Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #1041
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
In case there was any doubt, for many of us, for me, you are my first morning read of my subscribed items. And very often, I, many of us, send you a virtual hug and kind thoughts regarding your posting.
I second that!!! Hugs Maggie!!!
Old 10-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #1042
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Gail.

You are on my list of people to meet next year, and I hope you are considering coming to Ray Eklund's Wyoming trip next August.

Maggie
Old 10-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #1043
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Maggie and ALL: While traveling west make a reservation and stop by the Spearfish SD City campground. I will be volunteering at the DC Booth Fish Hatchery next door to the campground and we would like to see some AS folks. Just not the first full week in August as that is Sturgis Bike Week and they are already sold out.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #1044
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
i would love to meet you, Bud, and have been to the beautiful city campground in Spearfish, SD, many times.

I will keep that in mind, but please remind me next summer as I am heading west.

Good to be reminded of the bike rally. Yikes, does that take over the entire area.

Maggie
Old 10-23-2015, 05:56 AM   #1045
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Maggie:

I will remind you in advance. Sturgis Bike Rally is actually everyone should see. The town of Sturgis is only about 6,000 people and is about 20 miles from Spearfish during "Bike Week" there are upwards of 750,000 people in the area about 600,000 bikes. When we used to ride we would attend the rally. Yes, the entire area, every campsite, motel and B&B are booked sometimes years in advance. We used to stay 60 miles away and the hotels there were almost always booked in advance. However, we love the Black Hills and would ride all day, still do when we visit, but now it's in an F350.

Figured you might try to slip into the campground on the way to WY. I would love to meet you (and Lily).

Bud
Old 10-23-2015, 06:38 AM   #1046
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
See, all those bikes just hold no appeal for me.

They are loud, they are loud, they are loud.

I understand the appeal they have for some, but I do not share that.

However, I will plan on coming by. I want you to meet Lily.

Don't know when, way too far out to know that, but I will be by.

Maggie
Old 10-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #1047
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Thanks, Gail.

You are on my list of people to meet next year, and I hope you are considering coming to Ray Eklund's Wyoming trip next August.

Maggie
yes, I am planning on that... don't know if I'll do the "wilderness camping" part, but I'll get to Wyoming for sure...
Old 10-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #1048
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds good, Gail.

Maggie
Old 10-23-2015, 03:02 PM   #1049
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Great. The bikes "held" a great deal of appeal for me, used to have no fewer than two at a time and would ride any chance I had, about 25,000 miles a year. Then texting came, many friends killed or injured by texting people. Now its our Airstream and dogs, training, working and saving is my relaxation.

Bud
Old 10-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #1050
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have been immersed in a detail-oriented task these past few days that is nearing completion.....and thank goodness, as I am brain-weary.

Have taken a break to walk Lily, have a bit of pistachio ice cream , and get on these Forums.

It is looking and feeling very fall-ish outside....a bit of rain, overcast, leaves are turning color and falling rapidly, all that.

My most favorite time of year.

Have made myself a promise to get the Interstate winterized and out to bed in its storage lot this weekend, but I haven't gotten to it yet and will not today.

Going to finish up this other thing.... still several hours needed before 'tis done.....have a long soak in the tub, a glass of wine, and watch a movie.

Why? Because I deserve it.

As the primary caretaker of me, those are my priorities for today.

Maggie
Old 10-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #1051
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
As the primary caretaker of me, those are my priorities for today.

Maggie
I like that!!!
Old 10-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #1052
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am done with my task just now, going to get it in the mail and have it over with.

Then.....winterization will be done today, and Interstate safely ensconced in its storage lot til January sometime!

Maggie
Old 10-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #1053
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Interstate is emptied of freezables, winterized, and in its storage spot.

Took Lily with me and walked her back, so we are both tired @ 2 1/2 miles or so. A pretty good little walk.

Now I can refocus on finishing fall chores, inside and outside of the house.

Had an email from Doug's sister, that their mom fell again trying to get out of bed to go to the bathroom....after it took too long for someone to answer her bell .....so she now has a fractured pelvis and is confined to bed but for meals, when they will wheel her into the day room.

I hate it. The last time I talked with Sandy, her mom had fallen 3 times since moved into the new nursing home a couple of weeks prior.....always while trying to get to the bathroom when no one answered her buzzer.

I encouraged her to hire a CNA for her at least for during the night....Louise is not indigent, money would not be an issue. Almost 98, now bedridden.

I hate it.

Maggie
Old 10-26-2015, 07:11 AM   #1054
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Email update from Doug's sister informs me that the fractured pelvis of their mom is anticipated to heal in a few weeks. Seems fast for a 98 year old, but what do I know. I hate that it happened.

I will be up to see her soon, and will take Lily for nuzzling and kisses. For a woman who has never owned a dog, nor believed one should live inside, she really, really enjoys Lily.

It is likely the give and take of affection element, which has become so important to me in the absence of my husband. I understand.

The air is chilled, leaves are turning and falling......I so very much, really and truly, love this time of year.

And, it makes me want to bake.....bread.

Going to get a loaf going here in a bit....maybe two. Why couldn't I bake two loaves in the same day?

Then....choices would abound in my freezer. I like the idea of that.

I made this recipe the other day, it having appeared in a Mother Earth Newsletter some weeks ago. They are simple and delicious, and I am going to freeze the remainder in one cup portions today, to be pulled at will for small bakes with corn tortillas, enchilada sauce, queso cheese, etc. Yum.

Freezable Black Beans

• 1 pound dry black beans
• 6 cups vegetable stock or water
• 1 large onion, diced
• 8 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

The night before, cover beans with water and soak overnight. In the morning, drain and rinse, and cover with stock. Bring to a boil, skim off any foam, and reduce heat to medium. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about an hour, or until tender. Pack into freezer-safe containers, and freeze for later use.

Maggie

IT MAKES ME SAD THAT SO MANY PEOPLE FEEL THEY’RE ONLY ALLOWED TO SHOW THEIR BEST FACE, WHILE THEIR HUMANITY AND VULNERABILITIES ARE FORBIDDEN AND HIDDEN. HOW ELSE DO WE CONNECT, BUT BY COMMONALITY, BY MUTUAL UNDERSTANDING AND TRUTH IN LIFE’S EXPERIENCES? WHETHER IT MAKES YOU SMILE OR CRINGE, A TRUTH SPOKEN IS A HEALING THING.
~ Jennifer DeLucy
Old 10-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #1055
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A loaf of rye and one of wheat with steel cut oats are doing their thing on my kitchen counter, to be baked in the am.

The house will smell heavenly....and, there will be bread...really good bread.

Lily is tired from her very long walk home from the storage facility yesterday. I love when she curls up like this.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	251067  
Old 10-26-2015, 01:33 PM   #1056
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Happy tired doggie enjoying the furniture. I cannot imagine keeping my dogs off the furniture. We use a soft fleece throw that is washable to minimize the possibility of scratches to the leather. The digs push a 'best' into it.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #1057
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
'Nest'

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #1058
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
good morning Maggie.. yes, she looks really comfy there... I love when you post pics with bits of you home like that... to visualize where you are, what you're talking about... Hugs and love from here...gail and gracie who looks like that more than not!!! my furniture is all Early American Dumpster, so they can do what they will with it... hahaha
Old 10-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #1059
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A loaf of rye bread baked, and the wheat/oat loaf now in the oven.

If the DO and the oven are already hot, it is an efficient use of energy to do two loaves, back-to-back, correct?

I found some turkey noodle soup in the freezer from last year.....bread and soup, a perfect, rainy-and-chilly-day repast.

Did you know......if you buy multiples of FoodSaver bags directly from them you can save up to 50%, and with free shipping? Have just loaded up on my favorite, one pint bags. The perfect size for a main dish leftover for one....MRE's in the freezer for a later time.

I have been trying to get an answer as to why my homeowners insurance has gone up 22% in the past two years.....the answer from the underwriters is, "no one reason, it is system generated and based on a multitude of factors".

I am a person who likes to know the what and the why of things....no one reason, no specific answer, for such a large jump in premium is frustrating for me.

I did change agents just before I left for Greece, have since my return sat down and reviewed everything with him....which my last agent never once did....and he was able to reduce it by $100/year.

Just a few phone calls to competitors informed me that my longevity, good driving record, no homeowners claims, bundling, etc., with State Farm, make their rates impossible to beat by others. Seems kind of arbitrary and capricious, but apparently not.

It is a slow news day at the little house, and I guess for that I should be grateful.

We had a saying in the business "don't talk about it, you might wake it up"....so I shall not.

Maggie

The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back.”
― Abigail Van Buren
Old 10-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #1060
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Gail!

You know, I have found the leather holds up very well to Lily. She has been with me 5 years, and on the furniture all that time.

The living room furniture is the only good purchase here....the dining room is antique oak, from my paternal grandparents. He was a carpenter and built the buffet and sideboard. I am named after her, so have her initials....which he cut and placed into the glass doors. My father remembered his Dad cutting those.

Bedroom furniture is also antique, from my maternal grandparents in Mississippi.

Nothing extravagant, any of it, but cherished and memories in all of them.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	251116  

« No Game Changer | Top | - »