Old 12-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #1331
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Absolutely, Evelyn.

That kindness of strangers during times of struggle and despair.....sometimes we receive it, other times we give it.

Watching NCIS last night....Tuesday night was always must-see TV for us...there was lots of recitation of "Gibbs rules" for life. Doug loved the Jethro Gibbs character on that show, and quoted him often.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #1332
Rivet Master

We missed NCIS Tuesday night, so, watched it on demand last night. It is one of our favorites. Gibb's rules...many are quite beneficial....common sense rules.

We have had unseasonably warm temps these past few days, which abruptly end tomorrow, with rain, then snow. Christmas decorations are up...a herd of golden deer pulling a sleigh, and a big teddy bear, 2 polar bear....round out the outdoor decor, along with projected firefly lights on trees and front of our 2 story home. Deb did all of it, as she loves Christmas as much as I do. I transitioned all outdoor decorations from the heavy steel framed deer and sleigh of past years...to modern lite weight mesh framed decor....much easier for Deb to handle. Old steel framed ones are donated to VVA/ DVA.

We will only have Deb's son and daughter to visit on Christmas...unmarried, no kids. I miss not having little ones at Christmas. That was always the biggest joy....the children. Only one GDTR is married with children, and she lives in Durango. Her sister, Crystal and Ben, have just returned from travel to Scotland and Ireland. So will not be back for the holidays. This should be a fairly quiet Christmas for us. That's OK...quiet is good, also.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #1333
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Dropped Lily at my son's and made a run north to Trader Joe's today....am now stocked up on coffee and a few MRE's for my freezer. I wish we would get a TJ's in Central Illinois.

Although Doug has been gone approaching 2 years, now, this will be my first Christmas at home without him since 1986.

Some here know that Lily and I ran away from home mid December last year and didn't return until the end of March. I had a mini meltdown early December, and just needed to be away from here.

We went to Louisiana and spent Christmas in Natchitoches, a favorite place of ours. Cold as the dickens, with nighttime temps in the teens, but a good place to be if I had to be away....and, I did.

Told the grands that Grandma was going in search of her equilibrium, left them their presents, we Skyped on Christmas Day and they were fine with it.

I got thru it, and found my equilibrium along the way.

And so, am putting things up and out, making the usual preparations that I bypassed last year, and it is a bit painful.

Although this is not my year of firsts, this is my first real Christmas as a widow.....where I do all the things he and I always did, just as my new, solo act.

Including.....having four grands here for a few days after Christmas. I am most looking forward to that, and it will all be okay. We will bake cookies together, talk about Grandpa, do some art work, go to the Children's Museum, talk about Grandpa, etc. Life goes on.

One of Doug's legacies to me is that I pay more attention to politics....he was a political scientist at heart, read omnivorously, understood things I was only barely aware of, and taught me so much.

Not to start a no-no-noooo discussion here.....but I did read a comment this morning by a Mayor somewhere, referencing a certain Presidential candidate, that really caught my attention.

He said "But in the end, they want someone who can land the plane."

Is that great or what!? I loved it.

It has been an interesting race so far.

Maggie
Old 12-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #1334
Rivet Master

Yup! Landing the plane is a really GOOD THING!

Maggie, my thoughts are with you as you work your way through this holiday hurdle. Look the positive...focus on the good memories. God bless you. Evelyn.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:07 PM   #1335
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Old Saying - "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

You are now on step two.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:05 AM   #1336
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, got to keep moving forward, doing it, getting thru it.

Still life left to live, new places to explore and favorites to return to. Going to keep going til I can't go no more, and it's what he would want. I would have wanted the same for him.

This time next month, I will be making final preparations to head to SC, where I will stay til early April. Starting to get a bit excited about it. Edisto...

A beloved area, and trying something different this year....working on carving out a modified version of retirement travel, that is more suited to solo me. We'll see how it turns out. Always a bit like putting on someone else's coat.

I have been making soy candles the past few years, scenting them with essential oils, and love the way they smell and burn.

However.....red, beautifully scented candles are a favorite for the holidays, and I found a couple of these little guys at TJ Maxx a month or so ago, so indulged....especially as I can reuse these oval glass for my own.

Lovely. On the end table, next to the in memorium JPeterman Christmas catalogue....a Doug favorite. He loved the clothes, but especially the stories that accompanied them....invoking visions of Bogie and Bacall, Hemingway in Paris, mysterious people liaison-ing with equally mysterious others, etc.

These catalogues arrive regularly in Doug's name, and I always hang on to them awhile.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	253695  
Old 12-11-2015, 07:32 AM   #1337
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Free parking...

Hi Maggie,

If by chance you need to stop overnight on the way to South Carolina and are coming through Greensboro, I have a full hook up guest parking for you or anyone who needs to stop. 50 or 30 Amps....

And, please remember there are a lot of us who are in the same "got to keep moving" group and we will never forget our sisters and brothers.
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #1338
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
Hi Maggie,

If by chance you need to stop overnight on the way to South Carolina and are coming through Greensboro, I have a full hook up guest parking for you or anyone who needs to stop. 50 or 30 Amps....

And, please remember there are a lot of us who are in the same "got to keep moving" group and we will never forget our sisters and brothers.
Thank you, Tommie.

Haven't plotted trajectory quite yet....it will be fairly last minute and contingent on weather.

It does look like we are fixin' to have a fairly mild winter.

It would be great to visit with you pre-Alumalina, so I will let you know.

Maggie
Old 12-11-2015, 08:00 AM   #1339
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Good comment on "someone who can land the plane". I have two degrees, Political Science and Meteorology, don't ask. My experience in SO and as an MTI in the military pointed me in a direction which was opposite of virtually all my professors when I went back to college after service, but thankfully back then civil discourse was encouraged and accepted - miss those days of violent - respectful discussions in class.

Be strong - its a journey and you are encouraging many thru your posts.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #1340
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Bud, and my friends here encourage and support me....cannot imagine having gone thru this without y'all, who held me up since Day 1.

Looking forward to meeting you in Spearfish next year, Bud.

Maggie
Old 12-11-2015, 08:28 AM   #1341
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
We look forward to meeting as well. We are heading to FL after Christmas and coming back up the coast in late March so we might be by Edisto, we used to have a place on Fripp, next Island South and love the area.

Merry Christmas and have a Happy and Safe New Year

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
2017 30' Classic
Old 12-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #1342
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That would be great!

I will be at Edisto the first two weeks of March, then doing laundry, cleaning, cleaning, and more cleaning after two weeks on the beach....before Alumalina the last weekend of March, after which I will head directly home to deal with taxes, etc.

Take a look at the Alumalina rally, Bud, if you are going to be in SC late March. A great group, and you would meet a lot of Forums friends,

Maggie
Old 12-11-2015, 08:39 AM   #1343
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
We will take a look, it all depends on what the weather is like back home in PA.
thanks

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
2017 30' Classic
Old 12-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #1344
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What I like best about Friday's these days.....I clean my little house, shake the rugs out, all that good stuff.

I can then sit down with a coffee or tea....admire my handiwork, and crochet for a bit.

This is pretty tasty.

Not a Tommie cappuccino, but very good for an instant, better than the Starbucks packets I tried recently, and beats a trip out for the real thing.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	576.1 KB
ID:	253710