Old 02-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #5755
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Huntington.

One of these womenís grandparents lived on the same street as mine, so they may well have known each other.

Maggie

Old 02-20-2019, 07:34 AM   #5756
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I couldnít pass this up....a magnet for the back of the Interstate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ED870373-2A3B-43FD-B54C-BF9206A37C64.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	334021  

Old 02-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #5757
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I couldnít pass this up....a magnet for the back of the Interstate

I like it
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #5758
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The silhouette even looks a bit like Lily...nice find!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #5759
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It has been raining off and on since we got here, and all day yesterday , but tho we started with dense fog this morning it had lifted late morning and the sun is now shining brightly.

A fair amount of turnover here, as people leave because others reservations intrude, and bring with it new and interesting rigs.

A “Burro” tiny trailer on one side of me, a woman about my age in a Honda Pilot with one of those SUV tents I almost bought last year on the other, and what appears to be a homemade teardrop trailer.

Nice to be able to sit outside...I’m getting better at doing that ...enjoy the fresh air, and visit a bit with others.

It being 10 weeks since I’d had a trim, I asked for a recommendation from the girls in the office here for a good place on the island for a haircut, and was sent to Salon Isobe just a few blocks from here.

Walked over there this morning, owner and one woman show Carey cut a couple of inches off my hair, layered it up a bit, blew it dry and took a curling iron to it.

A bit more expensive than my girl at home, but she was very skilled and efficient and I am really pleased with the result.

It’s the shortest it has been in years, but needed a good cut and I feel all fresh and perky.

A rare selfie...no makeup, but my hair has been “done”.

We then got propane, stopped at the IGA for fresh produce, and had lunch outside at the North Beach Bar & Grill.

Yum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	261F54D7-237D-4A7A-B9DF-89BAA4583D2A.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	334104  
Old 02-22-2019, 03:23 AM   #5760
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
I haven’t posted this recipe in a couple of years, so thought I would...anyone can make this, and it will make you feel good to eat it, and to serve it to your friends and family.

Maggie's Dutch Oven Artisan Bread
(an adaptation of Jim Leahy's "No Knead Artisan Bread")

Basic Loaf Ingredients.....for a 12", 5 quart or larger DO:

3 cups unbleached white flour
3 teaspoons vital wheat gluten (Red Mill, top shelf of baking section in your grocery store)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups lukewarm tap water
Extra flour for shaping
Coarse cornmeal

Variations

Substitute 1 cup unbleached white flour for 1 cup whole wheat flour
Substitute 1 cup unbleached white flour for 1 cup rye flour, add 2 tablespoons caraway seed
Add 1/2 cup uncooked steel cut oats, cracked wheat, 7 grain cereal, etc., to flour mixture
Substitute 1 cup unbleached white flour for 1 cup 7 grain bread flour mix, reduce salt to 1 teaspoon
Add 1 cup dried cranberries, 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans and grated rind of 2 oranges to flour mixture
Add 1 cup raisins or chopped dried apple, 1 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to flour mixture
Whisk 1/2 cup cooked, cooled oatmeal into warm water before adding to flour mixture, reduce water by 1/4 cup

Optional add-ins:

2 tablespoons one of the following:

ground flax meal
coarse cornmeal
wheat germ
wheat bran
sesame seeds
(whatever you might like...dried herbs?....use your imagination)

Tools needed:

Large, 3-4 quart, bowl

Heavy whisk, beater or wooden spoon, rubber spatula
Elastic bowl cover or similar item
Waxed paper
Parchment paper

Step 1--mix: The day before baking, mix all dry ingredients together in bowl. Add warm water and stir/turn by hand until all flour is incorporated. Dough will be wet and sticky, rather the consistency of a biscuit dough. Scrape bowl down with spatula, cover with elastic bowl cover and set aside at room temperature 18-24 hours. Exact amount of time is not important. When ready, dough will have at least doubled in size and appear spongey.

Step 2--shape/rest: Prepare a sheet of parchment paper, cut generally to fit the inside bottom of your DO, sprinkling generously with coarse cornmeal, oats, wheat bran, etc. Set aside.

Sprinkle a few tablespoons of flour onto a sheet of waxed paper or other work surface. Scrape dough from bowl onto floured surface. Using the floured wax paper to begin, gently fold and press edges of dough toward center, about 6 times, shaping into a rough rectangle or square. Pinch edges together, brush any seriously excess flour from dough and place seam-side down onto prepared parchment paper.

Place parchment paper bundle back into your bowl. Cover with bowl cover or saran wrap and let rest about one hour.

Step 3--bake:

At home...about 45 minutes into resting period, put Dutch oven in your oven and set to 450 degrees.

15 minutes later, remove bowl cover, snip dough across top, 2-3 times, lift dough by parchment paper and set quickly into preheated DO.

Replace lid and bake covered for 30 minutes. Remove lid, slide parchment paper out from under dough, and bake 10-22 more minutes, til brown and crusty.

Cool thoroughly on wire rack before slicing

With charcoal...

About 30 minutes into resting period, start 45 charcoal briquettes. When nearly ready, put lid on DO and arrange briquettes, 33 on top and 12 beneath.

Let preheat/finish a few minutes, while you prepare your dough.

Remove bowl cover from dough. Snip top of dough 2-3 times with sharp scissors. Sprinkle with wheat bran, seeds of your choice, cornmeal, oats, etc., if desired. Lift dough by parchment paper, place all quickly into oven and replace lid.

Bake 30 minutes, rotating top and bottom..... opposite directions, 45 degrees each...... at the end of 15 and then 30 minutes.

***After the 15 minutes rotations, arrange charcoals on lid around outer edge for remainder of baking time.

***After the 30 minutes rotations, take a quick peek inside to check browning, and replace lid about 1/4" ajar, to allow steam to escape and crust to dry and crisp. Wind will affect how hot your top coals become, so watch carefully. If a very windy day, remove about 9 coals around at this point, if bread is becoming too dark.

Bake about 10 minutes more, lid ajar, about 40 minutes total. Bread will be browned and feel light and hollow when done.

Remove loaf carefully to wire rack and let cool before slicing. If you cut too soon, interior will be damp and sticky. Bread should be airy and porous, crust crisp and chewy.

Store when completely cool in plastic bag or other airtight container.

This is a very easy and very forgiving dough. If it seems too soft, too firm, or otherwise not just right....bake it anyway and try again next time. It will still be delicious.

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/...8-9d6475e73140
I usually read the forums without being signed in so post 5085 was on page 364.
Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #5761
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have been enjoying beach weather...rain and fog, interspersed with days of bright sunshine and perfect temps.

I’ve been cooking a bit, pulling together tax information, crocheting, reading, walking Lily a lot, visiting with neighbors and just generally enjoying being still.

Speaking of taxes, my meticulous record-and-receipt-keeping from HistoriCorps travel is a moot issue as the new standard deduction for one person is $12,000.

What was I thinking, that it would matter.

Even with medical expenses...larger than usual in 2018 ...and other donations, I don’t come close to surpassing even the old standard deduction.

A good thing, in the great scheme of things.

So, HistoriCorps work will be purposeful travel to beautiful places, minus any tax benefits.

And, that’s okay.

I used my Dutch Oven Dome to make pan bread this morning, again turning out a lighter, fluffier product than without, tho I don’t know that is important enough to me to pull the dome out and monkey with it every time for a single serving.

I’m going to have access later this year to larger griddles over propane burners, where a dozen scones, biscuits or whatever can be done at a time, and will try that out.

It’s still a fun option.

A heat diffuser comes with the dome, but to do this well with a burner I think I need a cast iron trivet to act as a spacer between the diffuser and a small pan with no feet.

If I get the heat much above its lowest point, the bottom (seen here) gets too brown before the item has cooked thru.

I flipped this over briefly to brown the top a bit, but am going to try a trivet/spacer next time.

Going to make a fried egg sandwich for brunch with this...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	499C0A76-D5DB-4DFF-8595-1FD1FAE0F1DF.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	334362  
Old 02-25-2019, 08:31 AM   #5762
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Split open...perfectly beautiful bread.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7A9F8A65-D2F6-43D3-A561-B7390CA6B5FA.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	334365  
Old 02-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #5763
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Split open...perfectly beautiful bread.
You've got your own "nooks and crannies". Looks delicious!

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #5764
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi, Al!

This is a really excellent book.

Sad, and funny, and sad.

https://www.amazon.com/Descendants-N...scendants+book

Apparently made into a movie years ago, George Clooney playing the lead character....I will have to find it in Netflix when I get home.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	44A7D0E6-AA34-49B0-970B-FBE684B7D743.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	334429  
Old 02-26-2019, 01:34 PM   #5765
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The city manager for Tybee Island came around the campground in a golf cart today, talking to people, getting some feedback.

My first thought was “how nice”, and my second was “I can tell him we dog loving campers would like to take them onto the beach!”

So, I did.

We had a nice chat, he used to live in Monmouth, Il, and he said he hears the dog issue all the time. He promises to work on them being allowed in a specific section of the beach, or only during certain times.

Never hurts to ask.

Drove the Interstate onto the next island this morning to use their very nice car wash, a noticeable crust of sand, dirt, and that yellow stuff that comes off these trees all over it.

We’ve had rain, but not enough of a downpour to clean things off...but, it’s clean now.

Have met the nicest people this trip, every place I have stayed more than a night...one of the real benefits of being still.

Cooking teriyaki chicken on my little grill...real food, cooked by me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	320E8089-F4A6-4577-8282-776FF4C69DB6.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	334504  
Old 02-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #5766
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Looks yummy!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #5767
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had company yesterday, my cousin from Maine and her husband, on their annual trek to southern Florida to “get warm“ for a few days.

A few years older than me, her mother was one of my favorite people in the world, one of those exceptionally generous hearts that showered all living things within reach with her beaming smile and absolute, unconditional love.

A few hours catching up, sandwiches and a walk shared, they were on their way.

We headed into beautiful South Carolina this morning for a few days at Hunting Island SP, before arriving at our ultimate winter destination...Edisto.

Hunting Island took a hard hit from the Hurricane a few years back, and still looks like...well, like it’s been hit by a hurricane.

Much fewer trees and cover than before, but glad to see it up and running as I recall there was talk of the campground not re-opening at all.

Lily has been walked and is down for her nap...time for tea.

I didn’t need a new mug, but this one has turtles on it, symbols of both Tybee and Edisto, and such pretty colors.

I had to have it.

I love the ritual of tea...making it, pausing and sitting a few minutes to enjoy it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	36D0F7D3-9F38-46FA-A240-CEA9B421B235.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	334623  
Old 03-01-2019, 07:48 AM   #5768
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
I agree on tea...