Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2016, 07:43 AM   #1921
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Both our girls are certified Therapy Dogs, we recently expanded our visits to several Hospice facilities. Tough to visit, and not to my surprise, but a surprise to Alice and the folks who work there is both dogs "know". Those close to the end of life our black Abby will not go in the room, she we found out is afraid of death - long story. The yellow Hopey goes in and acts differently, calmly places her head in their laps or if on the bed rests her head near theirs until they can reach over and pet her.

Someone in our area makes the prayer shawls for Hospice, many of the folks really love them, and anything is greatly appreciated by them we have come to find out. It's a great deal of comfort you provide those in Hospice - Nice

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #1922
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I like to think the shawls provide some comfort...tho from strangers, they are a gesture of compassion, and I believe we all should do something.

Doug and I used to say "we give/gave at the office", when people would suggest we do community volunteer work.

We just did not have excess emotional reserves for our off time, doing what we did, where we did it , and especially as we were both also raising children and maintaining households.

There is only just...so...much...of one to go around, and I went above and beyond for my clients, anyway. It was the right thing to do, and they always appreciated it.

And so....now, I crochet, and it is enough.

Maggie
Old 03-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #1923
Rivet Master

During my nursing years, I was saddened to see that so many family and friends withdrew from patients.....at a time their support and love was most needed. Some did not seem to possess a nurturing spirit or compassion for those in their last days of life.

These patients were starved for some kindness and compassion....even from strangers. In nursing homes , hospice centers, on the days therapy animals came to visit, patients were happy for the attention. They would cry, asking the handlers to linger....just a little longer. The therapy dogs, cats, even a Lamma seemed to sense the need in those patients the most.

Bud, you provide a much needed service in your therapy dogs, and Maggie, your gifts of love are treasured by those who receive them. God bless you both. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #1924
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If it were me, or a loved one, I would appreciate that someone took the time to make a shawl and donate it...I have to believe most others would feel the same.

it is a good day for shelling at Edisto Beach...found my first sand dollar for this trip, also three of these in varying color and sizes...gave the sand dollar and the two larger of these away, kept this one for myself.

Came back to my site to find someone had left 4 tangerines on my picnic table.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	258130  
Old 03-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #1925
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The weather here has improved...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	612.3 KB
ID:	258131  
Old 03-04-2016, 06:07 PM   #1926
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
beautiful shell there Maggie... and looks like you've worn lily out compeltely!!!! keep having fun!!! hugs and love
Old 03-05-2016, 05:06 AM   #1927
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Maggie:

The folks we meet love the shawls, some don't even know what they are or from where they came, but they cling to them. Your work is cherished by those who receive it, I've seen their reactions. Evelyn, you are right we seldom see families visiting when we go and staff will guide us to rooms where no one visits.

Bud
Old 03-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #1928
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The Hospice Center has volunteers who visit patients without family, and they want me to do that...with Lily...but I don't know that I will ever be ready to take that on...to visit the dying.

Volunteers who don't crochet can do that, I figure.

I have taken things to the county nursing home at Christmas several times, who always have a too-large number of patients without family and/or friends to visit them.

It is hard to imagine being alone in the world.

Another beautiful day in the offing, and the winds still are calm.

Maggie
Old 03-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #1929
Rivet Master

Maggie, you are correct in your hesitation. I did home health nursing for hospice patients for 6 months after Lynn died. It was some of most emotional nursing that I did out of all, rarely left one without having a good cry in my car afterwards. It did eventually take a toll, as I was unable to separate my patients from my off duty time. I am glad I did it, though. Evelyn.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #1930
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The winds have picked up again....but, we have had three good walks, two on the beach.

As I call her back when she heads toward the dunes, Lily has also taken to looking with me at the shells that cover the shore here.....pawing at piles lightly, wandering on, pawing gently some more...what's in here that is so interesting? she seems to be thinking.

Maggie
Old 03-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #1931
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Evelyn, I believe that we in helping professions have to care to do our jobs well....and then, sometimes, we care too much and have to search and find an effective way to do both.

I still, always, preferred to care. It's what separates the wheat from the chaff.

Maggie
Old 03-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #1932
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Caring too much is a danger. I know of several friends in the nursing profession who cared too much and got into relationships with men who took advantage of them. The men wanted a mother rather than a partner. One needs to establish limits.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #1933
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You're preaching to the choir, here.

Maggie
Old 03-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #1934
Rivet Master

Caring is deeply engrained in one who has the nurturing spirit, and those traits help in the profession, however, one rule a nurse should hold high, is never to cross the line between caring for a patient and allowing a romantic relationship to occur. That is a real NONO!
It does happen sometimes, I guess if one lets that guard down.

Maggie, I agree...we should never stop caring. The day one loses the ability to care about our fellow humans....that is the day one is no longer truly human.
I'm glad your weather is improving, and that you are finding some if your shells. That big conch shell is pretty. Maybe Lily thinks she's helping you in your search.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:47 AM   #1935
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Just a piece of unsolicited advise on dogs in Hospice-Hospitals-Long Term Care and or schools. One reason we went through the task of getting our two Labs and our selves certified with Therapy Dogs International is insurance. Anytime we are doing volunteer work at any place or facility we deem is in the interests of the patients or students as Therapy work we are insured as well as our dogs for $1,000,000 in liability against anything the dogs might do or we might do.

In today's society I hate to say it but we would not be volunteering without the insurance. As you who have worked in these fields know many of these folks are extremely frail and even a dog pushing on someones arm can start internal bleeding etc. The patient will not sue, but the family might.

Bud
Old 03-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #1936
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A beautiful, sunny day here, tho the winds keep me inside but for walks....door open, blinds up, I have all the visual advantages of this beautiful place without the sand in my eyes.

Nothing to report...crocheting, cooking a bit, visiting with neighbors and admirers of the Interstate.

Maggie
Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #1937
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Trying to shake off something that's been interested in settling into me , I went to bed early last night....before the long awaited, 2 hour Downton Abbey finale.

Once morning things were taken care of today, I downloaded it and watched it on my IPad mini, while finishing another prayer shawl. .

I had to see it.

I really hate to see this series go, and glad the finale was filled with happy endings.

Late to the party, Doug and I had just started watching it when he died. He loved Downton Abbey, especially Maggie Smith's acerbic character and her outstanding one-liners.

"It is good to hear the English language spoken the way it should be spoken", he would say. . Sigh.

Sunny again today, and seems to be a bit less wind.

Beach walks, shell gathering, crocheting, visiting....repeat.

Maggie
Old 03-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #1938
Rivet Master

Maggie, Deb and I are also avid Downton Abbey fans. We delayed watching the finale till tonight, as she had to get to bed early, (up at 5:30 for work). Glad you didn't give away the ending. LOL!

I'm really getting antsy for camping season. My Bambi needs a bit of service prior to getting out and away. I found a 5x7 reversible rug for patio, a 2 slice toaster, and a set of dishes. I'm getting ready remotely. Doing what I can.

Sad to hear of Nancy reagan's passing at 94. She was a class act. One of the past elegant First Ladies....I miss that from the White House.

Have a terrific day...good luck finding pretty shells.
Evelyn.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #1939
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
good morning there Maggie... it's sunny here...between downpours!!! I'll take whatever sunshine I can get... should I bring the Downton Abby dvd's to the Shirley Valentine gathering???we could have an on going showing... TV's all over the place running different things!!! Ahahhaa... looking forward to all this... hugs and love... keep enjoying your great beach adventure... I sure am enjoying it from here... I do miss camping... you'd have to be tough to camp here this time of year... or a duck!!! but it's coming!!!
Old 03-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #1940
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Bring yours if you like, Gail....I have Seasons 1-5, and am sure I will have to have them all.

It made me a bit teary watching the finale this morning, as some of the characters who deserved happiness got it, and I liked that.

Maggie