Old 05-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #5867
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, ladies.

I made a run to the cemetery today...seriously, a “run”, there and back in about 8 hours.

We have had so frigging much rain, I have waited for some days of sunshine so that I could reasonably expect to drive into that cemetery without getting stuck...no roads there, ya know, just gentle ruts from years of vehicles.

I needed to go, to pay my respects to this man in my life 27 years, to tidy his grave and to leave some flowers...a spring task, and today was the day.

The roads were clear, and construction areas light. Buddha smiles, Doug would say.

I say “I” made a run, because I left Lily with my son, temps suddenly jumping to near 90 today, and me going up and back in the same day, just seemed the best plan.

Not just me, tho, of course, really, but me and my shadow life...the before life, tagging along, as it does everywhere I go, and in everything I do, that he and I once did together, or that he used to do in the before but the task is now mine.

The dirt and gravel road to the little church, that we took once years ago, on our way to visit his Mom.

Doug remembered going to this church with both of his parents, his Dad dying the day before Doug’s 4th birthday, by which time they had already moved “to town”.

Very early memories, which included the well behind the church, the bucket water was drawn up in, and the common dipper everyone used who needed a drink.

As we stood in front of the church that day, a pickup truck came by, with someone at the wheel who Doug knew from his growing up years...who recognized Doug, stopped, and just happened to be on a board of some sort for this church...and so he had a key in his pocket and took us inside, bringing tears to Doug’s eyes.

No electricity, no heat, no air conditioning, but a special place where Doug told me he wanted his funeral, then to be buried next to his Dad in the small church cemetery on a nearby hill.

I’m so glad we had made a visit there, so that I knew of his wishes and had this memory tucked away to retrieve when he died so suddenly.

Many things to complete in those early days, and many decisions to make, tho where his service would be and his body laid to rest was not one of them.

Every year there are more of his relatives nearby, new graves where cousins, aunts, and uncles have been laid to rest.

Doug’s people were important to him, and he would like that.

Headstone cleared of debris, red roses left.

Widow tasks.

Maggie

Old 05-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #5868
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thank you for sharing that Maggie. Life. Humanity. I love reading your posts.

SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:55 PM   #5869
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Maggie, there are times when I read your stories, I think you should consider writing a book about your life with Doug.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #5870
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you.

I’ve thought of writing a book, and actually Doug and I talked of this, but I have so much I could tell...where to start, what to include, where and how to end.

Should I ever, I think it will be something I just set out and do...the mood will strike me, and that will be that.

We’ll see...

Maggie
Old 05-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #5871
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I’m sure it would be a great read...
Old 05-16-2019, 05:18 PM   #5872
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You have no idea.

It would certainly be interesting, but I might have to write it, change my name and go into witness protection.

Maggie
Old 05-16-2019, 05:23 PM   #5873
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Makes it even more fun to read. Notoriety is much more fun that obscurity, yes?

I’m sure you could pick out the good bits.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #5874

1996 25' Excella
Francisco , Indiana
Dog Hair

Maggie you posted a good while back about a supplement you gave your dog to cut down on the shedding. I have looked but can not find the thread. I believe Paiceman suggested it to you.
I have a friend who is having a terrible time with her dog shedding. Are you still using, did it continue to help and could you give me the name of the supplement please?
Look forward to all your posts, you have a gift for writing.
Hickory
Hickory1945 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:49 PM   #5875
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi there, and thank you.

It was Shed No More, and I stopped giving it to Lily within a year, as I recall.

It did decrease her shedding, until she suddenly would blast forth masses of hair, then go back to less shedding, then blast forth masses of hair.

I just deal with daily shedding, all year round, keep her brushed and vacuum often.

It was just trading one problem for another.

Maggie
Old 05-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #5876
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Brought the Interstate home from storage yesterday, Lily wagging her tail when I came back...are we going bye-bye???

Yes, yes, YES!

Packing, sorting, re-sorting clothing, etc., going to vacuum out there today and start loading some cold weather clothing and items I won’t need before I get to the elevations in California.

Very cool with overnight lows in the 30’s are the usual this time of year.

I expect to need heat at night, and hopefully we will not have snow.

My sister in law, one of her daughters and a grand were here most of Saturday, and we had a great visit, a pre-visit to the family gathering June 1, they down here to visit a nursery they like for bedding plants.

My favorite extended family members for many years...straightforward, good hearted, hard working folks, with a good moral center and none of the gossipy, passive aggressive, spiteful, mean-spirited behavior that plagues some of the “others”...and which I soooo detest.

It was a great day...visiting, catching up, sharing a couple of meals.

I’ve had an unusual amount of company this spring, and it’s been nice.

Had a tree service come yesterday, and do an overdue, heavy cutting back of my dense yews in front...they removed a small forest of brush, and this is the result.

Yikes.

And now I must get some Preen and mulch down in there, lest I return home in a couple of months to find the area now exposed to sunlight full of weeds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	460C3174-DE76-42E7-8E3C-BB47955FEC24.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	341411  
Old 05-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #5877
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Updating the Bug-Out bag for the Interstate today...throwing out degraded AAA batteries, vacuum sealed dog food, trail mix and Cliff Bars, to replace with fresh.

I’d forgotten what all I had in there.

I clearly recall Doug and I talking of putting together this bag, making a list of emergency essentials for ourselves and Lily, and I began this thread as we planned.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ss-112133.html

It was so odd...we’d had 6 years of glorious retirement travel under our belts, but had suddenly acquired a rather commingled sense of imminent doom, and that travel as we knew it might stop at any moment.

We talked about it, and how grateful we were for all we’d had.

A month later, a historic, devastating tornado hit Washington, Il, just north and west of us.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torn...ember_17,_2013

Houses and businesses were flattened in the storm’s wide path of destruction, and people were killed.

A few months later, he had died suddenly, and life had indeed changed forever.

As I type, I am keeping an eye on a severe storm system making its way my direction, which has already spawned a tornado, heavy rain and hail.

One of those storms that requires continuous coverage by our local weathermen, until the last tornado threat has expired.

Long before I could hear any rumblings of thunder, Lily was panting and staying close. She hates thunderstorms.

I am acutely aware of the fragile hold we all have on life, and I am grateful.

Regularly update your Bug-Out bag, folks, and if you don’t have one, consider putting one together.

We never think it will happen to us.

Maggie
Old 05-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #5878
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Updating the Bug-Out bag for the Interstate today...throwing out degraded AAA batteries, vacuum sealed dog food, trail mix and Cliff Bars, to replace with fresh.

I’d forgotten what all I had in there.

I clearly recall Doug and I talking of putting together this bag, making a list of emergency essentials for ourselves and Lily, and I began this thread as we planned.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ss-112133.html

It was so odd...we’d had 6 years of glorious retirement travel under our belts, but had suddenly acquired a rather commingled sense of imminent doom, and that travel as we knew it might stop at any moment.

We talked about it, and how grateful we were for all we’d had.

A month later, a historic, devastating tornado hit Washington, Il, just north and west of us.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torn...ember_17,_2013

Houses and businesses were flattened in the storm’s wide path of destruction, and people were killed.

A few months later, he had died suddenly, and life had indeed changed forever.

As I type, I am keeping an eye on a severe storm system making its way my direction, which has already spawned a tornado, heavy rain and hail.

One of those storms that requires continuous coverage by our local weathermen, until the last tornado threat has expired.

Long before I could hear any rumblings of thunder, Lily was panting and staying close. She hates thunderstorms.

I am acutely aware of the fragile hold we all have on life, and I am grateful.

Regularly update your Bug-Out bag, folks, and if you don’t have one, consider putting one together.

We never think it will happen to us.

Maggie
Maggie,

Hope you won’t have to use that bug-out bag at all. Tornados, earthquakes, and hurricanes are serious business and we should have plans in place to respond appropriately. I too am grateful.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:16 AM   #5879
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Carol.

I’ve been watching the weather for Bodie, and today there is a winter weather advisory...this could be interesting.

Message: NOAA-NWS-ALERTS-CA125CF9153F84.WinterWeatherAdvisory.125CF9326280C A.REVWSWREV.ba3b91194e4b930e29d535c4e6f963a2 from w-nws.webmaster@noaa.gov
Sent: 14:05 PDT on 05-25-2019
Effective: 05:00 PDT on 05-26-2019
Expires: 05:00 PDT on 05-27-2019
Event: Winter Weather Advisory
Alert:
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM SUNDAY TO
5 AM PDT MONDAY...

* CHANGES...A minor increased to snow accumulations in the
highest elevations.

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 9 inches
of snow above 7500 feet. 1 to 4 inches of snow is possible
between 6500 and 7500 feet. Locally higher amounts up to a foot
are possible in the highest elevations of Mono County and Alpine
County.

* WHERE...Greater Lake Tahoe Area and Mono County.

* WHEN...From 5 AM Sunday to 5 AM PDT Monday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on slippery road conditions. Gusty
winds could bring down tree branches.
Instructions: A Winter Weather Advisory for snow means periods of snow will cause primarily travel difficulties. Expect snow covered roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving. The latest road conditions can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.
Target Area:
Greater Lake Tahoe Area
Mono
Old 05-28-2019, 07:09 AM   #5880
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I texted this picture of Lily yesterday to the two HistoriCorps staff for the Bodie project, just to give them a heads up to her coming presence.

Dogs are welcome if the host site allows them, and she has thus far not only done very well but been eagerly received.

I was talking to her, whilst trying to take this picture...notice her ears slightly up, so attentive and aware.

Such a good, sweet girl.

There apparently have been bears sighted in the park recently.

So, I’m packing and organizing, getting ready to leave for a couple of months, with the luxury of being able to get a lot of things into the Interstate...unlike leaving in January, when anything that could freeze has to be schlepped out at the last minute.

Experiencing these unusual, niggling twinges of anxiety about traveling, and realizing that this time last year I had just had a major accident, the first in my life...totaling the Interstate, and a near death experience for Lily and I.

A little anniversary-elevated PTSD, methinks.

I haven’t entered an intersection once since that accident, without remembering being hit that day.

I also look both ways, several times, every...time...

PTSD...where past trauma super imposes itself, unbidden, onto any similar circumstance, requiring the traumatized to discern each time between real and perceived.

Two doctors appts this week, the remainder of packing and readying the Interstate for travel, darling daughter home Wednesday, cooking and food prep for the family gig on Saturday...my week is full.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C1F5A977-213E-4E13-A420-767FA7A7B86D.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	341897