Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #901
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
sounds like you're doing great!!! hummm, I imagine you're on the plane about now??? Hugs and love to you... one of your followers!!!
Old 09-29-2015, 11:42 AM   #902
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I am jealous of your adventure, but thrilled for you!!!
Old 09-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #903
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Vince! Thank you. I was just the other day wondering where the h--l you had gotten to, as haven't seen you post in awhile.

Good to know you are still among the living. . Send me an email when you get a minute, and let me know what you have been up to.

I am at the airport in Philadelphia, leave for Athens in 2 hours. Had a completely uneventful trip here this morning....got myself checked in and thru TSA w/o incident

I see that my little, 3 star hotel is a room with a balcony. . I'll take a picture.

All is well. Next post will be from Greece.

Maggie
Old 09-30-2015, 03:20 AM   #904
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm here!

Had a good flight, plane was not full so everyone got to stretch out a bit for the night. I got a little sleep....enough to tide me over.

Found the visitor kiosk, very nice lady there directed me to my train, I bought a ticket, even transferred trains, and got myself to the hotel without incident. Always good to be able to add that last part. No wrong turns or missed stops today.

Waiting in the lobby for my room to be ready.

I took this picture out my window early this am.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	249373  
Old 09-30-2015, 08:52 AM   #905
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yay safely arrived!! Rest well and explore.

A friend of mine abhors selfies (of herself) but has picked up the habit of documenting where she has been by photographing her feet and a outlook/vista.

It's been fun seeing her feet, hiking boots, sandals at all the beautiful beaches and trails she visits.

Just saying, we already saw your freshly manicured toes at the train station.

Enjoy, enjoy and thanks for the updates.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:42 AM   #906
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Love, love, love that image. Well done!!!!!
Old 09-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #907
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Great picture, Maggie! Sunrise (over the Atlantic or Europe, I presume). Have a great trip. Hit a taverna or two for me.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #908
Rivet Master

So happy that you made it without problems! By the time you finish this trip, you will officially be a seasoned international traveler! Great! Sunrise pic along the wing...a nice composition, lovely. Look forward to future photos! Have a wonderful time! Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:01 PM   #909
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
This kinda fits your trip with trains and planes...
https://youtu.be/y2Smn0CgcE8
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #910
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
you're there!!!! yeah!!! yes, and I love the photo too... love morning sunrise colors... Hugs and love and keep having fun!!!!! we follow!!
Old 09-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #911
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks everyone.

The man at the desk downstairs sent me yesterday to a very nice Greek restaurant a couple of blocks away that had outdoor seating. A delicious meal, with some guidance by the waiter, for 9€. Roast pork, greens and bread. Yum.

I then followed the loud voices I had heard since I sat down, to a nearby street lined with vendors under bright orange canopies, selling fruits, vegetable and flowers of all sorts, huge bins of olives, seafood, fresh figs, nuts, etc. People were walking away weighted down with full sacks in both hands.

I'm going to have to have some fresh figs. It was a beautiful sight.

The voices I heard were these men selling their wares....not that I could understand a word said, but that's what they seemed to be doing, calling out that they had the nicest tomatoes, eggplant, onions, etc.

The streets here are like those in the heart of any ancient city I have ever been in....running every which way, no parallel streets but zigs and zags.

Being a directionally challenged person, I will have to watch myself. I have maps, of course, but brain fog was setting in late yesterday by the time I got back to the hotel, and I asked for help a couple of times. Lots of international travelers, of course, and all the young people fluent in English.

Was showered and down to bed pretty early and, after getting up to find and insert my earplugs , I slept pretty well. This is a small hotel, lots of youngsters clammoring about til all hours, but the earplugs took care of that nicely, and I got a good nights sleep.

Once traffic outside slowed, I opened my window and had fresh air all night. An interesting setup, with a metal awning type thing outside that allows air in but shields from sun and anyone from seeing in the window.

I'm sitting here, sipping coffee from my pretty mug, answering emails and getting on these Forums, just like every morning. . Free wifi at the hotel....nice. .

The "Meal in a Tavern with Live Music", a small group thing that was booked for Saturday evening, has been cancelled, and that is okay. I had been wondering how easy it would be to get myself back here late of an evening, anyway.

A day trip by bus to Delphi tomorrow, pickup and drop off at my hotel.

Today.....the Acropolis. And, I will get some pictures.

Maggie
Old 10-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #912
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Bought a 2-day ticket for the ever present hop on/hop off sightseeing bus this morning, taking the second day on Saturday. Always a good way to see the major sites and get a decent glimpse of any big city. I included the line that goes along the coast and to the ports, just because i want to see them.

Did the Acropolis/Parthenon (calling on my inner mountain goat ), the Temple of Zeus and Hadrian's Arch, had lunch in the Plaka (menu in 6 languages) and walked around there a bit, then did the National Archeological Museum before calling it a day. Plenty enough for my aging body, but everything seems to be holding up well.

Many, many motorcycles here, zipping around everywhere, including many teams of police officers on them...male always driving, female in the back.

Everything is very reasonably priced, it seems. Lots and lots and lots of tourists...many Americans, mixed in amongst every conceivable nationality.

I have had enough for today, having hit the door before 8 am. I turned the TV on, just for yucks, and it was tuned to a headline news channel....in English.

This picture is looking down on the city, from the Acropolis. It is a beautiful city, although a great deal of graffiti everywhere, which is a bit surprising....but the very old mixed with the very modern.

I need to figure out how to find at least one of those yarn stores.

Delphi by bus tomorrow.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	136
Size:	528.1 KB
ID:	249432  
Old 10-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #913
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
So good to hear you are enjoying your trip. Lovely photograph.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #914
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, I am enjoying seeing this place, experiencing and exploring something new, getting out of my comfort zone once again, all that.....but that is punctuated too often, really, with that feeling what am I doing here, and where is my husband?

It is odd....still good, but odd in almost equal parts....hard to describe, if you've never been there.

But, I'm here..... going to soldier on, do and see and experience what I can.

All part of my new life.

Maggie
Old 10-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #915
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie!!! I'm sooo pleased to get to go "along' with you on this one... I know what you mean about the other person not being there??? like when you get back to the room after an interesting day of doing and seeing new things... that person not there to share and chat about it... thankfully there's the forum!!!! hugs and love and I'm having a wonderful time with your trip!!!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:33 PM   #916
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I took this one early Wednesday, too. The location label in Photos for both says "Tyrrhenian Sea".

Someone pm'd me wondering if I was in the cheap seats/window ....yes, I was, and I chose a window seat so I would have something to lean against to nap during that overnight flight.

I did look into what it would cost to upgrade to first class, just thinking it might be nice to be pampered and able to lie down for a bit of sleep...those in first class really have a much different experience.

$3,000. Ummm, I passed on that.

I bought 3lbs of beautiful, enormous figs at the grocer yesterday, for just a few euro...they are the size of plums, and I am going to supplement my breakfast with a few of those this morning.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	160
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	249466  
Old 10-02-2015, 03:12 AM   #917
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I took this one early Wednesday, too. The location label in Photos for both says "Tyrrhenian Sea".

Someone pm'd me wondering if I was in the cheap seats/window ....yes, I was, and I chose a window seat so I would have something to lean against to nap during that overnight flight.

I did look into what it would cost to upgrade to first class, just thinking it might be nice to be pampered and able to lie down for a bit of sleep...those in first class really have a much different experience.

$3,000. Ummm, I passed on that.

I bought 3lbs of beautiful, enormous figs at the grocer yesterday, for just a few euro...they are the size of plums, and I am going to supplement my breakfast with a few of those this morning.
Maggie

Were still in Biggleswade .. Old warden .. Internet is iffy ..
so I cant scroll back easily to see exactly where you are
Jolly nice picture from the Plane ..
Id love to see some more of the streets and market stalls ..
colours must be quite stunning ..

We've seen a very small part of Mainland Greece ..
The Airport Runway ..
Weather was too stormy to drop us on the Island of Corfu ..
Most passengers disembarked ..
us 3 and few others stayed put with the pilot and stared out the window
all night long until weather eased ..
People we know from year dot have couple houses in Zante ..
invited .. never got around to it .. thats us all over ..

I remember shops with pretty pottery ...
pale blue hand painted dishes and bowls with bright squigglee patterns .. ... Love them .. Knock back a few Ouzos that'd help you sleep ..
oh well .. were off .. changing camp sites .. the entrance to this one is
a freaking nightmare .. On the whole .. The English have no idea how to accommodate large vehicles .. Looking forward to more pictures ..

TinCrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:53 AM   #918
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I'm vicariously enjoying your Greek vacation. Probably as close as I'll ever get to actually being there.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #919
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Had a beautiful drive to and from the ruins at Delphi today. Greece is very mountainous, and the countryside is absolutely lovely.

Cotton, wheat, corn and barley are planted, along with huge truck gardens. Where you can see the ground has been turned over, much of it is a very dark, rich, terra cotta brown color.

Had my first frappe today, and it was yummy.. Apparently they are a national institution here. The coffee is very dark and strong, smooth and delicious. Add cream to it and it doesn't even change color.

The buildings are all of a light colored stone, with those curved tile roofs you see in photos. There are wind farms on the mountain tops and huge areas spread with solar panels.

Drove thru old and quaint towns, with very narrow and winding streets. The shops looked really interesting, but alas we did not stop.

If Doug were here, we would have rented a car.....a small, fast one ....and driven ourselves.....he would have taken those mountain roads like a race car driver and loved every minute of it.

We also would have stopped, walked the streets of the towns and poked around the shops.

The town of Delphi itself is beautiful and bustling, nestled on a hillside near the ruins. I was too tired today to walk clear to the top, but did about half and then the museum....too much activity these past couple of days without enough sleep. . One must summon their inner mountain goat for these ruins.

We had a delicious Greek lunch, are just now back and I am pooped.

I haven't seen any shops like that yet, Lily, just the ones on the Plaka and they were unimpressive. Lots of tourist junk.

Going to get off the beaten path tomorrow, may see something more tempting then. I have an address for a yarn shop, and hope to find some Greek cotton.

Took this picture of Arachova from a wayside on the way back. It is typical of the towns we drove thru.

So lovely.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	129
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	249483  
Old 10-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #920
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Took the buses today down to Piraeus and the ports. Huge cruise ships and many, many sailboats in the harbor.

Back to Syntagma Square, found something for lunch....pointed in the case, bought it, and ate it....cheese with ham and bacon, I think, baked into a baguette type roll. Yum.

Wandered thru some of the shopping areas....meats, seafood, cheeses, spices, nuts, etc., all sold in separate shops. Very European Lovely, clean, and everyone very friendly.

Did not see the kinds of shops you have described, Lili, but people I have met who were here 30 and 40 years ago say it is much different. Isn't everything. Still have the three islands to visit on my day cruise.

Found not one but so many yarn, fabric and sewing shops that I stopped counting, all within the same few blocks. Learned that no yarn of any sort is manufactured in Greece, everything must be imported, preferably from Europe rather than China. It is rather expensive, compared to the US. Acrylic yarns at 8-9€ a skein.

The women here apparently mostly knit, with groups of them sitting in the shops, helping each other. Found skeins of cotton from Italy at a shop that gave them to me for 3€ for 100m skeins...that seems like a lot of yardage, if I calculated right. Bought some. .

Sat at lunch yesterday with folks from Traverse City. Mi, and Casper, Wy. A cardio-thoracic surgeon from the hospital in TC, his nurse friend who is a native of Crete, and his daughter/teacher from Wy. who is pregnant with her third child. A brave woman, traveling pregnant.

The surgeon had that calm, unflappable, almost eerily subdued demeanor of those for whom cutting open chests and dealing with life/death is the norm. They have been to Turkey and other parts, this their last stop before the father and daughter go home....the nurse is headed to Crete to visit family for 3 weeks. Her name was Arismelda, or something equally beautiful and musical.

There was a woman also on this trip, quite a bit older than I, who lost her husband 12 years ago and travels all over the world by herself. Hmmm. I don't quite have that kind of budget, but Italy and Spain are still on my list....

Lots of MB and what look like Sprinter vans over here, a few that seem to be small motor homes. Did see one Class C, and a large lot selling trailers.

Navigating is getting easier, as I am pulling out my IPad mini to use the Pocket Earth app, which directional arrow moves with me and points the direction I am going. It feels kind of dorky, but better than the paper maps and being bewildered every time I get to an intersection and can't find the street sign. I love this app.

I don't know how people can be in a strange place and still know north from south, east from west.....I so have no clue, unless I can see the sun and know what time it is.

Slept hard last night, and am hopefully going to be on a better sleep/wake schedule from now on.

Feel I have somewhat gotten my sea legs, too. The strangeness is much less present here on day 3.

I am striding out, just doing it.

Tomorrow.....the big flea market at Monasteriki.

Maggie