Old 04-28-2019, 08:36 AM   #5853
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Sorry to hear about the melanoma. Ive been off the forums for six months as we sold our Classic and bought a 42 5th Wheel which sits on a lot we own in a gated RV place in FL. But, the itch is already back to travel and do so in an AS, so sorta looking for a used 25 Twin. And the 5th Wheel not one bit of problems after five months living in it except those caused by me or dealer. Advice on the melanoma is but some long sleeve fishing shirts. Down here in FL I wear them daily even under a golf shirt when playing golf. That and SPF 50-70 our dermatologist said will help, but lots of damage already done

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #5854
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Bud, and so good to hear from you!

Glad you two are doing well, and sounds like a small travel-something would be perfect for little sojourns out among we wanderers.

I have an SPF protectant shirt, and some others meant for sun deterring, also a good supply of SPF 100. I will do what I can at this point.

Lily is doing great, you’d be proud of her.

Still Lily, with those big teeth, , tho age and owner experience have mellowed her out a lot.

I’d like to set you to work on the pit bull mix my daughter and SIL have...

Take care, and thanks for dropping in.

Maggie

Old 04-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #5855
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Sorry to hear about the melanoma. Ive been off the forums for six months as we sold our Classic and bought a 42 5th Wheel which sits on a lot we own in a gated RV place in FL. But, the itch is already back to travel and do so in an AS, so sorta looking for a used 25 Twin. And the 5th Wheel not one bit of problems after five months living in it except those caused by me or dealer. Advice on the melanoma is but some long sleeve fishing shirts. Down here in FL I wear them daily even under a golf shirt when playing golf. That and SPF 50-70 our dermatologist said will help, but lots of damage already done
Hi Bud,

Good luck with you Airstream search. They do get in your blood.

Are you at TGO? We have Airstream friends there and are seriously considering downsizing the Florida home by moving there into a "Resort Home" in a couple of years. We may come up for the Tuesday open houses to check a couple out.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:32 AM   #5856
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Hi Bud, and so good to hear from you!

Glad you two are doing well, and sounds like a small travel-something would be perfect for little sojourns out among we wanderers.

I have an SPF protectant shirt, and some others meant for sun deterring, also a good supply of SPF 100. I will do what I can at this point.

Lily is doing great, youd be proud of her.

Still Lily, with those big teeth, , tho age and owner experience have mellowed her out a lot.

Id like to set you to work on the pit bull mix my daughter and SIL have...

Take care, and thanks for dropping in.

Maggie

Id be glad to help with the PIT remotely

Be well

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:47 AM   #5857
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Bud, I’ll mention that again.

The pit “corrects” what she sees as Lily’s problematic behavior by biting to the point of drawing blood. Repeatedly.

That is across the line, for me.

I understand it, but have decided I can’t subject Lily to it, in addition I fear it will escalate and the pit will seriously injure or kill Lily.

They are both alphas, which of course is problematic in its own right, and I didn’t know this when we first introduced them.

There can only be one boss, right? Lily will submit to the pit, but can’t eliminate her own behaviors protective of me.

No more long visits camped in the driveway, we will stay in a campground when out there and they will visit us.

We’ve talked about it, and tho less than desirable it will have to do.

Take care, Bud, and hope you find yourself a trailer.

Maggie
Old 05-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #5858
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It has been a phenomenally wet spring in central Illinois, and we have had 5”-6” of rain this week.

Rivers and creeks are over their banks, farmers have not been able to get into the fields to plant, water is standing in yards...including mine...it is just a mess.

However, we need water to live, and too much is better than not enough, but it is difficult not to pay attention to it.

And, that 50-odd pounds of grass seed I put down last fall is very, very happy, up and spreading and filling my lush lawn.

Carpet steamers are coming tomorrow, so my bed is apart so that I can vacuum underneath (where Lily spends a lot of time ), everything has been moved and is reasonably free of dog hair.

My son was helping me with something the other day, and, being 6’4” or thereabouts, he travels much closer to my ceiling than I do.

So, he’s pointing out to me the dust residing in the area of the ceiling fan on the bedroom ceiling, not otherwise seen by me...who travels much lower to the ground...in large part because that room is never brightly lit.

So, I spent an extended period of time this morning with the vacuum extension and a flashlight, tracking down all the ceiling dust bunnies and sucking them up.

Yikes, there were in fact quite a few, which I had not seen, and couldn’t see until a bright light was shined on them.

Coming to the end of spring cleaning, and my son will be here Saturday to help me install my new outside shutters.

A few things left to do in the yard, mending of fence and spreading of mulch, and then will be done for awhile.

I’m starting to get the travel itch...

Maggie
Old 05-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #5859
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My walls in the living room have been cleaned, and the carpet has had its annual, professional once-over.

I love it.

And, just in time for more company...Gerard and Laura are finishing a long trip and stopping by on their way home!

I am soooooo delighted.

One of the advantages of living in middle America, being on the trajectory for coming and going.

We are supposed to have three days of good weather, so I will be able to watch my grass grow.

Maggie
Old 05-05-2019, 10:59 AM   #5860
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My sweet son and all three of the kids came over yesterday and put up my new outdoor shutters...everyone helping to drill holes in the new ones, and install them on the house using the cordless drill.

Grandma mostly stayed out of the way, letting them deal with the sun and measuring and this and that...they all learned something new, and seemed glad to help out tho Camden said he thought he probably could have gone his whole life not knowing how to install shutters, and that would have been okay.

Md-way thru, Grandma sprang for lunch at Steak n Shake, which not only has decent burgers and the favorite cheese fries, but the best milkshakes anywhere.

They were absolutely packed on a beautiful Saturday in May, with longer than usual delays for food, but no one seemed to mind.

Sweet babies.

No summer trip planned with Grandma this year, but next year we are tentatively set for one by train to Glacier NP...sleeper car, the Isaac Walton Inn, and the whole deal.

The kids are rapidly growing up, and Grandma is not getting any younger, is the reality of it.

We have a year to stash travel miles and make plans...go big, or go home, I figure.

Little house is shipshape, and but for some mulch still needing spread the yard work is done.

A good thing.

I finished this book last night, and it is a better than average mystery with some unusual twists.

https://www.amazon.com/Dear-Amy-Nove.../dp/006243392X
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97D98C62-26A1-48AD-9EB3-CA3AFABE60C0.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	339801  
Old 05-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #5861
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Gerard and Laura are here!

On their way home after their winter trip.

So nice to see them, they headed to their campground for the night and will be back tomorrow...when we will cook.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AEEE3A0B-96CD-4E41-A17B-12448F8C1E6A.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	340160  
Old 05-08-2019, 04:17 PM   #5862
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Nice argosy, have a good visit.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:02 AM   #5863
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is a cold and damp Mother’s Day in central Illinois, but the local weatherman noted that in 1966 we had snow this time of year.

43 degrees currently, my furnace running rather than the AC, but the rain has slowed and we are expected to have highs in the 80’s by the end of next week, so the heat will be here soon enough.

The upside to below normal temperatures is that the speed of the grass growing after all this rain has been moderate, rather than accelerated.

I’m sure the farmers are distressed, as it has remained too wet to get into the fields.

Had a great visit with Gerard and Laura, who by now should be safely home in Ontario.

Two sets of visitors to the little house this spring...so good to see all these folks, so nice to be able to just pick up where you left off when you last saw them a couple of years back.

My to-do list is dwindling, sweet son coming over with his cordless drill yesterday to help me replace a deteriorating panel in one of the back yard gates/reinstall the latch...one of the last items, and very overdue.

Now done, and other bits of fencing also repaired by yours truly, mighty hammer in hand.

The carpet steamers did an excellent job on my living room walls with these kind of mops last week, available many places, so I decided I needed to have one to keep after them myself.

By hand on a step stool is just tooooo much for me.

Darling daughter will be home in a couple of weeks for the annual family thing, for which she gifted me CBD oil to help manage my expected elevation in stress level.

Then, heading to California.

Time to update my lists, expand the staging area for departure, gather together this and that, with nothing important left behind if at all possible.

I am excited.

Came across this quote in an otherwise unremarkable book last night...ain’t it the truth.

“Life’s not about staying on a path, but about surviving the detours.”

Flowers from daughter and SIL, and I will take blueberry cobbler to my son’s later today...I like being the guest.

Happy Mother’s Day!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01FCB125-591F-4E87-AA34-FB2F812902D5.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	340486   Click image for larger version

Name:	299DC054-1A8E-42D9-BC39-1C4C25F206C1.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	340487  

Old 05-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #5864
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A cousin on my fathers side emailed me this morning and asked if I would like to have our Nana’s steamer trunk that she brought over from Copenhagen in 1908.

She and her husband are looking to downsize, and I of course would love to have this, so we will arrange a transfer of custody in the coming months.

Only 27” wide, containing all of her worldly possessions...as she left all of her family behind in Denmark to start a new life and marry her sweetheart already settled on Long Island.

Stenciled on the top of this trunk are her name, and that of the ship she traveled on.

Wow.

Two loaves of bread baked today, to be sliced tomorrow for the freezer, the one on the left is rye.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3865038E-D8E6-4D6F-A591-00E8C0FED2D7.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	340821  
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #5865
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chillicothe , Illinois
Wonderful family heirloom!
Old 05-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #5866
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Wow, that is awesome and the bread looks to be also!

Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote