Old 07-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #5377
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The bubbly looks good and well-desreved.

Cheers, Maggie! You are an inspiration.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:47 AM   #5378
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Hooray! I'm glad everything has turned out well. I can't wait to read about your new adventures.
Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:48 AM   #5379
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Hooray! I'm glad everything has turned out well. I can't wait to read about your new adventures.
Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:33 AM   #5380
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, folks.

There is a phenomenal amount of stuff that came out of the old Interstate which now is needing to find space in the new one.

Storage configuration is different, I am figuring it out as I go.

I pulled up the carpet in the cab area yesterday, ran it thru the washing machine and dried it outside before returning it to place....voila!, no lingering “old dust” odor, and smelling “nice” when you step inside.

Ultraleather was spotless but is now wiped down with leather conditioner/cleaner, and all of the cabinets...also spotless...were wiped out with pinesol in water.

It’s just what one does with a new place...at least it’s what this one does.

I had help to get some heavy things out there yesterday, and am hoping to finish most of the unpacking today.

A job, but I again have wheels...and I am grateful.

Maggie
Old 07-10-2018, 05:52 AM   #5381
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Thanks, Bud.

As long as her Mama is there, she will be good to go.

Maggie
For certain her "pack" is back together and all is good.

Safe Travels - Enjoy

Bud

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #5382
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It looks like my summer adventure is going to happen...

I signed up to volunteer with this group last year, and watched for projects in an area I was interested in and at a time when I was available.

https://historicorps.org/

HistoriCorps runs on volunteers, mostly 55 and older, and restores historical structures all over the country...also providing lodging to volunteers via camping or other simple accommodations, as well as meals.

And, as with Habitat builds, a modest bonus is that mileage and other expenses for getting oneself to and from are tax deductible as a charitable donation.

I signed up early this spring for several restoration sessions in July-August in Colorado, including for this old log cabin.

I have been in love with log cabins since I was a child playing with Lincoln logs, always wanted one for myself but when I was able to have a small house of my own I was single mom to two and afraid to live outside of town for fear weather or some other adverse event would separate me from my children. In town, one can always walk, if one has to.

There has throughout my life been an instinctive draw for me to these old dwellings, and my long held belief that I lived in one in a past life...having gone west in a covered wagon.

And so, an actual log cabin not being realistic, the little house was built, replete with a wood stove in the living room as primary heat source...a nod to the dream, only partially realized.

That I am going to have the opportunity to lay my hands on one, and help with its preservation, delights me beyond description.

I will also be working on the wellhouses.

Tasks are able to be tailored to the individual, so I will not be on roofs nor working off ladders.

What an opportunity...historical restoration, working outside in beautiful Colorado, at an elevation allowing temperature comfort.

I am looking forward to the outdoors, the experience and a new adventure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C734EF5A-4217-47D4-B351-BE2464AE5B09.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	316584  
Old 07-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #5383
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
These were hanging with Doug’s favorite Gunsite cap from the hand bar above the passenger seat of the old Interstate.

The Guardian Angel charm was given to me by my daughter long enough ago that it first hung from the rearview mirror in the Toyota Matrix I drove for work.

The bracelet was made by my son in laws mother, the tiny picture was of Doug and I at my daughters wedding in 2013.

We were dancing, I believe...me in a long dress, with my hair done and up, false eyelashes, more makeup than I have ever worn at one time in my life.

I had to cut the strap to the hat to get it off the bar, as the strap wouldn’t release, so it is now permanently retired to the back bedroom, but I am going to hang these together from a silver chain along with a sterling rose I wore for a long time after Doug died...on the same bar in the new Interstate, as he is still my copilot, I do feel, and needs something tangible along with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	517A4497-566D-4FE2-861A-694D541AB925.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	316590  
Old 07-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #5384
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
It looks like my summer adventure is going to happen...

I signed up to volunteer with this group last year, and watched for projects in an area I was interested in and at a time when I was available.

https://historicorps.org/

HistoriCorps runs on volunteers, mostly 55 and older, and restores historical structures all over the country...also providing lodging to volunteers via camping or other simple accommodations, as well as meals.

And, as with Habitat builds, a modest bonus is that mileage and other expenses for getting oneself to and from are tax deductible as a charitable donation.

I signed up early this spring for several restoration sessions in July-August in Colorado, including for this old log cabin.

I have been in love with log cabins since I was a child playing with Lincoln logs, always wanted one for myself but when I was able to have a small house of my own I was single mom to two and afraid to live outside of town for fear weather or some other adverse event would separate me from my children. In town, one can always walk, if one has to.

There has throughout my life been an instinctive draw for me to these old dwellings, and my long held belief that I lived in one in a past life...having gone west in a covered wagon.

And so, an actual log cabin not being realistic, the little house was built, replete with a wood stove in the living room as primary heat source...a nod to the dream, only partially realized.

That I am going to have the opportunity to lay my hands on one, and help with its preservation, delights me beyond description.

I will also be working on the wellhouses.

Tasks are able to be tailored to the individual, so I will not be on roofs nor working off ladders.

What an opportunity...historical restoration, working outside in beautiful Colorado, at an elevation allowing temperature comfort.

I am looking forward to the outdoors, the experience and a new adventure.
Sounds like fun and interesting, congratulations. One word, however, with the new tax law before getting too excited about deducting volunteer miles etc I'd check with your accountant if you use one. We put on over 20,000 miles last year, plus many other volunteer expenses and in 2018 we will not be able to use that deduction as our itemized deductions will not exceed the new standard deduction. The biggest deductible item we lost as well as everyone else is medical deductions, and without that deduction we just don't meet the amount of the new standard deduction. We have not cut back on our volunteer work, but we are no longer able to use it.

Enjoy

Bud

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #5385
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
This sounds like a wonderful thing to do Maggie. I will enjoy following along with your experiences. Way to go!

Katy
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #5386
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Bud, I did talk with her about what to keep track of, and know it needs to be a certain % of your income, but I’m not going for the tax benefit.

If I can deduct nothing, I think it will be a very worthwhile experience.

Thanks, Katy.

Maggie
Old 07-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #5387
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
That log cabin looks great! Will you be living in the IS, and how does the whole thing work in terms of housing, meals and hook-ups? Have a good time!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #5388
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
The biggest deductible item we lost as well as everyone else is medical deductions, and without that deduction we just don't meet the amount of the new standard deduction.

Bud
Check again-the medical deduction for 2018 remains the same-deductible above 7.5% of Adjusted Gross Income for those 65 and older. It does not go away even after that-the floor changes to 10%.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #5389
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for that, silverbee...I’m going to keep track of mileage, gas receipts, etc., and if I can take a deduction that will be great.

I don’t know how the meals work, exactly, just that they cook and feed you three meals a day plus snacks and water.

For these jobsites, they tell you the campground and you go there, then travel a short distance to the job site each day.

I have noticed that some project sites are pack in, only, for small tents...which would be fun to experience a project that remote, but not the tent part and it would be impossible unless I left Lily behind. Ummm, no, that would be a deal breaker.

I specifically asked about Lily, telling them I travel with a dog, and it’s not a problem for these sites...could be for others, if animals are prohibited for some reason at that location.

She cannot be at/in the jobsite, itself, due to safety issues, but can be nearby...as in I will drive the Interstate to the job site each morning.

She can then watch from a distance, and I think should do fine.

I’ll keep y’all posted, and take lots of pictures.

I’m just so glad everything came together, and we can still go.

Maggie
Old 07-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #5390
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Just curious. Where is the log cabin located in Colorado?

DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote