Old 08-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #617
Rivet Master

Maggie, both of above statements are "good words to live by"! I, myself, have practiced many of my Mom's euphemisms.....and have become words of wisdom to live by. A good thing for us all. God bless. Evelyn.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #618
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Hi Maggie,

We all learn new things all the time. Direct experience is that best way. Now that you have seen the tire off, you have also learned what it looks like behind there. We learn in different sequences and different ways. Keep at it. I have learned so much from you sharing your experiences!

Thank-you!
Kate

Old 08-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #619
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, bugs.

Even gone just 4 days, it takes a day to wash things up, put things away, tidy the little house, get a few fresh things in........but then, I am a solo chore-do-er these days.

Hauling in 35 lbs of dog food this morning, I'm thinking...look at me, honey, hauling the dog food, doin' it all.. What is one going to do.....do it yourself or it doesn't get done. It

I'm pouring dog food into the small, lidded trash can I store it in, Lily is wagging her tail furiously and catching a couple of mouthfuls as it pours. Booger dog. She is always so excited to see me bring dog food in.....I tell her there are no hungry children nor dogs at Grandma's house. Her hungry days ended the day we found her, almost 5 years ago,

I have blueberries that need to be used up, looking around for a recipe I felt like making, and remembered this one. My children are made of oatmeal.....hot for breakfast, in muffins, scones.....and these pancakes, which I cut out of the newspaper decades ago, and which can also be made into waffles.

We often ate them for supper, with applesauce, a nutritious and meatless meal. What's not to love....good, and good for you.

Going to make this up into waffles in the morning, no oven required, and freeze them to pop into the toaster on waffle-ish mornings.

OATMEAL PANCAKES

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup quick oats
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup powdered, nonfat dry milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 rounded tablespoon brown sugar

Mix all together, then beat together and mix in

2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons melted butter

You can add a cup of fresh blueberries to this, or 1/2 cup or so of chopped pecans or walnuts.

Let batter stand 10 minutes or so, while your griddle or waffle iron pre-heats. Batter will be thick.

Bake, enjoy.

Maggie
Old 08-07-2015, 06:21 PM   #620
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Maggie
Congratulations on hitting the MAGIC 69 ----6900 POSTS.
Enjoyed meeting you and Lily in the forest.
Jan/Ed
Old 08-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #621
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wow! I hadn't even noticed.

Is there something special about 6900, or just shows I've been around here and participating awhile?

Enjoyed meeting the both of you, as well. It was a great group, wasn't it?!

Travel safe, and hope to see you in Wyoming next year.

Maggie
Old 08-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #622
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	244901  
Old 08-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #623
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have spent this day mostly on my feet......baking oatmeal blueberry waffles for the freezer, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and a loaf of DO bread for dinner. And, cleaning up after each, because that's what I do.

My grands are here for the afternoon, hence the cookies ....currently playing with the neighbor kids....and I am doing dinner for they and their parents here this evening.....first time I have fed them all here in awhile. There's a reason for that, which I won't go into here.

Doing simple summer food, including teriyaki chicken on the grill....after pulling the homemade marinade from the freezer, the label for which is in Doug's handwriting. Pangs, memories...widowed life.

My neighbors to the south have had one of those huge, red, rental dumpster things in their front yard the last few days. Seeing them outside this morning, I just had to acknowledge its very notable presence and see what they were up to.

"Ridding out", as my first mother-in-law would have called it....."getting rid of a lot of emotional baggage", as one of them told me quietly.

Things left from life with a prior partner, squirreled away in corners, recesses, the garage, hidden and left alone so as not to dredge up feelings. New partner of several years says it's time.

I understand. I still haven't played once, nor sorted thru, our CD's, some of which need to go to Doug's kids, nor the workbench and shelf unit in the garage. Doug's territory.

They will make me sad, so I don't. Avoidant, yes, but I don't have to do it til I'm ready.

One of these days.....

Maggie
Old 08-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #624
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie... yes, you know when you're ready...pats for Lily...keep having fun!!! the chicken sounds great so that's on my list for dinner too!! hug and love from the lovely Oregon coast.. gail
Old 08-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #625
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Gail!

When I used to make things with pineapple canned in juice, I would make teriyaki marinade with the juices, fresh ginger, garlic, soy sauce, etc, then freeze it in small containers.

Doug didn't like to drink pineapple juice, but loved teriyaki anything, so that was the best way not to waste it. Can also make a good teriyaki marinade with orange juice....I have done both, also bought it in a bottle on occasion.

We typically did Sesame Noodles with teriyaki chicken, and I will include that recipe here. Delicious, well received by all I have ever fed them to, and make great leftovers by themselves or with a bit of leftover chicken or pork cut up in them.

Dinner on the patio for 6 was consumed with much relish last night, and the loaf of fresh bread eaten down to just one end.

These three grands are all slim and active, but boy can they eat. I am glad I am not responsible for three meals a day plus snacks for that crew. Their parents are very diet-conscious, so have a small garden, consume lots of fresh fruits, veggies, homemade meals, etc., but I'm sure it takes a lot of planning....and buying.

I would bake a loaf of whole grain bread each day for them, were they mine, and they would eat every bite at one meal or the other. Alas, the younger generation would generally rather buy bread than bake it.....like my mother and then I did.

Bought bread is simply not as good, is the truth....also ridiculously expensive, for what you get....in my opinion. A loaf of whole grain artisan bread at the grocer is about $5 these days, when you can make one just as good, for little effort and less than $1 worth of ingredients.

Doug's mom remembers her mother and grandmother turning out large batches of bread and rolls in a wood cook stove several times a week.....but, then, they were also feeding large families and men who worked farm chores. Many carbs needed to fuel those men.

I took the rest of my Refrigerator Pickles up to my SIL's this past week....they loved them, and so much so that I made another batch this morning. Local cukes are plentiful and cheap, gives the food processor a workout, so why not.

It is supposed to rain off and on all day today.....needed rain at this point, after deluges earlier in the summer.

A good day for tea and the Sunday papers.

Maggie
Old 08-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #626
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is a Capriel Pence recipe, for those of you who have ever watched her cook.

SESAME NOODLES

Whisk together:

1/4 cup oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2-3 cloves chopped garlic

Toss with 1/2 pound cooked, hot spaghetti, and 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes.

Cover and let stand a few minutes to let pasta absorb the sauce.

Top with toasted sesame seeds, if you like.

Maggie
Old 08-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #627
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Part and parcel of widowhood is taking on those chores once handled by the absent spouse.....doing them as you must, putting off what can wait, because.....once you have done them, they belong to you....and one more small piece of them is gone

For me, it is also about deciding what I can, want to, and will do myself, and what I will leave to someone else. So far, the really dirty and sweaty, rather distatesful, man things are being hired out....mowing, checking pressure in tires, for example.

This morning, I bit the bullet and took on two more Doug-chores.....took the Matrix into AutoZone, who very kindly and deftly removed and replaced my worn windshield wipers, at no additional charge.

I also got on a step stool, removed the AC filter and put in a new one that I went out, located, and purchased all by myself!

I'm a big girl, these are things I can handle.....and, they are now mine.

I also called my very good and reliable, all purpose plumber/AC/furnace/electrician company, who is sending out someone to replace something having to do with the original, outside water spigot in the back yard.

It is leaking around the spigot when you turn the water on, and the AC maintenance person here last spring told me it needed to be replaced....she named the part and even told me where I could pick one up.

Ummm, no thank you. Sitting on the ground, using tools I have never touched before, delving into the interior of the house, taking this thing apart....and then replacing it? I think not.

That's why I have Wm. Masters. . They know exactly what to do, have skill and all the tools....and will have it done in a whip stitch.

They are also very reasonably priced, and one can pace such things so as to not over-tax one's budget. Why ever not?

Just shy of 18 months....I still talk to Doug every day, and maybe I always will. Hard to separate from, and stop sharing with, a loved one you were joined at the hip with for so many years. And, tho I am building a new life....I just don't want to stop sharing with him.

And, it's okay.

Doug encourages and supports me in my new life, I really feel that....pursing his lips and wagging his finger at times, tho, too. I can just see him. Like when I was stuck on that cliff at Chaco, and when the wheel fell off last week.

Ahh, well, I am learning new things....it is a process, and not an event, as we say in the business.

It is 74 degrees right now, with 93% humidity here in central Illinois.

Summer in the Midwest.

Maggie
Old 08-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #628
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I love this...

"Relationships last long not because they are destined to last long. Relationships last long because two brave people made a choice....to keep it, fight for it, and to work for it. "
Old 08-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #629
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Definition of "dirty"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
For me, it is also about deciding what I can, want to, and will do myself, and what I will leave to someone else. So far, the really dirty and sweaty, rather distatesful, man things are being hired out....mowing, checking pressure in tires, for example.
Maggie
It has always made me wonder why our culture teaches girls that things like checking tire pressures are dirty, yet expects us to change diapers and clean toilets.

I would encourage you to get beyond that cultural bias enough to learn how to check the tire pressures and the torque on your lug nuts.

a. either task takes 5 minutes or so (not enough time to get sweaty)

b. neither takes much strength or skill (long-handled wrench takes care of the strength issue for the lug nuts)

c. your hands won't get as dirty with either of these as they do when gardening. Gloves fix that issue entirely.

d. both are safety-related items that will occur when you are away from home and trusted help you can hire.

Your story of losing a wheel on the Interstate scares me. Thank Heaven it was a rear wheel on a country road.

I'm with you on the mowing. Would hire that out in a millisecond if my better half would agree.

I grew up as a widow's daughter, so I had an opportunity to learn that these "guy things" are not so bad after all.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:18 PM   #630
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You're right, I know that.

I am going to buy a lug wrench, and learn how to use it before I bring the Interstate home. I'll be checking those lug nuts regularly.

I have found the tire pressure gauge, and have a 12volt air thingie....whatever those are called ....and use it for my bicycle tires. It will also work for the big tires.....I just haven't done it.

I can go into a Firestone dealer, and they will do it for free.

I will watch for a powder puff mechanic class, too. .

Thanks for the suggestions.

Maggie