Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #501
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Illinios

Hi Maggie,

I will hold the espresso for next March.....

Illinois, August 31, September 1, I will be doing photography along Route 66, specifically, the Sprague Super Service Station in Normal and the McLean County Museum of History & Route 66 Visitor Center in downtown Bloomington. The exact timing is to be worked out, but I will be coming down from Wisconsin.

And, some other venues of Route 66 as well, but have to be back in North Carolina on Thursday, the 3rd.

September 18—20, 2015: Road America Camp Out, Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI. Hosted by Don & Kay Stenz, 920‑693-2146, slem@tds.net

I will be there, albeit as a road racing fan, but parked next to the fine folks from Wisconsin......and expect to gain only 2 or 3 pounds in cheese consumption....

Now, as to photos....if you have not seen the WBCCI International Photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantin...57654660902369

Also, the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantin...57655090501768

and this years Route 66 beginning photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantin...57655056008822

Enjoy,
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #502
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I'm guessing you have disappeared into the rabbit hole and we won't hear from you until the adventure is over.
Waiting with bated breath.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #503
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Back from the wilds.....an amazing, wondrous, incredible experience.

Most were leaving this morning, so I had a couple of days not budgeted and decided to follow the Eklunds to Nevada.....the last of the lower 48 states for the Interstate to bed down in for at least one overnight, and the only one to visit without my husband.

We drove to Boulder City, NV today, are in a full hookup campground, and I will be here til Sunday.

Will write more tomorrow.....we are tired, but happy.

Maggie
Old 07-17-2015, 10:47 PM   #504
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Even though it's only been a couple of days we missed you guys. Nice to know you had an adventure. Pleasant evening looking forward to the rest of the story.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:35 AM   #505
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
So nice to see the words, "we are happy".....

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:22 AM   #506
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
So nice to see the words, "we are happy".....

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
I'll second that emotion.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #507
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It was truly an amazing experience.

Ray made a scouting expedition out of Quemado Monday morning to our planned campsite, and advised the last 1/4 mile of dirt roads in were impassable due to mud, ruts, and standing water. Might be able to get in, in a couple of days, but if more rain came (which it did), might not be able to get out til everything dried up....whenever that might be.

So, he located a group campsite at a state park on a bluff above Quemado lake, which were luxury accommodations compared to what we expected.....paved throughout, pit toilets, a shelter with a large fire pit, water access and a dump station. Even with periodic rain, and one heavy storm, we remained dry and mud free.

The next three days were spent hiking, hiking, hiking.....we found arrowheads, flint chips, worked pieces of stone, and tons of beautiful chalcedony rose. Returning to camp each day, we cleaned our finds up and those who knew helped us identify them.

Thursday.....we got to the Anasazi pit houses, still pretty clearly defined up to 1200 hundred years later, and with pottery shards laying everywhere. Black and white pottery, also the clay colored used to cook directly in the fire. We were all in awe.

The find of that day, likely of a lifetime, was made by Carla.....who spied an odd little point sticking out of the dirt and uncovered a tiny, clay-fired dog. Carefully crafted, with detail for eyes, uplifted tail, and smiling mouth....and but for the bottom of two of its legs, it was in near perfect condition. Probably a child's toy, was our collective thought. Amazing.

We saw lots of elk, spent our non hiking time gathered together, talking and sharing, watching the gazillion hummingbirds....a couple of whom found their way into the Interstate....and simply had a grand time. We were a group very diverse in backgrounds, with some specific and germaine expertise, brought together thru these collective interests....and it was fabulous.

The dogs did well together, and had a wonderful time running loose in our campground, also in the wilderness where there were oh-so-many fascinating things to smell, roll in, and explore.

Lily did great, and was by far not the most aggressive dog there, nor the one needing the most owner intervention. . She was a really, really good girl, and is now quite exhausted.

I was the only solo traveler, and with a walking stick had no real difficulty but for traversing a few ravines...at which time one of the men would lend a hand down and back up.

A lovely, kind and generous group.....great people, led by the most lovely Ray and Nancy Eklund, who guided, provided assistance as needed, and shared their wisdom and information....I just can't say enough.

I will post a few more pictures on Ray's thread.

I am about to have a long shower and do a couple of loads of laundry, then we are going to explore Hoover Dam today.

I will start heading east tomorrow, and hopefully get to Chaco Canyon, if the roads are passable. They have been bad, and we have had more rain, so we'll see.

Nice to be unplugged for a few days, nice to be back and sharing, too.

Thanks, all.

Maggie
Old 07-18-2015, 08:10 AM   #508
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Maggie
So glad you & Lily had a great time! I always enjoy reading what you have been doing!

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:56 AM   #509
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Thanks for sharing. It's not like being there...but almost! Next year....(she says wistfully)....!

Paula

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #510
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
yeah!! for the great trip and to have you back posting with us!!! Hugs and love to the two of you...waiting for stories and piccys!!!
Old 07-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #511
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Looking forward to the story and pictures!!!!!
Old 07-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #512
Rivet Master

Maggie, I'm so glad you had a successful and HAPPY trip! It sounds like you really enjoyed it and I'll bet you are so proud of getting out there, continuing life , as you and Doug had together. Good for you.
I look forward to future postings of your journey, and hope you are able to visit Chaco canyon. Travel on! Hugs! Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #513
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, everyone.

We took a look at Hoover Dam this morning, before it got too hot, saw the campground here, hit an estate sale and made a quick stop at the grocery store.

Boulder City.....the town that built Hoover Dam....is a nice little place.

Laundry is in, Frito scoops and fresh guacamole from the grocer for lunch.

We had wonderful temps this past week.....highs in the low 80's, nighttime lows in the 50's. It was 50 degrees when I left the campground yesterday morning, 104 degrees here when we arrived last evening.

Ray spied this dart point our first day out....let me take a picture of it and then have it. 800-1000 years old.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	243268  
Old 07-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #514
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Thanks, everyone.

We took a look at Hoover Dam this morning, before it got too hot, saw the campground here, hit an estate sale and made a quick stop at the grocery store.

Boulder City.....the town that built Hoover Dam....is a nice little place.

Laundry is in, Frito scoops and fresh guacamole from the grocer for lunch.

We had wonderful temps this past week.....highs in the low 80's, nighttime lows in the 50's. It was 50 degrees when I left the campground yesterday morning, 104 degrees here when we arrived last evening.

Ray spied this dart point our first day out....let me take a picture of it and then have it. 800-1000 years old.

Maggie
Maggie,

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Just the kind I would enjoy: doing something every day. We can hear the excitement in you voice and can't wait to hear more. Being bored without your thread, I finally found Ray's on the Gila trip and have read that every day. I'll have to find more of his threads. I like the way he writes and hear the enthusiasm in what he writes. Thanks for leading me there.

Carol
P.S. Happy for you that Lilly did so well too.
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #515
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Clothing, bedding, and shoes are washed up, and we had a relaxing afternoon just hanging out together.

I am more tired today than yesterday, and it comes from being still after so much activity. No problemo, as nothing is on my social calendar for this evening.

Will be heading back toward New Mexico in the morning, where we'll see about Chaco and where I hope to stop to see Chris and Carla's gallery in Taos before I go home....she weaves beautifully in wool from an ancient line of Navajo sheep, he does something with reproduction furniture to make it appear old.

Been a grand trip, and I have filled in Nevada on my map.

Maggie
Old 07-18-2015, 06:30 PM   #516
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
Hi Maggie,

I will hold the espresso for next March.....

Illinois, August 31, September 1, I will be doing photography along Route 66, specifically, the Sprague Super Service Station in Normal and the McLean County Museum of History & Route 66 Visitor Center in downtown Bloomington. The exact timing is to be worked out, but I will be coming down from Wisconsin.
Tommie, there is a nice county park just north of Normal, where you could set your AS while in town.

No place to park it at the little house, but would love to see you while you are in town.

We can work that out later.

Maggie
Old 07-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #517
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily and I crashed early last pm, then said a sad farewell to Ray and Nancy this morning and headed east.

Out of the backside of the moon of that part of Nevada , thru Arizona and setting down for the night in a so-so PA campground east of Winslow....think Starman and Jeff Bridges .

On to Gallup in the am, where I will check with the Rangers at Chaco Canyon about the state of the roads there.....I really want to see Chaco.

Maggie
Old 07-20-2015, 09:13 AM   #518
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
good morning Maggie.. loving your adventures!!! pats and hugs to you two...
Old 07-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #519
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Gail.

Roads into Chaco Canyon are currently good, so I am heading there from Gallup today.

Maggie
Old 07-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #520
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Call me when you come out of Chaco...

« No Game Changer | Top | - »