Old 10-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #953
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Camping stores and truck stops still sell them, this ones is from REIClick image for larger version

Name:	1444154643083.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	249875

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:15 PM   #954
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, I have one of those.

I knew there was a water kettle in the room here, so didn't bother to pack it this trip, but they are very handy.

Had a lovely day trip yesterday, to ruins at Mycenae and Epdidaurus. The countryside is beautiful and we had spectacular views of the sea. Crossed the Canal of Corinth and on toward Mycenae.....thru fields of vineyards. and groves of olive trees......also especially beautiful groves of olive trees mixed with orange trees.....cohabitating nicely with each other. The oranges from Mycenae are reportedly very juicy and sweet.

Strangers pick me up at my hotel for these day trips, I follow where they lead, pick up one bus to then be transferred to another.... following them down the street and around corners, trusting they are who they say they are and I am not going to be robbed, beaten and left in a dark alley. We are sheep.

Seriously, tho, it is always the same young man with the bus, the hotel knows them, and we are told to wait inside for them to come in and call our name. Very safe, little chance of going with the wrong person.

I have noticed there are "--- shops" in Athens , clustered 2-3 in the same block or so, around the city, I see them from the bus.....the ones a couple of blocks from my hotel that I pass on my way back always have a young lady or two standing around....waiting....heavily made up and in very high heels. No police presence, they are not trying to hide from view.....seems to not be a problem. Interesting

Fatigue is setting in a bit.....cannot imagine why....so I went directly to bed when I returned and slept all night.

Am going to poke around the area by my hotel today, mail a box home, and take it a bit easy.

The day cruise is tomorrow, then heading for home on Friday.

It has been a lovely trip, but I am ready for home.

Maggie

Old 10-06-2015, 10:36 PM   #955
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The dogs here got to me yesterday. I actually got tears in my eyes.

There were four of them hanging around the concession area near the entrance to Epidauraus. One of them looking quite thin. . I guess they stay where there is food, and the faster/stronger get more.

I asked the man at the stand for a plain hot dog, to feed to the dogs, he put two of those huge, long ones in a bun, only charged me for one......then I hand fed them, dividing it up, to the dogs. I just had to.

They are very well behaved, don't jump on you or act in the least bit aggressive. Someone on the bus said there is an organization of some sort that is charged with their care.....feed them, maybe immunize if they can catch them.

I see the same dog at the Omonia Metra station every time I go thru there.

They just live their lives in these public places.

No ones dogs, everyone's dogs.

Maggie
Old 10-06-2015, 10:53 PM   #956
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yes, stray dogs are so sad. We recently rescued a bonded pair of street dogs. They are so loving and sweet once they know they are safe, warm and fed regularly. They get along well with the rest of our little pack.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:53 AM   #957
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Chances are the dogs you are seeing are generational street dogs. Born as puppies and raised by the "pack" and towns folks as well as visitors. Our rescue actually deals with this in a hording situation on an abandoned farm. We count fifty and take seven at a time to rehabilitate, spay/neuter, inoculate and then adopt out. 14 so far and each has turned out to be a great pet for a family as they were socialized from birth by living as they do. It's sad, but dogs don't look at life the way we do, fortunately. Enjoying your trip vicariously. Have a safe trip home. Remember walk Lilly before taking her into the house and talk to her the whole time.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:49 AM   #958
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for the reminder, Bud, and I plan on doing exactly that. .

My son said Lily didn't eat the first couple of days she was there, then settled in again and is doing fine. She is getting lots of attention from his kids, who I have charged with walking her and brushing her every day, but I'm sure she is wondering what the heck is going on.

I am really missing Lily, which makes seeing these street dogs harder, I think. She was an abandoned pup when we found her 5 years ago, and in a pretty desperate situation.

It just makes me very sad, and I will be glad to get my arms around Lily's sweet neck when I get home. She is my daily snuggle.

Found my way to the post office first off this am. and mailed my box of things home.....only 4€ more for priority shipping, should be at the house the middle of next week. Can't beat that.

The beautiful young woman behind the counter....the same one who was there when I bought my box on Monday....manages everyone who comes to her window with kindness, firmness and a smile.....more postage needed, bad address, you must wait your turn.....lots of gesturing here, it is very easy to figure out what she is saying.

A whole lot of public smoking going on here, too....similar to France, where it seemed everyone smoked, and Doug was always mightily resisting the urge to fall off the nicotine habit wagon.

I have not done much today. Found a small grocery and picked up some Greek coffee to take home, walked around quite a bit.....and sat and crocheted.

I am tired, going to get myself to bed early again tonight and ready for three islands in one day tomorrow.

This picture is a side street, a pedestrian walkway, really, in Nafplio, where we stopped for a bit yesterday.

This is a beautiful country.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	249988  
Old 10-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #959
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
People live outside a lot more when winter is not an issue. Places are much more pedestrian friendly. Around here for at least 4 months the norm is that if I have to walk I'm not going.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #960
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lots of balconies here, lots of green and flowering things on them....and laundry hanging to dry.

That's where I have been hanging my laundry, too.

We found Lily 5 years ago today, at Chicot State Park in Louisiana.

We fed her and cared for her during our stay, and when no one was still looking for her when we left on the 11th, we took her with us and she became ours.

What a dear. Couldn't love her more.

I am feeling rested this morning. A good thing.

Maggie
Old 10-08-2015, 06:55 AM   #961
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Our "new" dog did not eat for a day and a half, drank water, sheds like a snow storm and did not relieve herself for over 20 hours. Stress, dog stress, not human.

Now gradually she is getting into our routine and feeling confident in her new home.

The key is patience, which I know from reading your posts you have and show Lily.

Dogs are the best. Be well, enjoy the rest of your stay.

My Best

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #962
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie... I think I'd be pretty tired by now... you've been a busy girl!!! today you're off on the cruise... waiting for pics of that!!!

thanks everyone for clearing up the "coil" thing... I've had mine for ages... I now feel good that I could find another one again if needed... I use it a lot in motels that don't have microwaves... it stays in the car in a soft sided lunch size cooler that has cocoa, coffees and snack bars in it... I'll look for the 12volt...

Great trip Maggie... you are an inspiration to me... hugs and love, gail
Old 10-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #963
4 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Hi Maggie!

I've been lurking. We are work camping in Florida for the season and I rarely get on the forums.

What a marvelous trip you have had. I have enjoyed catching up. You know who approves of your travel and is along with you. He's glad you found that ring.

And I love the photo of the early cook pot/grill. Made me think of all the cooking that goes on at the rallies.

Safe travels home to Lily's wagging tail end!

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #964
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, all.

Pick up for the day cruise was especially early, 7am, one of several buses gathering folks for this large ship. English, French, German, Spanish, Greek, at least, on board.

The seas are clear and blue, many, many sailboats, cruise and cargo ships of varying sizes. Hydra and Poros are lovely, the immediate shore walk where we are discharged is lined with overpriced little tourist shops, but the quaintness and unique character of these towns cannot be missed. Donkeys are available for riding...,I think not.

In between Hydra and Poros, they do a class in the dining area to teach the Greek dance.....some participate, most of us watch and take pictures.

In the second seating for lunch, it was almost 3pm before we ate..... a long time since breakfast, but I had a bit of frozen Greek yogurt on Hydra to tide me over. The food was decent, fresh, a good variety, and plentiful

Aegina is the last island and the pistachio capitol of the world. Pistachio trees in groves cover the island, and sellers are hawking them to visitors everywhere. We had a bus tour of the island, then a stop at a taverna for unidentifiable seafood bits.....and ouzo. 40 proof, someone said. Pretty strong, but I drank it.

I also ate a couple of the unidentifiable seafood bits....one was calamari, I think, don't know about the other, but they were good. A couple little fishes were intact, eyes and all, I just couldn't.

Back to the ship and to Athens, then by bus to the hotels after 8pm.

It has been a good trip, a very long last day, I am ready for home and will be off to the airport soon.

XO
Old 10-08-2015, 09:48 PM   #965
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Coming into Hydra
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	250054