Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2022, 09:20 AM   #7461
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Oh wow glad you discovered that and was able to get it repaired plus it was nothing major. Once in the mountains it may have been hard to find a repairman or fuel. Enjoy the remainder of your day.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:15 PM   #7462
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, very fortunate, particularly so in that I noticed the small puddle and paid attention to it.

Next HC project week begins Sunday, and we are splurging on the next three nights with full hookups.

Because it is hot as blue blazes, basically.

Talking with the women at the salon last evening, telling them about the cow in the road, Brett said that under some circumstances in Wyoming a driver who hits and kills a cow is liable for the cost of the cow and at least one calf they are then unable to produce.

They also talked about ranchers moving their herds, which often take place using the rural highways, backing traffic up for extended periods.

Wyoming.

Maggie
Old 07-20-2022, 04:15 PM   #7463
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is 92 degrees here, and predicted to be 101 on Friday.

However, we have 30 amp and are inside with the AC running…and Lily is a happy, happy girl.

She’s had a good nap, stopped panting and we’re going to go for a walk here in a bit.

In the almost 4 weeks since we left the first Atlantic City project week, I don’t think I’ve been plugged into electric more than 7 nights or so.

But we’ve been at altitude most of that time, and tho we’ve had some heat temps have been manageable.

However, I’m glad now that I made this reservation before I left here for that first project week 5 weeks or so ago.

Fortunately, it is at 9,000’ and more, where this heat will not hit us, as I and Miss Lily would both have great difficulty with it.

When I bought the tshirt in Pinedale yesterday I also bought this bar of heavenly smelling, gardenia scented, homemade goat milk soap…because, I deserve it.

Going to have a long scrub in the shower, and in the next couple of days do some cleaning and washing of rugs, emptying tanks and flushing out the system thoroughly before topping everything off and heading up the mountain on Saturday.

Right now, I am grateful for simple, basic comforts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5C3E1CED-F79D-49BB-BE93-697624F50C4D.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	419737   Click image for larger version

Name:	893A5F74-B85F-460A-A81C-DF52919E3E2D.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	419738  

Old 07-20-2022, 05:08 PM   #7464
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Congratulations on spotting the fuel leak. You're learning!
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 05:39 PM   #7465
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am, Mimi.

Even I knew nothing should be dripping from under there, so I stuck my finger in it and smelled it.

Tho I mistakenly thought it was oil, I correctly knew it needed attention.

Maggie
Old 07-21-2022, 05:17 PM   #7466
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
There is one thing that might be dripping from underneath your rig that is perfectly normal--condensate from the air conditioner. It feels and smells like water, because that's all it is. Like the moisture that condenses on the outside of your glass of iced tea, the same happens on the air conditioner parts under the car. There is a drain tube for it, but it will puddle under the vehicle when you stop, especially in humid weather.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:35 PM   #7467
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I did know that one, Mimi, but thank you.

That’s why I stuck my finger in it and smelled it.

Tho I thought it was oil, I was certain it was not water.

Just really glad this happened while I was in town.

Buddha smiles, Doug would say.

I washed the rugs today, then the floor, and cleaned the interior good.

Lily had 4 walks, and her weekly egg.

Mostly, we did NOT.DRIVE.

Tomorrow I will empty the tanks, get propane and top off the fresh water, then laundry Saturday morning before heading up the mountain.

This is one of the nicest campgrounds I have ever stayed in…Sleeping Bear RV Park & Campground, in Lander.

Everything is absolutely immaculate, trash bins at every site, gravel covering everything but the grass and tree areas between each site, so there is none of the Wyoming dust.

I finished a book last night called “On the Island”, by Tracey Garvis Graves.

Very good.

Maggie
Old 07-23-2022, 06:03 AM   #7468
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Choring completed, but for laundry here in a bit.

Coffee first…always.

Then, heading up the mountain, and we will stay in a federal campground tonight.

Will be out of signal until coming back down next Friday.

Looking forward to hearing how the groups from England liked Wyoming and their HistoriCorps adventure.

Maggie
Old 07-29-2022, 05:41 PM   #7469
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It was an interesting second session at Atlantic City , a diverse group of volunteers and the two dogs continued to cohabitate well.

Apparently one of the English crew brought Covid with them, with staff and other volunteers infected and ill before it was known.

Then I get off the mountain to find a text from my son that he and the whole family also had Covid last week, apparently brought home by one of the kids away at church camp.

Fully vaccinated, they had some uncomfortable days but have recovered.

The most serious flaw in this week was the persistent annoyance of the many chipmunks inhabiting this place, who on Tuesday ate entirely a piece of my solar suitcase panel wiring, and chewed to shreds another.

Rendering it completely unusable, of course. Bad, BAD little chipmunks, who get into everything they can.

I finished this week “The Gods of Gotham (Timothy Wilde Series #1)”, by Lindsay Faye, and it was both unusual and excellent.

About the fledgling New York City Police Department in the 1840’s, specifically about a discovered field of murdered children, a hooded man believed responsible, and the efforts of a young “copper star” to solve the murders and bring the man responsible to Justice.

Integral to this book is the language of “flash”, a street jargon, for which the author provides a little dictionary in the beginning of this book.

Very interesting, very well written, enlightening as to the life of the times.

We have driven the Wind River Canyon today, thru oil fields and past many signs for archeological sites hundreds of millions of years old.

Settled into a little town campground for the night, with RV’s here including those hauling horses in their back ends.

And a sign near a walking/biking path that if livestock are present to maintain a 20’ distance.

Wyoming.

We are heading east, planning to meet up with my friends in Minnesota before heading on to the lighthouse project in Michigan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B6AC0843-5BA6-48AC-A9ED-F32ED8BAAA61.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	776.6 KB
ID:	420244  
Old 07-31-2022, 02:32 PM   #7470
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We drove thru the Big Horns yesterday, completely without incident of any kind, tho I took careful note of the runaway truck ramps with “cable catch net systems”.

And, of one semi towing two trailers…after the catch net…that was down an embankment.

Didn’t look like it rolled nor hit anything serious on the way down, so I suspect no one was hurt, it was all just laying down in there.

I have been very glad numerous times that I went ahead and replaced my tires before heading out on this trip, as I will have 6,000 or so miles on by the time I get home.

Coming out of TenSleep yesterday morning, there appeared to be a BVan gathering of some sort at a campground I passed, as I saw a dozen or so all in the same place.

Lots of folks enjoying the dispersed camping in the BigHorns, finding beautiful spots with spectacular views and just settling into them.

Many established federal campgrounds, too, which I have made a mental note of to check out next year when I am not in a rush.

A beautiful area, and one which I had not yet seen.

A stretch of I90, then picked up US 212 in Belle Fourche, SD, yesterday, and spent last night in a little picnic/camping area off a local historical museum turnout…it was 96 degrees when we stopped and did not cool off until well into the evening, but we found a spot under a large tree and managed to get a decent nights sleep.

On across South Dakota on 212 today, which is pretty much a straightaway but with little traffic and almost no RV’s.

Easy driving, minus the major highways…I like.

Beautiful, rolling prairie hills as far as one can see as we approached the Wide Missouri, with herds of cattle and horses dotting the landscape.

On into Minnesota, where we gained an hour and are settled into a beautiful city park with electricity and showers for the bargain price of $20 a night.

Free and cheap overnights have helped offset the price of fuel this trip, tho it is down about $1 a gallon from what I’ve been paying as we traveled today.

At least it is coming down.

Going to meet up with my friends tomorrow, then head into Wisconsin and the UP.

Maggie
Old 08-01-2022, 07:38 AM   #7471
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
The UP? What will you do there?
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #7472
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am working 2 sessions of the Point Iroquois Lighthouse project, then will be done with HistoriCorps projects for this season.

Maggie
Old 08-02-2022, 01:42 PM   #7473
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Ft. Pierce , Florida
You get to work on a lighthouse??!!!! I am so envious. I’m one of those that browse the government auction site for them. My wife has a ‘special’ look/response when I ask her to look at the listing… Have fun and enjoy yourself which, I know, you don’t need me to say. We got lucky coming out of the Big Horn area. Got to the bottom of a switchback highway, stopped to take in some scenery and noticed the tire balloon just before it blew. Thought they’d be good for one more trip. We also left Custer State Park when it was 106. We drove east until it hit 74 before stopping for the night. Makes Florida’s current 90s not too bad. Safe travels and thanks for sharing your experience.
FLCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:12 PM   #7474
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, a lighthouse, and it is pretty darned special to be able to have my hands in it.

Same one I worked on last year, stripping paint and repointing failing stone fencing. This year we are stripping and repainting the tower, if I understand correctly, and perhaps some more of the stone fencing.

I’m looking forward to it, seeing Erin again and Eric the archeologist from the forest service who made me the beautiful spoon out of plum wood.

Had a wonderful visit yesterday with my friends, were on the road early this morning and are just stopped for the night.

There is no fast track in the UP, tho once we were on M28 we made better time.

Traffic was crazy between Marquette and Munising, and diesel fuel there was at least $1 more per gallon, but otherwise there was little traffic to contend with.

Tho repeated stretches of “Elk Crossing” and “Moose Crossing”, where the speed limit was 40 or 45 mph, slowed us down the first half of the day, but no large beasts were in our path, nor any sighted, so we had a long but uneventful day.

Have I said how very, very glad I am that I had new tires put on the Interstate before I left???

There will be 6,000+ miles on them by the time we get home.

Going to walk Miss Lily and then chill out with a glass of wine and some reading.

I deserve it.

Labs in the morning, then a few days to just slow down before showing up at the lighthouse on Sunday.

Lily will be glad, as we have covered a lot of miles since leaving the mountain in Wyoming Friday morning.

Maggie
Old 08-04-2022, 04:17 PM   #7475
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We spent last night in a WalMart in the UP, and are now settled into a little campground until we head to the Lighthouse.

Temps are about 20 degrees cooler here, the lake is in sight , and we will NOT be driving again until Sunday.

A little cleaning, laundry, walks for Miss Lily, propane fill, dump the tanks and we will be ready to go.

Called Renogy Customer Service about my solar suitcase wiring… chomped and ingested by one or more chipmunks last week …after telling me this was not covered by warranty , they determined what was needed to repair, I ordered the parts and they Fed Ex’d them at no charge.

Now, I will need to find someone to do the repair, tho it actually looks pretty straightforward and they even sent me a video showing how to do it, should I want to tackle it myself.

In WalMart yesterday, I spied this scrub and it called to me.

I deserve this, I thought to myself.

It smells as good as it looks, leaving one’s skin soft and fragrant.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DFCA1F7C-2BCF-420B-81D4-6677D32E1E45.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	420484  
Old 08-05-2022, 04:32 AM   #7476
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
When Travis McGee and Jack Reacher novels are not waiting in my library to be read, the Jesse Stone series by Robert Parker are almost as good.

https://www.tlbranson.com/jesse-stone-books-in-order/

Jesse is a likeable, morally-centered-but-somewhat-flawed small-town police chief, who takes hold of problems and deals with them.

Light reading, enjoyable, a nice break from WWII, Holocaust and Resistance novels.

It was 52 when I woke up here this morning, cool enough for the heat pump while drinking my coffee.

Maggie
Old 08-05-2022, 05:25 AM   #7477
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Ft. Pierce , Florida
No doubt you can do the repair! I’m glad you had a good experience with Renogy. We just installed their suitcase, something we’ve been meaning to do for awhile. Of course as we were installing the battery switch and controller (we moved it off the case and into the trailer so we could use the extension cables) we saw that out converter/charger had died. We just got through installing a new power center from WFCO and will try the solar this morning to see if all works. I’m hoping that’s all the surprises because we’re leaving next week for Idaho and area for a couple of months. I can’t wait to be fixing that morning coffee in other than 90 degrees! Might get to try the 212 highway you mentioned depending how we return.

We took a trip West and one of our unplanned and great stops was at the Mojave Desert. I noticed that the campers there had their car/truck hoods raised. So I had to ask. Seems it keeps the mice out and not nesting in the engine area (wiring). Mice had nested in my fathers truck’s wiring and it caused a mess. Good luck with it.
FLCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:31 AM   #7478
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, the pack rats can apparently do quite a lot of damage, but they don’t like light and so keeping the hood propped open is an effective deterrent.

Tho the chipmunks in Wyoming were the big issue.

The experience with Renogy could not have been more positive, really, and tho I have not yet looked at the instructional videos they sent, a neighbor at this campground told me that splicing wiring is pretty straightforward.

So, first I need the parts, then we’ll see.

I like to stay off the major highways, whenever possible, unless I’m in a hurry, as the less-traveled roads are so much more scenic.

Old towns, Opera Houses, courthouses, town squares, structures built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the last century, etc.

Our country’s history.

Maggie
Old 08-06-2022, 10:07 AM   #7479
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I had a lovely visit this morning with two women in a small ClassB across the road from me.

A few years older than I am, both widows, one sold her home and bought the RV, moved in with the other, and they are now traveling with their two dogs.

Both of them, retired CLOWNS.

We shared road and travel wisdom, and I told them about HistoriCorps, of course.

Their little RV has a pale turquoise coffee maker in it, with mugs that match, and dish towels in a slightly darker shade.

I am just finishing a pot holder in these exact shades, so have decided it was meant for them.

Tanks are emptied, fresh water filled and propane topped off, so we will be ready to head to the lighthouse tomorrow.

Making a stop at Dancing Crane CoffeeHouse, on the way.

Great quotes from recent good reads…
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4DDF7686-835C-4A8B-8053-B1C16C03BFAD.jpeg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	420547   Click image for larger version

Name:	928BEA3B-B550-408C-A43F-1485B0A4FC4C.jpeg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	420548  

Name:	ACCDBFA9-20D4-4C12-B00A-BD6C340D933F.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	420549   Click image for larger version

Name:	96715ED2-76AC-446F-B3BE-777BBA0E40D3.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	420550  

Old 08-13-2022, 10:48 AM   #7480
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My first session at the lighthouse ended mid day yesterday, I shook the sand out of the rugs , did some cleaning and then had my first good shower/shampoo of the week before settling down last evening to read for a few hours.

Primary work is being done on the lighthouse tower itself this week, with volunteers on scaffolding high above the ground …so, as “HistoriCorps lite”, as I like to call my role as Kitchen Helper , I worked mornings this week painting sets of steps and the foundation.

All of which can be done from the ground.

A couple of hours in the kitchen in the mornings, 3 hours or so on the project, then a couple of hours in the kitchen again late afternoon, and that is a pretty full day for me.

Completely uneventful, and this nice, fellow-volunteer knew exactly how to replace the connectors on my solar panel, with the parts that Renogy sent…and did so…so that is now up and running again.

We found a couple of more spots where the chipmunks had begun to chew on wiring, so I very fortunately interrupted their activities before they were able to do even more damage.

BAD little chipmunks.

Back at the casino campground down the road for tonight, I was in their parking lot at 6am this morning to do laundry while I waited for the offices to open…and then they let me check in about 9:30 or so.

If you are up this way, the Bay Mills Casino has a very nice, unexciting but inexpensive campground, with clean showers and cheap laundry facilities.

It has been a great spot for me on my way to/from this project.

Will head back up to the lighthouse in the morning, spend some time on the lake with Miss Lily, then our second session begins tomorrow evening.

After which, we will be done with HC projects for this year.

A notice came out earlier in the week that HC has lifted the requirement that all volunteers be fully vaccinated for Covid, so that will make a difference for some wanting to volunteer but declining the vaccine.

More projects are being added every week, apparently fueled by monies from the Great American Outdoors Act https://www.nps.gov/subjects/legal/g...tdoors-act.htm.

HistoriCorps’s busiest year, ever.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3E113C50-8A00-4210-8538-DF346294496B.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	527.5 KB
ID:	420912   Click image for larger version

Name:	929401EE-2B46-4B28-9173-2B30ADEAD6D9.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	420913  

« No Game Changer | Top | - »