Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #841
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
counting down to Greece... you'll be off the forum during that time I'm guessing??... Yeah, why would you post when you're in Greece!!! Wowowow!! already thinking how much I'll miss you!!! knowing you're having a grand time will help... and piccy's when you get back!!! Hugs and love, gail
Old 09-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #842
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, Gail, I leave Monday, fly to Pittsburgh early Tuesday am and then from there to Athens.

I will have wifi in Greece, actually, as it is free at my hotel.

I plan on taking pictures with my IPad mini, posting a few, and staying in touch with family and friends....including, of course, those here ....while I am gone.

I have been busy with things here since I got back from Iowa , have my first volunteering gig tomorrow morning and am looking forward to adding that little meaningful something to my life.

Never got my soy candles made over the weekend, so did that this morning. Eight of them.....4 rose with lavender, 4 pine with cedar.

The essential oils and soy chips make the most lovely, clean burning candles.

I love a nice candle....like a pretty coffee mug (I have a favorite rose covered one tucked into my suitcase), a fire on a cold morning, etc.

They are small, self-nurturing, quality of life things.

Maggie
Old 09-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #843
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie we are all so excited for you (Greece) and glad you'll be taking us along.

Greece is on the travel bucket list.

My minds eye can see beautiful blue water, white buildings, white sand and blue roofs.

Looking forward to seeing your pics and hearing of your adventures.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #844
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you.

I am looking forward to it.

Maggie
Old 09-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #845
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Hope you have a great trip. I'm in the UK on business this week & next week is Rome then Paris - both for fun! We saw a small vintage kin aluminum trailer in London this week. Very exciting.

Have fun
Jane

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #846
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
OK!!! glad we're going along!!! Hugs and love again, gail
Oh?? you can walk to your sons house??? didn't realize they're that close... that's a good thing...
Old 09-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #847
Rivet Master

Maggie,
Wishing safe travels for you! You have looked forward to this trip for so long. I really hope it is all you expect...and even better. It will be good for you to get away from everything for awhile.
I'm glad you'll still be able to stay in touch via the forum. You would be missed! I look forward to "tales of Maggie in Greece"! A whole new chapter for you!

Have a terrific time! Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:00 PM   #848
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Jane, and lucky you!

We were in Paris for 8 days in 2012 for our 20th wedding anniversary. It is a beautiful, beautiful city.

Gail, my son and his live a mile from me. Before long, the kids will be able to ride their bikes to Grandma's. There is an empty field between here and there, too, so when I walk Lily over there I turn her loose for a wild, running romp. She loves that. .

I live in what used to be "North Normal", but is now "North Central" Normal. The empty field we cross is part of the old ISSCS, but there is a huge field planted in soybeans directly across from that, with housing subdivisions all around it. Someone is holding out for a really nice price for that field, I suspect. There are a couple of those still around this northern part of town.

Thank you, Evelyn. I am looking forward to it, not yet really excited, but I'm sure that will come.

I'm basically packed, but for toiletries and last minute things. I can't help it.

My son and his, plus my 18 year old niece who began college here last month (the honors program, no less), will be here for a sandwich lunch on Sunday, as they have a church thing Sunday evening. I will also make a pan of brownies or something, and we will do something simple on the patio, in lieu of Sunday dinner there.

My niece, who has adored her cousin, my 43 year old son, since she was a toddler, is spending most Sunday's with them, going to church, helping with the Youth Group, etc., which is good for her.

A country mouse suddenly finding herself in a city sea of unfamiliar faces at a large University, it has been an adjustment for her, and their young extended family open arms has helped a lot.

I am increasingly disgusted with this person I trusted and the things he has done, but it is just one of those forks in the road you come across....you think you are going one direction, and all of a sudden you must change direction, trusting that you are where you are supposed to be and doing what you are supposed to be doing.

I am rolling with it well, I believe, and doing what I need to do to resolve it. It won't spoil my trip, as this is about....and reflects on....him, not me.

Nor is it life, limb or devastation. It is just something I seem to have been given to deal with. Because.....I am strong enough to handle it.

Watching the season premier of NCIS New Orleans last night....Tuesday night was always must-see TV for us.....who was on at the end, but Dr. John, one of Doug's favorites.

I like to think Doug was next to me on the couch, smiling.

Maggie
Old 09-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #849
Rivet Master

Maggie,
"If you can't change it...let it go!" This refers to 'the person'...(I don't know him, but, it is strange ...how, I DON'T LIKE HIM!....because he is making you unhappy!) I think he must not be worth your time...or your concern. Odd how folks like that can get under our skin...much like an irritant, or an insect biting...that can't be ignored.
I hope you are able to rid him and his meanness out of your mind. People like that only can have power over us....if we let them!
Yes, Maggie, you are strong enough to handle it....but, your emotional energy is needed by you in much more important areas. (Trust that he will reap what he sows!)

Deb and I watched the fall shows last night....the NCIS shows are some of our favorites....good always triumphs over evil...comforting. We could use a lot of that in real life.

Continue your focus on your Greece trip, and soon enough...you'll be there and happy!
Evelyn.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #850
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Evelyn.

I am not unhappy, I am disgusted, but going with it and doing okay. It is taking up more time than I would like, but....that is what's needed, and it is okay.

Did my first little volunteer thing this am. Nice people, and going to be good for me.

I am a bit concerned about being an agnostic volunteering with a faith based entity.

They know that, and don't seem to care, but there is a lot of some things they do that I don't do and would not mimic, so we'll see.

I am having popcorn for dinner....because, I can ....and Lily is sharing a bit with me.

Maggie
Old 09-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #851
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is for him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	248801  
Old 09-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #852
Rivet Master

Yep, I have met him in various forms...male and female throughout my life. I've always wondered how one can and will expend so much energy, time, effort... in deception...pretend to be a friend....when all the while they actually are setting you up for the "knife in the back". How can they look in the mirror...go to sleep at night? My daughter,Debbie and I, both, have encountered this type in the work force...while in the nursing profession. (They are prevalent in medicine, it appears). We came to the conclusion that most may have a level of sociopathic personality, as seem to be lacking a soul! Not much to be done with that type...except to avoid them as much as possible!

In any event, I think, left to their own devices...when they can't hurt others...the pain they inflict...eventually becomes their own! Sucks to be them!

My pups love it when I make popcorn...like little birdies...taking their turn while 'mommy feeds them' little morsels of popcorn.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #853
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
This is for him.
I second that!!!
Old 09-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #854
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think you are absolutely correct about there being some level of sociopathy in people like that, Evelyn. I had thought the same thing myself.

No conscience and no remorse, glib, superficial charm, dishonesty and duplicity....all those things. We used to call them "functional sociopaths", who stay out of overtly criminal behavior and the prison system, but walk among us and can be difficult to spot.

I think life will be difficult for him for awhile....I sincerely hope so.... but he has brought it on himself.

Had my needlework group today. A new participant, lost her husband of 62 years in May. They married at 18 & 19. Almost three times as many years as Doug and I were married....I cannot imagine.

She came because her kids kept telling her she needed to get out and do something, just like for me. She enjoyed it, and I think she'll be back.

We are having beautIful, warm and humidity free days here, with very little humidity, Lily is so excited about her walks that she is jumping in circles while I am gettIng on my shoes.

This has been a lazy week for cooking for me, just too much else going on....as in, I haven't cooked all week. Tortillas with something in them, raw fruits and vegetables have been my diet for days.

Maybe tomorrow.

Greys Anatomy and Scandal tonight!

Maggie
Old 09-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #855
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Greece and Parrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
This is for him.
Hello Maggie ..
Well .. after reading about your little Dog ..
I had planned to show you pictures of my beloved Pets ..
Crumpet and Muffin Leatherby ..
Being away in the States for many weeks .. then London .. Collecting Airstream from Docks in Southampton .. visiting 2 sets of friends in the Derbyshire hills .. .. dashing hinter and thither to make the Airstream Legal for English roads .. we have hardly been around in Middle England ..

Few nights ago .. I put my babies to bed as usual ..
fed.. watered cuddled and kissed ..
Around 1 am .. there was the weirdest of sounds ..
I crept down the wooden stairs 4 times in the night .. stood in the dark and listened .. nothing .. babies were quiet ..
In the morning .. Hans came downstairs as usual to collect Crumpet and Muffin to play on the bed with us .. and I heard the most awful wail from him .. Crumpet was no longer alive .. .. We have discovered .. due to spending so little time in the cottage .. when we moved out .. something moved in ..
A Rat no less .. we suspect our baby was literally scared to death .. he was not physically harmed .. but that dratted rat must have scratched around his cage to cause a night fright ... my Parrots only spend their time in their house whilst sleeping .. we don't like to see caged birds .. were beside ourselves with guilt .. Crumpet was the most beautiful of Parrots .. his eyes were like beads of glass .. his feathers the brightest of yellows and his beak beautiful red .. and he was so very tame .. Cursing Rats .. now I'm cursing my mouse .. it will not allow me to right click .. so ill have to post pictures later for you .. anyway .. have a spiffing time in Greece .. just watch the Ice Cubes .. in fact .. errr .. i'd avoid em .. i remember throwing up in a very large omelette pan due to 5 second warning .. 50 others came down with the same .. welcome drink did it .. I can laugh looking back .... I think Ill drag out my pictures of Greece .. Hans Jnr was only 10 .. or something .. Beautiful country .. I'm sure you'll have a marvellous time ..
TinCrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:23 PM   #856
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Lili!

So sorry to hear of your parrot. Poor little thing.

Hope life settles down a bit for you and Hans, now. You deserve a little rest and relaxation, rather than running and ripping.

I will post a few pictures of Greece, so watch for them. Might even take a selfie with the see behind me....that would be the second selfie, ever.

Take care, and drop in any time.

Maggie
Old 09-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #857
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Lili, Hans... sooo sorry about your baby... we know how it hurts to love a pet.... hugs and love gail
Old 09-25-2015, 02:44 PM   #858
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This last 10 days or so have been a bit intense for me, dealing with the unexpected involving this person in my life, but the week is ending on a very positive note, and I am glad to be able to leave for my trip without any loose ends to think about while gone.

It feels only a little bit odd to be going on a trip by myself. I am aware nearly every waking moment of Doug's absence, but I am so much stronger than this time last year, when I was on my first real trip in the Interstate....the 5 weeks I took to get to Alumalina and back. How I love that group of people.

That trip was a biggie, but I have come a long way, baby. I am not 100%, but so much better.

Better comes from staying on your feet, and doing your life. It does.

Am taking care of lots of little things, pre trip.....making sure my newly issued chip debit card works, pulling together names and addresses for post cards, filling tiny travel bottles, sorting meds and my myriad of supplements....accumulating all the necessary accoutrements for life away for a bit.

I don't feel excitement, but the anticipation of experiencing a new and beautiful country and culture. I hope this trip goes well, as I still want to see Italy and Spain....maybe also take that inner passage Alaskan cruise Doug and I were going to do at some point.

Live and do while you can. Life is short, and you never know when it might be too late.

Maggie
Old 09-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #859
Rivet Master

Maggie, you are so brave! I admire your tenacity and your zest for life! Do have a wonderful and fulfilling experience.

For Lili and Hans...your English friends: my condolences on the loss of your little Crumpet. It hurts so to lose a beloved pet....does not matter if feathered or furred...we love them all and miss them so when they leave.

Safe travels, Maggie. Evelyn.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #860
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I hope to, thank you.

Maggie