Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #1821
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks.

I will take the gasket I have removed and drive into town in the next couple of days....won't need to dump again til Saturday, so there's time.

I am sitting in my chair outside....good for me ...and my neighbors have just been by to visit. Nice.

Maggie
Old 02-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #1822
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The couple next to me are from Prince Edward Isle, and are another of the many fellow travelers who have encouraged me to go to Newfoundland.

I'm thinking I need to plan a trip there, while I still have plenty of life left in my years.

Anyone been?

Maggie
Old 02-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #1823
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Different Life II

Once you find a compatible gasket, consider glueing it lightly into place with a very thin layer of silicone RTV caulk. Use very little so you can pry it out and easily replace it when it gets worn or damaged. Use just enough to keep It from easily falling out.

Grab a couple spares for the tool kit...these things tend to get deranged at inconvenient times.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:45 AM   #1824
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good tips, thank you.....like always having a spare plug for the hot water tank.

Reading elsewhere online about these tending to leak, there is a recommendation to cover the top surface with petroleum jelly, which I think I will do, as well.

Maggie
Old 02-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #1825
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Miss Maggie... These are adaptable for help tightening and loosening items.. Especially where the shape is uneven

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0131...ds=strapwrench
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #1826
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm....that looks like it would be a great addition to my toolbox.

Thanks, Channing!

Maggie
Old 02-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #1827
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Auto parts or hardware store - Lowes of Home Depot also should have a gasket that will fit. Or buy a new hose or connector at Walmart, we did this last year when a neighbor stepped on our hose at night. Still have the Walmart special and it works fine.

We have often considered Newfoundland and would like to go, but the only way to get there is by ferry, Ocean Ferry of which there are two major issues. (1) I joined the Air Force back in 1968 for several reasons, one of which was to never be on an ocean out of sight of land. (2) Our dogs would need to ride alone in either the truck or the trailer for the entire trip - no visits allowed as I checked with the company Or they stay in a crate in a small room with other dogs in crates. For us, simply not happening. But then Number (1) is the big one. I am not afraid of anything, but being on the ocean, out of sight of land with sharks around is just something I avoid - big time.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #1828
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm...I'll have to look into the pets on ferry issue up there.

Lily has always ridden in the Interstate on ferries, and if she can't do that I wouldn't go.

Maggie
Old 02-21-2016, 01:01 PM   #1829
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Maggie, Lily can ride in the Ferry, anyone of them and I think there are several. One a six hour, one longer and then up North a very short one. There are two Newfoundland Caravans each year.

Bud
Old 02-21-2016, 01:06 PM   #1830
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am not a WBCCI member, and wouldn't do a caravan, anyway.

This year is planned out....maybe 2017.

Maggie
Old 02-22-2016, 04:31 AM   #1831
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
We are members, but have not and have no plans on a caravan. Like to do trips at our own pace and place.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:34 AM   #1832
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The people I have talked with about Newfoundland just rave about how beautiful it is, and how hospitable to RV'ers.

I'm going to look into it....have a cousin on the coast of Maine that I could visit on the way up.

Maggie
Old 02-22-2016, 04:36 AM   #1833
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Sounds like a plan. We consider it each year, but then pass and head out west. Time will tell - we love Maine. Try Cobbs Cook State Park - wonderful place with 28' tides.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:49 AM   #1834
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So, have made a reservation at Devils Fork SP on Lake Jocassee in SC, for the run-up to Alumalina....if any other been-south-and-working-our-way-north Alumalina attendees wish to join me.

Jane/Skitique reports this campground as beautiful, dog friendly and a favorite of theirs. Good enough for me.

Going to give myself a couple of days, post-Edisto, to do laundry, clean out sand, run the Interstate thru Blue Beacon, clean out sand .... and anything else I feel I need to do in a heavily populated area, before ambling toward the mountains and settling us into Devils Fork on the 15th.

Glad that Lily and I got to the beach early this morning, because we no sooner returned here than it began to rain, and hard.

I'm actually going to cook again today...two days in a row, a lot for me these days.

Maggie
Old 02-22-2016, 08:45 AM   #1835
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Book recommendation

Sweetland

By Michael Crummey
Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #1836
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Maggie,
For your gasket, search for this on Amazon:
Camco 39834 Sewer Hose Replacement Gasket - Pack of 4

Less than $7. They should ship to wherever you are. I have kept them hot with parts for my new trailer.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #1837
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Al & Missy....going to make a run in the morning to the WalMart supercenter up toward Myrtle Beach....one of those so enormous you almost need roller skates... and if they don't have it I will order it and have it shipped to Edisto....tho I'm going to have to dump again this weekend, and really need something before that.

I can alway MacGyver it in some way, if nothing is available in these immediate parts, as at least I now know what the problem is.

Thanks for the book recommendation, Vince. Looking that book up, I believe I have read that one.

That is a favorite time period of mine....both of my maternal grandparents serving in WWI...he a surgeon, she a nurse, they met in medical personnel boot camp and married after the War.

There is a new series on PBS, Mercy Street, which I have seen a couple of times. It is on at 10pm out here, which is late for me , but I have caught it enough times to know that it interests me. There will always be reruns.

Set during the Civil War, in a southern Hotel commandeered by Union forces to serve as a hospital. Not as riveting as Downton Abbey , but the setting is compelling to me, having lost many ancestors on those battlefields or in hospitals such as this one.

It seems to have been well researched, as to detail, right down to the most common treatment of injured limbs being....amputation.

I see the Chaplains, ministering to the dead and dying, and think of my great-grandfather, who was a minister before and after the war, and Chaplain during it.

It is going to be one of those days....raining again, Lily sleeping peacefully on the couch.

Maggie
Old 02-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #1838
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Reading a news article about the recent death of 93 year old Samuel Willenberg...the last survivor of the very few from the Treblinka concentration camp....and how the deaths of camps survivors will eventually leave no one left alive to tell the stories like only someone who has been there can.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

"a looming transition in the field of Holocaust commemoration, as historians and educators prepare for a world without survivors and the challenge of maintaining the memory of the Nazi genocide without the aid of those who witnessed it."

May we never forget.

Maggie
Old 02-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #1839
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Amen. My mother was stuck in Austria during the war. She has a Topaz hand made ring that a jeweler made for her as a present just before my grandfather smuggled the man and his family out of the county to avoid the camps.

She has some scary stories about that period in Vienna. She was under the Allied bombings of that city, and left just before the Russian army invaded....

Scary times.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:59 AM   #1840
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Watching and reading the news this morning, there seems to be at least one mass shooting every single day ..... sleeper terrorists, Uber drivers, for Pete's sake...personal, murder/suicides, whole families at a time.

Such...insanity...how can it be predicted, and stopped.....it simply can't. So many people are silent running out there, provoked unpredictably to senseless murder by who only knows what.

It just...makes...me...sick, and I don't believe names and photos all over the television help the situation. There...I said it.

Post rain, Lily had another wild beach romp yesterday, and was a pooped pup last evening...and, still. A good thing.

Looking at Newfoundland.....it is really far. Too far. Could probably do Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and get a similar experience, I suspect... plus drive the entire trip, sans ferries.

Going in search of gaskets this morning....and, still, Riesling.

Remembered that I bought several years ago a PlatyPreserve wine preservation system, which Doug & I used successfully several times, and located it stuck away in a cupboard.

Eliminates a) chilling a bottle of wine in my tiny frig, and b) keeping the remainder, when I am a one glass at a time girl.

http://www.campsaver.com/platypreser...dDtxoCLL_w_wcB

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	257689