Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2017, 05:19 AM   #4421
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I get 99.99% of my e-books from the under-$5 bin, so often end up getting books in series out of sequence, but it seems the right thing to do....as I often buy 8-10 books at a time.
I get this newsletter and find deals on ebooks and have found several new authors that I enjoy from the free ones listed.

https://www.bookbub.com/home

Regards
Dale
Old 07-13-2017, 05:24 AM   #4422
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Mimi, we met at the Texas Vintage Rally. I sure would like to follow you around for a day or two: I would learn a lot.
Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:32 AM   #4423
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That is a great site, Dalwyn, and I have subscribed....also bought some more books, and got some free.

Thank you!

Maggie
Old 07-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #4424
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Okay, folks...I have gotten the hood unlatched, and then opened, and then checked my coolant level, which hadn't budged from the fill on Sunday.

The first hurdle to opening that hood was.....I don't want to touch it!!!

I did enlist the aid of a gentleman nearby, who told/showed me the hood hadn't actually popped in my first attempt, then helped me find the latch and get it open.

The diagram in the owners manual actually shows you nothing about where this latch actually is, nor can you see it by peering underneath...at least I couldn't, and didn't know what it should feel like when I found it.

We then practiced once by myself before I opened the coolant reservoir...myself.

Done...another new skill I did not want to acquire, under my belt.

The nice gentleman, probably in his 80's, said I had made his day, that he loves to help people.

Wasn't that sweet.

It's what we do, we help each other out there on the road...and where would any of us be, without the kindness of strangers at some point, somewhere along the way.

Maggie
Old 07-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #4425
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Did laundry, a little shopping, and gave the Interstate a good scrub this morning, then drove down Michigan's thumb to Port Huron Township park...which is absolutely lovely.

Neat as a pin, plenty of trees, with white fencing and beautiful hanging baskets of flowers on each of the campground buildings.

They have Bingo tonight, and a campground-wide garage sale tomorrow.

Going to be here two nights...roads are level and bladed, so bike riding will happen.

Maggie
Old 07-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #4426
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Flowers, flowers, everywhere...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5054.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	289484  
Old 07-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #4427
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning Maggie!! That does look like a lovely place.. like the flower baskets and picket fences.. nice touch... that pup looks like a challenge!!...
pats for ms Lily... hugs and love from out here for you..where we continue to have fine weather!!! Wowowow!!
Old 07-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #4428
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Miss Gail!

It is, indeed, a lovely campground...where we have walked and biked and walked again.

There are hanging baskets of colorful flowers all around this campground.

It is warm and sunny here, too, recquiring AC by afternoon, but that's okay.

My daughter sent me a short video of Lenny at the local dog park...where he lopes, rather than runs. He's going to be huge.

He doesn't have a mouthful of exposed teeth, tho, like the English Bulldog SIL has, so I expect Lenny and Lily will dance a bit, then be just fine.

Maggie
Old 07-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #4429
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Another first for solo-me...we are in Canada!

Drove into Ontario to spend a couple of days with friends from here, people we met our first year traveling, and who I have not seen in almost two years.

After some fretting about crossing the border, and what was allowed, I had resigned myself to perhaps having to pitch cream, eggs, cherries, blueberries, etc....then the only things the border guard asked about were alcohol, tobacco and weapons.

A new adventure.

Maggie
Old 07-17-2017, 05:48 AM   #4430
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Congratulations Maggie! You did it!
Now, learn to check the oil, brake fluid level, and transmission fluid. It's all pretty easy and some of it just a visual check like the coolant. Oil is a dipstick, and might get on your fingers, but it's easy to get off. Carry a paper towel.

Bottom line is take good care of that engine and your Interstate will keep giving you happy miles to travel. It's not a new vehicle any more, and when we get to a certain age we need a bit more TLC. Unfortunately, the people who are supposed to "do it for you" are sometimes greedy and incompetent.

Speaking of kind gentlemen...
Last Thursday I was on my way to my house build site when I felt an unusual vibration in my rig. I stopped to check and found that the curbside tire had a nasty tread separation. Fortunately, it was still holding air. I had the tools and the knowledge to change the tire, but really didn't want to do it in the broiling hot sun. I pulled into a service station. Young chick running the cash register wasn't much help, but a man standing around inside said he'd change the tire for me. He did so, using my tools and advice, right there in the parking lot. I paid him, although he hadn't asked me to, and thanked him profusely.

Fortunately, the Discount Tire in Bryan had the correct size and I had a new spare by nightfall.

So, just because one knows how to do a dirty job it doesn't always mean one can't get someone else to do it.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #4431
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I was a bit nervous Sunday about driving 5 hours into a different country, but had no mishaps and only a couple of wrong turns, which were easily corrected and on I went.

My AllStays app worked beautifully, showing me instantly that I had made a wrong turn. I love that app.

We had a grand visit with these friends, who live in a 5th wheel in a forest section of a family acreage near one of their children and grands. They are also set-up at a campground in BC, where they winter with the other of their children/family.

He has had some medical issues, so travel into the US has had to stop as he can't get travel insurance.

They and their family are all dog-less, so Lily got lots of attention and hard runs with the kids outside…they yelling “come on, Lily!” and running, she running past them and then coming back to loop around and then run again. They all loved it.

Sweet Lily, she has always been so good with kids.

We talked and talked and talked, cooked, shared our favorite beverages , and had a tour yesterday of the local sights, including Big Chute Marine Railway…a unique system of locks of a sort, which allows boats, kayaks, etc., to traverse a bit of land between waterways...on slings with a small railway.

Fascinating to watch, and like nothing I had ever seen.

Met a woman there from Florida, traveling by boat on a long, inland waterway “loop” with several other boats…she was sitting there taking pictures as they all passed thru, they then spending the night in the marina and moving on this morning. An entire subculture...boating...about which I know nothing.

Back in the US this afternoon, after a “produce inspection” at the border coming back in ....but I passed, and nothing was confiscated.

Maggie
Old 07-20-2017, 04:36 AM   #4432
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We were on the road about 7:30 yesterday morning, tracking east along the beautiful St. Lawrence Seaway and then into the Adirondacks.

Lots of parking areas overlooking the water on the Seaway, with large grassy expanses just right for letting one’s dog rip and run a bit, and where one could probably quietly park for a night if need be.

Some Amish seen in this area, and it is always interesting to see the differences in dress and buggy styles among different sects….these the children's heads are uncovered, and the girls have long braids hanging down their backs.

I also noticed that all farmers the past couple of days are working their fields with tractors pulling cultivators, hay mows or whatever…none of those huge monstrosities of farm machinery that we have in the Midwest.

Interesting, and I wonder what that relates to...

Lots of small, old cemeteries to be seen, with stones dating back to the late 1700’s. We took a couple of hour break yesterday in a small city park, under huge, spreading trees…next to a little cemetery the town seems to have grown up around. Revolutionary War and War of 1812 veterans there...I love old cemeteries.

Would have spent the night there, but for the “dawn to dusk” sign, so instead found a quiet spot to dry camp near an old church. I set my folding bike outside, next to the Interstate, wherever I am, and it has never once been bothered...most people mean you no harm, is the true fact.

On into Vermont today, going to see some of the covered bridges and then on to the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

It is warm during the day, but cools off very nicely at night, very conducive to dry camping in out of the way spots…find some shade, then the vent fan pulls air nicely over the bed, keeping Miss Lily and I comfortable.

Am ready to find a spot to sit for a spell...perhaps in the White Mountains.

Maggie
Old 07-20-2017, 04:41 AM   #4433
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Congratulations Maggie! You did it!
Now, learn to check the oil, brake fluid level, and transmission fluid. It's all pretty easy and some of it just a visual check like the coolant. Oil is a dipstick, and might get on your fingers, but it's easy to get off. Carry a paper towel.

Bottom line is take good care of that engine and your Interstate will keep giving you happy miles to travel. It's not a new vehicle any more, and when we get to a certain age we need a bit more TLC. Unfortunately, the people who are supposed to "do it for you" are sometimes greedy and incompetent.

Speaking of kind gentlemen...
Last Thursday I was on my way to my house build site when I felt an unusual vibration in my rig. I stopped to check and found that the curbside tire had a nasty tread separation. Fortunately, it was still holding air. I had the tools and the knowledge to change the tire, but really didn't want to do it in the broiling hot sun. I pulled into a service station. Young chick running the cash register wasn't much help, but a man standing around inside said he'd change the tire for me. He did so, using my tools and advice, right there in the parking lot. I paid him, although he hadn't asked me to, and thanked him profusely.

Fortunately, the Discount Tire in Bryan had the correct size and I had a new spare by nightfall.

So, just because one knows how to do a dirty job it doesn't always mean one can't get someone else to do it.
I am delighted to hear you asked for help, Mimi ....you, such a can-do-anything sort who knows more of engine mechanics than I ever want to know.

How's the house build coming?

Maggie
Old 07-20-2017, 06:33 AM   #4434
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Knowledge is power, including the knowledge about how to act like a lady in distress.

The knowledge I'd like you to gain is enough to detect the warning signs so you can stop before trouble gets dangerous or expensive, and to protect yourself against shady service people who take your money and leave you in the mountains with worn-out brakes.

As to the house, they should be setting forms about now. When I left there late Friday afternoon, they nearly had the building pads cut down to where they should have built them in the first place.

Daughter, granddaughter, and I are going to squeeze in a short vacation to New Mexico--high enough elevation to find cool weather, we hope. Then it will be back to supervising those guys so they don't mess up again.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #4435
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, Mimi.

I figure anyone can make an error once, and the service manager where the brakes were missed was very responsive...tho then there was the coolant not checked (apparently), and I have now had an opportunity to look at the caulk job they did on the roof....

Everything is properly covered, but not spread smooth as is recommended...it looks instead like the frosting edging of a birthday cake.

This place is closer, but I'm going back to Peterbilt, where there never were any of these issues.

Going to challenge myself to see how long I can go not hooked up to electricity....easy enough in this area, where state parks do not have hookups.

Headed for one tonight, so I can get a good shower, dump and fill with water in the am...and then, the covered bridges of Vermont.

Maggie
Old 07-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #4436
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We spent last night in a lovely, shaded tent site at the beautiful Cumberland Bay SP near Plattsburgh, NY last night...tanks emptied and fresh water filled, we then hopped on the ferry across Lake Champlain this morning and into Vermont.

Spent the day poking around the back roads, looking at historic covered bridges and letting Lily play a bit in the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5084.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	476.0 KB
ID:	290051   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5080.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	594.4 KB
ID:	290052  

Old 07-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #4437
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hey Maggie!!! Looks like we're having lots of fun back there... love Lily in the creek... happy dog... still having great weather here.... be happy!!! keep having fun!! Hugs and love from out here on the sunny Oregon coast
Old 07-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #4438
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And to you, Miss Gail.

Maggie
Old 07-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #4439
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I had my propane filled this morning and asked the young man about the tank, tubing, etc., after reading some posts of InterBlogs referencing replacing these.

He said...these should be inspected at least every 10 years. IB was told they should be replaced every 5.

Mine is 11 years old, and as far as I know no inspection has ever occurred.

Ummm....going to look into that.

I have been gone from Canada now three days, which have been lovely, but it is time to set a spell, a week or more. Been moving often, if not daily, since I left Herbster two weeks ago.

Going to look into where to set tomorrow.

Doug and I loved to wander and roam all over the country, wanting to see it all...every small town, beautiful lake and river...all of it. And, we saw a lot...146,000 miles worth, together.

Wandering alone, after a day or two begins to feel....homeless.

I have my eye on a couple of places, but will likely need to wait to get in until Sunday...

Maggie
Old 07-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #4440
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We saw about a dozen more covered bridges today, were able to drive across a couple, and Lily got her feet in the water several times. Shallow, rocky rivers, just perfect for a pup to play around in.

Vermont is full of beautiful old homes and towns, lots of ponds, lakes and rivers, and a great many very, very serious bikers.

Talked with a couple from Key West this morning at the laundromat, who are doing a 10 day bike around Vermont including thru the Green Mountains. Yikes.

Crossed a number of "Poor Farm" roads, and the very impressive Quechee Gorge.

Slow going, but that keeps fuel economy high, so it has made for a long day...we are settled into a NF campsite in the Green Mountains til the am, then going to head for the only COE campground in Vermont, not far from here.

Checked my coolant again, and it remains good...

Maggie