....the ones Vermont RV put a bit of silver rustoleum on when they took care of everything else.

He's a good, good man, who found himself a good, good woman...my darling daughter.

Maggie
Old 08-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #4546
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I'm glad your daughter found I good man. Like that old, old song says, they ain't easy to find. Fortunately, I think both my daughters did the same.

Back to the oil checking thing...

When you pull the dipstick out of the engine, have a couple of paper towels in the other hand ready to catch any oil that drips off of it. That way your engine compartment stays nice and clean. Wipe all the oil off the dipstick, then stick it back in. When you pull it out the second time, again catching any drips with the paper towel, some oil will adhere to the stick. The top edge of that oil will fall on a measuring scale embossed in the stick. There's usually a "normal" range marked. If the oil level is below that, get someone to add some oil for you.

Like Protag said, with experience you can tell a lot by the color and consistency of the oil. For starters, you can tell if the guys you paid to change your oil actually did so. Fresh oil should look almost clean enough to cook with (but don't).
Old 08-20-2017, 05:54 PM   #4547
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I will do that, Mimi.

I remember watching Doug check the oil on his souped-up old Camaro that he drove our early years together, so I know what that part is.

I'll find the oil tank, and check it....maybe tomorrow, just for yuks.

Maggie
Old 08-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #4548
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Maggie--Happy Eclipse Day
Back to determining coolant level, as several long time Sprinter technicians told me,
There is no extra reservoir for coolant on the T1N Sprintrs, so don't fill it to top, leave an inch or so to allow for expansion so you don't blow coolant all over the engine compartment.

Very much agree with your experts Mimi and Protagonist

AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #4549
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi there, Al, and good to hear from you.

I have been warned about not filling too full, and shown the mark to fill to, so am careful of that.

Are you in Oregon viewing the eclipse with the Wyoming crew?

Wished I could have got there, but....

Hi to Jan for me.

Been pulling weeds and doing some yard things for DD this morning, tending to the animals and baking banana bread.

Maggie
Old 08-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #4550
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
In Oregon with Gerard and Laura at Burnside Bob's fabulous home/farm/ranch/and
garden. This is a real treat for a city boy, along with Jan and Sir Guinness who is running wild on all this beautiful park like space and eating Miss Figgi's food.

Total Eclipse was spectacular from Mt. Angel, Oregon. Dave will probably post some photos of our experience.

Ed and Jan
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #4551
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad you and Jan were able to get there...we had an exceedingly modest eclipse experience here in New Windsor, NY.

Maggie
Old 08-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #4552
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
We had a partial eclipse here in Texas, but it was interesting to watch through an arc welding helmet. I envy those who got to see it in totality.

Maggie, there won't be an oil tank as such. The oil reservoir is in the bottom of the crankcase, so that dipstick will go down into the engine itself. There may be a second dipstick that measures transmission fluid. If the stuff on the stick is red, you've pulled that one out instead of the one for the oil.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #4553
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Okay, Mimi, and thank you.

I didn't get to even looking for it today, maybe tomorrow.

Maggie
Old 08-22-2017, 05:13 AM   #4554
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Next total Eclipse is April 8, 2024 in Cleveland, OH. No mountains to view from, but should be great.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:25 PM   #4555
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm....2024.

Ohio is certainly closer to Illinois, and I'll hopefully be 75 by then....will I travel in my Interstate to view a total eclipse?

We'll have to see.

Got the new air filter installed this morning, and have been thinking ahead to when I return home in October....having the body shop look at my roof and tell me what they recommend to repair/seal it from further rust spots.

SIL got up there and sealed over all the existing spots for me, but more will predictably develop, so I must do something.

The roof has probably never been waxed, so the some protection wax has provided to the rest of the rig the past 11 years doesn't exist up there.

It's getting old, kind of like me ...at 12/11 years, is it considered "vintage"? It's starting to feel so.

Too hot today to work outside, so finished another really excellent book this afternoon...

https://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Gar...by+kate+morton

Not only an intriguing storyline, but full of phrases that capture real life.

One of my favorites...referencing how life can swiftly change as does a kaleidoscope...a twist...all the same pieces are still there, but suddenly arranged differently, never to be the same again.

Is that not a perfect descriptor....
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #4556
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
That is a very good description of life, all our lives. It is fluid, ebbing and flowing and oh so fragile.

Very little of it controlled by us.

We plan on attending the next eclipse as we hope to be retired and healthy at that time. That's if the best laid plans of mice and don't get sidetracked by the twist of the kalidescope.

So if you are no longer traveling solo we'll be glad to swing by and get you.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #4557
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hi Maggie
A wee bit more on the oil. Do not be alarmed when you see that the oil on the dip stick is black after your initial start up after an oil change. Diesels do that to nice fresh oil and it is normal. The oil in your car will be different and should appear relatively clean.
Really enjoy reading about your impressive trip. Jim
Old 08-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #4558
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
That is a very good description of life, all our lives. It is fluid, ebbing and flowing and oh so fragile.

Very little of it controlled by us.

We plan on attending the next eclipse as we hope to be retired and healthy at that time. That's if the best laid plans of mice and don't get sidetracked by the twist of the kalidescope.

So if you are no longer traveling solo we'll be glad to swing by and get you.
Thank you, Hittenstiehl....7 years is a looooong time from now, we'll just have to see what's shaking by that time.

I know there's.a good number of folks well into their 70's and early 80's out there traveling.

Maggie
Old 08-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #4559
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Hi Maggie
A wee bit more on the oil. Do not be alarmed when you see that the oil on the dip stick is black after your initial start up after an oil change. Diesels do that to nice fresh oil and it is normal. The oil in your car will be different and should appear relatively clean.
Really enjoy reading about your impressive trip. Jim
Hi Jim, and thanks for that information.

I did find the page in the owners manual today that shows me where to check the oil, but by the time I got back here this morning it was too dang hot.

It has been a good trip so far, and more adventures still to come, tho this may be the last trip of this length that I take.

We'll see what next year brings.

Maggie
Old 08-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #4560
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
75 is not so bad. I've been there for a little over a month, and I still get around. We'll see what 82 looks like for me and that next eclipse. I do want to see one in totality. I'll put that on my bucket list.

« No Game Changer | Top | - »