Old 05-31-2018, 08:17 PM   #5209

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Maggie, just popped on to update Moraine View and I saw this. So sorry to hear of your accident. Hopefully you might be able to come by next weekend for a visit?

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:35 AM   #5210
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Jack.

Maggie

Old 06-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #5211
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This sounds like a really terrific project...feeding the homeless, one burrito at a time.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt..._campaign=news
Old 06-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #5212
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
This sounds like a really terrific project...feeding the homeless, one burrito at a time.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt..._campaign=news
Maggie,
I like this a lot and have already bookmarked it for a possible project. Thanks

I was so sorry to read about your ďbleedĒ and your accident. I know itís been a long time since Iíve logged in to say anything, but eventually I do read everything you write. Iím usually at least a week behind and rarely feel my comments are relevant by the time Iíve read something. Of course this is different. First of all I wanted you to know that I do keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Second, I hope you wonít continue to beat yourself up over this accident. Itís so normal for most people to trust, and I know it was easy to believe that when you were being motioned on, the coast was clear. The same day I read about your accident a friend of ours had the same experience and was creamed by another car. He and his co-worker were fine but he too was banging himself over the head because he trusted that the person motioning him on knew it was clear. Just a momentary lapse, without major repercussions. Obviously the van is an issue, but I for one have faith you will be able to work out a solution that gets you back traveling. Anyway, I not sure Lilly could adjust to a sedate lifestyle this soon. Hears hoping the insurance company makes this easy, but if not I know you have the tenacity to see it through. Just know there are lots of people in your corner!
Best Wishes,
Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #5213
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you for all of that, Carol, and great to hear from you.

Maggie
Old 06-02-2018, 10:49 PM   #5214
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Maggie,
I am hoping that your insurance company will compensate you well for your loss and that you find another Class B interstate to continue your travels.
I still remember visiting you in your van and how very nice it was. I know it was a home away from home. With a lot of fond memories.
Hang in there girl. We are all glad you are okay
Julie
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:59 AM   #5215
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you Julie, and I have so enjoyed meeting up with your sweet self several times, now.

I have no reason to believe the outcome with State Farm will not be fair, so will be armed with information but give them basic benefit of the doubt unless I have reason to believe otherwise.

I am somewhat loathe to play the social media card with them or with AAA, but don’t know that the words need spoken, regardless, as it’s a commonly accepted fact of life these days.

We Airstreamers, alone, are a very large community, as demonstrated not just with members and other readers here...we travel, we blog and many of us publicly share information in one or more locations.

It's just plain good business for them to do the right thing.

I don’t know that I will be happy in anything other than another Class B, truthfully, tho my mind has drifted to small towables and Dan Engle kindly sent me a link to a very nice little teardrop.

The convenience and efficient nature of the Class B is hard to get past, for me, having had and loved one for 11+ years, but I can’t even really think about a replacement anything right now.

I’m still adjusting to the Interstate being gone....tho the constant reminder of the mass of things in the back bedroom needing to be sorted out and stored makes it hard to forget.

The dust will settle, and options will show themselves...that’s what I think.

Maggie
Old 06-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #5216
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Start sorting stuff from the interstate one bin at a time. You'll almost certainly find things you can toss, and things you will need for the Interstate/Nest/?whatever comes next.

Where is the closest dealer? Perhaps you could preview and review a Nest.... might easily be in your price range with a small loan balance. I'm not fond of using credit but if you've got 70% or more down the rates are very low. Of course Casita has a remarkable track record and bullet proof resale value too. And a six month wait for build most of the time.

Maggie, I know you have probably a zero interest in a trailer... but pricewise? Anyone who has one that is 12 years old and pristine will hanf onto it like a national treasure. I am going to look for bricks and mortar base before too long, and if I still want to travel, I will almost certainly go to a fiberglass trailer with minimal bells and whistles. EZ MAINTENANCE, LOWER COST MAINTENANCE for a single person makes sense to me.

Every RV is really a money pit, but maintaining a fiberglass shell and getting it repaired at any boatyard in the neighborhood is so much lower cost it is stunning. As for hooking up, I have watched a 50ish couple use a jack wheel to push the trailer and align it over the ball. (Level ground only!) And power washing without fear of rivets leaking... and the list goes on and on.

Losing the big HIGH diesel truck in favor of a REAL sensible daily driver that doesn't require a 6 lane highway to make a u-turn... priceless.

Gotta go before I get da fevah real bad!

Paula
Old 06-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #5217
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for those tips, Paula.

I haven’t totally ruled out towing something, but it really has zero appeal to me.

I also have a new RAV4 that I love, with less than 5,000 miles on it, and don’t like the idea of having to get a bigger vehicle....unless I went with a teardrop, which is very cute, but seems impossibly tiny for myself and Lily.

We have never been so much campers as travelers, too, which means you are out in whatever weather Mother Nature dishes out...sitting out several days of something in a teardrop is unimaginable.

I have gravitated to less roaming in the last couple of years, but still think the little bitties would be claustrophobic.

I’ll just have to see what shakes out, and what State Farm has to say.

The Interstate hasn’t even been totaled yet, so getting something else isn’t even really on the table.

Maggie
Old 06-03-2018, 12:37 PM   #5218
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Do you have any pictures of what the sides of the Interstate looked like after the accident? All I've seen is the front view that shows damage to the grille and the front of the engine. Was the entire chassis bent, or are things still straight further back?
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #5219
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
And those SOBs at Toyota have just come out with a new trim level that can tow 3500 lbs.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #5220
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don’t have those pictures, Mimi, tho can tell you all the obvious damage was shown in the picture. The front received all the impact.

I couldn’t open the driver’s side door after the accident, tho, so something was bent or otherwise affected that.

Everything in the back was still working when my daughter and I emptied it out this past Tuesday...I had the vent fan on, used water, flushed the toilet, turned the closet light on.

Then, when we left, I turned the battery back to “store”, just as if I would be returning another day.

Maggie
Old 06-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #5221
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Body shop people can do something they call a "front end clip." Basically, they cut off the damaged front part of a vehicle and splice on the front end of a like vehicle that has been hit in the rear. Maybe your rig would be eligible for something like that--we'll have to wait and see what the experts say.

Just make sure they live up to the conventional definition of expert. I once heard it defined like this:

X is an unknown quantity, and a spurt is a drip under pressure.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:10 PM   #5222
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That might be a solution, and I wouldnít lose my interstate.

Maggie