Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Greece and Parrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
This is for him.
Hello Maggie ..
Well .. after reading about your little Dog ..
I had planned to show you pictures of my beloved Pets ..
Crumpet and Muffin Leatherby ..
Being away in the States for many weeks .. then London .. Collecting Airstream from Docks in Southampton .. visiting 2 sets of friends in the Derbyshire hills .. .. dashing hinter and thither to make the Airstream Legal for English roads .. we have hardly been around in Middle England ..

Few nights ago .. I put my babies to bed as usual ..
fed.. watered cuddled and kissed ..
Around 1 am .. there was the weirdest of sounds ..
I crept down the wooden stairs 4 times in the night .. stood in the dark and listened .. nothing .. babies were quiet ..
In the morning .. Hans came downstairs as usual to collect Crumpet and Muffin to play on the bed with us .. and I heard the most awful wail from him .. Crumpet was no longer alive .. .. We have discovered .. due to spending so little time in the cottage .. when we moved out .. something moved in ..
A Rat no less .. we suspect our baby was literally scared to death .. he was not physically harmed .. but that dratted rat must have scratched around his cage to cause a night fright ... my Parrots only spend their time in their house whilst sleeping .. we don't like to see caged birds .. were beside ourselves with guilt .. Crumpet was the most beautiful of Parrots .. his eyes were like beads of glass .. his feathers the brightest of yellows and his beak beautiful red .. and he was so very tame .. Cursing Rats .. now I'm cursing my mouse .. it will not allow me to right click .. so ill have to post pictures later for you .. anyway .. have a spiffing time in Greece .. just watch the Ice Cubes .. in fact .. errr .. i'd avoid em .. i remember throwing up in a very large omelette pan due to 5 second warning .. 50 others came down with the same .. welcome drink did it .. I can laugh looking back .... I think Ill drag out my pictures of Greece .. Hans Jnr was only 10 .. or something .. Beautiful country .. I'm sure you'll have a marvellous time ..

Old 09-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #856
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Lili!

So sorry to hear of your parrot. Poor little thing.

Hope life settles down a bit for you and Hans, now. You deserve a little rest and relaxation, rather than running and ripping.

I will post a few pictures of Greece, so watch for them. Might even take a selfie with the see behind me....that would be the second selfie, ever.

Take care, and drop in any time.

Maggie

Old 09-24-2015, 09:47 PM   #857
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Lili, Hans... sooo sorry about your baby... we know how it hurts to love a pet.... hugs and love gail
Old 09-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #858
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This last 10 days or so have been a bit intense for me, dealing with the unexpected involving this person in my life, but the week is ending on a very positive note, and I am glad to be able to leave for my trip without any loose ends to think about while gone.

It feels only a little bit odd to be going on a trip by myself. I am aware nearly every waking moment of Doug's absence, but I am so much stronger than this time last year, when I was on my first real trip in the Interstate....the 5 weeks I took to get to Alumalina and back. How I love that group of people.

That trip was a biggie, but I have come a long way, baby. I am not 100%, but so much better.

Better comes from staying on your feet, and doing your life. It does.

Am taking care of lots of little things, pre trip.....making sure my newly issued chip debit card works, pulling together names and addresses for post cards, filling tiny travel bottles, sorting meds and my myriad of supplements....accumulating all the necessary accoutrements for life away for a bit.

I don't feel excitement, but the anticipation of experiencing a new and beautiful country and culture. I hope this trip goes well, as I still want to see Italy and Spain....maybe also take that inner passage Alaskan cruise Doug and I were going to do at some point.

Live and do while you can. Life is short, and you never know when it might be too late.

Maggie
Old 09-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #859
Rivet Master

Maggie, you are so brave! I admire your tenacity and your zest for life! Do have a wonderful and fulfilling experience.

For Lili and Hans...your English friends: my condolences on the loss of your little Crumpet. It hurts so to lose a beloved pet....does not matter if feathered or furred...we love them all and miss them so when they leave.

Safe travels, Maggie. Evelyn.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:51 PM   #860
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I hope to, thank you.

Maggie
Old 09-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #861
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Hi Lili!

So sorry to hear of your parrot. Poor little thing.
Hope life settles down a bit for you and Hans, now. You deserve a little rest and relaxation, rather than running and ripping.
I will post a few pictures of Greece, so watch for them. Might even take a selfie with the see behind me....that would be the second selfie, ever.
Take care, and drop in any time.
Maggie
Maggie/ Gail ..
Thanks .. sentiments much appreciated .. Hans said to rush out for another to ease our sorrows .. but Crumpet was special .. one cannot find another Crumpet so easily ..
he was a lovely young chap ..

Hans has whisked us away to Biggleswade to watch the Old Planes ..
Theres more than whispers of the one and only Vulcan flyby ..
the ground will shake on this small Airfield with the thunder of 4 Rolls Royce Bristol Engines ... ill have to hold tightly onto Muffin ! .. just over 100 made .. almost 40 tons ..
i'll bet it could lift 7 Airstreams off the ground .. I should imagine one of the last flights for the Vulcan .. by golly i do hope it comes ..

1..2.. Crumpet & Muffin Leatherby
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150829-L1007059-3-4.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	248939   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141008-Muffi Just out of bath_-2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	248940  

Old 09-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #862
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
No distraction intended.. Warbird Alley: Avro Vulcan

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:52 AM   #863
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My today....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	248972  
Old 09-26-2015, 06:58 AM   #864
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And this man knew what he was talking about....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	248973  
Old 09-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #865
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Evil makes the good stronger. Maggie, keep doing what you are doing, move forward.

On some good news, my wife Alice and I adopted a new family member, a 4 and half year old Yellow Labrador used in a breeding kennel. Tough life, but our two year old Black Lab loves her and she is adapting well to our schedule and training. We got her on Wednesday of this week and this coming Thursday we take her and Abby on her first Airstream trip for about 10 days.

Again, enjoy your trip, And Albert was right.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:20 AM   #866
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Bud, and congratulations on your new family member.

I have hired a 12 year old neighbor girl to take Lily on long walks, a two mile loop each day of the weekends she is nearby visiting her Dad, who lives up the street from me.

I'm in the low rent district, you know, a cul de sac at the end of a street with apartment buildings the other end. And, I like it.

My very nice little house, which I will soon have been in for 30 years, allows me a life outside of home ownership.....the Interstate, friends away and modest travel.

Anyway, this young lady loves dogs, has watched all the Cesar Milsn videos, is good with Lily, and seems very sweet.....and wants to make a little money. Will try her out next time she is here.

I walk Lily almost every day, but we don't do two miles, per, but for the occasional walk to downtown Normal to the favorite coffee shop.

Maggie
Old 09-26-2015, 07:51 AM   #867
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I really love the one about adversity pointing you in the direction of your own true north.

Is that not one of the most true statements...ever?

It's the storms in your life, the battering waves, your mistakes and those of others....and, if you are so unlucky, brushing up against truly dark and massive evil.....that helps us define who and what we are, what we want to be and to become.

Do we take the easy road, and become part of the problem, or define ourselves and then try to live our principles....in our work and our personal lives?

I remember a saying I read once about needing to be able to look yourself in the eye and not stand in the setting sun, hating yourself for the things you've done. We all make mistakes along the way, and have good and bad experiences with people who come into our lives. It's what we do with all that that defines who we are.

I do believe all of the good, the bad, the ugly....in ourselves and others, as we experience it, within and without....helps us find our own "true north".

We can let ourselves ricochet thru life, taking our inner direction from external forces, our use those same forces to define the kind of person we want to be, what we want to leave in this life when we are gone.

Hmmm? That's what I think. I think we all do this every day, throughout our lives.

Maggie
Old 09-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #868
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
I had a small difference of opinion with Ray. I hope that didn't contribute to him no longer on the forums if he left. Maggie, can you give him my apology if you see or talk to him.? Don't want to lose one with his experience and knowledge, one of the better posters here. Thanks.