Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 06:44 AM   #1761
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Our Therapy Dog volunteer work entails visits with people who often have suffered either one traumatic episode or a life time of trauma, plus we visit Hospice and Long Term Care (dementia) facilities. I no longer look at any of these people the same way.

Dogs can only take about an hour a visit a couple times a week.

Similar things as the holocaust are happening today -tragic.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #1762
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post

Similar things as the holocaust are happening today -tragic.

Bud

They are, Bud, on large and small scales.

The capacity of humans to be cruel to one another....but not on my watch.

Maggie
Old 02-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #1763
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Nor my watch. The Yellow, Hopey, I've trained in Therapy and protection. She can do a terrific job at both, just not the same time, Ha, Ha.

Your trip so far sounds terrific - 9 degrees and light snow here and supposed to get colder.

Bud
Old 02-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #1764
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Gave the Interstate a good scrubbing at a car wash this morning and made a trek into Target....which I very seldom do...but because...they have my Sofia Coppola, sparkling wine 4-packs.

I was out, and I wanted more. Target carries this, tho few places do. A bit indulgent, but I deserve a little indulgence once in awhile.

It is a beautiful, sunny day.... Lily has had a long walk, and will soon have another.

Maggie
Old 02-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #1765
Rivet Master

Maggie, your post above, about the holocaust survivors, and many who did not....tugs at my heart. It's even sadder to know that so many 'milineals' have little or no awareness that such horror actually took place. Very little of the historical facts we were aware of and were taught in school, is taught to the kids today.
Certainly, the tragedies and abominations the terrorists are causing...supposedly, in the name of their ??? Perverted religion??? Is too horrific to imagine. There is true evil in this world...in the past, today, and unfortunately, set in motion for the future. No God that I know....sanctions such barbarism!
While evil does exist....there is also much goodness and kindness in the hearts and souls of millions of good men and women. We can only pray that our God continues to reign over our country! I am ever grateful that I was born in the good old USA and to be privileged to have the freedoms that we share.
Go and enjoy your beautiful sunny day ...and perhaps, pause to give thanks to your higher power! I do...every day! God bless. E.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #1766
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
The letter to the goat was a good one.

I was a victim in my youth and as I have aged I have become an amalgam of the people that have helped me along the way. Now in my sixties I look back and realize how much of a gift my life has been. Traveling in my Airstream the past two years has brought about a great deal of reminiscing of the path traveled and the people that have touched my life. Life continues, the sun rises and sets, the days are each different and the same, and I still feel very blessed.
I am glad that you chose the path you travel. I look forward to breaking bread with you again some day.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #1767
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One of these days, Vince....

When you get to really talking with people, you find that very few had that near-perfect childhood, nor a near-perfect life.

People who took the time to make a difference for them made all the difference in their lives...pulled them up, pulled them out, showed them the way, anchored them with the gift of unconditional love..all that.

Individuals made the difference between rising above and going on vs staying in that circling-the-drain status....where some live their lives, because they simply don't have the emotional tools to get themselves out. They are broken and damaged at their core.

You never know when you could be making that difference, which is why one should always try to do the very best they can with what is in front of them. No one is 100%, the important thing is to try.

In "Such Good Girls", one of these survivors became a psychiatrist...in part to understand and help herself, also to help others similarly situated. Others gravitated toward various helping professions, not surprising.

There is nothing like having been there to bring one a deep level of compassion, empathy and understanding for one's fellow man.

Because this is my thread, in the Off Topic sub-Forum, I can write about things that are important to me....spread a little word, enlighten others a bit, and be enlightened by those who drop in.

A good thing.

Maggie
Old 02-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #1768
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
"Individuals made the difference between rising above and going on vs staying in that circling-the-drain status....where some live their lives, because they simply don't have the emotional tools to get themselves out. They are broken and damaged at their core."

Amen

Bud
Old 02-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #1769
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Amen....
Old 02-13-2016, 05:37 AM   #1770
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Maggie
Thanks for the book recommendation. I have put it onto my list.

I have a more mundane question for you. I have lots of allergies and so therefore can't use a lot of "store-bought" candles with artificial fragrances.

Essential oil candles at retail are $$$.

I really like that candle that you posted

Can you please post a more detailed step-by-step of how you made that candle? What to buy, quantities used, and steps to create?

I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks,
Piggy Bank

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #1771
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
A Different Life II

Touched by that and quoted you on my social media page. Hope you don't mind. What a difference we CAN all make!
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:04 AM   #1772
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi PB!

It is a really good book, very sad to read, very revealing of things most of us simply cannot imagine.

It is good to educate ourselves about past and present evils in the world, in my opinion. Human behavior is human behavior, and we are all much more alike than we are different...important to know and understand what our fellow man is capable of, for lots of reasons.

You can buy soy chips and wicks at Hobby Lobby, also in larger quantities online. For the holder you want to use, you need about twice as many chips.

At home, I melt the wax chips in the microwave in a glass measuring cup, add essential oils of your choice....good combinations and precisely recommended quantities can be found online.

I use 1- 1 1/2 teaspoons or so of essential oil for about 4 cups of melted wax, about 12 drops for this perhaps 6 ounce candle....8 or so of lavender, 4 or so of ylang ylang. I like them to smell. .

I buy real essential oils, which you can get at Hobby Lobby, natural food stores/sections, Walgreens, also online.

Pour into glass containers into which you have anchored at least one wick with a dot of wax...if you are using a larger container, use 2-4 wicks so the candle burns evenly.

Let set 24 hours before burning. Voila!

Maggie
Old 02-13-2016, 07:16 AM   #1773
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddledipper View Post
Touched by that and quoted you on my social media page. Hope you don't mind. What a difference we CAN all make!
Hi there, and that's fine...I am not a social media person, but for AirForums.

No Facebook, Twitter, Instagram....none of that for me. Too old, I think,

Maggie
Old 02-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #1774
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks Maggie!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:47 AM   #1775
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have been thinking of Doug a lot this week....Valentine's Day coming up, when there would always be roses and a beautiful card with a sweet note from him.

His birthday is also approaching, and his daughter's the day before his, which is also the aniversary of the day Doug's father died...the day before his 4th birthday, one of those watermark events that shaped his life.

Last year on February 15th, I had a long, tearful conversation with his daughter, who was having a very difficult time. The 16th is Doug's birthday, it was our year of firsts, when almost everything was hard for all of us.

It was very cold that night, Lily and I were dry camping in a Forest Preserve, and I had gone to bed with a fleece blanket between me and my all season down comforter.

Turning over in the night, trying to get my toes back under that fleece, I distinctly felt hands, firmly tucking the covers around my feet...something Doug had done for me hundreds of times.

A good man, who loved us deeply, and would never have just gone off and left us. He was there, sharing our pain, and doing what he could to comfort and make his presence known.

We're at that same time of year, he has been heavily in my thoughts....and about 3am this morning, my TV turned on...by itself. The channel changer was in its usual spot, no where near me or the dog or even the bed.

The light of it woke me, I got up and turned it off, and a little while later it had turned itself on again....waking me up.

I have to say, my very first thought was is that you, honey???.

When it turned on by itself the second time, I said okay, Doug, I know you're here, and I love you too .

My Doug, still looking in and letting us know his love is there.

Maggie
Old 02-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #1776
Rivet Master

Maggie, I teared up reading your above post....no doubt....he lingers, stays near...so he can make his presence known to you ...when you need him most. Love like the two of you share, transcends time. Bless you both. E.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #1777
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I appreciate your well wishes, Evelyn, and those of everyone else who shares them with me.

I believe Doug stays near all of us, and tell the kids/grands that, but I think that I and Emma are the only ones that really believe....Emma who still misses her Grandpa terribly, and sometimes feels him rubbing her back.

I still tear up regularly, tho haven't really cried in a long time. I have never been one to unleash the floodgates at the drop of a hat, but did more than once that first year or so.

I can't say widow without tearing up, nor explain that my husband died, etc. Sigh....life.

Laundry is done, Lily has already had two good walks, and I am crocheting with a sweet dog curled up next to me on the couch.

Things could be much worse, I remind myself every single day.

Maggie
Old 02-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #1778
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After stocking up on groceries, we are re-settled at Huntington Beach SP for the next two weeks.

Beautiful, neat, well maintained campground, with a path to the lovely beach just steps from our site.
At 37 degrees, tho, with a serious windchill, we had only a short walk on the beach, did the remainder in the campground where there are trees to cut the wind. Yikes. It...is...cold..

Will be 20 degrees warmer tomorrow, warmer yet thru the week, so we have plenty of time for the beach when my skin is not freezing and Lily is not looking at me like "what are we doing out here?".

On the Cast Iron Collection & Fire Cooking thread this morning was a link to a pattern for these little crocheted cuties....handle covers for cast iron skillets.

I whipped one out in about 30 minutes, and they will be great for using up last bits of yarn.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	257263  
Old 02-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #1779
Rivet Master

So creative and functional. Sorry your getting cold temps. We are currently experiencing warmer than usual temps, but, we won't get too used to it. Spring is a long way off for us.

Have you found many pretty sea shells? Your idea to use some for candle containers is interesting. When you do, take a photo to show us, please. Stay warm in the meantime. E.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #1780
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I picked up a few shells the first trip to BeachWalker, tho not suitable for candles, and none since then.

Edisto is the place for shells.....large, deep, beautiful ones that I made candles from last year.

Maggie