Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #4461
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I also now know where the brake fluid receptacle is, which was full...right there under the hood, not far from the coolant receptacle.

I can do this.

Way to go, Maggie! You bet you can do it.

Next time bring along a paper towel and get someone to show you how to check the oil.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #4462
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Next time bring along a paper towel and get someone to show you how to check the oil.
Don't know about Maggie's T1N Interstate, but on the NCV3 Interstates like mine, you can check the oil level without ever leaving the driver's seat, by using built-in sensors and the dashboard display.

But that only tells you the level, not the condition of the oil. Won't tell you if there's water in the oil due to a leaking head gasket. Won't tell you if the oil has turned to varnish due to overheating. Won't tell you if there are metal particles suspended in the oil due to excessive wear on moving parts. Despite advances in technology, there's no substitute for doing it the old-fashioned way, with a dipstick and the Mark 1, Mod 1 Eyeball. Or in my case, the Mark 1, Mod 2 eyeball since I had my cataracts removed.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:22 AM   #4463
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for all the info, Protag...

This is keeping me awake at night, seriously....there is a hole in my roof, of which I was unaware.

The drivers side door handle is also sticking, and needs to be looked at before it breaks off in my hand, so am going to see what I can find when I drive into Worcester, MA, this morning to do labs. Sigh.

All part of the traveling experience, I tell myself... especially with a beloved older rig, that oozes memories from every single inch.

I will deal with it, and go on. It's what I do.

Maggie
Old 07-27-2017, 05:01 AM   #4464
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Sad to see such work, but becoming more and more common. NOT suggesting you do so, but it's why I am still able I do my own work whenever possible.

The hole needs to be cut out, to the rust perimeter, a piece of aluminum is what I would use riveted down, caulked well first and then caulked again and I use Sikaflex 221 adhesive and caulk. I'd make sure they caulked around the antenna re-install, the area they place the "plate" on prior to being riveted then each rivet and around and over the entire plate. It's the way I installed our Satellite antenna on our roof and so far so good, I just checked it on Saturday and everything looks good.

Good luck, sounds like you have found a good group of VT guys and I concur, have them do it now.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:36 AM   #4465
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
The drivers side door handle is also sticking, and needs to be looked at before it breaks off in my hand,

The door handle might be just a simple lubrication problem. Try a squirt or two of WD-40 and see what happens. That's not the best spray lube on the market, but it's probably the most common. Also, it's clean and doesn't leave behind anything that comes off on your hand or your clothes.

My older daughter was never very mechanically inclined. Her philosophy is, "If it doesn't move and it's supposed to, use WD-40. If it moves and it's not supposed to, use duct tape."
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:50 AM   #4466
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have a can of Electric Wrench, too....thanks, Mimi.

Interstates are not aluminum, so I don't know what will be suggested to plate the opening with, once made, but am told I should find someone who does truck repairs, because of the height of my rig....so am going to do that when I get to my daughter's.

The shoddy work is really, really sad, you are correct, and on the roof it can't be immediately seen by someone who can't get up there themselves.

I'm going to start doing a walk around with repairs, road checks, etc., and have the service guys show me what they have checked and done. I'm a bit anal and OCD in other areas, so I know this is something I can do.

That might have caught the brake issue last year, if they had showed me...maybe would have caused them to look more closely.

The service manager told me, that after I informed him of that problem and sent him pictures of the removed parts, they changed their protocol for brake checks, so that's good...but, still, I'm not really interested in being someone else's learning experience for something like this.

You go in these places and expect things to be done correctly, also that you be advised of anything observed which needs to be taken care of.

With them removing my vent and replacing the spacer in June, how could they not have noticed what was happening around the antennae next to it.

The guy who did my roof had another serious problem with his work in the last few weeks, per the service manager, tho he is a long term employee with many years of experience.

The kindest and most compassionate explanation is that he has been very distracted for some reason, with problems at home, bills, etc., or is having a medical issue of some sort.

Others that he simply no longer cares, is very angry and/or feeling destructive for some reason, or has a substance abuse problem....

Sigh.

Maggie
Old 07-27-2017, 05:52 AM   #4467

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
The door handle might be just a simple lubrication problem. Try a squirt or two of WD-40 and see what happens. That's not the best spray lube on the market, but it's probably the most common. Also, it's clean and doesn't leave behind anything that comes off on your hand or your clothes.
Graphite is best for dry lube, but it does leave some stray dust. Gun oil is also a good choice for small moving parts, as in 3-in-1 oil or sewing machine oil.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:58 AM   #4468
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm....I'll pick up some graphite, Protag.

Once there was gun oil, now there is not...

Maggie
Old 07-27-2017, 06:07 AM   #4469

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Hmmm....I'll pick up some graphite, Protag.
Graphite is what everyone used before there was teflon, and it's still my favorite. One squirt into a sticking lock lasts for years! But these days, teflon spray might be easier to find. But there are many variants of teflon spray. The original DuPont brand dry film lubricant or multi-use lubricant should do the trick. They also make a teflon/silicone lubricant, but I don't think that's what you want for your door handle.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:45 AM   #4470
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I do know Interstates are metal, however, I have done several Van Conversions for Alice and I and some friends, total conversions and when one wanted a sun roof done away with I used aluminum as it's pliable and easy to work with, forms to the roof and easy to fasten down. The van I did this on is a 1977 Dodge and is still going, new everything, except the patch I did on the roof - so I am confident it works. Good luck.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #4471

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I do know Interstates are metal, however, I have done several Van Conversions for Alice and I and some friends, total conversions and when one wanted a sun roof done away with I used aluminum as it's pliable and easy to work with, forms to the roof and easy to fasten down. The van I did this on is a 1977 Dodge and is still going, new everything, except the patch I did on the roof - so I am confident it works. Good luck.
I would be hesitant to put an aluminum patch on a steel roof, due to the potential for galvanic corrosion in the aluminum where the dissimilar metals come together (aluminum is an anode for steel). If patching with sheet steel isn't an option, I'd be more comfortable with a fiberglass patch than an aluminum one.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #4472
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for all the good advice....first, I will find a body shop.

We had a 5 1/2 hour trek to/from Worcester to get my (overdue) labs done...only about a 140 mile round trip, but not a straight shot and about 45 minutes spent driving in circles in Worcester trying to get to the ******* lab.

One of those places tucked almost under an overpass, and my gps didn't know how to get there without going thru private industry...gated, of course, and allowing no passage thru.

The girl at the lab finally talked me there...so frustrating.

The labs are only open M,T & Th in these parts, and this was the closest one.

Part of the privilege of travel.

Maggie
Old 07-28-2017, 03:38 AM   #4473
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Heading into the White Mountains of New Hampshire for the weekend, where there may be no signal...

Maggie
Old 07-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #4474
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I love that you're telling us (all) you might be incommunicado for a few days.

Like telling friends or neighbors you'll be out of town for a few days but all is good.

Enjoy the White Mountains.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:15 AM   #4475
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing, as some tend to worry.

We are in Loon, NH...where there is signal, good coffee, and fresh muffins.

Got up earlier than usual on Friday, did some laundry, emptied the tanks and headed for the White Mountains…also not a straight shot, taking 4 1/2 hours to go less than 150 miles, but we got one of the last two sites at Blackberry Crossing campground…the destination.

A beautiful, clean and well tended campground, across the road from the for-reservations Covered Bridge Campground….in between the two being the Swift River, and…a covered bridge.

This area was in the 1930's a Civilian Conservation Corps camp, made into a campground when they left. I was actually in an overflow site, by a mammoth old fireplace, one of two still here from the original buildings.

As we drove thru small towns all over the country, we often came upon CCC works, which Doug would always comment on….he once ran a CETA region, and was familiar with the background and history of these programs.

Lovely, tho I can't say “peaceful”….lots and lots of traffic and motorcycles on the nearby road, a very busy area…we walked, biked and played in the water, read, and I finished a blankie I've been working on.

All of the NF campgrounds in the “Whites”, as they are referred to, seem to have been privatized out…subcontracted to concessionaires.

They are not the same as those elsewhere, left strictly public…where you find a site, fill out your tag/envelope, pay up, and you're all set. Rates are significantly higher in the concessionaire campgrounds, they are less “free”, and I'm not sure what if anything is better.

A typical "self-service" campground, I hadn't been in my site 5 minutes when the camp host came by to collect and present this....these very same rules being on the "self-service" board, per usual, also in small version tacked to each individual site. I'll stop there....

It was an enjoyable stay, regardless, especially the shallow, rocky river, but lots of people and lots of vehicles, reminded me of Yellowstone, Glacier, etc.

I have really been knocking back the books this trip, and am loving the BookBub email I get every morning….free, $.99, $1.99…can't beat that, and they're right on my trusty IPad, ready to read and taking up no space.

Winding on east thru the White Mountains today, due back in Brattleboro on Monday for the roof re-caulk Tuesday morning.

Talking with darling daughter this morning, SIL's older dog has a bad case of kennel cough...apparently carried to him by the pup from the dog park or doggie day care he attends a couple of days a week, tho pup did not get sick.

Going to call my vet tomorrow to see what they recommend...whether Lily's vaccination should protect her, she should have a booster, or stay away completely.

All is well, enjoying seeing and exploring more of New Hampshire and Vermont...beautiful states, with particularly beautiful rivers....we do like our water.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5126.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	290858  
Old 07-30-2017, 08:18 AM   #4476
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We did have a lovely site, by this beautiful old fireplace...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5128.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	577.5 KB
ID:	290859  
Old 07-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #4477
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning!! Welcome back.. missed my morning "Maggie" fix... when I traveled and expected to use rest stops, I'd get Gracie the shot...It's called bordatella.. that's phonetic.. I have no idea how to spell it... or many other things for that matter!! Hahaha...
The weather continues to be wonderful here... the eclipse center line is 50 miles south of me... it's in the news every day.. Oregon is expected to be a madhouse!!gridlocked traffic... people stopping on the roads... I've read it will be 99% at my location... differently staying home!!!
Keep having fun!! Hugs and love from the Oregon coast...
Old 07-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #4478
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Miss Gail.

Enjoy the eclipse...I will watch it from wherever I am. One of the couples from the Wyoming trip invited us all to their country place in Oregon to watch it, but I'm a bit far away to attend.

It's bordetella, I think, and Lily had that shot in December with her rabies....but I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and be sure she is safe...or, we won't go til the dog is no longer contagious.

Apparently they are having a serious outbreak where D/SIL live.

Lily had kennel cough a number of years ago, got it from doggie day care where they were having an outbreak.

I think she was considered contagious for three weeks.

Maggie
Old 07-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #4479
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Found a car wash with a truck bay this morning, which is scarcer than hens teeth in these here parts, and gave the Interstate a good scrub...it was looking rather grungy, covered with dirt from both Vermont and New Hampshire.

Then worked our way back to the very nice PA campground near Brattleboro, after a stop at a newly opened TJMaxx.

Salmon jerky dog treats for Lily, and a couple of small, nicely scented candles for moi. I do like a candle in the evenings.

Spoke with the vet, who assured me that Lily's bordetella vaccine was good for 12 months, so she was protected, tho I could get her another if it made me feel better ...he also suggested flu vaccines, as that is "going around".

I hopped on I91 for most of our trip here, as the back roads are lovely but a bit stressful to drive....very winding and curvy, lots of small towns so speed limit changes frequently and often with little to no notice...if one is not very careful, one can get a speeding ticket...as I did last week.

First one in maybe 15 years...speed limit was jumping back and forth between 35 and 50 and I slid into a 35 a bit too fast...a deputy sheriff was laying in wait to grab someone, and got me.

The winding and curving wears me out after 3-4 hours of manhandling the steering wheel...I get stopped for the night and just feel like taking a nap, and I am not a napper.

Getting the roof re-caulked in the am...next, repair of that rusted section, and am going to look into getting it coated with something to protect it.

I'm getting a bit paranoid about what's going on up there that I cannot see.

Maggie
Old 08-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #4480
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Roof has been redone, with ProFlex Instant Roof Repair, which Vermont RV says is the best product available....and will allow me to delay a bit having the area around the antennae cut out and replaced.

Took 2 men 3 1/2 hours..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5139.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	291035  

« No Game Changer | Top | - »