Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2024, 06:35 AM   #8141
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
When you say Edisto, is that Edisto Beach State Park. If so, it’s been awhile since I stayed there. Very beautiful and very hard to get reservations. If I remember correctly, they have two camping sections. One is right near the beach, and another one is slightly off the beach.

I was always envious of those sites where you could pitch a tent right there near the beach and palm trees but my tent camping days are over.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 07:39 AM   #8142
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, it’s the State Park, and the beach campground.

Hard to get reservations, and I have already (optimistically) made reservations for 2025.

It’s a beautiful spot, my favorite site here just about 10 seconds from the beach, and one of the handful of small sites against the dunes for we littles.

There are big rigs here, too, so room for everyone.

We are headed out for our third walk and second trip to the beach of the day.

Maggie
Old 03-05-2024, 05:32 AM   #8143
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I finished this book the other night, “The Wilderness Way”, by Anne Madden, and it was very good.

https://www.amazon.com/Wilderness-Wa.../dp/B0BRMCCJVQ

Set in County Donegal, Ireland, after the potato famine and during our Civil War, when young Irish men facing the poorhouse emigrated and served as Union and Confederate soldiers.

Making a salary to send home to impoverished family back in Ireland.

Based on real people and real events, meticulously researched and full of detail, it is another reminder that most of us don’t know…and will never know…real hardship.

My great-great-grandfather on my mothers side served only briefly in the Civil War, purchasing a replacement Irishman in New Orleans to fight in his stead.

It’s what many of any means did back then, not out of cowardice but staying behind to manage the land and protect/care for his family.

A very good book…a window into history, as all good historical fiction is.

We were on the beach three times yesterday, altho one is never really off the beach here, from my perspective, as it is all sand, all the time, and you can hear the surf at all times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87E84BCB-BED9-44F5-9B2D-A9027939E7AE.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	441631  
Old 03-05-2024, 08:00 AM   #8144
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Camp Scone

1/2 cup add-water biscuit mix
1 teaspoon sugar
Grated rind of one orange
About 2 tablespoons water or orange juice
Handful of dried cranberries

Stir together, adding cranberries after liquid has been incorporated to prevent them from being coated with flour.

Scrape into a small skillet, cover with lid and bake over medium low heat until both sides are browned and scone is done.

Delicious!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	82AE0BAA-DC77-4A98-883A-7305C211AC88.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	441640  
Old 03-05-2024, 08:51 AM   #8145
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Which always beg the question as to why dog owners must pick up after their pets but horse owners do not??

Horse poop isn't nearly as sticky or nearly as stinky as dog poop. Much easier to get off your shoes so you don't track it inside, and essentially made of grass and grain. Dogs have anal glands that intentionally add stink to their poop. I guess God had a reason for that, but it escapes me.
Reminds me of the old story of a Ringling Brothers employee who's job it was to follow the circus elephants and clean up with a shovel.
He was asked why he didn't quit for a better job, and he replied "What? and give up Show Business?"
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 09:08 AM   #8146
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Falls under the category of “it’s a dirty job, but somebody’s gotta do it”.

I have to admit that by day 3 the dozen or so piles of horse manure left on Sunday had fairly well become part of the ground they were on, the most visible bits left being straw or hay???

Not a biggie, but interesting, and I would imagine that when that campground is full the horses and their owners stay in an area not used by non-horse people.

Maybe in the area with the 20 wooden horse stalls, which would confine their leavings and require owners to promptly clean up after their animals.

A little bit of local charm.

Maggie
Old 03-05-2024, 10:45 AM   #8147
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are always lots of cardinals at this, my favorite site at Edisto, and if I’m not actually seeing them I hear them singing.

A bit ago, sitting outside with Lily, I saw three male cardinals and a pair of what I thought were immature cardinals.

But, they were a pair of House Finch.

If I have ever seen these before, I don’t recall, but they were lovely.

(Not my photo)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5245F9C1-09E1-4941-90AE-E6C567EA7957.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	565.5 KB
ID:	441649  
Old 03-08-2024, 07:38 AM   #8148
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have been reading “The Next Ship Home: a Novel of Ellis Island”, by Heather Webb, the last couple of evenings, and it is very good.

https://www.amazon.com/Next-Ship-Hom.../dp/1728243149

The main character is a young woman who lives in a tenement on Orchard Street in NYC, whose family runs a bierhaus on the lower floor, and who goes to work as a matron at Ellis Island.

Orchard Street being the location of the Tenement Museum my daughter and I visited again last fall, one of the tours we did being a restored bierhaus on the lower floor of a neighboring building that had been run by a family in that tenement building.

My paternal grandparents immigrated from Denmark in the early 1900’s, coming thru Ellis Island, and it is fascinating to read the detail of the actual process of that experience.

Back in the day when immigrants from Italy, Ireland, etc., were looked down on and discriminated against…by Americans, and by other immigrants.

Very good, and maybe visit the Tenement Museum if you get to NYC.

Maggie
Old 03-09-2024, 08:27 AM   #8149
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Even a rainy day at Edisto is a good day, I remind myself, as it is still, of course, Edisto Beach, where I can hear the surf at all times.

HOWEVER, it has now been raining for hours, also not the first time this week, so it can stop at any time, thank you very much.

We dog owners are running our pups out when we have a break from the heavy rain, and Miss Lily has obligingly not insisted on a walk during a downpour.

Which we’ve had, several times.

The dune side campsites are on slightly higher ground than the main campground, so we are fortunately not stepping out into water like many are.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1EF49F94-D08B-4B64-8163-481259C66F8E.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	441706  
Old 03-10-2024, 09:59 AM   #8150
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The first time we stayed at Edisto for 2 weeks, it was in the after…minus the husband, after which Lily began insisting on sleeping with me.

To keep me safe, the vet said, so that whatever got Doug did not get me.

At home or in the Interstate, I would wake in the night and she would be curled at my feet or stretched out along the length of my body.

Which meant dog hair and dog dander in my bed, tho when at home washing everything was a simple tho frequent task.

So, after the first week of a two week stay here, I hauled everything into Charleston to the laundromat, which took 4 entire hours out of a Sunday.

After that, I bought Febreze and sprayed the comforter before hanging it out on the mirror to air.

Not like having been laundered , but better than the odor of damp dog permeating my bedding to assault my nostrils all night, every night.

But, now, Lily’s dog hair and dander are confined to the rugs, as she can no longer jump up onto my bed, either at home or in the Interstate.

Vacuuming daily keeps after that and the sand she tracks in, and then there is still Febreze with which to give the rugs a quick spray…which deodorizes them, and to a lesser extent, her.

I have been known to spray her lightly with Febreze, as well, tho we are not yet at that point this trip.

I have met people who bathe their dogs weekly…so they don’t smell like, you know, dogs… but I am not interested in that, nor I’m sure would be Miss Lily.

But, Febreze is the dog owners friend, especially in the somewhat humid beach environment, and it has never seemed to bother her.

It is cool today, but thankfully dry, with some sunshine and a good breeze.

Made a quick run to the very nice little grocer here, and have deodorized everything with fresh air…and, Febreze.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	21DCC1E8-4010-4EFB-A400-E1EB5E7088D5.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	441741   Click image for larger version

Name:	C5068977-0CC1-49F0-A94B-072F62F7602D.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	441742  

Old 03-12-2024, 08:53 AM   #8151
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
10 years ago, right about now, I had signed a DNR on Doug and his physician in charge at the ICU had requested a neurology consult to confirm their belief that he had no meaningful brain activity.

Doug had had a difficult night, spiking a fever, vomiting old blood and showing other indications of systemic organ failure/distress.

His body was trying to die, but the ventilator was keeping him alive, was the truth, so the girls reached out to the siblings not present to get everyone on board that, once the neurologist concurred, it was time to take him off life support.

Not that I couldn’t make the decision, myself, but particularly his kids needed to understand the why, and not be opposed to it, in my opinion.

Dr. Wright Culpepper stayed with us most of that day, prayed for Doug, and for those he would leave behind.

When faced with unknowns, but still must act, we do the best we can with what we know and have to work with at the time, is the truth.

We came together as a team, made informed and thoughtful decisions, and we let him go.

Sigh.

Every time this trip that I have walked out onto the beach here, our favorite place in the world, I have wondered if this will be the last time I get here.

It’s just, ya know, natural to wonder.

There have been lots of whelks on the shore this year…I have picked up these, left at least this many on the sand, and others here awhile also have piles of them.

I will pick out my favorite shells to take home, and return the others to the sand, and then some will go into the rock bed in front of my house.

Then, I have Edisto colors, all the time.

Some mornings I get up and find little paw prints on the picnic table around my shells, and the shells themselves rearranged and/or some on the ground.

I don’t know if they are playing or looking for food.

Yesterday morning, walking Lily early, I found a large starfish washed up, which I left for someone else, as I have two at home that I found laying next to each other the first time I came back here in the after.

The first time we ever saw a starfish on a beach was here at Edisto, and the 2 laying side by side seemed a sign.

So, here we are, Lily and I still up and running, 10 years later…and I am grateful, but aware.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	94B22475-78A0-485C-8858-1FE8CDB5E0B6.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	441789  
Old 03-13-2024, 06:56 AM   #8152
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
A very good and thoughtful post to read this morning. Just to let you know, I’ve had similar thoughts on trips over the years as I never know when my next ski trip / camping trip / boat trip will be my last. No one, at any age is promised tomorrow.

Then, 4 years ago, my wife had back to back life threatening illnesses. She is all well now, even though she naturally still has thoughts in the back of her mind of a recurrence.

It did, however, give me a new perspective on my previous thoughts. I still have the same thoughts but it gives me a greater appreciation of each day / each trip / each moment and enjoy it more than I did before. Some day that may change but I hope it does not.

I’ve never had the opportunity to meet you or Doug. Your thoughts are normal and expected ( to me). I would think Doug would want you to keep taking your trips as long as possible and I believe he is sharing these trips with you, even if only in your heart.

I understand your Edisto trips a little more than I did before. The Grand Canyon is my Edisto at this time. It always brings me joy and comfort.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:54 AM   #8153
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good morning, and I hope that you with your wife have many more happy years of travel together.

Tomorrow is not guaranteed, was my biggest initial takeaway from Doug’s suddenly being stricken, 900 miles from home.

You may think you have time, but it’s really not your decision, for the most part.

Our last walk on the beach each day here Lily and I sit on the sand awhile, watching the surf and whatever else is happening on the beach.

Yesterday afternoon on this walk I was in the 10 years ago at this time…he had been taken off life support, his daughter and I were holding his hands on either side of the bed, and my daughter was also sitting bedside with a hand on his leg.

When I sat down on the beach yesterday, and as I placed my left hand on the sand, there was this tiny, heart shaped shell.

Coincidence? Perhaps, but I think not.

Hearts were a Doug thing for me, him drawing them with our initials inside and an arrow thru, particularly on paper tablecloths at restaurants…and then pulling out his little Swiss Army knife, using the scissors to cut a square with the heart inside it, and then presenting it to me with a small flourish.

I have a pile of those from our 27 years together, including one from an outdoor cafe table in Paris.

The larger, slightly out of focus , tan/blue heart shaped shell below I found here fairly early in the after, walking in the surf and talking to Doug, when I looked down and this clearly defined heart was at my feet.

A sign he was close, I felt certain.

That one is mounted with sticky stuff on the aluminum piece that holds the kitchen blind in the Interstate, and the one from yesterday will go next to it.

We take our comfort where we find it, is the truth, and I firmly believe Doug can and does stay around…and that he on occasion communicates with me.

It’s been 10 years, and this anniversary feels a little more profound, for some reason, but I no longer feel like an open wound and there have been no tears.

And I think that’s as it should be, 10 years on.

We need to heal over time, from whatever, and to allow ourselves to do so.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D9F6A1E8-40BD-4982-973D-49EF481F1434.jpeg
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	441822   Click image for larger version

Name:	7ABDDB66-1D4B-4D7A-8548-9011C6E4986F.jpeg
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	441823  

Old 03-14-2024, 06:05 AM   #8154
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Very sweet experiences with the seashells you and Doug shared. I had many similar experiences when my wife was going thru her treatments. To relieve the stress of the days I would get out on my boat and just let the music and motor roar on the lake.

One time I slowed down for something floating in the water. It was a pink woman’s life jacket. I always bought Stearns life jackets. This one was a Kidder. When I pulled it out of the water it had the company logo of “KD” on it, the same as my wife’s initials. That life jacket was my first moment of hope that things may be OK.

I had 5-6 other such moments that my grown children think are coincidences. Like you, I think there is more to it and that brings me comfort.

Have a great day as you continue to enjoy all that life has to offer.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:21 AM   #8155
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Awwww, thank you, and I absolutely agree with you.

Some call those chance alignments of ourselves with meaningful other things or people serendipity.

And I believe that people who don’t believe the other side communicates with us are simply not paying attention.

Gavin de Becker, “The Gift of Fear”, talks about the importance of paying attention to our intuition, the thoughts that come out of nowhere to guide us.

He says they are always in our best interest, and always telling us something important.

I believe those thoughts that “come out of nowhere” are actually communications, what Tyler Henry refers to as “data downloads”.

We are winding down here, leaving on Sunday, and it has been a wonderful stay that has, as always, flown by.

We are having a bit warmer weather, and no rain predicted, so it will be a fine send off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CC526342-A7BB-4381-B6F7-57FFB7CE77AC.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	441844  
Old 03-16-2024, 08:25 AM   #8156
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Temps up into the 70’s the last couple of days, and predicted to be 77 today.

I have pulled out capris and a couple of short sleeved tops, and we are soaking up this place without spending too much time directly in the sunshine.

Time to deploy the Sunbrella for our last walks on the beach, which are a fairly substantial personal area of portable shade.

And big enough when we sit on the beach for Lily to cuddle next to me, also in shade.

Because it just seemed the right thing to do this morning, sun shining and a good breeze, I pulled off the Interstate’s window screens and that for the vent fan and took a little Dawn with a soft brush to clean them under the outdoor spigot.

Windows and fan cleaned, screens dried, all have been reinstalled and they look much better...one of those things I only do about once a year.

I’m pondering bathing Lily under the spigot later today, shhh, but we’ll see if I get that done.

We’re going to have fish tacos at McConkeys today, as it is our last and also a perfect day to sit on their little deck…Lily welcome, complimentary water included.

These are the shells I am taking home, a half dozen or so returned to the beach, most of which will go into my rock bed and the prettier whelks will find a spot inside.

The huge whelk at the far left was the find of the trip, and I will gift it to the grands, who still remember and talk about the week we spent here in a house on the beach years ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6C31BBE4-D06B-4AAF-907B-6DC7E190C185.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	441881  
Old 03-18-2024, 01:18 PM   #8157
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We were on the road by 6:30 yesterday morning, made a stop in Beaufort at a 24 hour laundromat and then after a yummy brunch spent the rest of the day visiting on Tybee Island.

Spent the night in their driveway and then headed toward Brunswick this morning, making a stop at Blue Beacon …tho the Interstate was not that filthy, it was coated with that green pollen from the trees, and an undercarriage wash is always a good thing after spending time at the beach.

I’ve been reading about parts of Florida declaring war on spring breakers, or something to that effect, and Tybee Island is apparently also thinking along the same lines.

Driving down in there on a Sunday in March, I have to say the main drag seemed almost alive with people…some of whom apparently behave badly.

The residential area I was in was very quiet, but that is not the case for all, apparently.

Rather sad, as I’m sure tourists of all ages bring a tremendous amount of money into the area.

We are settled into our campground here for the next couple of nights, I see my new winter doctor on Wednesday morning and then we will head for home.

The last couple of days have been busy, so we are not going to do too much tomorrow.

Lily is tired from charming everyone within reach, and needs to catch up on her beauty sleep.

A bevy of turtles, or whatever their grouping is called , out sunning themselves this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FCB50F44-8327-4A22-AC97-4873D61B2E07.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	441928  
Old 03-18-2024, 01:24 PM   #8158
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I downloaded this quote some time ago from an otherwise unremarkable set of ebooks, and am posting it otherwise out of any context so that I can then delete it from my photo library.

“Like a jar of lightening improperly sealed” is one of the best descriptors I have ever read, and I can think of a few people for whom this would be uncannily accurate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A17C2DBD-B9D3-4F34-AC84-3E4FC2B964FC.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	441929  
Old 03-20-2024, 04:26 AM   #8159
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I finished this book yesterday, “The Pieces We Keep”, by Kristina McMorris, and it went on my “Read Again” shelf, it was that good.

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-We-Kee.../dp/0758281161

Historical fiction, based on real events in WWII, one of those that goes back and forth between the past and present day…and I think often with these that I need a legal pad at hand with columns for the main characters, to keep track of who’s who, when they live, their role, etc.

Interspersed with then and now characters is the echo of a past life surfacing in a small child, which helps unravel some mysteries and connect aged survivors once separated by war.

Very well written, and really, really good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	385254A2-F6C8-40F1-B62A-417AE4345990.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	441969  
Old 03-20-2024, 02:04 PM   #8160
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I saw my new “winter Doctor” again today…labs remain stable, he pronounced me “in remission” and scheduled another appointment for February of 2025.

It has been a rather wild 6 months or so, quite honestly, but it looks like continuing travel is in the cards for me, and I am grateful.

We will be home over the weekend sometime, I have an appointment for the Interstate to be serviced on Monday and for a haircut on Wednesday.

Lily knows we are heading home, as I’ve told her …her tail thumps hard when I mention “Lily’s house” and seeing my son and the kids.

It’s been a good trip.

Maggie