Old 04-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #71
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Maggie, love your comments about Lily. I still see her through Cassie's eyes...there were some moments there...

Old 04-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #72
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There were.

But, Cassie set her straight, and I think that was good for Lily, really.

It has been a process.....and, I'm still learning.

She is a wonderful, loving, devoted dog, and I am so glad I have her.

Maggie

Old 04-15-2015, 03:22 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Brookeville , Maryland
Maggie, Hope things are going well. I see your buddy Lily is doing her job keeping you busy. Have you been keeping up the maintenance on your vehicles... oil changes, wiper blades, etc. etc. Any planed camping trips with grand kids? You amaze me what a 49 yr. old can do.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We just picked a couple Maltese off the street about two weeks ago. Totally matted and starving. A quick vet check and grooming, steady food, and some soft hands, and they came right around.

Dogs are super resilient in the right circumstances. We didn't figure to rescue and foster, but you just can't stand by and see a dog suffer.

The only problem we're having with them is their tendency to lick our ears off and monopolize our laps....😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:32 PM   #75
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Maggie, Hope things are going well. I see your buddy Lily is doing her job keeping you busy. Have you been keeping up the maintenance on your vehicles... oil changes, wiper blades, etc. etc. Any planed camping trips with grand kids? You amaze me what a 49 yr. old can do.
Oh, you're so funny.

Of course I keep up maintenance on the vehicles. Doug trained me well in those areas.....tried to train me in others, with limited success.

No camping trips planned with the grands at this time, just the day trip to Chicago on the train in June.

Camping with them is a major ordeal, in my new solo life. Their parents aren't ready for them to sleep in the tent alone.....I think they would be fine, at their age and with me very close by and a baby monitor on.....but then, I am much more familiar with campgrounds than they are.

We could all sleep in the tent, but that would be four good-sized children, me, and Lily.

So, not in my sights right now, but we'll see how the summer shakes out. We did a weekend last August, the adults and kids, and that went well, but coordinating time with families here and in Iowa City, and the children's activities, is not an easy feat.

I am dealing with house needs right now, so when those are all done, family gathering and Moraine View rally in June.....may look at that.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #76
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
We just picked a couple Maltese off the street about two weeks ago. Totally matted and starving. A quick vet check and grooming, steady food, and some soft hands, and they came right around.

Dogs are super resilient in the right circumstances. We didn't figure to rescue and foster, but you just can't stand by and see a dog suffer.

The only problem we're having with them is their tendency to lick our ears off and monopolize our laps....��

They're so grateful, aren't they?

I had to get Lily off my lap in the Interstate......before, because I of course am doing the driving now ......that was the only place she wanted to be when we were on the road.

It was like wearing a bear rug, all year round, and 50lbs of dog bruised my legs every time she positioned herself. Me on blood thinners.....not a pretty sight, and it hurt.

If you look carefully at the picture avatar......Doug is driving, I am in the passenger seat, and Lily is in my lap. I think, actually, the passenger side window is down and her head is resting out the window.

We were driving very slowly on those curves when that photo was taken, and she loved to have her head out of the window.

People ask all the time if Lily is a rescue, and I tell them no, she is a foundling.

Could not love her more.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Maggie,

All our pups are rescues from various bad circumstances. Nothing like a happy warm doggie to keep you company and listen to all your secrets. Best part is that they really do love humans and never tell.

We've traveled with our 4 smallish dogs in our 22 footer. They love to be with their people pack and see new places. It's fun (after the panic recedes) to see them run back to the Aurstream when they get loose. I think they see it as a big traveling dog crate.

Two years ago we put over 5,000 on the Airstream with the pups aboard.

Rich. Scratch Lily's ears for me...

Old 04-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #78
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois

Lily loves to go in the Interstate. It was her first home with us.

Actually, anywhere her momma is is where she wants to be.

Dogs really enrich oir lives. Don't know what I would have done without her since Doug died.

She generously gives, and eagerly receives love, provides companionship and listens intently.

Dogs. Good for the soul.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #79
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Yup. Absolutely.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #80
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Returned today to the weekly needlework group at the Senior Center here, that I went to a few times late last fall. Familiar faces, new projects, friendly women.

Many of them are in a life track that I just can't identify with, tho.....signing up for bus trips to here and there, classes, working to get the Board to approve this and that.

I am not nearly ready to make the Senior Center a focal point of my life, and don't know that I ever will be.

I don't feel old enough to be doing anything at the Senior Center.....but I'm a Senior, and it provides opportunity for conversation and interaction, and we all have at least one common interest,

The woman sitting next to me was talking about how much she loves to bake bread, but that she simply can't knead bread dough any more. Boy, have I got a recipe for her. Next week.

One of the things I like about this Center is that it is housed in a piece of what is commonly referred to in these parts as "the old ISSCS".

Illinois Soldiers' and Sailors' Children's School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A campus of beautiful old brick buildings about a mile from my house, and which once was at the very edge of this town, that began as an orphanage after the Civil War.......then for many years served as longterm care for generally older children in the foster care system who were not adoptable, for whatever reason.

Some of the cottages have become private residences, others small businesses, private schools, etc., have taken over others.

Many structures empty, but still standing.....sentinels to the past.

ISSCS has been closed since the late 70's, I believe, but served a need in the child welfare system that then permanently became, tragically, unmet.

Altho not a nuclear family, the kids at ISSCS had stability, good care, and one place to call home.

Some of the kids who grew up there married and had families, and we crossed paths with them on occasion. They spoke eagerly, proudly and fondly of "growing up at ISSCS", and of attending reunions with the kids and staff.

One home, one school, one bed, their own things, memories around them.

A life they could look back on as maybe not the best, but adequate, and a firm and stable foundation from which they could grow into adulthood.....as opposed to the chaos of foster care, with multiple placements more often than not, homes that could disrupt and be gone in the blink of an eye.

Not always, of course, but routinely......and no stable place, like ISSCS, for those kids who couldn't do it to land. Heartbreaking.

Whenever I pass "the old ISSCS", I am glad for the children who were able to call it home.

Maggie
Old 04-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Hi Maggie, I'm glad you opened this thread. So many of us followed your journey and prayed for you and are glad you are out and about. We are coming to Moraine View and I work across the street from a Trader Joes. If you want me to bring you some stuff, let me know and I'll throw some stuff in our freezer. I don't blame you about the mountains - they really scare me, especially when there is no guard rail. I'd love to learn how to make your dutch oven rye bread. Hope you enjoyed your time in South Carolina and we look forward to seeing you at Moraine View.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #82
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you.

I have heard that from many people, and I really appreciate the good people and friendships here.

You will enjoy Moraine View, and I am looking forward to meeing you as well.

Maggie
Old 04-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Maggie, thank you for the info on the Allstays app, I'll have to get that, although I don't know that much about how to use apps.

Paiceman, thank you for the info on campgrounds around the Finger Lakes. We don't normally stay at private camp grounds; COE's,National, and State Parks are normally so nice and the price is much better. However, having said that, sometimes you just have to.

Deb
Old 04-18-2015, 05:36 AM   #84
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Deb,

Being only somewhat computer-literate, I only use very user-friendly apps , and the AllStays app is very much so.

I find this one and the Passport America app so much easier to use than the old books we used to carry around, plus there is the elimination of those bulky books that I so appreciate.

Maggie