Old 08-31-2018, 07:21 AM   #5475
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Tommie, and thank you for those kind and encouraging words.

I keep writing here because people keep reading and encouraging me, privately and publicly, to do so.

I greatly and immeasurably appreciate the good people here, and the support they have provided over the years.

Next time you pass thru Illinois, maybe we can meet for coffee, lunch, breakfast...that McDonalds is still there...or you can spend a night at the nice county park north of me and I’ll cook you dinner.

Take care, and travel safe, Tommie.

Maggie

Old 08-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #5476
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Thanks, Maggie,
As my age increases, my ability to do all the heavy labor with a tow behind has become less than I would desire. So, I decided to go the route of a Sprinter based RV with some requirements. That is, as a frequent boon docker, I wanted a dry bath and full shower.

After nearly a year of investigation, it became clear that the Atlas did not meet my requirements, too expensive, to start, very few windows and not a fixed work area for my computer. Thus, I have had to give up, for the moment, the Airstream lifestyle and will be traveling in a Leisure Travel Van Unity Corner Bed, which hopefully will be delivered in October at the dealer in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. My AS is currently being enjoyed by folks down in Valdosta, Georgia, apparently very happy with it.

However, I would love to drop by and see you again, and will certainly let you know when I am traveling through Illinois. Possibly on my return from South Dakota, but weather is the determining factor quite often in October.

Be well, enjoy your new Interstate.

AIR #31871 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:48 PM   #5477
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
A nice looking and functional layout, even with the slide-out not extended.

https://leisurevans.com/wp-content/t...8_unity_cb.pdf

We downsized from a 25' to our FC20, but may be headed in the same direction.

Thanks for the idea, and good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:00 PM   #5478
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think I read something on here about you looking at a Class B, Tommie, and am glad to hear you have selected something that meets your needs.

Although I did some mental casting around at other possibilities after the accident, I really couldn’t see myself in anything but another Class B.

I hope you enjoy yours, and would love to see/hear from you any time you are in the area.

You may still have my phone number somewhere, but I’m going to send you a pm with it so you can text me if you’re headed this way.

Take care,

Maggie
Old 08-31-2018, 02:06 PM   #5479
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That’s a pretty gorgeous looking rig, Tommie!

Looks compact, but roomy and comfortable at the same time.

I like the stand alone shower, also the cubby the bed is in.

October is usually beautiful in Illinois, , and may I recommend if you have time to pick up the River Road in Wisconsin and take it down...

Maggie
Old 08-31-2018, 02:50 PM   #5480
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
As my age increases, my ability to do all the heavy labor with a tow behind has become less than I would desire. So, I decided to go the route of a Sprinter based RV with some requirements. That is, as a frequent boon docker, I wanted a dry bath and full shower.

Tommie

If we are all lucky enough we may be going the same route at some time down the road. I hope you enjoy your new class B.

Dan
TouringDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #5481
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Two loaves of bread a-rising...one seeded rye, the other cracked wheat.

Yum, real bread, ain’t nothin quite like it.

If I’m going to heat my oven to 450 degrees in August, why not bake two loaves...that’s why I have a deep freeze.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EC6116A8-9A5A-4CA9-B509-27BE3EDE41FE.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	321273  
Old 09-03-2018, 01:55 PM   #5482
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So I baked my loaves yesterday, let them cool, then bagged and froze both halves of the cracked wheat and one half of the rye.

My son, then, last evening, texted me to ask if I could bring a loaf of bread for dinner today.

Being an 18-24 hour rise on the counter, my traditional Dutch Oven loaf couldn’t be done for mid afternoon today, so I thought I would try modifying that one loaf recipe to make a more traditional, kneaded loaf.

3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
about 1 cup of warm water

Mix the dry ingredients, then enough warm water to make a dough that is pliable and holds together. Knead til smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Place in oiled bowl, turn to coat and let rise til doubled, about 2 hours.

Gently pat and fold a few times to shape, cover and let rise in cast iron skillet til doubled again, about 1 1/2 hours.

Slash surface with sharp knife, bake at 400 degrees about 40 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3CC11AC8-42D5-4CDC-93B8-68276C7825BC.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	321425  
Old 09-03-2018, 07:33 PM   #5483
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The bread was delicious, and very well received...more dense and with a finer crumb than the light and holey artisan bread. I’m very pleased with myself for being able to pull it off.

This was an interesting article, and I showed the pictures to my grands this evening, just to give them some sense of the privileged life they live in this time and this country.

They cannot imagine a life or world where children as young as toddlers work all day instead of playing or being in school.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.daeb1e12c011
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	607D185E-51E5-4EF4-BC12-E05B8A10D571.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	321442  
Old 09-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #5484
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Bread looks delicious, kids look hungry.

It's amazing what all our ancestors went thru for daily survival.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #5485
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It really is, and many of these children were also orphans or abandoned and living on the streets or wherever they could find a spot...struggling for survival and to meet basic needs 24 hours a day.

It was a time when children had little in the way of formal rights or protections, and the brave photographer this article is about was able to change that by publicizing their plight.

My oven is running for the third day in a row, baking chocolate chip cookies to take to my sister in law/her crew later today...along with two big pans of a pasta bake I made yesterday that will be MRE’s for a couple of days.

It’s what one does when tragedy strikes...we feed our loved ones.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #5486
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I’ve been reading this book the past few evenings, which is very, very good...tho raw in many ways, and not for the faint of heart nor prudish.

https://www.amazon.com/Bronze-Horsem.../dp/006185414X

It is a story of love and war, very well written and easy to relate to if you have ever been deeply in love, ever been so fortunate to have had the experience of losing yourself in another, your very skin and soul becoming theirs, and theirs yours.

We had that kind of deep and abiding bond, always, thru good and difficult and some bad times, life being life and both of us having rather complicated selves...the bond was always there, the love was always there, pulling us back together during hard times, keeping us together and going.

Reading this book has reminded me of falling in love, and being in love, with Douglas Dwight Hayes, and as I’m remembering and relating and identifying with the feelings described as I read I keep getting brief whiffs of cigarette smoke...tho I am alone in the house and have never taken a single puff of a cigarette in my life, I smell for an instant cigarette smoke.

Doug smoked most of his life, tho had quit the 5 years before he died I’m sure that’s what ultimately killed him. He loved smoking cigarettes, it was a part of him and who he was, and he always said he could snatch a lit cigarette from someone’s hand and start again in an instant.

“Don’t think of it as a nasty habit, think of it as a drug that hits the brain in 9 seconds”, he would say.

He was in recovery when he died, but still a smoker in his heart.

So, I wonder, is his spirit hovering near, smoking a cigarette, his arm around me and reading over my shoulder...smiling slightly and remembering?

I can just see him.

I have stumbled some in widowhood, and made some changes in my life, but I believe he is proud of me, encourages me, and steps in to help me when needed.

I am grateful for having found this book, reminding me of the best of times with this man, and how lucky I am to have loved and been loved in my life.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C7781CB2-2A9F-4435-8F6C-726DD488A8F7.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	321667  
Old 09-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #5487
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There has been a great deal in the news the past few days, from politics to priests , which I would like to comment on, but shan’t do so here...

This, however, is an incredibly sad state of affairs I can speak to....what in the world were they thinking?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.1a7f04fe78c1

I’m sure it took him a minute to decide to speak up and address it.

Maggie
Old 09-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #5488
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Unhappy

Very sad indeed . . . words escape me . . .

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote