Old 04-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #113
4 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Brookeville , Maryland
Maggie, Sorry about the communication problems with Peterbilt. 5k miles is about right for a oil change. Something else to think about . A living will. My dad had a do not resuscitate and no feeding tube in his will. The doctors had the hospital lawyer look at it before honoring it. I had the feeling that there interest and my dads wishes were conflicting for their bottom line. My mother had a massive stroke with no living will. This was complicated with enfisema caused by years of smoking. Not a humane way to go. Jack Kevorkian was on to something. Euthanizing terminally ill patients to avoid pain and suffering. It's a hard subject to address and maybe inappropriate for this site. I have no doubt where most people on this site is heading in the after life.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
If anyone is going to the Pets & Paws rally in Provincetown, MA....wish it were closer....please find Joseph and Gabrielle from NJ and give them hugs from Maggie, please.

Maggie

Will do! PM or email if you like ☺️

Old 04-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #115
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Will do! PM or email if you like ☺️
Thank you.

Maggie
Old 04-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #116
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Maggie, Sorry about the communication problems with Peterbilt. 5k miles is about right for a oil change. Something else to think about . A living will. My dad had a do not resuscitate and no feeding tube in his will. The doctors had the hospital lawyer look at it before honoring it. I had the feeling that there interest and my dads wishes were conflicting for their bottom line. My mother had a massive stroke with no living will. This was complicated with enfisema caused by years of smoking. Not a humane way to go. Jack Kevorkian was on to something. Euthanizing terminally ill patients to avoid pain and suffering. It's a hard subject to address and maybe inappropriate for this site. I have no doubt where most people on this site is heading in the after life.
They kept telling me today that they recommend oil changes every 5,000 miles, yet past and current stickers were for 6,000 miles. I pulled it off and showed it to them, and I was 1,000 miles shy of their recommendation.

But, the bottom line was that I not only didn't ask for it, I told them I didn't need it yet and they didn't call me...just did it. Not okay.

It was the principle of the thing. My vehicle, my choice, my money,

I'm sure it was an error, they are good folks, it resolved satisfacorily, and I will continue to go to them.

I'm sure they will be more careful in the future.

Maggie
Old 04-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #117
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have thought about a living will, but think the power of attorney for health decisions will take care of that.

I trust and love my son completely, and he would consult with my daughter, who I also trust and love completely.

I am fortunate to have them. They will do the right thing, if the time comes that decisions are needed.

Fortunately, Doug and I had talked about life support, vegetative states, etc. One of those things, tho, that you discuss because you "should", never imagining you might have to make those decisions.

Until it has happened to someone close to you, it just isn't something one has on their radar.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2015, 01:07 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
On another note.....

Had a small spat with Peterbilt this afternoon,

as I asked for a road check only and to check/replace the filters if necessary.

They did a full oil and filter change, without my knowledge or authorization, and at only 5,000 miles.

I knew this wasn't due, and told them that when I called to schedule, the computer confirming it all.

After some discussion, first on the phone and then in person, getting nowhere, I asked to speak with the service manager, told him I was willing to absorb some of this but not all, etc., etc......he then took the labor charges off and I was agreeable with that.

Peterbilt has serviced the Interstate since day 1, and we have been very happy with them.

This was done overnight, apparently, an error....but still. I shouldn't have to pay for something I didn't need, didn't ask for and didn't authorize.

We sort of met in the middle, and it is okay.

I need a glass of wine. It has been something of a day of agitation.

Wine is good.

Maggie
Hi, actually, you sort of did ask for this to be done. "Check and replace the filters" Nothing really to check on the oil filter and if you replace the oil filter, you change the oil too. You need to be more specific about what you want/ask to be done.

In California, the dealers have to give you an estimate of the job and you have to sign it, for authorization, when leaving your vehicle. You know what it will cost in advance.

In Oregon, You tell them what you want done, and you sign for it and pay your bill after it's done. You won't know the cost unless you ask first.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:35 AM   #119
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The service manager said something similar....what I told the guy who scheduled me...who remembered it...and how it was translated when the work was done, were two different things.

I did tell them I did not want nor was due for an oil and filter change. If they had called me....

My knowledge of these things is quite limited. What I remembered was that sand gets into a filter of some sort, which then needs to be changed.

We got it straightened out, and I have learned a few things.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Do you have a local community college or other organization that offers a "powder-puff mechanic" course? If so, you might think of signing up, when and if you have time. It's not rocket science--if you can cook and crochet, you can do this.

Knowledge is very useful when talking to folks who are going to work on your vehicle. You can sort of see a light come on in their eyes when they realize you know your stuff. They stop talking down to you, and the less than honest ones realize they can't cheat you.

Actually doing the work yourself is a personal choice, but having the ability to do it can get you going when something happens on the road.

Your life, so it's your choice. My free advice is always worth what you paid for it. I think you're doing great just as you are. I've enjoyed reading your posts.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:20 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Hi Maggie:

I change the oil in our Diesel F350 every 5,000 miles - it's called for every 7,500. Wear and tear, towing mountains, desert, ocean with salt air and to be honest it's much easier for me to remember 5,000 than it is 7,500. It's not a function of age either. You can't be hurt, except financially by changing early, oil changes are tops on the PM list, absolute tops.

As to living wills et al, we are re-doing everything this week as it so happens. Our new attorney brought up our dog - who takes her or them, do we give them money to do so etc. So, we have designated my nephew and his family, after asking, as they love her, and put in $10,00 for her care. Both our kids are allergic to her so although we are sure they would make do, it's better this way. You've got your son, but just a thought in case for Lily.

We also are having wills, financial, health powers of attorney, living wills, and add ons for specific items like my gun collection, watch, truck and Airstream so they are not part of the assets and given to the person I want them to go to. My wifes rings etc to our daughter et al. Attorney says even though everyone gets along, better to have it down in writing, I agree.

My Best.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #122
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, mimiandrews, and for the great advice.

There is a part of me that is so averse to physically getting into some of these things myself, and that is the honest truth.

Maybe I should, but I just don't want to.

I have learned, here , that you don't check/change an oil filter without changing the oil. Who knew. Certainly not me.

I just knew the sand could be an issue, and did specify no oil and filter change. It wasn't due, and I planned on dealing with that in the fall. That seemed enough to me, but it didn't get written on the work order...that was the problem.

I have been into Peterbilt a couple of times since Doug died, and do trust them. i truly don't feel they were trying to take advantage of me....and that has happened with others ....it was a miscommunication, a matter of terminology.

A class might be a good idea. I'll have to think about that.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2015, 07:29 AM   #123
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Bud.

I have a good will, have some specific things designated, and am also going to gift some things as the grands get older....things I want them individually to have, know that their Grandpa gave them to me, etc.

My son would care for Lily, should the need arise.

I am fortunate to have adult children who are good, solid, moral, loving, wonderful human beings. We talk, they will make good decisions if needed.

They both have a good moral compass.

I guess I can largely take credit for that, and I will.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2015, 07:37 AM   #124
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Seems like you have a longtime, good relationship with Peterbilt. I'd chalk this up to a simple mistake and let it pass. Appears they had your best interest in mind. So hard to find a good service center anymore. Better to have them do a little extra than to do a little less. Peace,jim
Old 04-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #125
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There will also, eventually, be the sorting and distributing of household items Doug & I purchased during our marriage.

My children have very good relationships with his, and I envision them doing that together.

There are 9 grandchildren, at this point .....most of them will eventually have their own households.

I have bedroom and dining room furniture that belonged to maternal and paternal grandparents, which will stay within my biological family, but items we purchased together can and should be distributed among them.

I should perhaps put some tags on things....Doug had started to do that with some furniture he had since he lived at his mother's home.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2015, 07:40 AM   #126
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Seems like you have a longtime, good relationship with Peterbilt. I'd chalk this up to a simple mistake and let it pass. Appears they had your best interest in mind. So hard to find a good service center anymore. Better to have them do a little extra than to do a little less. Peace,jim
Exactly.

That's how I feel, Jim.

I did feel I needed to be firm on some monetary compromise, tho, under the circumstances....don't want to set the bar too low.

Maggie