Old 11-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #1149
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois

We were talking yesterday about the not-so-long-ago times when mothers knit the socks for all family members. Yikes, what a job. But then, life was harder all the way around back then.

I didn't begin to crochet until I began having grandchildren, at which time I was driven to learn so I could make little things to wrap around them or put on their sweet little heads.

Maggie

Old 11-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #1150
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
https://www.crazypatterns.net/de/ite...aekelanleitung Here is a link to a really neat crochet pattern. It is available in English as well.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #1151
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Really cute!

Will have to take a look at that.

Thanks.

Maggie
Old 11-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #1152
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Paris.

How to fight and eliminate terrorist groups who embrace blowing themselves up to wreak murder and mayhem on those whose beliefs differ from theirs.

My heart goes out to all.

My beautiful and sweet niece, the country mouse who emigrated to the big city for ISU, is a flutist and there was a band/symphony concert last night. A lot of very serious musicians there, and impressive performances.

She has adjusted well to finding herself in a sea of strangers, having lived all her life in the same small town, where she knew everyone and everyone knew her. In addition to family, her roommate and new friends were there for support and to cheer her on.

Wild Leaf Romp 2015 is today, and I will continue to work on moving my woodpile, once again. A heck of a lot of wood, but a fire is burning merrily in my woodstove as I type, so this is just what one does.

Fire has entertainment value, you know. Morning coffee, the first fire of the day glowing and flickering through the glass.....

Maggie
Old 11-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #1153
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What's not to love.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	252030  
Old 11-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #1154
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
hummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
What's not to love.
lovely
Old 11-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #1155
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Gail!

Haven't seen you in awhile. Thanks for dropping in.

XO

Maggie
Old 11-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #1156
Rivet Master

Maggie, you are getting me in the mood for a fire in our fireplace! Next week we are in for much colder weather and maybe a big snowstorm, Monday - Thursday! Have to go get those boxes of fire logs! Evelyn.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #1157
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

We were talking yesterday about the not-so-long-ago times when mothers knit the socks for all family members. Yikes, what a job. But then, life was harder all the way around back then.

I didn't begin to crochet until I began having grandchildren, at which time I was driven to learn so I could make little things to wrap around them or put on their sweet little heads.

Maggie
Maggie, the War Museum in Ottawa currently has an interesting display about the contribution of women (and their needles - knitting needles) during WW2.
Knitting for War | Canadian War Museum

Knitting by the fire on a cold winter's night - reminds me of a Christmas card.
Enjoy.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #1158
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Would love to be able to see that exhibit, FaN. Looks very interesting.

Movie time, post clean-up and pre-bed. Always a good wind down for them after lots of outdoor play, and for Grandma, too.

Maggie
Old 11-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #1159
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
There is nothing quite as magic as the smell of coffee on a wood stove....and I drink tea.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:01 AM   #1160
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Agreed.

One of the things Doug liked to say was "no coffee tastes as good as coffee smells."

He converted me from a primarily tea drinker to a primarily coffee drinker.

Maggie
Old 11-15-2015, 12:37 PM   #1161
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Watching the developments in Paris and Europe, everyone seems on it, and I am glad to see our FBI is sending a team over to receive information to quickly funnel back here for assessment.

That something like this could be planned and executed without anyone's awareness is beyond frightening. Build a better mousetrap, and the mice get smarter.

Doug the political scientist always said we simply don't have the stomach to do what is necessary to end this kind of thing...and he was right.

Grands are gone, house is vacuumed and tidied.....lots of leaf bits everywhere, dragged into and all over the house, on and in their clothing. They did have a great time, and were back out in them for awhile before breakfast this morning. Leaves....who knew they would still be such great entertainment for kids who have grown up immersed in electronics.

This is 12 year old Caleb's feet, in Grandpa's desert boots....which he used almost exclusively at Gunsite. I told Caleb, tho, that Grandpa would purse his lips at how dirty they are, as he was a man who kept his shoes clean....saddle soap and a shoe brush, if necessary....but clean.

Caleb said "I've been meaning to get to that."

My sweet little dog walker has taken Lily for long walks yesterday and today, including some off leash time in the open field at the end of the bike path that runs close to me. Lily is such a good girl.....listens to and minds her well. Comes right back when called, listens to "no".....such a sweet baby she is.

Lily has insisted on sleeping at the foot of my bed at home since Doug died, you know, perhaps protecting me, as I think Bud suggested....but an antique double bed is really not big enough for me and a 55 lb dog, who sleeps....like a dog.

Spread out however she is most comfortable, no mind to whether I can move my legs or not. And, periodically tests her limits to see if she really must sleep on the sheet across the foot of the bed.

I woke the other morning to her stretched out along my back, snoring peacefully. If I let her stay there, eventually she would be up in my face and on my pillow. I think not.

Booger dog.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	480.8 KB
ID:	252113  
Old 11-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #1162
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Dogs seem to enjoy sleeping in 'dogpiles'. I think they feel more secure. Our street rescued dogs curl up into a ball with each other and it looks like one doggie with two heads. If they get to sit on my lap they tuck themselves between the chair arm and my leg. It's a tight fit, but they put their heads down with a happy contented sigh and will sleep like that for hours if you let them.

I suspect very close human contact is important to a couple of dogs that lived on the street for months.

Our other pups will insist on lap time, for about 20 minutes or so, then move off and bed down close by. We don't let them sleep in our beds generally. They prefer crate/den for bedtime, lightly covered with a sheet to keep drafts out. That works in the AS and at home.

Nothing quite so assuring as a happy, sleeping dog--it seems all's right with the world when they do that. Lily is just seeking assurance, and trying to assure you at the same time, I suspect. It's a dog thing. 😄😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote

« The Argue Thread | Top | - »