Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2024, 05:35 PM   #8161
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are home as of mid afternoon today, spending Thursday night at a WalMart in north Georgia and last night at a state park campground west of Nashville…I was hoping for Harpeth River Bridge, that lovely little COE campground, but it is still closed for the winter.

My new coach battery that was stressed a bit with the inverter issues last year seems to be doing fine, holding a charge well when without electricity overnight, and that is a relief.

I emptied my tanks this morning and opened the low point drains to get all the water out, but don’t think I’m going to need to rewinterize as temps are mild for the foreseeable future. I have 3 gallons of the pink stuff, but unless something changes am going to store it til next year.

Driving thru Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky was lovely, as much is blooming along the roads and there were lots of log cabins, old courthouses and beautiful old homes to look at.

Small town America.

Drove past the Chickamauga battlefield and thru the Franklin battlefield yesterday, both of which have historical significance for my family. Doug and I visited both of those years ago, and I may go back.

Got the rig unloaded today and will clean/do laundry tomorrow. Just can’t face any more of it today.

I’ve had a soak in the tub and am going to read for as long as I can keep my eyes open.

We are tired, needless to say, and Lily, especially, as she does not get her naps when we are driving.

She is crashed on the floor next to me, and will be a slug tomorrow while I pull the little house together.

Good to go, always good to come home.

Maggie
Old 03-25-2024, 01:05 PM   #8162
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
All the laundry has been done up, everything unpacked/put away and the Interstate is in Jon’s hands at Don Owen in Bloomington.

Lily and I are still recovering from the trip home and me also from the level of activity that is returning home from a trip.

Made a run to the grocery stores this morning, and am going to try a Pioneer Woman recipe tomorrow for teriyaki ribs in the crockpot…using fresh garlic and fresh ginger.

This article in The Guardian this morning, about the final days of a beloved rescue pup who was a wonderful family pet but could not tolerate other dogs.

If you don’t care to read it, a quick synopsis: knowing they were going to have to put him down, the family arranged a sort of send off/celebration of his life at a local pet store, where he got to roam when other dogs were not there, and was given lots of special treats and love from the staff.

He so enjoyed himself he didn’t want to get back in the car.

Might be an idea for when Lily gets to that point.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...im-so-much-joy

Maggie
Old 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM   #8163
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Made The Pioneer Woman’s teriyaki ribs today, and they are delicious.

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food...i-ribs-recipe/

I do not have a 4 quart slow cooker these days, so wrapped the whole mess tightly in heavy duty foil and baked it in a baking dish in the oven at 250 degrees for 5 1/2 hours.

They were falling apart done, and the teriyaki sauce just took a few minutes to make.

Something different, would be delicious grilled after the slow cooker step, and would go well with baked potatoes or sesame noodles.

Jon from Don Owen called me late yesterday to advise that the red battery indicator light on my dash when first running in the morning was because my alternator was not charging... at all.

I had not had this checked over the last couple of weeks it has been on, knowing the battery was only 2 years old, therefore thinking it was something simple…knowing nothing about alternators, of course.

Lucky for me I did not find myself dead in the water someplace, which happened to my daughter some years ago on an expressway out east.

Denial is not a river in Egypt, I told myself. Sigh.

He recommended rather than replacing it to having it rebuilt at a local place they use, which also services my generator, so they will handle all of that and get it reinstalled for me.

Otherwise, he is going over it with a fine toothed comb and everything looks good.

Thank you, Jon.

A few of these little shampoo bars arrived UPS today, my last one purchased several years ago almost gone.

If you’ve never been on this website, or tried these shampoo bars, they are wonderful particularly when traveling, being lightweight and taking up very little space.

https://www.lush.com/us/en_us/c/shampoo-bars

They are expensive, yes, but take just a few swipes over wet hair to lather up and so last a very long time.

They smell heavenly, and are made for different types of hair needs.

This one, my favorite, is called “Jason and the Argan Oil”.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7FBCC518-DD62-4292-9520-3E6EF5F74BDC.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	442167  
Old 03-28-2024, 10:45 AM   #8164
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I read something yesterday which referred to “the wish being father to the thought”, which I thought was a delightful turn of phrase but completely unfamiliar to me, so I had to google it.

It essentially means believing something because you want it to be true.

The old “just because you wish it doesn’t make it so”, “if wishes were horses, beggars would ride”, “spit in one hand, wish in the other, see which one you get the most in”, etc.

Interesting.

Still getting all the just-home choring done…the house is pretty much back in order, got my hair cut yesterday, and finally got a loaf of bread started yesterday and baked this morning.

Homemade bread…they don’t call it the staff of life for nothing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	97EE60A6-A97A-4C2E-AFE2-BF4E3CF35912.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	442252  
Old 03-29-2024, 05:11 AM   #8165
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This article in the Washington Post yesterday, about how writing a letter to your future self about how you managed a current difficult time, or from your imaginary future self to your present self about how to cope…improved current well being.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/welln...nt-well-being/

The paywall may prevent reading, but this is the gist of it…

“during the early days of the pandemic, adults who were randomly assigned to write letters to their future selves or from their future selves to their current selves experienced an immediate reduction in negative emotions and an increase in positive ones, compared with those who focused only on the present.”

Journaling, of a sort, tasking yourself with putting in writing a perspective on managing whatever is currently tilting your world.

A way to settle one’s mind and focus on getting thru…always important.

Maggie
Old 03-30-2024, 08:25 AM   #8166
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are having beautiful weather, so I have begun pulling a few weeds and yard cleanup at the little house…my to-do list is very long.

One of the grands asked me to make Frog Eye Salad for Easter brunch at their house, so I am, of course, obliging, and have begun that process.

A two day affair, an old fashioned recipe from a cookbook Doug’s mother gave me 30 or so years ago.

My kids and the grands have always loved this, as has anyone I have ever fed it to, the littles especially loving the name.

You want to cook the little pastas thoroughly, NOT al dente, or they will not absorb the cooked dressing properly.

In the morning, before I go to watch Young Wizard play the cello at church, I am going to make another Pioneer Woman recipe…this one for homemade pop tarts.

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food...ade-pop-tarts/

They look kind of fun, and I think will be well received…I have seedless raspberry jam for the filling, and will just do a drizzle of frosting on them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C3708537-EBED-4166-A65F-3A4408C3BB33.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	442290  
Old 04-02-2024, 05:07 AM   #8167
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The homemade pop-tarts came out fine, and were relatively easy to make, but were mostly greeted with a “meh” response.

More like a desert than a breakfast/brunch food, and I don’t think I’ll be making them again.

I’ve been reading “A Rip Through Time”, by Kelley Armstrong, the last couple of evenings, and it is very good.

https://www.amazon.com/Rip-Through-T...s=books&sr=1-1

I’m going to need to read the rest of this series, about a modern day police detective who finds herself transported back in time 150 years.

I’m at a point in it where I have to make myself put it down and go to sleep.

Maggie
Old 04-04-2024, 02:22 PM   #8168
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After some lovely, spring-like weather, we are back to mild winter with some snow flurries and colder temps, but should be back to spring early next week.

I still have lots of firewood, so while still heavily into return home chores I am, in between, relishing this glass-fronted chunk of cast iron on its hearth in my living room…one of the great loves of my life.

I bought on Nook yesterday the other two books of the “Rip in Time” series, as I’d finished the first, enjoyed it every much, and need to know what happens to the time traveling police detective.

Very good.

Got another Covid booster today, as it was there, I was eligible, and can I really do too much preventative care at this point in my life???

I think not.

So, the nice young tech who has given me several boosters responded to my question about his sweatshirt with a brief story about something he is dealing with at his college.

It’s my grandmotherly persona, I think, encouraging some to unload, and that’s okay.

The specifics don’t matter, but I told him that throughout his life he will come across people charged with tremendous responsibility who don’t take it seriously, and this experience may prepare him for dealing with similar problems in his life.

I encouraged him to think about that, which may help with perspective, he nodded and thanked me.

After I got home, I wished I had told him of the WAPO article I linked here a week or two ago… about the benefit of writing a letter to your future self about how you handled a current problem or, conversely, from your future self advising your younger self how to handle the current whatever.

One of the best, simplest suggestions I have ever heard, and tho I haven’t had an opportunity to use this I believe it could be very helpful…stepping back and out of the emotionality, looking at a situation as if you were not a current participant.

I love it, and just feel it could be very calming.

So, I called the pharmacy back, quickly relayed this to him, and he seemed to very much appreciate the suggestion.

What can it hurt, really, and it may help him.

I’m glad I took a moment to call him.

Small acts of kindness can change the world, I believe.

Do your part, is my thought.

Maggie
Old 04-06-2024, 05:57 AM   #8169
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Unable to access my Visa account the other day, I had a moment of panic that it had been hacked, so called their customer service.

I soon learned that my aging IPad mini will no longer accept software updates, and that has been the case for quite some time, which probably explains a lot of the sluggishness I have noted lately but not taken the time to actively problem solve.

So, yesterday morning after Friday choring and walking Lily, I got to Best Buy just as they were opening and left a mere 30 minutes later with a new one.

I bought one with an Open Box discount and they gave a $50 store discount for the old one, so at a good price, which is always appreciated.

Many people buy the minis and then find they are too small for what they need, I was told, when their small and compact nature is exactly what I want.

I was delighted, and that the purchase/transfer of settings, etc., which used to take a couple of hours was so quick.

So, we’re set for some years, I would hope.

Going to have sunshine at least for this morning, so am going to get out and work on the yard and beds around the house while I can.

It needs to be done.

Lily has also turned into something of an old, cold person…this being her favorite spot after she comes in from the chilly outside first thing in the morning, the chair there my spot in what used to be my dining area for the first cup of coffee, check the emails and news, etc.

She will settle by this space heater until I turn on the tv news for my second cup of coffee in the living room.

Near her mama, and basking in the warmth.

Sweet Lily.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	442522  
Old 04-10-2024, 10:32 AM   #8170
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have had a couple of decent, dry days so have been crossing things off the outdoor to-do list and enjoying the satisfaction of the near-instant gratification that comes from completing chores.

Been raking, weeding, feeding, trimming, adding topsoil to depressions, a little touch up painting on the trim…etc.

Lots of little things needing tended to with even a small house in the spring.

And always lots of appointments after I return home from a trip…doctors, dentist, guys giving estimates on work needing done…in this case the rear door /frame to my garage, which is original to the little house 39 years ago.

West facing, so it gets a lot of sun, and the entire frame simply needs replaced.

Have had plenty to keep me busy, but tomorrow it will be cold and rainy, so we will enjoy one of the last fires of the season and mostly hunker down.

A Walt Longmire I had not yet read, “The Dark Horse”, appeared in my BookBub offerings last Friday, and I don’t ever pass these up.

I usually make myself finish my current read, then Walt is next…he doesn't ever wait for long in my library, and I started this one a couple of evenings ago.

Like greeting old friends, reading about Walt, Vic, Henry, et al, solving whatever has happened in or near Absaroka County, Wyoming, and I want to then go find Powder River or wherever they happen to be scouting out clues, just to set my feet there.

Craig Johnson is such an exceptional storyteller, and his books always a comfortable place to land.

Nothing much going on here, just touching base.

Maggie
Old 04-14-2024, 09:11 AM   #8171
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Finished “The Dark Horse”, which I really enjoyed and, sadly, have no more Longmire novels waiting to be read.

Continuing to work on spring cleaning the little house, as well as outdoor chores, picked up some cedar mulch a few days ago and will get that down soon.

As I schlep those bags and drag things around in my Gorilla Cart, I remind myself good for my aging bones.

The time will come when I will have to hire it all out, but I ain’t there yet.

Predicted highs in the mid 80’s today, and continued warm for several days before temps drop by about half and we have a chance of frost next weekend.

Too soon to buy a lovely hanging basket for my front porch, it is clear, and I am hoping that closing up the house and running the ceiling fan will keep me from having to turn on my AC over the next few days.

Beginning to tentatively plan a little jaunt to Iowa and Missouri, also to sketch out western summer travel…going to go back to some favorite areas and spots I have not been to in years.

Updating my “home book” with recent vehicle maintenance…which I keep at the house and carry when traveling, for hard copies of phone numbers and other important information, and so I don’t have to dig thru records to know when things were last done…I noticed the alternator in the Interstate was rebuilt in September 2022, then apparently failed again and was rebuilt a couple of weeks ago.

Going to call Don Owen tomorrow, point this out to them, and discuss whether it is time just to preemptively replace the alternator with a new one.

If any reader has pearls of wisdom on this issue, please feel free to share them.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2024, 11:09 AM   #8172
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So, I had a conversation with Jon at Don Owen this morning about the alternator in the Interstate.

There are apparently different components to an alternator, any of which could cause it to fail, and a different component in September 2022 could have caused failure from that which caused failure in March of 2024.

Hmmm, add that to my ever-increasing bank of knowledge about the workings of the Interstate, and note to self that the battery indicator light coming on can indicate battery issues or alternator issues.

He doesn’t recommend preemptively replacing the entire alternator, so I’m going to trust his judgement, and he will check all of that as part of the road check I have done prior to extended travel, bless his little sweet heart.

Got my six bags of mulch spread early this morning, and need to go get more.

I almost cannot lift those.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2024, 12:21 PM   #8173
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
So, I had a conversation with Jon at Don Owen this morning about the alternator in the Interstate.

There are apparently different components to an alternator, any of which could cause it to fail, and a different component in September 2022 could have caused failure from that which caused failure in March of 2024.

Hmmm, add that to my ever-increasing bank of knowledge about the workings of the Interstate, and note to self that the battery indicator light coming on can indicate battery issues or alternator issues.

He doesn’t recommend preemptively replacing the entire alternator, so I’m going to trust his judgement, and he will check all of that as part of the road check I have done prior to extended travel, bless his little sweet heart.

Got my six bags of mulch spread early this morning, and need to go get more.

I almost cannot lift those.

Maggie
Maggie,

I always enjoy reading about your trips and especially your winter trip to the south. One day I intend to make it to Edisto beach and see it for myself. I don’t know why I haven’t gone there already.

I thought I’d comment on the alternation situation. Many years ago, more than 30, I worked for an ex brother-in-law in his very specialized auto repair business, and learned quite a bit about repairs. We almost always took starters and alternators to a specialty repair place to have them rebuilt. Then Bosch started offering factory rebuilt units, with warranties, that weren’t much more than having them totally rebuilt. It’s true than there are different things that can go wrong within either type of unit, but typically it’s the bearing that give out on an alternator. Considering the limited miles you put on your MH during a year and a half I would not expect it to go out so soon. There are vehicles that seem to be particularly hard on alternators. Sometimes it’s a defective model of alternator and sometimes it’s other things that are causing the alternator to fail. You should be able to find out by searching the forums if your MH engine is known for frequent alternator failures. Perhaps it is, and there is a solution. If not, it becomes a little more complicated to determine the problem. Because of course it would indicate that something else is causing the alternator to fail. Even if you go forward and have the alternator rebuilt I would do a little searching in the forums. After all this is the benefit of collecting all this information in one location.

Good luck,
Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 12:29 PM   #8174
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you for that information, Carol, and it has now been rebuilt twice…9/22 & 3/24.

I was thinking it was a lot, and Jon was going to try to find out what the issue was with each rebuild.

He did explain that there are different components, so failures can occur within each of those.

This is an ‘06 chassis, so the alternator may have been built in 2005 or even earlier.

He also said a bad battery can draw down an alternator, and a bad alternator a battery, but as of last month the battery seemed good.

I have not read here of alternator issues with Sprinter vans, and would like to think that with 16 years of ownership I would have some idea if that was the case…as with the turbo chargers we have all had to replace, sometimes multiple times.

But, I will look, and thanks.

Maggie
Old 04-17-2024, 04:26 PM   #8175
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It has been a bit of a week here at the little house, and it is only Wednesday.

Yesterday morning I realized that my shiny new IPad was WiFi only, which I didn’t even know was a thing.

This being fine when I am at home, not so much when I am traveling, when I rely on it heavily and my Verizon plan gives me unlimited data on it for only $20 a month.

To the Verizon store as they opened, where I wrongly thought I only needed a SIM card, home to get the box, receipt, et al for the new IPad, on to BestBuy where I politely but firmly insisted on speaking with a Manager.

Explained I had been sold something I did not want, no information was given that it was wifi only, and no, she agreed, I did not look like a tech savvy youngster who would have known what I bought was different than what I had traded in.

Left about an hour later with an IPad that has WiFi and cellular, they threw in for free the $50 glass screensaver from OtterBox that could not be transferred to the new device.

Back to Verizon, got the SIM card installed and I was good to go.

The OtterBox I bought last week did not, of course, fit the new device.

Called them when I got home, they shipped off a new one and emailed instructions for returning the one they sent last week, and I will be refunded.

And so I went to the UPS store this morning to print out the label and ship that off, then back to BestBuy to drop off the cord and charger for the one returned yesterday.

I thought about a glass of something alcoholic to superficially settle my life a bit, but did not imbibe.

OtterBox has got some of the best customer service I have ever encountered…not only a lifetime warranty on their products, but a little bit ago I got this email from Cara at their customer service line.

“I enjoyed getting to chat with you when you called today, and loved hearing how you trust OtterBox for all your devices. We have sent you a gift to say thanks for being such a great OtterBox customer, so be watching for that to arrive! I hope you have a wonderful day!”

I mean, how sweet is that???

Whatever they send, it is above and beyond my replacement cover that arrives 20% discounted and via free shipping tomorrow.

They could give lessons in customer service to vendors who don’t do nearly so well.

And so, two rather hectic days ended with this lovely, sweet note, and I wanted to share it.

I picked up more mulch yesterday morning before I went to the Verizon store and all that, which took til almost noon, and will get that down tomorrow.

I am deep in the evenings into Dean Koontz’s “The Silent Corner”, and his novels always beg the question “what kind of mind writes this stuff???”

It is very good, but, as always, a story line that seems right out of an old Twilight Zone.

Anyway, after needing the AC a bit the other day, it has cooled down a lot and a fire will be needed at least over the weekend.

Good temps for spreading mulch and other outdoor chores.

Maggie
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM   #8176
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Yesterday morning I realized that my shiny new IPad was WiFi only, which I didn’t even know was a thing.

I rely on it heavily and my Verizon plan gives me unlimited data on it for only $20 a month.

Explained I had been sold something I did not want, no information was given that it was wifi only, and no, she agreed, I did not look like a tech savvy youngster who would have known what I bought was different than what I had traded in.

OtterBox has got some of the best customer service I have ever encountered…not only a lifetime warranty on their products, but a little bit ago I got this email from Cara at their customer service line.

“I enjoyed getting to chat with you when you called today, and loved hearing how you trust OtterBox for all your devices. We have sent you a gift to say thanks for being such a great OtterBox customer, so be watching for that to arrive! I hope you have a wonderful day!”

I mean, how sweet is that???

Whatever they send, it is above and beyond my replacement cover that arrives 20% discounted and via free shipping tomorrow.

They could give lessons in customer service to vendors who don’t do nearly so well.

I am deep in the evenings into Dean Koontz’s “The Silent Corner”, and his novels always beg the question “what kind of mind writes this stuff???”

It is very good, but, as always, a story line that seems right out of an old Twilight Zone.
Maggie,

With all the travel you do, I suppose having an iPad directly connected to Verizon makes sense. I simply use my phone as a personal Hotspot for my iPad when I’m not hooked up to Wi-Fi. The great thing is that it automatically connects and all I have to do is remember to disconnect when I’m not actively using it online. Otherwise I can blow through a good amount of data. Not a problem on my phone, only when connected to the iPad. This certainly makes me feel safer than connecting to a public wifi system.

I completely agree about Otterbox. They couldn’t have made much money on me or my husband but they always come through covering whatever has broken, scratched, or become unusable. With the purchase of our first iPhones we bought the most protective case, which at the time was the Defender. I can’t tell you how many times I dropped my phone and it never broke in that case. But they have replaced screen covers that were scratched, the outer rubber case because of rips, and the hard case when they have cracked. The last time I called they even sent me a pretty one despite the policy calling for a replacement in the same color. I happen to tell the employee that when I bought the first case at Sam’s, the available colors were limited to black and gray. Somehow she got approval to send me one in purple. What a sweet thing to do. The only time we’ve bought new cases were when the phones were got were a different size, and they didn’t fit the original case.

I also agree about Dean Koontz. The writing is excellent but the twists and turns in his stories do make one wonder about the mind that dreams it all up.

I too have some outdoor chores to accomplish in the yard and garden before the temperature become too hot. We had a real deluge here a week ago and I’m waiting for the water to receded in the lake behind my house so I can rescue my dock and Jon boat. But the 9 inches of rain does make it easier to pull weeds and dig up unwanted plants.

Take care,

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM   #8177
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi, Carol.

I try not to use my iPhone as a hotspot except for brief periods when I am in a remote area and it is hooked up to the WeBoost, because this really eats up my limited data.

With unlimited data on the IPad, I use it for almost everything, including to watch the news and an occasional movie.

It is so much more easy to manage than the phone.

I love my IPad.

Am watching for the FedEx truck, which will be bringing my new OtterBox today.

Chipping away at spring chores, I had the AC serviced this morning…a Trane, that was installed in 1996, after living here the first 11 years without central AC.

The guy here commented on what good shape it was in, and how the old TV ads that hailed the longevity of a Trane were talking about the model that is mine.

Getting hard to get parts for this model, he said, tho mine has never needed parts and when it starts to go I will probably just replace it.

The guy who sold this to me told me at the time to buy a larger one that was needed for the little house, which I did, and it was a good decision.

Maggie
Old Today, 11:31 AM   #8178
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Saw my specialist here at home this morning, and I continue to be “in remission”.

Labs will continue monthly, but I don’t need to see him again until October, and so am delighted.

Get up, keep going, do what you need to do, wait for life to level out.

We are headed into a cool weekend, where I will get more mulch down and enjoy some of the last few fires of the season.

Maggie

« No Game Changer | Top | - »