Old 04-18-2015, 06:30 AM   #85
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My to-do list is pairing down, and the yard is beginning to pull together.

Lifting heavy sacks of top soil into a cart, then into the car, then into my Gorilla Cart to then haul around yesterday, I think......Doug always took care this kind of thing, and he didn't need a cart.

He would, of course, being the big, strong man , sling them a sack or two at a time onto his shoulder and carry them wherever....if I tried that, sack and I would be on the ground and I could be one of those funny videos of things gone wrong.

Weight-lifting for my aging bones.

Have finally filled in the depression in the front yard left from the huge tree that came down, now a year and a half ago.....never got to that last year.....and have decided to plant a burning bush in there, instead of another tree. They get pretty big, and I love their color in the fall.

Digging up the shasta lilies out of my garden today, and going to pitch them. They have been in there for years, spread a bit more every year and are simply not pretty enough to warrant their invasive, over-taking nature. Will find something more lovely, and less invasive, to replace them.

This will be my first solo sojourn with a shovel.....we'll see how that goes. I am definitely stronger than this time last year, my arms and shoulders anyway.....going to find out about my legs.

Some pretty annuals for the side of the shed that went up last year, my favorite pink impatiens for the stoop at the back door, maybe eventually a forsythia bush for the other side of the front yard.......color in the spring, and more in the fall. A good thing, and I like.

Some camping friends from Canada are in the States and coming this way. I think I am going to be able to meet them for a visit, on their way back north and in-between things here, which will be nice. Haven't seen them since Doug died, altho received lots of support via email.

There is a lovely county park and campground about 10 minutes north of me (nowhere guests can park at the little house), where fellow travelers who happen to be in this neck of the woods can stay.....keep it in mind, if any of y'all pass thru flyover country, as Doug called it.

There will soon be corn and soybeans growing, cows and their young to watch, the wind farms......it's the Midwest, you know.

We will be mostly here til at least the middle of June.....am starting to look at the maps and COE campgrounds within a half day's drive or so from here, for a bit of travel and to explore something new after that.

The wanderlust is in my blood, that is for sure, and I know I am fortunate to be able to go.

Different, but still good, and things seem to be coming together.

Maggie

Old 04-18-2015, 07:03 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
We just picked a couple Maltese off the street about two weeks ago. Totally matted and starving. A quick vet check and grooming, steady food, and some soft hands, and they came right around.

Dogs are super resilient in the right circumstances. We didn't figure to rescue and foster, but you just can't stand by and see a dog suffer.

The only problem we're having with them is their tendency to lick our ears off and monopolize our laps....😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
Just a quick and quite piece of advise. Here in PA as I am now in the "business of dog rescue" there is a law concerning strays. If one finds a dog on the street one is obligated to try and find the owner. One is obligated to publicly advertise that they have found said dog, where and when and a description for three consecutive days in a public newspaper. PA newspapers must publish these entries at no charge. Failure to do so and the previous owner can come after the dog and the finding owner must then prove they have advertised and further prove they now own the dog(s).

Have you had the dogs checked for microchips? If they have no chip you are in great shape. Just wanted to make sure you knew the possible facts, as I said this pertains to PA, not sure at all about CA.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #87
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The Shasta daisies are out.....I can do a shovel and dig things up.

Took Lily for a ride and paid a visit to our favorite and longtime local nursery, where there is always someone knowledgeable to answer questions and provide needed information. Love them, appreciate them.

After yardwork, we nearly always grilled something yummy and enjoyed it on the patio, admiring our handiwork. A warm weather tradition, our reward to ourselves for working hard.

Doug would drink a cold beer or two, monitor and manage the grilling...usually steak, carnivore that he was....I would have a glass of wine or a gin & tonic, and handle the rest.

Grilled myself one of the marinated pork tenderloins I picked up at Trader Joe's a few weeks ago.....and it is delicious.

Doug is nodding his head somewhere, smiling a bit and saying "good job!".

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	236565  
Old 04-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Paiceman I'm shocked at how the former guardian treated Abby. If I was the officer that caught up with that a-hole, my Glock would be missing a 9mm round. Like most people, I'm sadden when a pet passes, just remind yourself no one could have loved the pet any better. I'm glad that Abby is in great hands. You saved her, maybe one day she'll return the favor.
Read your post again our ABBY is NOT the puppy that was thrown out of the car. The one puppy I am working with is at our rescue and it is she who was thrown out, although we got another one today from the Human Officer today who was dragged behind a pick up truck because he would not fight when they were using him to train a fighting dog. Physically he will be ok, mentally he is pretty abused so I have him home with Abby and me now and she is taking care of him for me.

Just wanted to clear that bit up.

My Best

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
2017 30' Classic
Old 04-18-2015, 03:50 PM   #89
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's a good thing you do, Bud.

I couldn't do it.

Maggie
Old 04-18-2015, 06:45 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
No chips, total neglect. Not going back. Watching for flyers in the area, nothing.

Dogs this neglected are never looked for....😢

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:14 PM   #91
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
I am very intolerant of "human" waste that mistreat living things ....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:00 AM   #92
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Speaking of an for myself, dogs are better than people, their lives are short and totally dedicated to their human friends. I have no respect for anyone who would mistreat a dog.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:55 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
On a brighter note - Our new rescue Larry is doing great. Abby did her job yesterday and last night and a long four mile walk this morning the three of us, tails wagging, theirs not mine and he is ready tomorrow to go back to the kennel and start his rehabilitation so he can be adopted by a family hopefully in a couple of weeks

Positive Thoughts

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
2017 30' Classic
Old 04-19-2015, 07:18 AM   #94
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We dog lovers are very passionate about our canine companions.

It's a good thing, in my opinion.

One needs to be passionate about at least one thing that makes a contribution to the world around us, or what an emotionally sterile life one would live.

Passion is what gets us going, and drives us to do the right thing.

The thing with passion, tho......it isn't always immediately controllable, in my experience, sometimes lurching to high levels when we might prefer more moderate.

Still, wouldn't want to be without it.

I've received a hijacking apology. It's okay, we're dog lovers here.

Maggie
Old 04-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #95
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I really, really enjoyed that grilled pork tenderloin yesterday, and think I need to branch out a bit now that warm weather is coming.

Doug loved to make mixed drinks......mostly gin & tonic for me. Such a delicious, hot weather concoction.

I can do that, right?

Need to check the liquor area of the cabinets, and see what's up there.

Maggie
Old 04-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #96
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Pairing down recurring expenses over this past year, I closed out last month the Citibank Aadvantage Visa card that Doug & I had for 20+ years....in time to avoid their hefty annual renewal fee.

We loved this card, used it for almost everything and paid it off every month. Used the miles and travel benefits...altho plane tickets require much advance planning...and the excellent customer service, but it was an expense I could eliminate.

Went to a Capitol One Venture card, following my daughter and hers who went to this card early this year.

Wow.

Apply online, approval in seconds, they send you your card.

Double miles, no annual fee the first year, then 1/3 of Citibank's ....use on any airline at any time, and a 40,000 travel miles bonus once you have spent 3,000 in the first three months. That's a lot of miles.

They have this incredibly cool "purchase eraser" feature, where you can use miles to "erase" a travel purchase already made on your card....ticket, hotel, car rental, etc. How cool and user-friendly is that!

My hard-working daughter and SIL are currently in Hawaii.....used the purchase eraser feature to take his round-trip ticket off their transactions summary. Gone, and free, in one swipe.

We always paid the Visa off every month, and I still do, so no need to caution about credit card balances.

There are places we were still going to go, and which I hope to now get to on my own.....this will help.

Maggie
Old 04-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Hi Maggie!

I just found this newer thread.

Glad you are doing well, that the yard is looking good, that Lily is enjoying life, and that you are keeping on.

Thanks again for the raspberry colored cap. I feel like I should sing a Prince song, Raspberry Beret, when I have it on.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #98
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Page.

The yard and spring cleaning chores are coming along, but still a lot to do.

We are having a cold snap, here...67 in the little house, may need a fire by this evening ....so I can put outdoor things off for awhile.

I'm sure Doug would be shaking his spirit finger at me if I relaxed my standards just because he is no longer here to help.

Actually, when Doug died I found myself living alone for the first time in 43 years. It was quite an adjustment, needless to say.

By the time I bought the house, my kids were old enough to help.....now, it's just me, but getting it done and reminding myself it is good I can do it, right?

Glad you are enjoying the hat.....you so loved the color, it had to be yours.

Take care,

Maggie