Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #441
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, and they had been told to accept it, which is interesting.

I guess if it had come in the mail, they would have had no choice.

I don't care, they have to live with their petty, shallow selves....I have my replacement card, the only credit card I carry, so I can continue on, unimpeded and unhindered.

The supervisor did the right thing, and should do so in the future.

Maggie
Old 07-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #442
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Not accepting mail etc. While in Hawaii my wife and I found a Credit Card on the road, new one. Called the 800 number and they said take it to a police station. Officer there told me, never bring a found card to the police; we have to take your personal information etc and then we find the owner of the card and often they dispute charges and say the finder of the card used their card. So, the police officer and I talked for a long time about motorcycles etc and he said "lay the card down on the counter, turn around and leave". I cleaned my prints off, he laughed, dropped the card and left.

Campground refusal although disappointing does not surprise me, one person probably did sue them and that was it. Good job Cap One.

Get some RFID sleeves for your cards. Ours has been "hacked" three times in the last year.

Have a great trip

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #443
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Bud.

Given that it's not really a "policy", to accept no mail, packages, etc., here, for even their campground hosts, I suspect this man is just your basic crumudgeon.

This card has a chip in it, supposed to protect some from hacking. The fraud guy I spoke with yesterday said hackers mine for numbers, or something like that. He said their next step, if Capitol One had not put the pox on it and closed the card, would have been to create a duplicate card.

Make a better mousetrap, and the mice get smarter.

I've thought about those sleeves, haven't picked one up yet, but I should.

Maggie
Old 07-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #444
Rivet Master

Kudos to Cap 1! Maggie, I'm glad they took care of you. I recently aquired a Cap 1 card myself, and signed up for fraud alerts right away. They have notified me of charges that I have made, (exceeding the alert amt $). I intentionally set the amts low, as I've been told crooks may make very small amt $ purchases to test, prior to slamming big charges on cards. Good to know some companies do take customer service seriously.
I agree, as hard as we work to accumulate a bit of financial comfort...the crooks get smarter at trying to take it away. I do use the RFID sleeves, and can assume they provide some protection.
Following advice from friends, I obtained an extra credit card to keep in reserve, separately from the card that I use...along with some cash reserve...just in case of theft or loss. Stories of friends who were left without c cards, cash, I.D., driver license, keys, passports, etc....when lost or stolen, spurred me to take such precautions recently. Best safe than sorry.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #445
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good ideas.

I do have some back up, so would not be left without anything while awaiting a card replacement.

Watching the situation in Greece carefully....doesn't sound like tourists are having any significant difficulty.

My daughter asked me this morning was I still going....ummm, yes.

Maggie
Old 07-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #446
Rivet Master

Maggie, when is trip to Greece planned? Going alone, or have travel companion, (I hope)? Sounds like an interesting time to go? You may be braver than I!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:48 PM   #447
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Going the end of September, be in Athens 10 days or so.

A longtime friend may go with me, but I have nothing affirmative from her yet.

If not, I will be going by myself, but have small group things scheduled about half the days I will be there....a cooking class, a couple of day tours, etc.

I cashed out frequent flier miles, which paid for most of the trip.

I'm not getting any younger, and there is still Italy and Spain.

So, I'm going.

Maggie
Old 07-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #448
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Hi Gail!

Great to hear from you.

Our mutual friend promised a photo post of the wedding....still waiting and looking, but I'm sure they are crazy busy right now.

Take care.

Maggie
Hi Maggie.. I think the heat's got them!!! loving your trip.. hugs to you and Lily...
Old 07-02-2015, 08:12 AM   #449
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Gail.

I will hear from her, eventually, I am sure.

Maggie
Old 07-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #450
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Watching the Bobby Kristina Brown situation, it is sadly reminiscent of about 16 months ago, now.

I feel sure her doctors told the family what Doug's doctors told me.....that lack of oxygen to the brain for a prolonged period of time causes irreversible brain damage. Her EEG's, and other tests, would have made clear what was....and was not....going on.

Lack of oxygen, I was informed, is a different insult to the brain than that from a traumatic brain injury....from which a person can spontaneously awaken and be at any range between severely disabled to completely normal again.

I haven't read whether they have any idea how long BKB was face-down in the water, but they were able to get her heart started again, so it couldn't have been a terribly prolonged period, as I understand these things.

I started CPR on Doug as soon as I saw he was no longer breathing....although what appeared initially to be him gasping for air was actually not true respiration that circulated oxygen....I should have begun CPR immediately, and if a defibrillator had been available, he might have been saved.

CPR continued via someone until his heart was restarted in the ER some 40 minutes later, or so. Too long, . And no, I don't blame myself, as I did the best I could with what I knew at the time....and he was still alive when paramedics arrived.

Something is better than nothing, they told me....and I took a Red Cross CPR class a month or so after Doug died.....it is something we should all know how to do.

The magnificent ER physician who treated Doug was very kind, but very clear, that there was little hope of Doug regaining "meaningful brain function"...5% chance....as CPR is not adequate oxygenation of the body and brain.

BKB has been off a respirator for quite a long time, and has hung on. Doug lived for two hours after his respirator was turned off, 3 days after he was initially stricken.

I feel very sad for her family at this time. I know something of what they are, and have been, struggling with.

They are in my thoughts, and I wish for her and them a peaceful passing.

Maggie
Old 07-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #451
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have finished "The Butterfly and the Violin"....historical fiction, based on real events, set during WWII, the concentration camps, etc.

Not an upper of a book, but excellent nonetheless, and about the strength of the human spirit in the face of unanimaginble adversity.

Having a cold wave here today, haven't even needed the AC....and just in time for my stint of dry camping, beginning tomorrow.

Maggie
Old 07-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #452
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Maggie[/QUOTE]

Maggie .. sorry about delay in posting wedding picture of Hanson & Jenny ..
twas a lovely affair ...
will pop one on this evening if wifi permits ..
TinCrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #453
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Lili!

Would love to see a photo of all of you in your wedding finery.

I'll watch for it.

Maggie
Old 07-02-2015, 10:15 PM   #454
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
Hanson & Jenny Wedding Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Hi Lili!
Would love to see a photo of all of you in your wedding finery.
I'll watch for it.
Maggie
We've reached Goodlett ..
Texan Heat is Nothing compared to Las Vagus ..
Nothing ..
I have never had a situation where my laptop burnt my hand
and gave up the Ghost ..
Spied a few Airstreams between Dans in Port Angeles to Goodlett ..

Heres the first Picture of the wedding ..
I have a few to show ..
But internet on our travels is iffy ..
Ill try post another tomorrow
Jennys friend made the delicate Fan to match the dress and pretty shoes
I bought for her .. Shoes and dress were shipped from USA to
England back in May ..
in fact .. I have a fan too .. over the moon with it .. beautiful ..
Cant believe .. Hans Jnr nearly didnt make the flight ...
was in a dreadful state on the plane ..
caught some sort of virus and was violently sick ..
still a trifle peaky on the pictures ..
He photographed a wedding himself in LA before his wedding
so it would have been a nuisance all round if it'd gone belly up ..

Toodiloos for now ..

Hotel Room Before the Ceremony ..
Old 07-02-2015, 10:18 PM   #455
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
Picture won't post .. Ill have to email you ..
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-03-2015, 05:22 AM   #456
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Texas in July. You are brave.

I'll post this pic for you.....Hans, Jr., and his Jenny.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	242118  
Old 07-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #457
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Congratulations! May the graces of Holy Matimony fill their days with joy.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:01 AM   #458
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are settled into our new spot, tanks dumped and fresh water replenished.

No electricity, but temps are down about 15 degrees, with a high of only 81 today, so it will be quite comfortable

Also, we are now in full shade, as posed to full sun, and on a level site. . Doug would say "Buddha smiles".

We had a hellacious storm during the night, one of those that caused Lily to snuggle up close and keep her head up, watching and listening carefully, til it was over.

It reminded me that I am in Kansas....during tornado season.

My sweet daughter gifted me a book on Kindle...All the Light We Cannot See...which she says is excellent. Just passing that on.

I read a lot when I am traveling, Doug and I both did, although he liked history, history, politics and more history, and occasionally I could nudge an especially good thriller his way.

His last book finished before he died was "The Brothers Karamazov". I so loved and respected his mind...he was one of the smartest men I have ever known.

I am prone to historically based fiction, crime thrillers, good novels, social issues in the U.S., and some history....nothing too high brow, but it's what I like, and what relaxes me.

Heading into Emporia tomorrow. If I am lucky, there will be a lovely city park where I can settle into a shady spot for the night.

Maggie
Old 07-04-2015, 05:45 AM   #459
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is about 60 incredible degrees here this morning, and I slept very, very well last night.....windows open, cool air coming thru. Absolutely lovely.

This lower area of the Couer Dalene campground is the prettiest in the whole place, in my opinion. Heavily treed, and now full of tenters....but for moi.

Lots of kids, bikes, and dogs here, every site now filled. One family has five dogs. Lily has been a bit overstimulated, as even if she can't see them she can smell them. Hard for her to rest between walks.

They are very relaxed here, with no lists of rules dispensed, in spite of the curmudgeons at the office. Dogs loose at their campsites....not Lily, of course, as she could not restrain herself from confronting any dog that walked by.... lots of music, and just a very relaxed atmosphere. Plenty of patrolling, but no rigidity. I like.

Watching the temps in Quemado, NM, and they are very moderate due to elevation, just as Ray said. .

I truly melt in high heat and humidity, and can barely keep enough fluids in me to replenish what is lost in sweat. No delicate, ladylike, perspiring for me.

Am enjoying the last of Sara's cold brew coffee this morning....mixed heavily with milk. Yum. Going to make a double batch next weekend to take out into the wilds....it will provide an immediate, morning infusion of liquids and caffeine, with no use of propane and fresh water store.

I'm starting to get excited.

Maggie
Old 07-05-2015, 05:30 AM   #460
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Laundry done and fresh produce picked up at the grocery store, I looked for somewhere to park for the night that did not include WalMart.

The lovely little parks are closed 11p-dawn, so we tucked under a couple of trees at the fairgrounds here. Shade, good breeze, moderate temps...it worked.

Unbeknownst to me, this was the site for local fireworks, which went on from 9pm til quite late....or so it seemed...rather endless.

Lily was not happy...not shaking, but stayed very close and would periodically put her paw out to me, look at me imploringly, like...can't you make this stop?

I did finish "All the Light You Cannot See" last night, and it was a really excellent book. Set in the French Resistance during WWII. Loved it.

Going to check out the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve west of here this morning....on my way to Dodge City.

Maggie

« No Game Changer | Top | - »