Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2017, 05:01 PM   #4241
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Great idea. I used to have a vacuum sealer, but it got to where I couldn't get bags for it. Hopefully, they have them more standardized these days. I'll put that on my "to get" list for the new house.

Great news! The POA committee approved my house and hangar plans today. I'll have a building permit as soon as I pay the fee (most of which I'll get back in the end).
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:19 PM   #4242
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good to hear, Mimi!

You're dream is fixin' to become a reality.

I order bags for my vacuum sealer online...never a problem finding them, and it is one of the best purchases I ever made.

Maggie
Old 05-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #4243
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I think the vacuum sealer industry has had time to get its act together. My old one was not even vacuum, now that I remember. Just sealed the food in plastic bags. Sears brand, I think. Stuff from the land before time.

I don't have room here for much of anything else, but I'll definitely shop for one when I get into the new house.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:38 AM   #4244
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
With my new and stronger left contact lens, I can now see much better overall but find I need reading glasses for everything, even my IPad. Ahh well.

Maggie,

If you look around where they sell those reader-cheater glasses, they also make them as sunglasses. These are nice for reading outside.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:57 AM   #4245
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I didn't know that, PB...thanks for that tip!

A couple of years ago I picked up a couple of pairs of inexpensive reading glasses at Hobby Lobby, I think, that have small lenses...suitable for perching on ones nose ...and tiny roses on the frames.

I will need to keep them strewn about so that they are easily accessible when I need them, and even have a pair on a pretty beaded chain that can go around my neck ...those harken back to my navigator days, reading maps in the passenger seat while Doug drove.

These are WUA squares, made into blankets....a really great idea for helping others, and for using up odd bits of yarn.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4672.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	286247  
Old 05-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #4246
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning Maggie.. that's a lovely blanket... good work... yes, I have glasses I every room.. and the chain around the neck ones too... needed them after the cataract surgery...I should have opted for the better lens...

enjoying our finally wonderful sunny weather...although catch up yard work could kill an old gal!!! Getting there... next week I'll get flowers for all the now cleaned out pots and boxes... the rule up here is don't plant til after memorial day... it's correct.. I learned the hard way!!Hugs and love.. pats for the pup...keep having fun!!!
Old 05-26-2017, 11:15 AM   #4247
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Miss Gail!

I didn't make that blanket, found the picture online, but have a pile of blocks to donate to make them.

Here the rule for most tender annuals is not to plant until Mother's Day. I need to do some weeding and feeding of the newest plants this weekend....starting to be at maintenance level, a bit more low key.

Glad you are getting some sunshine out there, which we are having with wind today, and warmer weather is coming they are sayin'...

I had an electrician in my garage attic at 7 this morning, adding an outlet so the garage door opener the kids got me can be installed.

While he worked away, I did some laundry and cleaned the house...which has mostly been neglected the last couple of busy weeks.

Then ran some errands, got my labs done, and picked up a couple of pounds of good, freshly ground coffee from Fresh Market. Yum.

I feel like I've done a full day's work already, and it's only noon.

Time for tea and a bit of down time.

Maggie
Old 05-27-2017, 04:55 AM   #4248
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I think summer got here yesterday. They said it was 96, but I think that might have been both the temp and the humidity. It was a hot, sticky afternoon, and I had to work outside. Oh, well. Such is life in Texas, but usually we don't get the high humidity in this part of the state. One of my airplanes passed its annual maintenance inspection and we got started on the other one, so it was worth the effort. I retreated into the air conditioning and a good shower yesterday evening.

I'm going down to my new place today to check the final locations for the house and the hangar--just stakes in the ground at this point. The electrician who's going to do the wiring called yesterday with questions. This project is starting to move!

By next year I'll be posting with gardening and landscaping stuff like y'all are doing now. Fun!
Old 05-27-2017, 05:11 AM   #4249
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm so excited for you, Mimi.

Humidity has set in here, too, tho that's why we have AC.

My son came by last evening to help me move the desk and soft chair into my formerly-dining-area, and I think it's going to look quite nice.

I love that I will be able to sit there and look out onto the back yard.

My Silkaflex has arrived, awaiting recaulking of the Interstate's roof scheduled for this next week....going to be another busy one, with family "do" next Saturday, then Moraine View the week after that.

Gerard and Laura will be here....

Maggie
Old 05-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #4250
Rivet Master

Good morning Maggie. Nice that you are getting the busy work completed. You have definitely earned time off for a trip. Give Laura and Gerard a hug from me!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #4251
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I will do that, Evelyn.

I ordered a small, inexpensive, Sauder coffee table to go under the windows in my former dining area, which arrived this morning...assembly required, of course.

1 1/2 hours later , I had put together what would have taken one of the Lego immersed grandsons about 20 minutes...only to discover some little something that had to be pounded in and which holds the top on had been pounded in backwards, not allowing the top to attach.

Going to get out the wood glue, and not try to dig these 10 or so thingies out to turn them around.

Desk has been cleaned out and organized, producing more little saved scraps of paper with Doug notes on them....these ones clothing sizes for his son's children when they were quite young, likely jotted down while on a phone call.

Sun is shining.....going to feed some plants, and pull some weeds.

Maggie
Old 05-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #4252
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I have a chair in my workshop that i call my moaning chair. I sit there and go "Why the hell did i not see that one coming. Damn now I have to take it apart and do it over right."
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #4253
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Looking forward to visiting with you. <3
Old 05-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #4254
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
See you soon, Gerard.

Maggie
Old 05-28-2017, 05:50 AM   #4255
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I found a link to this site in a crochet-ing newsletter that arrives in my inbox each Saturday morning....another good place to send warm hats, scarves, etc.

https://friendsofpineridgereservatio...chet-knit-sew/

Skyping with darling daughter and sweet SIL this morning, they have a family of groundhogs living under the shed in their back yard...a momma and 3 babies, who come out together, play and frolic, and feast on their hostas and other plants.

Country life.

Animal control will trap and remove them, for $350 per trap , so they are looking into other, humane options, tho SIL used their presence as an excuse to buy an air gun yesterday.

Men and their toys.

Maggie
Old 05-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #4256
Rivet Master

Hi Maggie. Glad for the kids that it is not a family of skunks, which I had when we moved in to new home 36 years ago....under my concrete front porch! Also, lots of bull snakes everywhere...front and back yards. Features of a new subdivision near undeveloped countryside! That took a lot to get rid of all the creatures unwanted....in $$$ and patience!

We had families of bunnies, raccoons, fox and coyote. Guess who won out on that issue. We still have the fox and coyote. Every night both patrol our street, I guess searching for cats who are allowed to roam free.

Be well, enjoy the weekend. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #4257
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Young groundhog is delicious, just saying.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #4258
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've heard that, but am sure they're not interested.

Maggie
Old 05-28-2017, 06:11 PM   #4259
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Skunks hate mothballs. You can get them to move out by countering stink with stink.

Years ago our new neighbor in Keller found a skunk in her clothes dryer. They'd just moved in to their new house, and the outer cover on the dryer vent hadn't been installed. If I remember correctly, she closed the door softly and the skunk left without spraying. She had her husband install that vent cover immediately.

Years after that, and after many more families had moved into the area, John and I found that a mamma skunk had raised a litter of babies under our concrete porch. We didn't know they were there until the half-grown young ones came out for a stroll.

We do live with critters, even when in the city.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:33 AM   #4260
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My revised living space.

I am already loving sitting here to read.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4694.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	286443  

« No Game Changer | Top | - »