Old 04-14-2019, 07:32 AM   #5839
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sleet and snow today, with accumulation of 1”-2”.

On, of course, our trees and flowering shrubs that are leafing out, and the tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, etc., already in full bloom.

Swapped the Interstate out for the car yesterday, to plug it in and run some heat ... til tomorrow, when temps are expected to return to normal in central Illinois.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A0888F0C-9DBB-42A1-97AF-DCEF03A03840.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	338100   Click image for larger version

Name:	381C234D-C74B-40B9-9B91-F067E5561658.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	338101  

Old 04-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #5840
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The (hopefully) final storm of the season is over, we have sunshine and warmth, grass is growing and budding trees, flowering things seem unharmed by the snow and ice.

I made Mueslix today, a recipe I have posted before, but something for which no actual recipe is needed.

Toast quick oats lightly, add nuts of choice, then when completely cool mix in a light dusting of brown sugar and dried fruit of choice.

I like sliced almonds in this, and cranberries or cherries...slightly aging dried cranberries were what were on hand in my cupboard , so this is an all-cranberry version.

Keeps very well in an airtight container, cover with milk or almond milk and let sit a few minutes before eating.

I frequently slice some banana onto this, or add fresh berries.

An excellent breakfast, or light dinner.

I splurged and ordered a HistoriCorps sweatshirt the other day, along with this tote bag that I could not pass up.

“If not you, who? If not now, when?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	72514A15-BC26-4D8E-B224-05E9505DC36F.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	338311   Click image for larger version

Name:	EEE88A50-1A85-4DD1-91BA-92A50B4FBC1B.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	338312  

Old 04-16-2019, 12:55 PM   #5841
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
;0

Glad you described the Mueslix first.... otherwise we might have wondered where you found those bugs in the sawdust.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #5842
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I took the Interstate into Meinecke yesterday morning, to have them specifically assess the brakes and exhaust system for anything needing repair or replacement, to find that while they can work on a Sprinter van they cannot work on the Interstate because of added height.

They sent me to Don Owen, where I went with appointment this morning and asked to be shown what is good and why, or what needs replaced and why.

Mind you, the Interstate was just serviced last week, and I was told everything looked fine.

I was shown this morning where one of the front struts is leaking, also that the lower ball joints need to be replaced.

Exhaust system looks good, brake pads are good.

Iím glad I got a second, and expert opinion, but rather disgusted that the leaking strut was not identified, as even I could see there was something different with the curbside vs roadside strut. Sigh.

When I pick this up in a day or two, the 30 year mechanic at Don Owen is going to show me exactly where and how to hook up my new battery charger, too.

Iím learning.

Maggie
Old 04-18-2019, 05:58 AM   #5843
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My sweet son was here for Wednesday-lunch-with-Mom yesterday, and as I was lamenting the leaking strut issue he informed me that unless the Interstate were elevated...or over a pit, as Don Owen does it...they wouldn’t have been able to see it.

Given that what I had done was “oil and filters”, and “a good look around”, perhaps this is something they predictably would not have seen, and it was good that I made an extra stop just to have brakes and exhaust checked.

And so, the lesson learned from this...brakes and exhaust are examined from below, and “a good look around” is a limited examination.

Maggie
Old 04-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #5844
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Moscow , Idaho
Maggie,
I made some fire starters following your posted instructions and they are fabulous! Other than a couple of wax messes it was a snap. Luckily wax scrapes off counters easily .
I lit one just to test if I had followed the process correctly. Wow, itís practically a bonfire on its own! Thanks for this tip. Iím looking forward to hear about any History Corp adventures you might have this summer. Maybe we will cross paths again as we did in Estes Park!
Debbie
Debbie Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #5845
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Debbie!

Those fire starters are so easy to make, and so inexpensive!

The last time I made them, I skipped the muffin tin altogether, and put cedar shavings in 18 paper cups on a sheet of waxed paper.

I used just enough paraffin to hold the cedar together, then made a couple of twists out of the messy waxed paper and used those as fire starters, as well.

Much less cleanup.

Iíll be in Colorado in July, so we can surely connect somewhere.

Thanks for stopping in, and travel safe.

Maggie
Old 04-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #5846
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I debated sharing this here, and decided I would, as my experience may benefit someone else...

While I was traveling this winter, a mole on my forearm caught my attention, and by the time I was home I felt pretty certain something was amiss.

I’d had it all of my life, but it had gone from being multicolored, flat/flush with my skin, to slightly raised and with a reddish, scalloped border.

I had become so watchful of it, that I wondered if the changes were my imagination. They weren’t.

Last Monday it was removed, and on Thursday of this week I got a call from the nurse to come in the next day to get the results in person.

Dum, de dum dum, dummmm.

It was indeed a “superficial spreading” melanoma...my first, tho I’ve had several of the basal cell carcinomas removed...and next week I go to the OP surgery center to have a larger section of flesh in that area taken out.

While I was in there yesterday, the dermatologist checked me over from top to bottom and also removed another small, multicolored mole from the same forearm.

The margins were clear in the tissue taken last week, and it wasn’t to a depth that warrants lymph node testing, so there is no reason to be concerned at this point that it has spread elsewhere, but I will have to have full body exams every three months for at least the next few years.

If this one were not on my forearm, I wouldn’t have known of the changes, and it would have been 6 months or so before I had a skin exam again.

By that time, I could have been in real trouble.

So, if you have a history of over-indulging in the sun, are fair skinned and burn easily, or have lots of moles (all like me), or other high risk indicators, be watchful and aware, and be sure a trusted medical professional regularly examines in particular your skin that you cannot see.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/melanoma-skin-cancer.html

The Interstate is back in storage, sporting new struts and ball joints, so after an expensive two weeks we should be road-ready once again.

I borrowed my sons’ power washer and cleaned my front porch and driveway the other day...a BIG job, two hours of steady work, but it is all now very clean and fresh looking. I like.

I’ve been cleaning, moving things, scrubbing and vacuuming, feeding plants, getting PREEN spread, trimming this and that...spring choring at the little house is well underway.

We’ve had chilly temps again, but are supposed to be in the mid-70’s tomorrow, when I will bake biscuits and brownies to take as the guest for dinner.

Maggie
Old 04-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #5847
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Hi Maggie!
Sorry to read about the melanoma. Glad you caught it early. I have had one basel cell removal and am always checking my moles.
We are heading your way tomorrow. Any chance we might be able to meet up and catch up?

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:39 AM   #5848
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagey View Post
Hi Maggie!
Sorry to read about the melanoma. Glad you caught it early. I have had one basel cell removal and am always checking my moles.
We are heading your way tomorrow. Any chance we might be able to meet up and catch up?
Hi Page!

I would love to see you and Bob!

I still have a phone # for you in my cell, letís coordinate that way.

Iíll text you.

Maggie
Old 04-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #5849
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have had a wonderful visit with Bob & Page, they heading on toward Minnesota in the morning.

This is Bessie, their TV, which drew a bit of attention in front of the little house.

Safe travels, you two, and will catch up with you again later this summer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	07F608EA-D81E-409B-B72F-EF673771E1E0.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	625.1 KB
ID:	338954   Click image for larger version

Name:	7E60C473-6877-4601-95F7-A5502A985F18.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	454.8 KB
ID:	338955  

Old 04-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #5850
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Have had a wonderful visit with Bob & Page, they heading on toward Minnesota in the morning.

This is Bessie, their TV, which drew a bit of attention in front of the little house.

Safe travels, you two, and will catch up with you again later this summer.

That is just about the most interesting Airstream TV that I have seen. Thanks for posting this Maggie.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:40 AM   #5851
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have been working on spring choring at the little house, doing some touch-up painting inside and out, moving things and cleaning, all that good stuff.

Carpet steamers are coming next week, and are also going to do the walls in the main part of the house for me...the woodstove, you know, which I love, but it does generate more than the usual amount of dirt which regular dusting and vacuuming just doesn’t get to.

They have 18” microfiber cloths on poles, two men will go at them with those and a cleaning solution, like they do for mold remediation, and they will surely be cleaner than they have been since the last time I painted...well in the before time.

I have done some wall washing in the living room, but it has been a couple of years. The wall around the wood stove is particularly difficult, requires a high stool with a fair amount of reaching, and I’m older now.

Hiring it out seems the sensible thing to do.

My son helped me remove all the outside shutters, and new ones are due here today, which we will put up together...those on the south and west side were rather faded and worn looking, and replacing them is a fairly inexpensive face lift for a 34 year old house.

I am a good housekeeper on any given day, but especially like things cleaned and tidied up each spring.

Getting there.

This afternoon...a trip to the dermatology OP surgery center, where they will do a larger excision of the melanoma site, just as a precaution.

Yippee.

All is well, just checking in.

Maggie
Old 04-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #5852
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Somewhere, Doug was smiling his wry, pursed lip smile, and nodding his head, as he watched me mix these two together this morning.

Our most favorite morning coffee blend, a couple of bags of each which were picked up on sale somewhere a week or two ago.

I distinctly remember thinking at the time Ēlook, honey, theyíre both on sale!Ē

Trader Joeís is equally good, tho not always available.

We started doing half and half many years ago because someone...ahem, that would be me...needed to seriously cut down on her caffeine consumption, but didnít want to give up the coffee.

I had a can of pumpkin in my cupboard, left from fall bakings, and thought on this cool and rainy day that pumpkin bread would be a good thing.

If only I had remembered the baking powder and baking soda.

Rather like a steamed pudding in its fully baked consistency, I have no idea what it tastes like but it will be breakfast bread, regardless, as I canít bring myself to throw it away.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4FFEBE54-DAB2-4B6D-8AF5-041A5A457D57.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	339221   Click image for larger version

Name:	D85FA69C-1F1B-4ED9-A61E-C68DC54BE1E3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	339222