Old 11-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #1093
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think we can work out a location, may have to be a bit creative, but something before or after Ray Eklunds boondocking gig August 14th?

Any lady readers here are invited....don't know that we need to start a rally thread. Just chime in.

And, anyone with a spouse along would certainly not be rejected...tho they might need to bring along a good book to read while we ladies gab.

Maggie

Old 11-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #1094
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
hahaha.. love it!!! we will have tons of fun!!! I'll bring Blackberry Jelly from Oregon Blackberries for Maggie's DO breads!!! and some Oregon wines.. getting better all the time!!!

Old 11-01-2015, 12:51 PM   #1095
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
and some Oregon Cheese!!
Old 11-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #1096
Rivet Master

Sounds like fun! Look forward to it! After the crowds subside & kids are back to school?....late August, early September? Cooler weather? Evelyn.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #1097
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Late August works for me, and that is after Ray's gathering.

We can plan on Teton-ish, as we will already be there .....exactly where can be determined at a later time.

And, there is some elevation there, so cooler temps are built in.

It's a loosely made plan.

Now, we need to wait to see if FaN will drive down to join us.

Maggie
Old 11-01-2015, 03:40 PM   #1098
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Meat loaf dinner at the little house.....here's to you, honey.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	251495  
Old 11-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #1099
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Sweet....
Old 11-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #1100
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Maggie,

Wish we were getting some of that rain. There's a lot of it just a few miles west of us but we barely got enough yesterday to water the garden. The lake is way down as are all the sinkhole lakes around here, and I sure hope we aren't on the verge of another draught: cause instead of worrying about fixing the Jon boat I'll be worried about the dogs escaping via a dry lake bed.
Somehow I've ended up with a lot of potatoes here and think I'll be using one bag for mashed potatoes too. I was thinking of making a Sheppards pie but meatloaf might work too.

I don't mind differing opinions as long as they are well thought out: just can't stand opinions based upon lies and almost lies.

Wish I were able to go west, but it won't be happening that soon. I'll just enjoy the stories from my iPad and easy chair.

Carol
Old 11-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #1101
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, folks.

The meatloaf et al was delicious, but brought a tear to my eye putting it together on my plate, as I had done so many times for Doug.

It's just all part of it....piece by piece, bit by bit....you just get through it.

I also could not fail to take note of the fact that I very rarely prepare and consume an entire, balanced meal all at one time these days. I balance out my day...most days ...but it is rarely all on the same plate at the same time.

And, that's okay. He needed that, but I don't.

Maggie
Old 11-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #1102
Rivet Master

Maggie, I can relate. Joe loved my lasagna....he said he preferred it over ones made by his Italian mom and sis! It was a joy to make it for him. I made the last one for him...doubt that I'll ever make it again...just would not seem right. We all find our way through the grief...in our own way...in our own time. Evelyn.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #1103
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Got to trimming flowering shrubs yesterday and, about 1/3 of the way thru, I nicked my electrical cord and that was the end of that. Tripped the breaker switch and destroyed the cord.

Doug would have looped that cord over his shoulder to keep it well out of the way of the way of the blade.....I will try that next time.

Finished them by hand, with snippers and a hacksaw .....a much more arduous and time consuming task, but I was sweaty enough that a trip to the store for a new cord would have required changing clothes and cleaning up. In addition to the fact that the debris gathering guys from the city would be by yesterday morning, and I didn't want stuff sitting til next week.

So, snip and pull and cut and gather up into my Gorilla Cart to haul to the street I did. I really love that Gorilla Cart.

I really need a small chain saw for some of these, but don't really trust myself with one. When my yard guys come in a couple of weeks to rake and haul to the curb the mass of leaves that is gathering in my back yard, I will have them use theirs to give a cleaner trim, as my older shrubs look a bit as if a runaway lawnmower went over them.

Dropped three prayer shawls off early this morning, bought a new outdoor cord and got the fingerprinting and TB test done that is required for me to be a certified hospice volunteer.....needed so they can get 12 volunteer hours of credit for each shawl donated. .

Going to get at least two completed per month for them, is my plan. Something productive and meaningful to do, and maybe at some point I will be up for visiting hospice patients.....but not any time soon.

Maggie
Old 11-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #1104
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	251608  
Old 11-04-2015, 08:41 AM   #1105
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My prayer shawls were well received .....I hope their hospice recipients find comfort in this small bit of something done for them by my hands, to help them thru the final days of their lives.

Had an email from a fellow Airstreamer from the recent Moraine View rally....a newbie, who had a local friend who came by who he wanted me to meet. A Culpepper, also a minister, and from Southeast Georgia.

Those of you who followed the Pray for Doug thread, and my first Different Life thread, may remember Dr. Wright Culpepper, the hospital chaplain and outstanding human being who helped me and our children thru Doug's hospitalization and death last year.

It was the Faithworks Ministries he headed in Brunswick, GA, that received memorial donations in lieu of flowers....about half of which were used to purchase a memorial bench, the remainder put into a Stranded Travelers Fund for Faithworks to dole out as needed.

At any rate, when this man mentioned his friends name, my ears immediately perked up.....how many Culpepper's could there be from SE Georgia who are not related in some way?

As it turns out, Bill's friend....also a minister....found my Dr. Culpepper on his families' website....they are in fact, distant cousins.

When I met and spoke with this man a few weeks ago, I could see distinct facial similarities.....in addition to, what are the odds? Small world.

New cord in place, will try to clean up a bit at least my shrubs that face the street. Grands will be here next weekend for their annual wild leaf romp, fire in the chiminea, hot dog roast, etc., in the backyard.... then the yard will be put to bed for the winter.

A rite of fall at the little house, and a time limited experience as these kids grow up.

I love those grandbabies.

Maggie
Old 11-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #1106
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have had a busy week, and Lily and I are doing an Iowa run Sat-Sun, so it is just going to be one of those.

I had a headlight and a fog light on my Matrix out, so went by AutoZone....where the employees will do the dirty work of removing the old ones, sell you new, and put them in place at no extra charge. I like. . The sweet young woman who helped me was there the last time I was in, for wiper blades.

Putting herself thru ISU working behind the counter at AutoZone, and taught by her supervisors everything she knows. Majoring in Criminal Justice, she will graduate in December, look for work in her field and start saving for graduate school. Good for her.

Too much trying to do it all at once going on, and graduating up to your eyebrows in student loan debt, in my opinion. Back in the day, if your parents couldn't or wouldn't put you thru college, you worked full time and went to school part time, and most every full time student I knew....including me....had a part time job to help out. It's just what you did.

A nice young lady, solid, capable, and emanating personal strength, I predict she will do well.

We've had a nice run of beautiful fall days this week, tomorrow cold sets back in and will likely stay for the duration.

A bit more yard work and hauling of wood, and I am ready for winter.

Maggie

« The Argue Thread | Top | - »