Old 12-14-2015, 06:49 AM   #1373
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Mimi .. Saddened to read your post ..
Im strong in some regard
but weak in others and greatly admire ones left behind who soldier on ..

Thanks, Lili. Not so sure I'm strong, just don't have any other choice. Life goes on, and I've got to go with it.

Condolences for the loss of Muffin the first. Great picture of Muffin the second. You post such wonderful photos.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #1374
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Different Life II

Such a cute, vivacious pose. Birds are something we've had in the past. The most memorable was a budgie that could squawk much louder than our appliances.

But yes, something in overheated Teflon coated pans can be very bad for birds. Their lungs are very delicate. Sad that Muffin came to an end, but now that you have eliminated the offending articles it should go better.

Please do post more pictures, that picture says volumes about Muffin Too's personality!

Personally, I think bread and many other things taste better in cast iron cookware, once the iron is well seasoned. Parchment paper is also a good tool.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #1375
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Been bustling here and there, with my volunteer Monday's and finishing up Christmas things for the grands.

It is also the time of holiday programs at church and school, and concerts for the wee ones with instruments, so my calendar is more full than usual.

Good to be some busy, keeps me from feeling too sorry for myself.

Vacuuming this morning, I am reminded, once again, that Miss Lily is my biggest cleaning problem. What a crazy shedder she is, in spite of regular brushings She's so worth it tho.

We're fixin' to have a cold spell here, so the wood box inside is filled to the brim and plenty more is into the garage. I am hauling in directly from the-pile-that-must-be-moved....why move it twice, right?

Lifting those bags so heavy that I can barely get them off the ground, I remind myself how good this is for my aging bones.

Have finished a sack of heavy duty hats for Pastor Perkins' men, and will be dropping those off tomorrow. He seems a really good man, and I like him.

Miss Emma wants to help Grandma put up her Christmas tree this weekend, and I think I'm going to take her up on that. It will be nice to have company for it.

We went to a 6', black steel ornament tree a few years ago....less mess, and it so beautifully shows off ornaments we have picked up from our travels around the country, as well as England, Ireland and Paris.

Memories will abound. Sigh.

Maggie
Old 12-15-2015, 11:00 AM   #1376
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Good memories are a good thing, and a great comfort.

Our dogs deliver "wall to wall dog hair" when they just walk through the room. We gave up and installed tile throughout the first floor where the doggies hang out. It's a lot easier to vacuum😄

Old 12-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #1377
Rivet Master

We awoke to a full howling blizzard this morning, so far we have 10", it is still snowing. Temp is 18*, windchill is 11*! I put coats on the little dogs to go out for pottie. Only one was eager to go out...Bella Diva, our feisty little Pom. She ripped around like a furry snowblower, using her nose to push through the snow. One happy little girl! The others tiptoed around, did what was needed, ran back inside to stand in front of the Dyson heater in the sunroom. Little woosies!
Old 12-15-2015, 12:48 PM   #1378
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wow! 10"! We could stand some snow here.

Looks like we are going to have a warm-ish Christmas. The kids will miss not being able to sled while they are off school.

Cleaning my daughters old room last week, and the toy shelf in there, I packed up and put away things the grands didn't want me to get rid of but that they have clearly outgrown....leaving a somewhat bare looking shelf, but for books and art supplies.

So, I did what any good Grandma would do.....got myself a Starbucks, went shopping and selected a few more age appropriate puzzles and games at Tuesday Morning.

One of those places I need to limit my entry into.

Maggie
Old 12-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #1379
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would have liked to have had a long conversation with Albert, over tea or a good glass of wine.

The thing about evil that I know to be true, tho, is that there is so much power inherent in truly evil systems that it is nearly impossible to do anything about them.

One can try, but anything that exists in the dark....is simply not in the light.

Don't ask where this came from just now....you really don't want to know.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	253888  
Old 12-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #1380
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Understand all too well. And Albert was not just a great scientist. He was a very astute human being and observer of the human condition. And I agree. That's why I DO things when I need to instead of standing by.

Ask my two rescued off the street pups about that one, as they cuddle with their people and sigh as they lay their head down to nap safely off the mean streets. They know they are safe now.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #1381
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Try two Fur Bombshells. Especially our new four and a half year old, pat here sides and she explodes. Before taking her into a school or hospital I have to pat her sides for a good 2-4 minutes to pound it off, only lasts a couple of minutes, however, then it's back. Bud as stated, well worth the trouble.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #1382
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The last cleaning chore on my to-do list completed this morning....the entertainment center, housing the TV, stereo, DVD player, and....our CD's, most of which are Doug's music....Sara Vaughan to Dr. John and Kermit Ruffins to the Beach Boys.

He was the musc man, the music master, who loved music of all kinds....he knew who wrote what and when, if it was covered by another band and when that occurred, who had died and under what circumstances. He should have been in a garage band in his high school 60's, but he couldn't carry a tune and didn't play an instrument.

A storehouse of trivia, I used to call him, and often told him I need remember nothing because he remembered it all.

And so, I have bagged up over 100 CD's really more his taste than mine, but for a few that are special to me and us , and will pass them on to his kids next week. Done, with twinges of sadness...but no tears. Life.

There was a head-on collision near Peoria a couple of days ago, in which two died, and on a stretch of road infamous for cars striking deer and tossing them thru the windshields of oncoming vehicles.

This one, I heard on the news this morning, was due to a "medical event". Like Doug, something immediate and catastrophic, causing a driver to cross into oncoming traffic. If Doug had been stricken while we were driving, an accident could have taken us both, instantly. It happens all the time.

If I had left to deal with laundry, walk the dog, etc., instead of been sitting next to him on the couch, he would have been dead there when I came back. 5 minutes was all it would have taken.

As awful as it all was, I am grateful he was eventually revived and we had a couple of days to process what had happened and was going to happen. I believe he came back, just for awhile, to give us that and for me to have my daughter and his with me at the end. Thank you, honey.

I have been feeling a bit disgusted with certain members of humankind the last couple of days...can you tell...and have to consciously remind myself not to dwell there. Do what you can, and let it go, I tell myself.

The young man and I last week talked about this....that dark thoughts and that circling-the-drain feeling are places to visit when bad things happen, not places to stay. He got that.

We talked about the importance of finding and acknowledge things in our lives that are good and which we are grateful for, to help pull us up and out of it. He got that, too.

I always come across something that helps me look up and distract myself from dark thoughts and feelings, and a book I found tucked back on a shelf in the entertainment center did it for me this morning.

Story People, by Brian Andreas, purchased at least 20 years ago, and 5 of Brian's prints which are framed and in various parts of the little house.

He has good words, we liked him and appreciated his ability to put his finger right on it.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	253966  
Old 12-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #1383
Rivet Master

Maggie, your memories of Doug are so vivid, so deeply heartfelt...almost makes one feel as if we had met...although, of course, we had not. It is you, who is such a powerful and descriptive writer that makes is seem so. It is obvious , through your writings, to see he was a wonderful man...one of those rare and beloved ones. I am so happy for you that you have those great memories to sustain you through these difficult times.

I urge you , if you are not already doing so...keep a journal...write a book, if only for your eyes. You are a gifted writer, a woman of deep feeling, capable of expression in a way that many cannot. You will find it helpful to you and yours in years to come. One of the most valuable books I own...is that one that began as a journal after my Lynn died, and I transformed it to book form, including poetry, (that I had never written before, or since). It has comforted me so many times in the 25+ years since she died.

I understand how dark thoughts can creep in.....there is so much corruption, violence, evil...apparent in the world in which we live. I too, feel powerless and frustrated that the ones in office seem oblivious to the dangers we face. They are suppose to protect us, and that is not happening. He seems to think if he feeds us a line of "B.S., that we will feel safe...not so. My only hope is that we can protect ourselves through caution and common sense measures. I know there is goodness and kindness in MOST of our fellow men and women....and I cling to that, and pray that somehow, goodness and decency will prevail!
God bless. Evelyn.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #1384
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Evelyn.

Doug was a very good man.

Sorting thru the leavings of his life with me, there is still a surreal quality to it all.

Maggie
Old 12-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #1385
Rivet Master

Maggie, just a thought....is there some way that you can go back through your posts from you and Doug in the early years, then, forward...perhaps to transfer those posts to paper written form? I'll just bet there is... Maybe via 'cut and paste'? Think on it.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #1386
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, someone else suggested that, and my response to them was that I did not want to go back and re-live any of it.

I still feel that way, but thanks for the suggestion.

Maggie

« The Argue Thread | Top | - »