Old 11-06-2018, 05:53 AM   #5573
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have shrubs still to trim, too, rmkrum, but now we are in a bout of days of rain and possibly snow so that will have to wait a bit.

Part of the joy of fall...readying for winter and the next spring.

Maggie

Old 11-06-2018, 06:13 AM   #5574
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Those of you with established lawns and landscaping are making me jealous. I'm still trying to convert a construction site into a yard--dealing with a limited budget, learning what will grow in which places, etc. One day it will be done.

Yesterday I did important stuff. The water faucet next to my Airstream is all hooked up and working--and insulated against what bit of winter we do get here.

mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:21 AM   #5575
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, having the AS tended to is critical.

Maggie
Old 11-09-2018, 07:01 AM   #5576
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, we have snow...

The earliest ďsticking snowĒ since 1991, according to the local weatherman...generally not due for another month...and predicted overnight wind chills into the teens in the next couple of days.

Lily had a wild romp in the woods yesterday morning, in one of the beautiful nature areas near here.

Heavily forested, winding and gently sloped trails...perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBE34A3A-BC5A-49FF-A691-EC30F3935917.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	565.2 KB
ID:	327384   Click image for larger version

Name:	FD4041F3-5614-4F65-9BC5-4733718EA0B1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	327385  

Old 11-13-2018, 07:32 AM   #5577
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Weíve had overnight lows in the teens the past several days, currently with a windchill of 6 degrees ...plus had a new coating of snow and freezing rain yesterday.

Not complaining about the weather, as the horrific fires out west are a sobering reminder that precipitation and more wet climates have their advantages. Just reporting the experience.

What a terrible, horrible scene of devastation in California, and already horrific loss of life by those unable to escape. I simply cannot imagine dealing with such a thing, and my heart goes out to all of them.

Iím becoming something of a news junkie the last year or so, with so much going on here and in the world, it feels as if Nostradamus predictions are coming true...tho I havenít looked at that book in many years, I recall that 500 years ago there were dire, dire predictions on many levels, and we seem to be living them.

Shootings, fires, unrest in so many places and on so many levels, much is certainly a frigging mess.

It feels like we are hurtling towards something globally cataclysmic.

Round four with the rake and leaf blower on Sunday got most of the remaining front and side yard leaves to the curb.

A lot of leaves in the back have come down green. Just one of those years.

Another pile of hats is completed, along with a prayer shawl. Fingers have been busy, and as long as I am changing up patterns they are not failing on me.

I havenít checked the Interstate the past few weeks, but am going to go by there this morning while out, be sure tire covers remain in place and nothing else is amiss.

Iím feeling a bit antsy.

Maggie
Old 11-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #5578
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A couple of inches of snow overnight, still coming down and predicted to do so much of today.

I’m going to have to shovel.

Under that snow, leaves remain, as weather has not allowed the yard guys back there this week.

It may be one of those years they’re not cleared til spring.

Local news is full of the coming 5th anniversary of the tornadoes that ripped through about 40 miles west of here, in Washington, Il.

Basically flattened much of this community...akin to the hurricanes elsewhere, but without the water and the washing out to sea.

I remember this storm vividly, Doug and I watching it’s path closely, and when it was over grimly realizing that there is no safe place in the little house where one could hope to survive a storm of this magnitude.

It was something of a life-altering experience for us.

Underground is the only safe place, and which saved many lives during this storm, but there is none of that here...but son’s house is a mile away, complete with a basement, and it is there we would head if such a storm were coming our way.

Life can change in an instant.

My friend in Ontario has recently been diagnosed with a very aggressive form of non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, and was started on chemotherapy within just a few weeks.

It is considered highly treatable, but chemo will be grueling and I feel so, so badly for her.

I’d thought last month about making a run up there, to give her hugs, cook a few meals, etc., but weather here turned so quickly I was afraid of getting caught in something and so winterized instead. She has a good husband, tho he has some health problems of his own, also a son nearby, so is not alone, but still.

So, I’ve been crocheting chemo caps and am going to ship a box off to her tomorrow. Hard to know what will fit a head you don’t have access to, and one which will be smaller once she has lost her hair, so she can pick what she likes and which fits, and take the remainder to her cancer center.

If we are fortunate enough to get older, health issues inevitably arrive for most of us, but it is still, always, a jolt.

Going to hunker down inside and make Cranberry-Pear Conserve for the upcoming holidays today, something I began making 20 years ago or so...but not the past few, as I’ve been clearing out what’s already in my freezer.

I think I’ve already posted that recipe.

Such a beautiful, ruby red jam for biscuits and rolls, and makes a great gift in a pretty jar, too.

Snow is still coming down at a good clip, may have snowmen at Thanksgiving for the first time since I can’t remember when...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AFFBA1A9-D880-4BA6-A2CF-06DB317AE112.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	327908  
Old 11-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #5579
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
It looks lovely and peaceful. One could do a nice little montage of the changing seasons looking out that pretty window of yours.

We on the other hand have absolutely delightful beautiful incredible weather :-) come back and park in the driveway anytime it's manageable now.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #5580
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is lovely and very peaceful looking out back, not so much in front any more as I have hacked out and cleared the driveway of 3”-4” of snow.

It’s very heavy, wet snow, so the kidlings will be out playing in it, having snowball fights and building snowmen.

It’s a bit disconcerting, this time of year, as I wonder if its early presence is a sign of a bad winter to come. There have been years snow and ice was hacked off the Interstate, and we crept south very slowly in frigid cold.

I remember the year we couldn’t wait to leave, and thought we would sit out a snow and ice storm in Missouri. Big mistake, as we were stuck in place for three days, finally hacking ourselves out with a hatchet and folding camp saw.

Doug-the-driver could drive anything, in any kind of weather, but I will be more cautious. We’ll see.

However, snow is precipitation, necessary for life, and something our farmers keep a close watch on through the winter months. Wrong to complain.

Conserve is made, this being about 1/3 of my yield, and the smell of cranberries, orange zest and pears permeates the little house.

Yes, my pear chunks are a bit oversized, but no one will mind.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DBF01195-892C-4E71-81D6-32B1C4524168.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	327925  
Old 11-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #5581
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This turn of events, regarding the homeless vet and GoFundMe account, is disgusting, distressing and discouraging.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.1e84a428a427

It is difficult for me to fathom not one but three people creating such a story, so as to deceive and defraud well meaning others out of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Who are these people.

I saw my chiropractor/holistic health care practitioner for a tune-up this morning...one of the long-standing, trusting, fabric of my life relationships for which I am very grateful.

If you donít have one of these people in your life, and especially if your body seems to be falling apart, consider finding one and adding them to your routine medical care.

Wish I had found him earlier in my life.

Maggie
Old 11-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #5582
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
We were also very annoyed at the latest development in the story. Although I am a positive person by nature I am also cynical, skeptical and a realist. Despite all of that I too was surprised at what has occurred.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #5583
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Part of me says Iíd rather be the trusting person who is fooled rather than the evil person who intentionally deceives.

And part of me wants thugs like this banished to some disconnected island from which weíll never hear from them again.

Trying hard to stay on the positive side...liars like this make it harder every day....
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:43 PM   #5584
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It was bad enough when it seemed the couple had taken and spent most of the money, to now find out all three of them were in cahoots.

I share the cynic, skeptic, realist label, which is why I am very careful where I give money...basically, I donít, but with rare exceptions only to the Red Cross and known local charities.

These people have done a lot of damage, in my opinion.

Maggie
Old 11-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #5585
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Part of me says I’d rather be the trusting person who is fooled rather than the evil person who intentionally deceives.

And part of me wants thugs like this banished to some disconnected island from which we’ll never hear from them again.

Trying hard to stay on the positive side...liars like this make it harder every day....
Trusting people do get fooled, and it has happened to me.

I think maybe hard labor with a pickaxe in a rock quarry, side by side, working for minimum wage, til it’s all paid back.

Maggie
Old 11-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #5586
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And that said, about trusting people sometimes being fooled, I do believe things turn out the way they are supposed to turn out...when you find yourself in a different tunnel than the one you started out in, sometimes there’s a bell you’re supposed to ring when you get to that light, signaling a broader and better outcome than what you imagined.

If y’all don’t understand what I’m talkin’ about, that is quite alright.

Get up every day, do your part, and trust that it will all work out the way it is supposed to work out, just not necessarily the way you originally planned...that is the moral to this story.

Ohhh, the stories I could tell...

Seriously, we are all the end product of our experiences to date, and we learn what we learn when and how we are supposed to learn them.

That’s what I believe.

Maggie