Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #1961
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie it's actually the cat walking the human.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:19 PM   #1962
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Different Life II

Actually, it's the cat walking it's servant/staff member. 😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #1963
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Maggie
I read your post about Doug & although I know today has to be incredibly difficult I am glad to hear it is a better for you than last year. I'll pm you about coming down Saturday for a walk with you & Lily. We can load up in my car & you ladies can show me the shell inlet!

Hugs,
Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:40 PM   #1964
Rivet Master

Maggie, Deb's cat, a mainecoon, bigger than our little dogs...loves to go for walks in our neighborhood, on leash. The kids come out to pet him and he loves it.

Thoughts are with you for tomorrow. Bless you. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:24 AM   #1965
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, ladies.

Much, much less agonizing than last year, tho I watched the time and there were several...this time 2 years ago.

Twinges of pain, sadness, loss.

I have integrated the experience into my being, is the truth. Part of me and my sum total to date, no longer threatening to overtake and overwhelm me as in the beginning. Thank goodness. Life happens.

Looking forward to seeing you, Jane, and thanks for taking time out of tax season to drive down here. .

Maggie
Old 03-10-2016, 05:11 AM   #1966
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I want to say this....

I determined in that first year that my new, permanent identity...without my beloved husband and life partner of 27 years...would not be grieving widow.

I grieved, I mourned, I did all the widow tasks. I worked hard at accepting something I could not change, and in making the transition from loving him in presence to loving him in absence.

I simply could not be immobilized indefinitely by Doug's sudden, and traumatic, death. It's just not who I am.

My hard-wired, soldiering on, getting thru it and out the other end mentality that has gotten me thru more than one traumatic event in my life has brought me to a better place 2 years later.

With the support of close family and friends...and, of course, my friends here.

I miss him differently now. I love him, cherish him and our years together, but am working to become my own person who hopefully has a lot of life left in her years.

We all grieve differently. Sitting in whatever brand of misery that has descended has never been my thing.

You get up, put one foot ahead of the other, do your part every day, look up and be grateful for what is still good in your life, and carve... yourself...a way...out of it.

I am still in the becoming phase, but closer this year than last.

It has worked for me. It is me.

Maggie
Old 03-10-2016, 05:34 AM   #1967
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Well said, Maggie. And more importantly, well done. I've learned from your example as I follow essentially the same path.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:06 AM   #1968
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are 3 children gone missing near here, last seen about 5 pm last night, and all under the age of 5 years.

Please pray for their safety and that rescuers find them soon.

Maggie
Old 03-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #1969
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Success!

For the first time since buying the new and improved...now modified...sewer hose, I have dumped my holding tanks without any leaking or spillage!

Altho my black tank gauge was still green , when I flushed the toilet last night I could see...ahem...liquids not far below.

Off to the dump station this morning, bracing myself with my head against the Interstate and both hands/arms engaged, I got that ------- attachment head on and tight.

It is bigger and bulkier than the cheaper one, and a real pia for me to get properly in place.....me with the not strong hands. I'm sure I was a sight. Yikes.

I wanted to do a victory dance right there at the dump station.

I can do it all.....yes..I..can.

Maggie
Old 03-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #1970
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yeah Maggie, anybody in line behind you would have probably recognized the dump dance.

A bread question for you. Going to make some bread loaves for an Easter morning celebration. Will bake them Saturday so they (and me) have time to rest.

When I'm at the bread rising stage is a plastic bowl with a lid acceptable for cover or should I stick with the Saran/stretch wrap. Currently using the saran wrap but I never get it sealed well. So i usually lay a dish towel over it also. Does the dough need to breath while rising.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #1971
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The dough does need to breathe while it "works", you don't want an airtight seal.

I use an elastic bowl cover, the kind you buy in packs of 6-8 in the plastic bag section of the grocery store. They are inexpensive, and perfect.

Or, cover with Saran and just lay a towel or lid on top of that.

Post me a picture.

My sweet neighbor ladies have left this morning, and I sent with them some shell candles.

Nice women, very genuine people. I enjoyed them.

The 4,3 & 2 year old children are still missing....they were playing outside alone. There will be some trouble from that.

Maggie
Old 03-10-2016, 10:02 AM   #1972
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
It is bigger and bulkier than the cheaper one, and a real pia for me to get properly in place.....me with the not strong hands. I'm sure I was a sight. Yikes.

Me too on the weak hands thing. Here's a possible solution.

I can't take credit for this idea--stole it from one of Foiled Again's suggestions. Get a strap wrench. Amazon has several available, as will any other tool seller. Just do a search for one, and be sure it has the capacity to go around your hose connector. I just bought one to add to my trailer's dump tool collection.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #1973
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
News bulletin, posted 30 minutes ago...

Three children reported missing from their homes in a swampy area of rural South Carolina were found safe Thursday morning at a nearby home, sheriff's deputies said.

Thank goodness. I am sure there is more to this story.

That's an idea, Mimi, tho twisting it into place is not the problem, it is getting the damn thing on that is such a problem.

I have cut some of the connector off, but it is bigger and bulkier, and just barely fits into the space allowed.

Keeping in mind that the connector is under the Interstate, just behind the propane fill.

I have to get on my hands and knees to peer under there...during which time I must support myself with my hands, which are then unavailable for working the connector.

Ultimately, it must be done by feel alone. There's a reason why this was changed in later models.

I did master it this morning, so logically it will be easier after this.

Let's hope.

Maggie
Old 03-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #1974
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Thanks be to God that those children are safe.

Good luck with the connector. Everything gets better with practice.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #1975
Rivet Master

Maggie, I am so glad those children were found. I am sure there is some interest in fact they were in a neighbor home. Strange. I suppose the story will progress?

I continue to be impressed by your grit and tenacity, Maggie. We all deal with grief and tragedy in our own way. Either deal with it and continue moving forward...or, as some I have known ....collapse in a never ending puddle of depression. The losses I have experienced...difficult as they have been, I think have made me stronger than before. I have chosen to move forward, as you have. That is the only way toward survival, in my mind. The experiences have made me more determined and independent than ever. The love exists...in a different plane.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #1976
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The children were found together, in a closet, in an abandoned mobile home not far from their residence....a mobile home that was reportedly searched in the early hours after the children went missing.

4, 3 & 2 years old....outside unattended. I am biting my tongue, trust me.

More to this story awaits disclosure by the police.

Maggie
Old 03-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #1977
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Could you get a trailer place of a plumber to re route the hook up so it is at the side? Someone re jigged my 73 Argosy so the hook up point was at the back and not underneath. I would have preferred going to the side and may still do that. The back end location is prone to getting bashed on curbs and stuff.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #1978
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That could be a possibility to consider, should I not get this mastered....especially as I get older.

3rd beach walk of the day, Lily comes back so full of sand it is almost pointless to try to wipe anything off her feet.

If I didn't vacuum up after her all...day...long...I swear I would be in 1/2" of sand in here by bedtime every single night.

She is so grateful, tho, it is worth every grain of sand in here...she hops up next to me when we get back, and licks my face exuberantly.....thank you, thank you, thank you..

I wade in the water, tell her to come on, she follows me in, hopping over incoming waves, wagging her tail delightedly. Sigh.

What would I do without her....I don't even want to think about it.

Maggie
Old 03-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #1979
Rivet Master

You have made Lily one happy little girl, and she obviously shows you that. Ou furry babies...what would we do without that unconditional love and affection?!

I wish I could take Mikki with me on my trip to Fort Worth on the 30th, but, this is a strictly business trip and she will need to wait for a pleasure trip...soon. I finally worked out the logistics...tow the Bambi down, overnight in Amarillo (RV park), stay 2-3 nights in the Interstate at the dealership...instruction & more instruction...drive Pathfinder home, overnight in motel in Amarillo> home on the 3rd April. Fly down April 6, 2 nights at dealership in Interstate, then back to Amarillo RV Park, then home next day. Reservations are made. Trip & maps set, maps & triptix ordered.

This will give me a taste of what our trip will feel like this fall. Can't wait!
Old 03-10-2016, 08:20 PM   #1980
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Maggie,

We love reading your blog. Someday we hope to meet you and say THANK YOU. We know a couple from RI - our home state (WBCCI New England Unit- Region 1) who had the pleasure of meeting you and Doug. They had very kind words for the both of you.

Best Regards,

Titu & Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote