Old 10-05-2015, 06:57 AM   #939
TMT
2 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Jacksonville , Florida
Enjoying all your posts and pictures. Thanks for sharing with everyone.

Life Is A Journey - Enjoy the Ride!
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #940
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Melanie.

Breakfast provided here at the hotel is starting to get old, at Day 5. The exact same foods, every day, my only complaint. The hotel is very clean, the staff knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. Tomorrow morning, however, I shall grab a coffee and eat the little fruit tart I picked up at a bakery on my way back this pm.

Found my way to the post office this morning, about two blocks from my hotel, and purchased a medium box to ship some things home in....at the suggestion of a friend here that this would be easier and better than going thru customs. Keeping the silver pieces with me, tho.

I don't know that I have purchased anything that would be a problem at Customs.....but, you never know. They have the same kind of shipping system here that we do.....make your box up, fill it, ship it. I can do that.

First stop after the Metra to Monastiriki was a morning frappe, getting my bearings, then found my way to the Ancient Agora...the heart of old Athens... and it's museum. Fascinating, complex society and culture so long ago. Someday, ours will be retroactively examined in the same way. We are so simply a speck in the vastness of time.

Lamb Souvlaki beautifully prepared and consumed sitting at an outdoor restaurant for lunch, with an olive tapenade and bread prior. Delicious.

I have eaten in a restaurant every day since I left, alone but for the day trip to Delphi on Thursday. Maybe I will be used to eating out alone by the time I get home.

I have walked and walked and walked and walked these past three days straight, but there is always a shady stoop, seat of some sort, or rock to rest on along the way.....everyone, young and old, just seems to just sit wherever they find a spot, no one cares, and I am doing the same.

The Greek people are so friendly and engaging....yes, tourists are their livelihood, but friendly and smiling is nice, and very much appreciated.

Sitting on a shady step at Monastiriki square yesterday, a Greek woman was standing in front of me and giving the evil eye to a youngish man, clearly under the influence of something, who had sat down next to me and started a "where are you from, what have you done since you've been here" type of conversation....hmmm.

I mean, this was not flirting...which I still recognize....and I could easily have been his mother. I suspected, and think the woman did, too, that he thought he would distract me with his charm and then snatch my bag. She was telling him "don't you dare!", with her eyes. It was sweet.

I immediately moved my bag to the other side of me, kept my hand on it, spoke with him pleasantly for a few moments, then said goodbye and left. Thanks, nice Greek lady, and I appreciate your wicked glare settling on him, but I've got this one. .

Seriously, the people here are lovely, and want their low crime rate to proudly stay that way. But for this man....and who would have not seen he was on something....I haven't had a moment where I have felt threatened....and him only mildly so.

It is warm here, but not hot, and no humidity, which is very conducive to trekking around. My easily overheated self, however, does not care about actual heat, it is exertion at any temp that is the problem.

Indelicately soaked in sweat for the third or fourth time today, and very tired from sleeping marginally last night, I decided to call it a day and skip the cooking class that didn't even gather til 5:30 pm.

Call me a wimp, but I just couldn't fathom cooking and another 4 hours or so up and moving, then having to be up early tomorrow. I'm a wuss, perhaps, but it is okay. Paid for with frequent flier miles, my own comfort and well being calling to me to take care of myself made losing this pretty painless.

The ruins here are stunning and mind boggling, and everywhere you turn....their beauty, detail and absolutely massive size constructed from marble so many centuries ago....with so much of it still standing...is difficult to wrap your mind around.

It has been a humbling year, steeped in the ancients, getting glimpses of lives lived so long ago, and so far apart.

Maggie

Old 10-05-2015, 10:16 AM   #941
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just one of many amazing marble sculptures at the Museum today....this of Antoninus Pius
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	249723  
Old 10-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #942
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A fragment of another.....
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	32
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	249724  
Old 10-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #943
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
An ancient cooking pot and grill.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	28
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	249725  
Old 10-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #944
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Wow!!! great museum piccys... now I want to go!!! you are the last person I'd ever call a wimp!!!geez!!! and I'm with you on your comfort thing.. would have been hard to "endure" 4 more hours... and since enduring is not the same as enjoying??? no question.. you are sure having a grand time there... and I/we are having a grand time following your adventures!!! H&L, gail
Old 10-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #945
Rivet Master

Aaahh, Maggie....the "familiar internal self heater"! May be more welcoming in the winter! I'm glad you're having such a nice trip...and since you are not fond of eggplant, certainly no loss. Your Health and wellbeing are more important....and a bit of rest will give you a head start tomorrow. Even though you feel capable to handle the situation with the young man, I'm glad the commanding Greek lady gave him the evil eye....which I'm sure was quite effective. She may well have known him and perhaps would have dealt with him harshly later. Thank you nice Greek lady for looking out for our sweet Maggie!
I've been following your journey, and appreciate how brave and confident you are. Lots of hugs your way! Evelyn.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:18 PM   #946
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, ladies

Yes, I slept hard last night, awakened just prior to my wake up call. . It was the right thing to do, skipping that class last night. You are correct, Gail, in that it shouldn't be something to be endured.

First cup of coffee, doing what I always do.....responding to emails and checking the Forums.

I'm so glad I brought my little TJ packets.....if I hadn't had coffee, I would have had to go buy some, because I like a cup as soon as I am up.

I have seen what is labeled Greek Coffee for sale here, may have to find room for some of that in my luggage, as there are several stout coffee drinkers amongst the kids.

Maggie
Old 10-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #947
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
I'm guessing TJ packets are Trader Joe's??? and it's some kind of coffee on the go??? this is new to me...I'll have to look for it... I do use the Starbuck's VIA coffees.. I, like you, want it soon as I'm up.. I have one of those little wire thing you submerge in a cup of water and boils it fast!!! in a motel I can do a quick pour thru... work... H&L, gail
Old 10-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #948
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, Trader Joe's, and these have cream and sugar in them...they are delicious.

Much less expensive than the Via, but I buy those with coupons at Walmart because they have decaf.....in my BIG mugs I do one of each.

Maggie
Old 10-06-2015, 06:45 AM   #949
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIR1 View Post
totally enjoying this trip!!!! If I sold the BVan I could go to Europe for a couple of months!!! hahaha hugs and love.. and as Lili just said, keep having fun!!!!
You can borrow our Smart and Tazz about ..
Whats that wire thing your talking about for coffee ?
I cant get Instant coffee to go as I drink Soya not cows milk
News on H & J .. just in .. .. check your emails
Old 10-06-2015, 07:29 AM   #950
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Thanks, ladies

Yes, I slept hard last night, awakened just prior to my wake up call. . It was the right thing to do, skipping that class last night. You are correct, Gail, in that it shouldn't be something to be endured.

First cup of coffee, doing what I always do.....responding to emails and checking the Forums.

I'm so glad I brought my little TJ packets.....if I hadn't had coffee, I would have had to go buy some, because I like a cup as soon as I am up.

I have seen what is labeled Greek Coffee for sale here, may have to find room for some of that in my luggage, as there are several stout coffee drinkers amongst the kids.
Maggie
Maggie ..
Hans is finicky .. wont let me use coffee machines or cups in Hotel rooms since he saw a programme about some [not all] cleaning staff and mischief they get up to .. .. Main reason why we prefer Airstream for holidays .. when in USA we
used one in the busy foyer .. not first thing .. but after it was already flushed through many times .. i used to own a cafe and was very careful with cleaning .. rinsed and rinsed afterward and even ran coffee through ..
seen staff in a main coffee chains more than once serving drinks just after use of chemicals .. no thanks ..

Any sign of desperate people who have landed on the shores of Greece ?makes me wonder ..
were slightly nervous about going to France now in case 5 of us go and 10 come back ..

Imported a lens from USA .. could have kicked myself .. should have purchased over there .. My Giddy Aunt .. went giddy when the post man held out his hand for $350 .. Tax and Duty ..
oh well .. took a nice picture of the Vulcan ..

Enjoyed your pictures of Artefacts ... I have a genuine Roman Pot .. perfect condition .. aggravatingly probably worth sod all .. but .. but .. own a grimy coin .. Uncle Bunny gave .. value from $50 to Thousands .. depending on certain tiny markings i cant see as I'm a blind as a bat .. need an experts eyeballs .. Gail .. you needn't sell your B Van if its at the middle of even top end .. He also let me have buttons given to my Grandfather by an American Serviceman stationed over here during the war ..
ill give some elbow grease and take a closer peek when back home ..

Rose ring looks rather pretty .. keepsakes are a must
Not sure of the time in Greece .. hour ahead or behind .. ?? .. things like that confuse me .. raining here now in England after wonderful week ..
hope it stays pleasant in Greece x

Old 10-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #951
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
coil thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCrumpet View Post
You can borrow our Smart and Tazz about ..
Whats that wire thing your talking about for coffee ?
I cant get Instant coffee to go as I drink Soya not cows milk
News on H & J .. just in .. .. check your emails
Don't know how to explain it?? plugs in to electric outlet, clips to cup with coil inside of cup... heats water... I'll look around, see if I can find you one... had mine for ages... maybe I can email you a piccy and you could post it on here?? thanks for the Smart offer.. I may take you up on that!!!

Good morning to you Maggie... where are we going today??? loving all of this... H&L, gail
Old 10-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #952
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
It's a baby immersion heater for heating a cup of water, soup or whatever. My parents had one but they were made pretty much redundant by the microwave. I've not seen one in quite a while. They even had a 12 volt one that worked off the cigar lighter in the car.