Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #1881
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Second cup of coffee, on the beach....pour, step into sandals, and 10 seconds later, there you are.

Lily took care of business, while I sipped and walked.

It's why we're here.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 04:24 AM   #1882
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Three long walks yesterday, two of them on the beach in spite of serious winds that made being outside anywhere very unpleasant.

Supposed to be 69, sunny and calm today, and I will sit outside on my little patio area I have created.

I got online to make reservations here for next year and, with SC taking reservations 13 months in advance, my favorite sites are already gone.

Being a compact Class B , I decided to go with one of the smaller ones tucked into the dunes next year, near the bathhouse but more quiet and secluded than the larger sites....and where opening out onto the dunes will allow me to leave street side windows uncovered at night.

I love seeing the moon thru my windows when I wake in the night, with surf sounds lulling me to sleep.

Sun is just starting to come up....it's going to be a beautiful day.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 04:32 AM   #1883
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
As more and more "baby boomers" retire, 10,000 a day, reservations at any nice place become more and more difficult. I am guessing this will continue for longer than we will be camping.

Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:16 AM   #1884
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm sure that's true, Bud.

I want to tell you that I have been following your suggestions when walking Lily and coming across another dog, tho being pocketless most of the time makes carrying small treats more difficult....if they are in my hand, she wants them.

I watch the Today show every morning, and the yellow lab (Wrangler) they have on-air is being trained with small treats in the manner you described. Keeps him close and not at all attentive to the audience when outside.

I do pull her up short and high, placing a bit of pressure on her neck while telling her "no", and that is very effective. It doesn't take much, then she knows what I'm doing and goes right along.

She does not self-regulate, however. I have to watch her every minute, and initiate something pre-emptive when another dog approaches, or she's off.

Still a work in progress, but we're better every day.

Speaking of which, I am training myself to speak of "my late husband".....past tense, rather than present, as if he is just in the restroom or the Interstate, and will be out after awhile. It's time.

The words do not roll easily off my tongue, I must say.... it takes a conscious effort, and brings emotion with it.

It is the first of March, so a soft mental countdown has begun, which I feel will likely happen every year at this time for the rest of my life. Better this year than last, however. Life.

It was so warm walking on the beach this morning that I had to take my jacket off and tie it around my waist, also small flying things were out when we got back and so I have my screen in the side door.

It's going to be a beautiful day.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 06:36 AM   #1885
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
I want to tell you that I have been following your suggestions when walking Lily and coming across another dog, tho being pocketless most of the time makes carrying small treats more difficult....if they are in my hand, she wants them.

I watch the Today show every morning, and the yellow lab (Wrangler) they have on-air is being trained with small treats in the manner you described. Keeps him close and not at all attentive to the audience when outside.

I do pull her up short and high, placing a bit of pressure on her neck while telling her "no", and that is very effective. It doesn't take much, then she knows what I'm doing and goes right along.

She does not self-regulate, however. I have to watch her every minute, and initiate something pre-emptive when another dog approaches, or she's off.

Still a work in progress, but we're better every day

Great to hear. Couple of suggestions: I always have treats, either in shorts or pants pockets or jacket pockets. There are also "treat bags" available on Amazon, Petco, Petsmart etc that can be worn on the waist and carry the treats. My wife uses a "fanny pack" for treats. Once Lily gets the big picture that treats are better than growling and lunging at another dog she will focus on you and will also focus on wherever you normally keep the treats. I am training a Border Collie now to be a Emotional Support dog for a neighbors son who came home from college in deep depression. I use treats with this dog and he in only four lessons has down just about what I want and looks to my right hand, which is great. I give the treats now sporadically, so he never knows when he does what I want if he will get his treat reward or a praise reward, both of which he loves.

The collar should be very high on Lily's neck, right behind her ears. This is were her Mom used to grab her and scold her or move her, so it's an imprint that I did something and I'm being corrected.

Lily will never be 100%, she will based on what you've told me get to about 85% or maybe 90% and will in time correct herself most of the time, but should not be left to make these decisions on her own. The lack of proper socialization between 8-16 weeks, is usually the cause of her "fear aggression".

Congratulations on the progress, keep it up as I know you will. The rewards of their companionship far outweigh any faults they may have.

Thanks for letting me know. I love to hear progress reports.

Bud
Old 03-01-2016, 07:01 AM   #1886
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
The next time you're in a place that sells hardware, buy a cheap canvas nail apron. Two pockets and long strings to tie around your waist. Perfect for dog treats and/or equipment.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:01 AM   #1887
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
I am enclosing a picture of the little guy I'm training to be a PTSD and Emotional Support Dog for a neighbors son I mentioned, pro bono, I don't charge friends. He was a rescue and has some issues but we are working through them. This is his second day with me, and I often use my two as examples for training dogs. He picks up on their attitude pretty quickly and watches. Like most dogs he only wants to please. He is in the middle. Looking right at me, which is the first thing we almost always work on,

I'd steal him if I could.

Bud
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bandit.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	258027  
Old 03-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #1888
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I do exactly that with her collar, Bud, and she gets it. )

Lots of people have been here the entire, discounted month of February, and are pulling out today. I found the same thing at Huntington Beach.

I love this place, but think that a month even here would be too long....but, I may change my mind at some point. A woman's prerogative.

Pan bread a-baking for breakfast. I'm on beach time.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 07:21 AM   #1889
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I am enclosing a picture of the little guy I'm training to be a PTSD and Emotional Support Dog for a neighbors son I mentioned, pro bono, I don't charge friends. He was a rescue and has some issues but we are working through them. This is his second day with me, and I often use my two as examples for training dogs. He picks up on their attitude pretty quickly and watches. Like most dogs he only wants to please. He is in the middle. Looking right at me, which is the first thing we almost always work on,

I'd steal him if I could.

Bud
Sweet pups, Bud.

That black lab and Lily could be siblings, tho I say that about most every black lab I see.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 07:22 AM   #1890
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Beach time.
I love that idea!
For me, next year, maybe.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:29 AM   #1891
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
The next time you're in a place that sells hardware, buy a cheap canvas nail apron. Two pockets and long strings to tie around your waist. Perfect for dog treats and/or equipment.
That's a good suggestion, Mimi, tho I have never been a fanny pack person. Never owned a single one.

If the leash correction continues to work, I will probably stay with that. I don't treat her every time I praise her, regardless.

One of her many redeeming qualities is an extreme desire to please me...thank goodness.

When I have her loose on the beach, I have to watch her to keep her out of the dunes, because she really, badly wants to roam around in there....no, no, no, Lily.

She creeps back toward them, but comes when I call her and seldom do I have to head her direction with my "you are in big trouble, girl!" tone of voice.

I am consistent with her....the most durable behavior being that which is intermittently reinforced, you know....but probably not as strict as I could be.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 07:31 AM   #1892
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Thanks, my two are terrific dogs, yellow is almost five we have had her since October and black is 2-1/2 had her since a puppy. They are about as balanced as I can get them, so they serve as good examples, most of the time - after all they are dogs, good days and not so good days.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:32 AM   #1893
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Beach time.
I love that idea!
For me, next year, maybe.
It would be fun for you to join me here, Mimi. You would love it.

I have just reserved Feb 26-March 13 of 2017, and the two weeks immediately preceding at JICP...taking advantage of their 30% discount for a week or more in January and February.

I like discounts. . Never pay full price for anything you don't have to....spend less, do more.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #1894
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Thanks, my two are terrific dogs, yellow is almost five we have had her since October and black is 2-1/2 had her since a puppy. They are about as balanced as I can get them, so they serve as good examples, most of the time - after all they are dogs, good days and not so good days.
And, you know, unless they are broken...which some are ...consistency coupled with love, affection, and the meeting of basic needs will give you back in spades more unconditional love and devotion than any other living thing...spouses, included.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #1895
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
You're ahead of us in a few areas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
That's a good suggestion, Mimi, tho I have never been a fanny pack person. Never owned a single one.

If the leash correction continues to work, I will probably stay with that. I don't treat her every time I praise her, regardless.

One of her many redeeming qualities is an extreme desire to please me...thank goodness.

When I have her loose on the beach, I have to watch her to keep her out of the dunes, because she really, badly wants to roam around in there....no, no, no, Lily.

She creeps back toward them, but comes when I call her and seldom do I have to head her direction with my "you are in big trouble, girl!" tone of voice.

I am consistent with her....the most durable behavior being that which is intermittently reinforced, you know....but probably not as strict as I could be.

Maggie
Blackie is still prone to charge out the door or gate and run off to tour the neighborhood on her own. We need to work on that, big time.

I have had dogs who, like Lily, were abandoned on their own before we found them. No way were those dogs going to run off and leave us. We didn't even fence them in, back in the day when this place was pretty much in the country. Once a dog has known true hardship, they place great value on a home and a good owner.

Blackie was surrendered to the pound by previous owners, and never knew that lost and hungry feeling. The "come" command works when we're in the yard, but is useless when she's excited about seeing something new.

Bud, I'd appreciate your advice, if you're reading this.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:50 AM   #1896
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Edisto is a little far for me, the way I'm thinking right now. And, all the spots will be gone before I make up my mind. Maybe it's year after next..., but I like your idea.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #1897
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It would be a long ways for you....

There are beautiful beaches in Texas, Louisiana, and Southern Mississippi, and not nearly so far.

Edisto, however, is the best beach campground.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 09:13 AM   #1898
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
One step at a time is all I can do right now. I have a bunch of stuff to do here, as I plan to re-locate, probably twice, in the near future. Plan is to sell this house, move to a second home we've had for years, about 60 miles from here, for long enough to re-organize, then move somewhere near where younger daughter lives in Bryan, TX.

Since winter doesn't motivate me to leave home, the first long trips will be in the hot part of the summer. North.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #1899
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I understand.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #1900
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Maggie, you make getting away sound so inviting! Can't wait until retirement when we can come and go at our will!

I feel as you do about beer -- perhaps that is why I haven't tried it yet. Although, I believe my friend meant that a very small amount of beer is to be added to a glass of wine to "cut" the sweet taste, she said you can't taste the beer. When it is extremely warm outside, and I have an iced mug, a half beer tastes good, but that is the extent of beer drinking for me. However, I do enjoy a glass of good wine in the evening. On the first Friday of each month, we have a group of friends who meet at a local winery for a few hours -- that is whoever can make it, it varies from month-to-month. We get to catch up on what everyone has been doing and just enjoy our friendships.

Outside rugs -- we use one when the campground allows it; we have been to a few which didn't. You are so right, they do help a great deal with keeping the inside of our trailer clean.

By the way, does Edisto SP allow dogs on the beach all year long? We went to Edisto five years ago or so and enjoyed it so much, but that was before "our boy", Cooper, came into our family. The only thing which we didn't enjoy about it was that we were in the overflow area down the road. We were there in May.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote