Old 11-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #1233
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Only a few CD's gotten thru, but it is a start. I have four taped together in there, with a note that I had found them in the storage area of our car.

I need to sort them all, and give some to his kids...one of these days.

It is still snowing here, winds are blowing and temps are dropping. Blizzard like conditions....I can't imagine what the highways are like...but I am not on them.

This card has lived in a magnetic frame on my refrigerator since Doug gave it to me at least 20 years ago. Brian Andreas..Story People.

We have four of these in 8x12, framed around the house....one of which says "I'm rather tidy..for a dinosaur", which I bought for him, as he always referred to himself as a dinosaur... born at least 100 years too late, stuck in and wanting the old ways.

That was my Doug.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	252622  

Old 11-22-2015, 06:03 AM   #1234
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post

I think this will be a lucky year for me, turn 77 today....lucky double 7! At this point in life...i'm happy for each new birthday! Feels great to survive each new year.
I missed this yesterday, Evelyn.

Hope you had a great day.

Maggie

Old 11-22-2015, 08:24 AM   #1235
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Happy Birthday to you....
Old 11-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #1236
Rivet Master

Thank you, and yes, it was a very nice day. Cornish game hens with potatoes and carrots, cake, of course. 3 dozen long stem roses, and 2 mixed bouquets, pajamas...were my gifts. I love fresh flowers in the house, and roses are favorites. 2 of the grands were here, both in their 30's. They love coming to Nana's house...they know they'll eat well! I received lots of hugs and love...so, today I feel well loved! LOL! Evelyn.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #1237
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Temps have not gotten above freezing today, but the sun has been out, and that has helped.

Cold. 9 degrees when I got up this morning, and 62 in the little house.

My 11 year old Matrix started right up, bless its little heart, the biggest problem being getting inside as there was a frozen crust underneath a good 3" of snow. I did it, tho, and got it all cleaned off....look at me, honey!...and went to get my Sunday papers.

Lily was housebound by yesterday's blizzard, but has had a romp just now, so all is right in her world. It's as warm as it is going to get today, methinks, so we just went.

Lots of Toby and Patsy on the stereo this morning....no tears, but lots of memories. We both knew all the words by heart. Sigh.

Have finished another prayer shawl, and almost done with this cowl neck poncho thing....it is really pretty, and going to be very warm. Did it in deep navy.

Skyped with my darling daughter this am, our Sunday routine, and she was telling me of all the cleaning she has been doing...moving this and that, scrubbing behind things, etc. Her husband asked her "what in the world has come over you?", and she said " my Mom is coming to visit!"

She cleans every week, and keeps things up, but hasn't yet really taken up deep cleaning as a routine, once or twice a year....which I of course do. Move the appliances, furniture, all those things. She does it occasionally, when the mood strikes her, but is a working woman so her weekends are precious.

She has hired a cleaning service to do a 3-hour "spring cleaning", right before I arrive in a couple of weeks, "but they don't move furniture, Mom!" Funny.

Doug always said I had a social worker's eye for dirt, , and I know there is nothing like company coming to get one looking critically at everything.

I actually have a pretty relaxed attitude about other people's housekeeping, and that dust and clutter are different from filth...tho my standards at home are pretty high.

I like clean.

Maggie
Old 11-22-2015, 02:53 PM   #1238
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
For her love, I crossed the barren desert, I crossed the angry ocean, I climbed the highest hill, I swam the widest rivers...

She was upset that I was never home...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #1239
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Old 11-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #1240
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This variegated yarn....called Rosewood ....as border on a new prayer shawl, is so beautiful I want to climb inside it and make a nest.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	26
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	252728  
Old 11-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #1241
Rivet Master

Maggie, that will be quite lovely. Lucky recipients!
I agree, nothing so satisfying as a sparkling clean home! My cleaning ladies come every 2 weeks...do such a nice job. This is one really special thing I do for me!

Sorry we sent our blizzard to you! LOL! We have another due for Thanksgiving...low 5 in A.M., snow due overnight and through the day, high of 20's. Brrrrr! This is SUV COUNTRY...and I love my big Pathfinder. Deb is equally thrilled with the Murano I bought her a couple years ago. Good to know we can go when we need to.

Stay safe and warm! Evelyn.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #1242
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My Monday afternoon volunteer stint for hospice is going to be good for me. Nice people, nothing terribly challenging to do but I have had that in spades in my life....something productive, outside the house, is what I need.

Also gives me a reason to put on some nicer clothes, a bit of makeup. A good thing.

Lily finds this cold weather a bli too invigorating for my taste. She gets out the door and jumps and twists around at the end of her leash, like she is a young pup pulling a young woman...so excited to be out on her walk. I need to mind the snow and slush, she hasn't a clue I could go down on my bum, not as sure footed as she. Booger dog.

Doug would always hold my hand when we walked, and in bad weather I would take his arm. He was my rock, my steadying force. I miss him.

Maggie
Old 11-24-2015, 06:12 AM   #1243
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
My Monday afternoon volunteer stint for hospice is going to be good for me. Nice people, nothing terribly challenging to do but I have had that in spades in my life....something productive, outside the house, is what I need.

Also gives me a reason to put on some nicer clothes, a bit of makeup. A good thing.

Lily finds this cold weather a bli too invigorating for my taste. She gets out the door and jumps and twists around at the end of her leash, like she is a young pup pulling a young woman...so excited to be out on her walk. I need to mind the snow and slush, she hasn't a clue I could go down on my bum, not as sure footed as she. Booger dog.

Doug would always hold my hand when we walked, and in bad weather I would take his arm. He was my rock, my steadying force. I miss him.

Maggie
Maggie:

My wife and I are the same, especially with our young one Abby (who also became a Therapy dog last night by passing her test).

I bought a treadmill, they can be found on Craigslist very cheap as most become clothes hangers anyway. Then I trained our dog(s) to run on the treadmill. When weather is too bad or dangerous to risk an unnecessary fall I put them one at a time on for an hour at 3mph and I use the Elliptical next to them and we both watch TV. It's not hard to teach and once into it they consider it a job.

If you find a treadmill I can walk you through my process or any trainer should be able to get Lily comfortable in about 15 minutes, but I follow a process which seems to work as I've been successful with a number of dogs.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #1244
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's a great idea, Bud, but I simply don't have anywhere to put an exercise machine. Small house, smaller RV.

Great idea, tho!

I have a good sized back yard she can run in, and she does do laps when she is feeling house-bound....a frisbee, stick, etc., also gets her going a bit.....tho she likes to play keep-away, rather than bring them back for me to throw them again. Booger dog.

If the surfaces are too slick, we simply don't go. Don't need any injuries, especially without my better half to take care of me.

I am still moving that outside wood pile, plus there is the frequent chore of bringing wood from the garage into the house....40-50 pound or so bags at a time have sure been good for my muscle mass, and my sleep at night....I drop like a stone and hardly wake til 7-8 hours later. I like that.

Most of the snow is melted, going to be in the 50's today and my yard guys are taking advantage of the break in the weather to come clear out my back yard and trim a couple of things for me.

The leaves will be a yucky mess, but they don't care. I'm going to rid out the garden, too, then everything will be neat and tidy back there.

I like neat and tidy.

Tomorrow I will get roll dough going and bake a pecan pie to take to my son's on Thursday. I enjoy being the guest these days, who brings a few things, rather than chief cook and bottle washer.

The furnace tune-up lady was here yesterday...yep, a woman, and she can do anything...and we were discussing pecan pie. Her sister makes hers with maple syrup. I discovered ribbon cane syrup several years ago, and use that instead of dark Karo, and it makes the most delicious, rich tasting pecan pie you have ever eaten.

My Looooziannna cookbook recipe I have used 20 or more years uses a stick of melted butter, eggs, and lots of pecans.

Once a year, what the h--l, right?

Maggie
Old 11-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #1245
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
My Maternal Grandmother, Jeanne gave this wonderful recipe for "PO-mans cake"...

I share this family recipe with my "Airstream family" so it keeps living...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	52
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	252798  
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:16 AM   #1246
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I love it! Looks yummy.