Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #721
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'll ponder it, Evelyn.

I have had some volunteer work nibbles, which I think would be really, really good, and one of the hospice centers here is wanting prayer shawls.....I will do a few of those.

I think that, now I have started looking, I will find some things to fill the need to be productive....and feel needed, I think, is part of what is going on. Probably a common retirement ailment, it just had not been an issue for me, til.......

I cleaned out a closet yesterday, and schlepped a huge bag of assorted bedding and linens to Goodwill that I have been holding onto for who knows what reason.

Some things set back for grands as they get into places of their own, but mostly long unused items are gone..... others can use them, and that closet is no longer stuffed to overflowing, where things fall on me when I open the door.

Saw my chiropractor this morning, who found an unusually low level of adjustments needed, neck and back.....it's the orthotic levelers. They have changed my life.

And....I purchased comprehensive travel insurance for the trip to Greece, specifically to cover the unlikely need for medical evacuation. As we know, things can change in an instant.

I learned with Doug's death, that shipping a body is relatively inexpensive, but something requiring medical care enroute is an entirely different story.

We carried no such insurance, and went to Paris in 2012 without it. I was prepared to hire medical transport to bring Doug home if he had lived, but required long term, rehabilitative care.

When I mentioned that posibility to his doctor, he reminded me that Doug could receive that long term care in Georgia. Of course he could, but both of us 900 miles from friends and family. Had it become a reality, I would have dug into savings and just paid for it. It's what you do.

One of those things you think will never happen to you....til it does.

Off to Needlework Group.

Maggie
Old 09-02-2015, 11:41 AM   #722
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Today is not Thursday....needlework group is tomorrow.

Maggie
Old 09-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #723
Rivet Master

DON't rush the days! THEY pass quickly enough!
BTW, do you have Medicare? I'm not sure.....does it cover if you are in another country? Hopefully you'll have no need for such things! This is a time for relaxation and (not too wild) fun! God bless. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #724
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Evelyn.

I showed up for needlework group, the parking lot was completely full and I'm thinking....we're going to have a really big group today. A painting class was going on, must also have been something else.

Medicare does not cover anything outside the U.S., but I have other insurance and this travel insurance includes emergency medical as well as evacuation.....all reasonable bases should be covered.

I don't expect to need it, but if I do....I'm taken care of.

I am eating peaches every day, and they are sooooooo delicious.

Maggie
Old 09-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #725
Rivet Master

Maggie...such an idea I have! I'll tag along on your trip...then if you need a nurse...I'm there! LOL! Oh, but, what if I need a nurse? A social worker might not do the trick! Oh,well...just a thought! Guess I'll stay here in Colorado! Besides, my daughter would probably have a "conniption fit" if I left the country. HAHA, anyway, be sure to pack a thorough first aid kit and a complete "what if" medicine kit, to include OTC MEDS FOR "if I catch a cold, if I get indigestion, constipation, diarrhea...you get the idea? in checked baggage. Take an extra 1-2 month supply of any prescription meds you normally take, (in your carry on)!

Oh, and the peaches here in Colorado are also heavenly. I bought a case of peaches and case of pears, grown in Palisades, colorado. Shared with neighbors...they are sooooo good!
God bless. Evelyn.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:12 PM   #726
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You're funny.

As a rather compulsive planner, I have those things pretty well covered.

I have already begun pulling things together.....I just can't help myself.

Maggie
Old 09-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #727
Rivet Master

Hope I made you smile! Ev.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:17 AM   #728
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Oh, and the peaches here in Colorado are also heavenly. I bought a case of peaches and case of pears, grown in Palisades, colorado. Shared with neighbors...they are sooooo good!
God bless. Evelyn.
Mmmm....pears. .

I have a cranberry-pear conserve that I make at Christmas....a freezer jam, really...that has fresh orange juice and grated orange rind in it.

It is delicious on biscuits for Christmas dinner, and beautiful in the jar.

I have not shared any of my peaches , but for the yummy jam, which could almost be a filling for turnovers, braided coffee cake, etc., it is so flavorful. And, most of that will rest in the freezer for gifts at Christmas.

I may make an annual trip for Michigan peaches a part of my retirement travel.

My long time friend who wanted to go to Greece with me has retired from one job after 25 years, went to school to be a paralegal, and now lives off her pension from the first....plus this second employment, which she finds very challenging and fulfilling.

She has a big case going to trial in September, thus can't commit to the trip. If the case settles, she may hop on a plane and join me.

I envy her that challenge and feeling of fulfillment.... just a bit ... as I don't envy her a full time job.

Retirement is a good thing, in lots of ways.

Maggie
Old 09-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #729
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
On retirement, we are agreed....
Old 09-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #730
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Vince.

Yes, indeed.....never look back.

Maggie
Old 09-04-2015, 07:14 AM   #731
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am looking forward to trying a frappe.

And, they have decaf.

Coffee in Athens

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	247257  
Old 09-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #732
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In that closet I cleaned out a couple of days ago were several soft, briefcase-like bags of very good quality, in various sizes, from my work days....which I was also holding on to for who knows why, not that I need them any longer....just waiting for the right place to donate them.

I found just the place....an organization that helps women returning to the workforce. They are delighted to have them, and I feel good about sending them there.

There is a similar place that helps men.....where the last of Doug's nicer things will go....his dress khakis and pants, his favorite...and mine...do-you-trust-me-to-dance-with-your-wife pants from JPeterman , a sports jacket, a few nice shirts that the son and son-in-law did not want. It's time, and Doug would like this.

It makes me sad to look at them, and sad to give them away, but he's not coming back and best for someone to get some use out of them.

I open the closet door, see his things there, and there is still, allways that jolt of moment.....and I think, where did you go, honey?

Life changed in an instant.

Maggie
Old 09-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #733
Rivet Master

Too true. Hugs and love, wrap around you! God bless. Evelyn.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #734
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's going to be hard not to cry, turning his things over. I get teary just handling them.

But....it's the right thing to do, and....somewhere....he is nodding his head and smiling.

Maggie
Old 09-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #735
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I think you are right. I think he is standing up there gushing with pride, surrounded by warm, supportive family and friends. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #736
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, I like to think so....also nudging me in direction at times.

A good man, and I am glad to have had him in my life.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #737
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Took Lily this morning to one of her most favorite places in the world....Petco.

Picked up a few needed things....like the liquid doggie mouthwash and tooth whitener that you add a bit of to their drinking water. Voila! White teeth, and no doggie breath. . Replaced a lost ball and got one of those squishy ones you can put a small treat in, then many pat-pats and loving on from various dog lovers in the store, and a treat from the bowl at the checkout counter.

Doggie heaven.

Picked up my work watch at the jeweler....which I have no reason to wear these days....now with a new battery and small repair, so it is ready to travel with me to where a watch is needed.

Must be on time for some things, other days will be completely unstructured.

Sat down with my PocketEarth app...have I mentioned how very much I love this little app?......downloaded an offline map of Athens, then marked the locations of my hotel, the couple of small group activities (a cooking class and a tavern meal with live music).....and......the location of the Sunday Monastariki flea market/bazaar.

I am so looking forward to the flea market! We went to one in Paris, and it was amazing. Everything from antiques to clothing to foods to artwork to junk, all there to poke around in and amongst vendors and many people.

It will be a fun way to spend my only Sunday in Athens, and perhaps pick up small things for those at home.

I have been yearning for a loaf of good DO bread, and have one with wheat flour and steel cut oats almost ready for the oven.....in spite of the heat..... I'm just doing it, because I want it. A bit hedonistic, but that is okay.

So, I have committed to prayer shawls for the hospice unit here, have one about half done, and have ordered some pretty jumbo yarn skeins to make some more.....I would think those purchases would be tax deductible, right?, if I save the receipt and donation confirmation?? I would think.

These will keep me busy with handwork for awhile, and I can vary patterns so as to avoid too much stress on my hands. Then, it will be time to start on winter things...hats, and a few gift blankies.

I have done enough choring and running this am that I am ready for some deep chair sitting and perhaps an early glass of wine.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #738
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Whole grain bread, tuna salad and fresh peaches.....it's what's for dinner tonight.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	247336  
Old 09-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #739
Rivet Master

Your fresh baked bread looks delicious and Sunday dinner menu is appealing. I don't bake bread, but, do enjoy a nice dark bread once in a while. (Never eat white bread...dark is healthier...like ones you make.
Feeling much in the mood for seafood these days. Recently, Costco has fresh seafood flown in...a treat for us here in the west. Could not help myself...bought a whole wild coho salmon, 4 huge halibut steaks, shrimp, and 2 lobster tails...lobster on menu today....and a nice white wine! Yum! I envy those of you who live near the ocean...east and west, for really fresh seafood.
Nice to see your growing excitement prepping for your trip to Greece! God bless. Evelyn.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:53 PM   #740
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That was last night's supper, actually.

Toast for breakfast this am, then put the rest in the freezer....one of the advantages to being at home.

Have been hard at work this afternoon, modifying my two good pairs of walking sandals so that I can wear them in Greece and not revert to disabling hip pain.

I don't want to wear my Reeboks with the orthotic levelers....because they are hot, they are ugly, I will be wearing nice clothes and even makeup every day....and I will be in Greece.

I found clear, inconspicuous, gel arch supports and heel cushions, that you peel and stick on, but that for the heel cushions is not as simple as it sounds, with shoes without a solid back in them. They must be adhered in place somehow, so as to not slip around when one is walking about in said walking sandals.

I dug out the Joe's Sticky Stuff from the Interstate, and wrestled it into place....if you've ever used this stuff, you know what I mean, it's like Super Glue in a cut to fit gel strip, and just that hard to work with.....but I think that will do the trick.

Two of the heel cushions stacked for my right foot equal the 1/2" that the right leg is shorter than the left, and is thus made up for with the levelers.....that must go in the Reeboks that have had their regular insoles removed.....and that I don't want to take to Greece.

There you have more than you ever wanted to know about about tricks to do with shoes.

Clearing out Doug's side of the closet, his good pair of walking shoes were also in there. Taking them to the grands today, the oldest boy already having Doug's desert boots that he wore to Gunsite, and will soon be able to wear these as he is now....at age 12....in adult men's shoes.

I wonder how long it will take me to move some of my things into Doug's side of the closet. Most of his drawers are still empty, and I am still sleeping on my side of the bed, both at home and in the Interstate.

Sigh.

Maggie