Old 01-30-2019, 09:16 PM   #5713
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Maggie

Glad you are far enough south where it is not so cold.

I havenít been getting notifications lately for posts to this thread, but hopefully this post will fix that.

Safe Travels, Dan

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:21 AM   #5714
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi, Dan!

If you subscribe to a thread, you get notification for a new posting but until you go in and read it you donít get more...just the way it is set up here.

It is cold enough, but Iím glad to be south of the frigid temps at home.

Maggie

Old 01-31-2019, 07:42 AM   #5715
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
We drove down La1 today, crossing the Big River at St. Francisville...last stop before my cousinís was this historic antebellum home, which my great-great-great-grandparents built over 200 years ago.

Maggie

That is a beautiful home and property. My grandfather turned a shack (on property overlooking the Thornapple River by Grand Rapids, Mi) into a nice home since he was a bricklayer/builder. I drove past it after attending a family funeral some years ago and to my horror, the home was gone! It had been bull dozed and the large lot with the beautiful view of the river was split into two lots, for sale for the tidy sum of $1.1 million. I am sure it brought tears to my grandparents eyes. I hope your familyís home doesnít suffer a similar fate.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:53 AM   #5716
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
We drove down La1 today, crossing the Big River at St. Francisville...last stop before my cousinís was this historic antebellum home, which my great-great-great-grandparents built over 200 years ago.
Hi Maggie,

My old stomping grounds. I was born in Shreveport, and lived there and in Monroe and Alexandria. Drove LA1 many times. Your ancestral home looks fantastic! Enjoy the warmth!

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:46 AM   #5717
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi, Al!

This home passed out of our family during the Great Depression, was then owned by the same family for the next 100 years or so, then was up for sale a few years back and was bought by someone in NOLA, per my cousin.

I did get inside this home when it was for sale, and stood in my sock feet on the original floorboards...a near spiritual experience.

My great grandmother and great-great grandfather were born in that house, and the cemetery on the hill behind the house holds those that built it, along with many other ancestors.

I didnít see any signs of life, and didnít go up on the porch yesterday, so donít know whether the new owners are rehabbing the inside or what their plans are.

I wanted to look in the windows, but restrained myself.

I hope it is preserved, but it is out of the familyís hands at this point.

Getting the Interstate serviced and tires rotated this morning...

Maggie
Old 02-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #5718
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had a great visit with my cousin and his wife, spent several nights working our way across the Gulf and had a coffee meet-up/visit with Julie/BassCan in Mobile this morning.

2 of our nights were at Davis Bayou, which was extraordinarily friendly, and we especially enjoyed the newly retired couple in the brand-new Travato next to us.

Took advantage of the Blue Beacon in Hammond, La, on our way south, which got the little buggy all shiny and sparkling clean.

Now settled into a state park in Florida for the night, and will continue our slow procession eastward tomorrow.

No dogs allowed on the beaches in Florida, and as we passed thru Gulf Shores I noted they are not only prohibited on the beach but also cannot be left in cars.

We are only passing through...they are allowed at Edisto, a very dog friendly area.

Maggie
Old 02-05-2019, 06:45 AM   #5719
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
These kinds of incidents are why middle America, flat-lander me is afraid when I travel to hike out into areas inhabited by large and toothy beasts such as mountain lions and bears.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/05/69152..._campaign=news

It is not an irrational fear, it is a legitimate fear from one only accustomed to rather sweet and endearing deer, squirrels, rabbits, and the occasional possum or raccoon.

Them I can handle, them I am not afraid of.

This hiker turned and killed his attacker.

I, on the other hand, am more likely to shriek and flail wildly, Lily doing her best to protect us both but likely to succumb to said large and toothy beast.

We are not experienced in the ways of such animals, and I do not need to stride fearlessly into all things.

I rest my case.

Maggie
Old 02-05-2019, 07:44 AM   #5720
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Even though I've been out in nature all of my life, I get that same feeling when I go into brown bear country, or when I swim in deep water of the ocean.
Thinking I could be dinner for some animal is a little unsettling.

My wife and I have been face to face with a black bear mom and cub in a campground in the mountains, literally a few feet away. I did not get that "I'm dinner" feeling, but my heart rate increased a bit. They continued slowly down their path, while we moved quickly in the opposite direction.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:02 AM   #5721
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, I donít like being in any water where I canít see whatís beneath me, either.

Having been raised in the land of cement ponds.

Maggie
Old 02-05-2019, 02:33 PM   #5722
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Until today, we have come across little that reminds me that there was a massive hurricane that hit the gulf states a few months back...until approaching and coming thru Panama City.

Doug would say it looks like Baghdad after the bombing.

Roads are cleared, and there is lots of traffic, but this area was hit hard and is obviously still deep in the throes of recovery.

Piles of debris, trees snapped in half, roofs off buildings, work vehicles everywhere.

Hard to see what the forces of nature have wrought, and I who have never been thru anything like this cannot imagine what the residents here are dealing with.

I will spend some money, and be grateful for what I have.

We are in a take-what-you-find spot for tonight, some of the state parks on the water still closed, others full, but a number of private RV resorts seem up and fully running.

Life.

Maggie
Old 02-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #5723
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Maggie, I have driven away from a couple of iffy looking campgrounds, but my worst experience ever was at a place which had changed owners and gone horribly downhill in only a few years. It had a big party house,/dance hall/bar on tje.main road and the new owners apparently decided that was their true cash cow, and the campground was allowed to wither.

I pulled in as dusk was turning to dark and there was no guide in a golf cart and no lighting. After 10 minutes of trying to find a spot I pulled up to something that looked likely, and slid out of the door with a flashlight to see if there was a power or water post. I landed on a piece of rotting plywood that split or moved and the horrible smell of sewer surrounded me. I felt myself sinking, but somehow scrambled back up onto the running board. I had almost l gone into an access hole that was at least 10 inches in diameter... the steel cover - gone. The plywood - had obviously been there for months. Thinking about a broken ankle, and being trapped in that!? Good way to get a mid-calf amputation if you were lucky. As it was I went back to the office and demanded that they give me back my check. I tried to convince the manager to at least stack up a bunch of concrete blocks or something to protect the campground from a huge lawsuit, but could see only complete indifference. Drove another 20 miles and overnighted at Cracker Barrel and the next day found a great spot only 5 miles from the original place. The owners there said their campground had grown by leaps and bounds within months of the change in ownership. I did call the local health department and the sheriff's office to report the problems. Both acknowledged they had heard it all, and worse for over 2 years. Somewhat cynically, the locals told me that bribery was an easy way to make complaints go away in that county. I sent an email to the three network TV stations and three local newspapers, and yet 18 months later that place is still open, though it seems to be permanent residents only. God knows most of them probably have rigs that have sat too long to be towable, and whose owners are too poor to go elsewhere. It apparently takes less than six months for a really nice place to turn into a s***hole of the universe. Oh, and they STILL had almost 5 star reviews before I wrote mine.

Resolution. If traveling without reservations, get into a spot by 4 PM at the latest.

Still, a mountain lion or bear could be worse. Be happy, be safe.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #5724
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Paula, and thank you.

Maggie
Old 02-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #5725
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Left the coast and have headed inland a bit, where it is warmer but not as humid, so that is good for me.

I have had to run my furnace a few nights this trip, and put the awning out for the first time today, so I know both are in good working order. Whew.

The awning is spotless, to the point of looking brand new, making me wonder if it is new or has just not been used.

Thought I would spend a few nights in an Appalichicola NF campground earlier this week, but the only one I found open looked to be a homeless encampment and my shiny little rig would have been more than a little out of place.

There are lots and lots of people living in vehicles down here, which is sad but a sign of the times.

I canít help them all.

We are going to stay here for at least a few days, which will make Miss Lily a very happy girl, having lucked onto this first come/first serve site just as the previous camper left.

She is such a good little traveling companion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54EA5AE2-592C-4DFB-8599-63FC4FB2DA46.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	540.3 KB
ID:	333095  
Old 02-09-2019, 05:25 AM   #5726
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have read several of John D. MacDonaldís ďTravis McGeeĒ series this trip and, like with the Walt Longmire books, they are like visiting with a friend so long in harness that they are like comfy slippers you just slip on.

Tho a bit rough around the edges, Travis is smart, resourceful, clever, funny, kind, principled, and eminently lovable.

He always solves the problem at hand...and always gets the girl.

These books are full of stated insights into human behavior, and many witty takes on common occurrences.

I enjoy and appreciate them, and excitedly purchase each one that pops up in my BookBub offerings, stashing them away in my Nook app to be read at my leisure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_McGee

http://jdmhomepage.org/jdm-stuff/quotations/

This quotation has to do with armadillos...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A47F97FE-A858-4612-BEEF-14838D203452.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	333192