Old 11-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #1135
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, folks.

Will consider my options and all of your good suggestions here.

Maggie

Old 11-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #1136
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
If you decide on a hand non power operated cutter be careful, I've seen them "bounce" off a stubborn bush and into ones leg. I also opt for the recip saw, been using a 18 year old Milwaukee for what it was intended for, plus for winter cutting of our numerous Fescue grasses we have at our place. Works great.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #1137
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm....that is food for thought, too.

Thanks, Bud.

Maggie
Old 11-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #1138
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
These are just finishing up in my oven, and my house smells heavenly.

I added 1 cup of sliced almonds, because I had them and thought almonds would be good in these.

Wheat flour, molasses, spices......no fat. What's not to love.

GINGERBREAD BISCOTTI

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

In mixer:

1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs

Blend and add gradually:

1 1/4 cup wheat flour
1 1/4 cup I bleached white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Mix just til well blended. Shape into two 8"x4" logs on parchment covered baking sheet, brush top and sides with 1 egg, slightly beaten, then bake 35 minutes.

Slide onto cooling rack, reduce oven heat to 275 degrees, let cool 10 minutes.

With sharp knife, slice at 1" intervals and return to baking sheet, cut side down.

Bake 20 minutes more at 275 degrees, turning cookies over after 10 minutes.

Let cool completely. Drizzle lightly with a frosting, if desired, made from 2\3 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon milk.

Let stand til frosting sets, store in an airtight container.

Yum!

Maggie
Old 11-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #1139
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I indulged in the drizzle of frosting on my biscotti .....they are yummy, chewy with the almonds, and cookie-ish without the lethality of butter.

I'm a happy girl.

Leaf raking, wood hauling, clean-me-up and a Junior High band concert yesterday for my sons oldest....sporting new dress shoes and looking just like his Dad did at that age.....all legs and feet.

Doug would drop me off at the door in bad weather for such things, or we would walk in hand in hand. We liked holding hands, and it was a nearly-always thing for us.

Solo me does it all, MapQuest getting me safely there in the dark.....not my favorite driving time these days, but sometimes you must....if your electronic device is guiding you, it is easier to focus on the road, oncoming traffic, etc.

Watching Dr. Oz yesterday, he had a woman on there with a new book I just had to download.....The Light Between Us: Stories From Heaven, Lessons for the Living, by Laura Lynne Jackson. Yes, a psychic, who links the grieving living with the spirits of loved ones who have passed.

I believe in Dr. Oz, and I think this is only the second such person he has had on his show....the first several years ago being Teresa Caputo, who he said changed his life....so his nod to this woman's legitimacy and credibility was enough for me to want her book.

It looks to be a good book, and believing that Doug's spirit stays near....helping, watching over, comforting and occasionally giving signs that he is there....comforts me immeasurably, so anything that helps in that course of learning is good for me.

I was relaying to Doug's daughter the other day an incident I don't think I have written of here, so am going to share. .

Coming back from New Mexico last summer, I landed in a campground with cable TV, something I only have basic of at home. Readying for my evening wind-down, flipping channels.....there was Hill Street Blues.

I cannot remember the last time I saw that show, but it was a favorite, must-see for Doug and I, back in the day and before we were married, as I recall, when he was living a block up the street from me. We would cuddle up on the couch and watch it together, every...single...week.

Look, honey....Hill Street Blues!!! was my immediate thought. This feeling then washed over me, the only way to describe it, that Doug was right there, at that very moment, and had guided me to this to let me know, once again, that he is there in death, as he was in life.

If you believe it can occur, you are open to it and experience it, that's what I think. It helps.... and, as we know, that's where we go...to whatever helps, feels right, and gets you through. It is a good thing, for me, believing he is just beyond my sight and reach.

The Interstate is just barely put to bed for the worst of winter, and I am already starting to daydream a bit about next years travels.

I can't help it, I'm an addict.

Maggie
Old 11-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #1140
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I finished The Light Between Us yesterday, and enjoyed it. Very straightforward, believable, recounting of her experiences.

This woman is also from Long Island. There seem to be a lot of mediums out there.

Having stocked wood up in the garage the other day, Gorilla Cart and I are moving masses of firewood from the area near my patio to the area next to the house....this the same wood Cart & I moved, laboriously and largely alone, across the yard last Spring.

Those two, 28 year old, trees that had to come down are providing probably 4 winters of firewood for the little house. I like fires.

Shrimp & Corn Chowder in my crockpot today.....cold, wind and rain coming. Chowder is good.

Maggie
Old 11-11-2015, 01:15 PM   #1141
Rivet Master

Maggie,
I am glad for you that you have the 'spiritual presence' to assist you through the grieving process. I had many such experiences in dealing with my daughter's death...for several years...apparently, for as long as I truly needed. It was such a comfort in those first years. Her visits faded with time, (she has been gone 25 years now).

You are so right, that if one believes in the spirit, it is possible to have these experiences. One must be open and accepting I think...to recognize when it happens for you.

I also have the Gorilla cart...a real back saver. My dtr, Deb, does most of the yard work, now, but, that cart has more than paid me back over the years. I also have a larger version, which I've had for about 15 years. They really are worth every penny spent on them. I stopped using the old wheelbarrow after injuring a shoulder when it tipped to one side. Only 4 wheels after that for me!

BTW, that chowder does sound good. Comfort food...good for the soul, nice and warm, helps to ward off the cold. It snowed a good 6-8 inches here last night. Pretty,looking out the window. As my daughter Deb, says, a hot chocolate day today! I think, also, a clam chowder day.

I, too, am spending much time dreaming and planning for next late spring thru fall for potential trips. I plan for the Grand Teton trip, and dream/hope for the Oregon coast trip. Last evening, I downloaded some pics of the Columbia river gorge waterfalls. Really got me excited to see in person. Multnomah Falls is especially spectacular.

My painting instructor, Jerry Yarnell, is currently teaching an acrylic painting of this falls , on his PBS show. I record these, and will plan to download to DVD and paint my version this winter. Think I will do a dual media...acrylic base, then, oil finish. Looking forward to it!

God bless. Evelyn.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:02 PM   #1142
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Evelyn!

You know, Doug and I had developed a cautious belief in the afterlife at the time he died. A number of things happened during his episode, at the time of his death, and since, that have made me a believer.

More involved stories, to tell you when we meet. As a nurse, you will find some of them very interesting, I believe.

If you believe that things happen for a reason, which I have come to believe over the course of my adult life....and I don't mean that he died for a reason.....events in the months leading up to his death, and at the time of his death, happened to insure I believed that his spirit would live after his body had died. I am convinced of that, and it comforts me. .

As for traveling.....if you can, you must go and see and do whatever and wherever possible....that's what I think. . It is a gift....to enjoy, to revel in, and to cherish.

The chowder was delicious. . It is a Cooking Light recipe, without potatoes, but all the other yummy things chowder has....bacon, corn, green onions. A bit indulgent, with an entire bag of frozen shrimp , but I deserve it.

I would say 1/4-1/3 of that woodpile was moved this morning, but it is much easier this year than last, for lots of reasons. I am going to have it all moved by the end of the week, then cover it with a tarp before the snow flies.

Plenty of firewood, dry and available, then, right outside my garage door.

Maggie
Old 11-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #1143
Rivet Master

We have a fireplace in our family room...have not used it yet this year. I need to buy some fire logs from Lowes....the type that produces less smoke. Easier on my asthma. I do enjoy a nice fire on a cold, snowy day.

I also have stories to share...in person, relating to my dtr, Lynn, before and during her last hours. Deb and I were with her during those hours...not her husband, who was very self centered. Everything seemed to be "all about him." Lynn asked for him...he would not respond to phone calls, telling his friends he wanted to be with friends at a local hot springs. (Poor baby)! He would not even allow the 2 little girls to say goodbye to their Mom. One of Lynn's friends arranged for the oldest to go her house and say goodbye on the phone. Lynn waited for her,and left right after the call. There is much more to share next summer. Evelyn.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:50 AM   #1144
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We will share stories, Evelyn.

The "Witch of November" blew thru here last night....and is still blowing, tho weakened.

This the same kind of storm system that sunk the Edmund Fitzgerald 40 years ago this week, with all lives aboard lost. (If you've never been to the Shipwreck Museum on Whitefish Bay in the Eastern UP, it is a very interesting place.)

No damage at the little house, but much wind damage throughout Central Illinois, some tornadoes spawned, a semi overturned on 74....Yikes.

I remember driving home from work one evening years ago, just ahead of this kind of storm system and 100 mph straight-line winds. Doug was already home, we battened the hatches and hunkered down til it passed.

We do wind well here.

Maggie
Old 11-12-2015, 07:05 AM   #1145
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This event is calling to me....the first weekend in September every year.

Would be a good post-Wyoming Rockdocking layover....

http://fortbridgerrendezvous.net

Maggie
Old 11-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #1146
Rivet Master

Will you be wearing period dress?

I had not heard the phrase, " Witch of November" before. It certainly sounds appropriate. We get some pretty strong winds here, especially the "chinooks" coming down from the mountains. 100 mph are pretty bad! That type is most prevalent on the plains east of here. They do some serious damage. Boulder gets hit really hard some years, though.
Your winds sound much like Nor'easters. Are you close to the Great Lakes?
Old 11-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #1147
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I will not be wearing period dress, but it looks interesting.....and, it's right there.

I am in central Illinois, over 100 miles south of Lake Michigan, so just plain old high winds. We get them periodically.

Needlework group today. I really enjoy those women.

Periodically someone brings in tons of yarn from a mom or aunt or grandma who died or went into a nursing home and left projects unfinished, odd skeins leftover from afghans, etc., and it is then there to be taken by anyone, to be made into whatever we are into.

I went in with a nearly empty carry bag, but for my current prayer shawl, left with a full bag of nice yarn to be made into hats. I try not to let too much accumulate, lest I someday be the deceased donor to the Senior Center of a stockpile of yarn, but I just couldn't help myself.

Talking around the table, we all seem to have the yarn accumulation problem.....see a pretty color or variegated, and you just feel driven to make something out of it.

A passion, really, crocheting is for me. I am addicted to it it, as are others, or to knitting, or both.

Could be worse, Doug always said.

It is hat-making season, you know, and I am working on a box to ship to Dr. Culpepper.....so free yarn is good.

We should all do something for others, is my belief.

It is good for your soul.

Maggie
Old 11-13-2015, 12:24 PM   #1148
Rivet Master

Reading your accounts of crochet, I am reminded of my Mom sitting in her rocking chair, working those needles like a little automatic machine. As she worked, she rocked, always. We kids used to watch her....when she was tired...her rocking slowed as she began to doze off....then, all of a sudden, she would alert, still dozing, and crochet rapidly, then slow and doze again., still crocheting. Our giggles would usually waken her, and she would smile at us, call us little stinkers! Good memories. Evelyn.

« The Argue Thread | Top | - »