PS -- North of the last map, in case you are aiming for I-80:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/no...r-radar?play=1

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #5896
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Peter.

We have just stopped for the night, after setting out at 7 am, and drove across Iowa and most of Nebraska...gained an hour driving in to mountain time, an 8 1/2 hour day.

Every river and creek we crossed was bank full, and all the fields have pools of water standing in them.

Lily has already settled herself in for a nap.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8C40BC03-76CE-42E6-B569-F885B2C6FBDC.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	342318  

Old 06-03-2019, 05:51 PM   #5897
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Remainder of Nebraska, all of Wyoming and into Utah today.

Left at 6am...I was awake, and had had my coffee, so why not just go ...and we spent 9 1/2 hours on the road.

This adventure began to feel real today, as I started seeing signs for Wyoming, all those wide open spaces, then snow capped mountains...I am excited.

Lots and lots and lots of big trucks on the road, and I have seen a half dozen or so Airstreams heading east, maybe to International.

The Interstate has performed flawlessly, just set the cruise control and go, taking the inclines and high elevations without even a hiccup.

We had a hellacious storm last night, with wind and heavy rain that kept us awake a long time, but there was not a drop of water anywhere inside. Yeay

Lots of little pioneer and prairie museums out here, most every town seems to have one.

I remember one that Doug and I stopped at years ago, in an old, original log home, and when I saw the big fireplace with trivets on the stone hearth, and hooks for pots hanging inside, I seriously felt like I had come home.

My stomach fluttered, it actually did. In another life...

No stops but for quick potty breaks today, museums another time.

We are tired, and hopefully won’t be awakened by storms again tonight.

Tomorrow should have us in Reno...

Darling daughter made me this tissue holder for the Interstate...so pretty.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	34863EE6-4423-4757-8BEA-49603ADF9A95.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	342435  
Old 06-03-2019, 06:06 PM   #5898
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
LILLY looks so sweet! Give her a pat for me. I made it to Hot springs, AK today. Crossed the Mississippi in Memphis and the Arkansas river in Little rock. They are so high and more rain on the way; said a prayer for all those affected by the flooding. I've only seen 2 Airstreams, also heading east and there is one here at Catherine's landing...will try to say hello tomorrow. Safe travels.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #5899
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And safe travels to you, too, Debbie.

Mind the rivers, as bridges could go out.

Maggie
Old 06-05-2019, 06:20 AM   #5900
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
On the road again yesterday by 6am, spent over an hour yesterday afternoon in the wait line at the Blue Beacon east of Reno...but sooooo worth it, as they scrubbed all the road grime and every crusted insect bit off, and we are shining like a new penny.

After overnighting at WalMarts on the way out here, spent last night in the crowded but beautiful and immaculate Red Rose RV Park , in Fernley, NV, which has some of the nicest bathrooms I’ve ever seen.

AC for the 90 degree heat, cable tv, a good scrub in the shower, and clean jammies, I felt like a new person, and we slept well last night.

Lily is ready to stop driving any time, keeps looking out the window and at me with this “where are we going???” look on her face.

Labs today. We’re here...almost.

Maggie
Old 06-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #5901
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
AC for the 90 degree heat, cable tv, a good scrub in the shower, and clean jammies, I felt like a new person, and we slept well last night.

Lily is ready to stop driving any time, keeps looking out the window and at me with this “where are we going???” look on her face.

Labs today. We’re here...almost.

Maggie
Perhaps a good night sleep is all any of us need when we’re stressed.
You’ve mentioned having lab work done on the road before. Does your doctor write up a prescription or do they have to fax something to the lab you choose? I’m curious how this usually works on the road.

Btw, where are you headed?
Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #5902
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Carol!

My Dr.’s write out orders for labs, I take them in to a LabCorps, they do the draw and my doctors get the results.

There are LabCorps all around the country, also Quest Diagnostics, which is the same thing.

We are last night and tonight at a nice private campground in Bridgeport, CA, just north of Bodie, and tomorrow we’re going out to Green Creek, where Vince camp hosts, to spend a couple of nights there.

Bodie with HistoriCorps on Sunday for two weeks, then a bit farther into California to meet up with Gail.

We are walking a bit, adjusting to the altitude, cooking, etc., and Lily is doing lots of sleeping, when she is not charming fellow campers.

I also cleaned this morning ...yikes, so much dust and dirt in here ...and had a visit from a couple across the road who were enthralled with the Interstate.

Going to empty my tanks his afternoon, and fill with fresh water, do laundry and fill with propane in the morning...

Maggie
Old 06-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #5903
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Carry on!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #5904
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We spent the weekend with Vince, and his pups Oscar and Felix, at the beautiful Green Creek Campground.

Lily and the dogs got along well, Vince is clearly enjoying this post and his spectacular surroundings.

I made him not one but two hats, custom fitted exactly as he wanted.

This creek ran behind my site, more like a rushing river, the sound lulling me to sleep at night.

Tho the road in is a bit daunting, not unlike the one to Chaco , it is worth the drive.

Go, visit Vince and the dogs, see Green Creek in the Sierras!

On to Bodie!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CCCACD7E-BD8A-41A5-93D1-CFB7F438BCBC.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	557.2 KB
ID:	342878   Click image for larger version

Name:	AF80FFE4-7885-44AC-98AF-45326305EB86.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	342879  

Old 06-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #5905
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We pulled out of Bodie today, having had an amazing 12 days/two project weeks with HistoriCorps.

Back at the nice little private campground in Bridgeport for the night, I have done up two weeks of laundry...even with repeat wear, there was a lot of dirty clothing, largely dusty and gross and first in need of doing...and had a mechanism in the drivers side window replaced.

The thingy that cranks the window up broke our first day of this trip, but there really was no time nor opportunity to get it fixed until today. I’ve been using duck tape the past few weeks to close the gap to cold and insects, til this enterprising young man Vince set me on to completed the repair this afternoon.

This had apparently been repaired before, with a zip tie.

Earnest, honest, and skilled, Gregorio Jiminez is working to set himself up in business here, being the only mechanic in Bridgeport, CA. He’s ordered me a new air filter, too, and is going to meet me in the NAPA parking lot tomorrow to replace that for me.

I have lots of pictures from Bodie, and will get more posted soon. I am very tired tonight, and will be to bed early, feeling like I had no sleep at all last night, but didn’t know why until talking with fellow volunteers this morning who reported we had a pack of coyotes in and around our campground in the night.

That might have done it.

Temps also dipped into the 30’s overnight. Brrrrr, tho I never turned my furnace on once, just toughed it out to be sure there was enough propane to keep my frig going while there.

I worked on the Bodie railway house my first week, in addition to kitchen and cooking chores before and after, but the second week there were lots of volunteers so I stayed in camp between breakfast and dinner, baked skillet bread and crocheted.

Four warm hats, many potholders and dishcloths shared with the staff and volunteers. A good thing,

They loved the skillet bread, and I found no problems doing this at 9,000+ feet.

I baked an entire batch at a time in a 15” or so cast iron skillet, and it came out great.

Discovered another shirttail cousin thru adoption, Bobby, whose Cherokee ancestor was adopted by Henry Clay.

Bobby received the first hat, and made me a beautiful coffee scoop in exchange.

Lily did well overall, and got to run loose for two weeks, tho was a bit challenged by 4 other dogs the second week. She is who she is, and it wasn’t always pretty, but no blood was shed.

All is well, a great experience, glad to return to electricity and basic amenities, tho.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	07754F9A-EFC7-4C2C-A8A1-E2E22D5BABA0.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	481.2 KB
ID:	344056   Click image for larger version

Name:	E25F161F-2963-4023-AC02-F17B7EB001C1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	344057  

Name:	A3F5464B-764F-4FAE-9CCE-CCD9F9FECC51.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	344058   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACC96F36-5794-4A42-9BC4-29BC6DC3BA0C.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	344059  

Old 06-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #5906
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
So glad you had a wonderful time and glad to see your post. We missed you

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:12 AM   #5907
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you.

Down to sleep by 7:30 PT last pm, we feel much better this morning.

A mountain lion perched on old framework on the road to the job site Thursday morning, our camping area visible in the distance from our view from the stamp mill during an after hours tour Thursday evening, view from the road as I left yesterday morning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F896C273-E386-4B78-865C-04BA8AE5DF54.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	344084   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB4DFEF0-42FB-45A5-97F3-6ABBCB7E135B.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	344085  

Name:	422B40F6-EB8B-4E7E-BA75-9DBEAA4E6BDA.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	344086  
Old 06-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #5908
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the great photos . . . wonder if the mountain lion climbed the stairs to that perch!

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote