Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2022, 05:04 AM   #7341
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I’ve never heard that term.

I’m not a knitter, but am told it is much easier to rip out with crochet than with knitting.

I’m not certain I am using a small enough hook, yet, as this doesn’t quite lay the way I think it should, so there may be one more tear-out in its future.

I finished “The Innkeepers Daughter”, by Val Wood last night, and it was very good.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...per-s-daughter

Lots of historical detail, and using an old English dialect, for lack of a better term, that kept me looking up words whose meaning I did not know.

And not historical fiction set during WWI or WWII.

Maggie
Old 04-01-2022, 07:02 AM   #7342
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Ripping out knitting is easy. In fact, if the stitches slip off the needle it happens.

Actually knitting is a lot like crochet done sideways. I use a crochet hook frequently to pick up a dropped stitch or to fix a mistake a few rows back.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:56 AM   #7343
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi, Mimi!

Proficient knitter that you are, I will take your word for that.

I did rip it all out this morning whilst watching the news, and started again with a 3.5mm hook.

Much better, supports the pattern more, for lack of a better term.

The sun is shining, then rain again tomorrow so am cleaning, shaking/hanging out rugs, etc., this morning.

Spring will be here soon.

Maggie
Old 04-02-2022, 08:36 AM   #7344
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In the Washington Post this morning is this article about the American Psychiatric Association's DSM addition last year, categorizing grief as “prolonged” when it goes beyond one year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ntal-disorder/

One year? Really???

In the first year after the death of a loved one, one is fortunate if they can just begin to find their footing.

Grief is a process, not an event, a movement through an experience, not a noun with clearly defined edges.

Such a personal experience, and shaped by so many individual and external factors.

The writer of this article describes loss as walking “through a portal through which you cannot return”.

Yep. That is exactly it. From the before, into the after. Bam.

I do believe, personally, that it is important to work on creating over time a reshaped life, to embrace meaningful people and experiences that don’t simply circle around the “before” but enrich one’s existence and provide some framework within which to live…until it’s our turn.

But, again, a process and not an event, likely filled with false starts and beginnings-again, as we find our feet.

We need to be aware, and to work on it, but give ourselves time.

But, a year? Please.

My thoughts.

Maggie
Old 04-06-2022, 10:59 AM   #7345
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have had a lot of rain in central Illinois, more days than not, of late, keeping the yard and it’s debris wet and uninviting.

But, yesterday I decided I must begin, so hauled out the rake and Gorilla Cart…now serving widowed me for its 8th year ..and got one particularly bad corner cleaned up.

Rain today and again tomorrow, but the weekend is expected to be nice and so now that my tools are out of the shed I will make myself finish it and do some trimming before trash and yard waste pickup on Monday.

And, it will feel good.

My son is coming for lunch here in a bit, and I will feed him a simple meal but this delicious cherry crumble dessert that I just felt like making, and did with frozen dark, sweet cherries.

https://simpleandseasonal.com/cherry-crumble/

I finished “Someone Knows”, by Lisa Scottoline last night…it was not exceptional, but okay, and I stayed with it to the end.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-someone-knows

I did find the articulations as it was wrapping up about the meaning and purpose of criminal justice, convictions/punishment of the guilty, etc., of interest and noteworthy.

I particularly liked the notion that punishment channels and confines vengeance.

Exactly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1737463B-4CC1-4AA1-BC56-54B44BA0B554.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	414061  
Old 04-06-2022, 07:20 PM   #7346
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
In the Washington Post this morning is this article about the American Psychiatric Association's DSM addition last year, categorizing grief as “prolonged” when it goes beyond one year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ntal-disorder/

One year? Really???

In the first year after the death of a loved one, one is fortunate if they can just begin to find their footing.

Grief is a process, not an event, a movement through an experience, not a noun with clearly defined edges.

Such a personal experience, and shaped by so many individual and external factors.

The writer of this article describes loss as walking “through a portal through which you cannot return”.

Yep. That is exactly it. From the before, into the after. Bam.

I do believe, personally, that it is important to work on creating over time a reshaped life, to embrace meaningful people and experiences that don’t simply circle around the “before” but enrich one’s existence and provide some framework within which to live…until it’s our turn.

But, again, a process and not an event, likely filled with false starts and beginnings-again, as we find our feet.

We need to be aware, and to work on it, but give ourselves time.

But, a year? Please.

My thoughts.

Maggie
Agree with you completely. Recovery has many stops and starts, and grief will jump out and knock you sideways even when you feel you are actually "recovering". Going back to normal never happens; moving forward to your new normal does.

Making no progress after a year could be a warning - but being.comforted for an afternoon asking cookies with friends or getting the car tuned up and detailed.... yes those little.steps should be starting, even if not fully felt.

Paula
Old 04-06-2022, 07:23 PM   #7347
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
And the infinity scarf should.be awesome. You could have just finished it with the bigger hook for a plus size friend... [emoji190]
Old 04-07-2022, 05:00 AM   #7348
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Paula!

Grief is such a personal journey, so many internal and external factors affecting how we each, individually get thru it.

And, as with any other trauma, there are always triggers which then require their own, brief “recovery” of sorts.

I still have those occasional moments, 8 years on.

I came across something in my wallet the other day which I’ve been carrying since before Doug died, but which he once held in his hand.

I impulsively picked it up, kissed it and said “hi, honey.

Life.

The infinity scarf is going to be lovely, worn as a shoulder wrap rather than a scarf.

I tore it out again, and am now doing the pattern horizontally across the long side, as it was stretching out too much.

This is going to work, and I’m about halfway done.

Maggie
Old 04-07-2022, 10:25 AM   #7349
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This just out of my oven, a half recipe of this delicious Oatmeal Bread I have posted before…one loaf, made traditionally and baked in my medium cast iron skillet.

https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/wprm_print/28122

A half recipe made up just fine, and tho I’ll have to slice and freeze most of it two loaves are just not rational unless I am having company.

Milk, a little honey and butter, rolled oats and whole wheat flour.

This is a nutritionally balanced, life-sustaining bread.

Everyone should know how to make some kind of basic bread. IMHO.

I am not into catastrophizing/believing the sky is falling, but one can’t help but be aware of what is going on in the world and how it all may affect our lives and particularly food supplies.

People in the Ukraine are suffering terribly, and in ways most of us in this country have not experienced in our lifetimes.

We’re a very long way from real hardship or starvation, but choices in the supermarkets have been affected for a couple of years, now.

So when I open a new bin of oats of whatever kind, a bag of wheat or unbleached white flour, etc., it goes on my shopping list so that I always have an extra in my pantry.

Just seems the prudent thing to do in these times, to maintain some level of preparation, for ourselves and possibly others.

For whatever may come, from whatever direction.

And if you have more than you need, consider donating some $ to an entity like the International Red Cross.

https://www.icrc.org/en/donate

With regard to the infinity scarf/shawl/cape thing, I realized this morning that during my last ripping out I got down to a 2.5 mm hook, so for anyone who may try this pattern that size hook still yields a pretty soft and well defined pattern.

It’s going to be lovely,and warm.

Somewhere in me lurks the spirit of a medieval housewife.

I’m not into selfies, but may have to put on a little makeup and take one when this is done.

While bread dough was rising this morning, I hauled firewood, walked Miss Lily and worked some on my outside raking chores.

My son is bringing his eldest Saturday morning to trim my tall grasses and do a few small carpentry things outside for me…things I could wrestle with and do myself, if I had to, but my sweet son is willing and it is a good Dad/son thing to do together, and for the boy to do for his Grandma.

Practice small life skills, do something helpful for a family member.

A good thing.

I will pull some cookie dough out of the freezer so there are warm, fresh ones when they are done.

It’s what Grandmas do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6572D212-D969-450A-88D9-128547E29B94.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	458.7 KB
ID:	414118  
Old 04-10-2022, 02:58 PM   #7350
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The heaviest of my yard work and the light carpentry outside are done…6 or 7 heaping gorilla carts crammed full of leaves hauled by yours truly the past few days.

It looks much better, tho small bits and fine tuning are still to be done.

I tell myself to be glad I can still do it.

Did get some crochet done over the weekend, and watched the movie “Argo” on Netflix. Wow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argo_(2012_film)

If you haven’t seen it, it is excellent, made even better in that it is a true story.

When the Iran hostage crisis began, I was finishing college, two youngsters in tow, setting out on a new chapter of my life.

I remember it vaguely, busy with things other than closely following the news , and not the facts about which this movie was made at all, tho it was classified information for many years.

Really, really good movie.

Snow and ice on my car yesterday morning, and down to freezing again last night, tho nicer today and we are looking at more spring-like weather this week winter is likely not over just yet.

I have an appointment later this month to have Peterbilt put Rock Guard on both side running boards and bumpers on the Interstate, which will tag beautifully with the front and rear bumpers done with this last year.

Will be a tremendous cosmetic upgrade.

They are very busy in the body shop over there, but I got in for an estimate soon after returning home and am glad they are able to get me in before I am off on summer adventures.

My sweet Lily can no longer get on my bed, and tho several have suggested I get her steps or a ramp I am very happy to no longer have her crowding me nor leaving copious amounts of dog hair on my bed.

She rotates between this bed and the floor, always staying close to her Mama.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9F7F441A-84D9-4E77-9556-B17966DF4A76.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	387.0 KB
ID:	414267  
Old 04-14-2022, 03:10 PM   #7351
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It has been one of those busy, a bit difficult weeks, where I have almost felt enveloped in a huge cobweb, for lack of a more apt description.

Almost everything I needed to do required pushing through and/or against something or other, like a cobweb you walk into and have to flail around in to shed.

I have been planning to change banks for several years, but have put it off because of the HUGE pia in involved in closing accounts and opening new ones.

My old bank I have had since I first moved here in the late 70’s to go back to college is just not as user friendly as the credit union that has my HELOC, which is smaller, more personable and just generally more helpful in all ways.

Every ACH debit for regularly recurring bills, which all of mine are, had to be changed manually for the new account, of course, plus direct deposits rerouted.

Some of these required creating online accounts where I previously had none, because the original debits were before you could do them yourself.

What. A. Job.

But, in the past three days I got all tasks for all accounts completed, including a trip to the Xfinity office locally this morning because their system would not allow me to make changes online and 45 minutes on the phone trying without success to reach a human at tech support who could fix whatever in their system was amiss.

Yikes.

Xfinity staff did tell me as we chatted that I can change my plan with them for my winter and summer trips, stopping everything but the landline while I am gone, which is something I was unaware of.

And which will save me a lot of money in what are routinely 60-90 day trips.

I erroneously thought there would again be start up fees, but they told me as long as I keep my equipment it’s just a matter of turning service off and back on.

Doug was still on the accounts at the old bank, because someone here very wisely told me not to take his name off, but 8 years out there is unlikely to be anything come in with his name on it.

And if there is, I will deal with it.

I’ve ordered new checks for the new account, added a little rose emblem on them next to my name , a new debit card, and I’ll be all set.

I still write checks for things like haircuts, firewood, direct services such as tree/shrub trimming, also for some donations and when traveling for federal campgrounds and others that do not accept my visa or debit card.

Old habits die hard, as they say, and I am much more comfortable writing a check than forking over cash that can’t be tracked.

It’s been a busy week, but everything is coming together as Friday approaches.

I tell myself “I am a woman, and I can do this”.

Weather has been all over the place, with a hard freeze last night, but the yard is nearly done and spring choring well underway.

I am excited about getting the body work done on the Interstate later this month, and then the countdown to head west the end of May.

One of my professional-helper circle told me the other day that I was the only one of his clients who traveled the country in an RV.

I told him that his others just don’t know what they are missing.

I told him traveling is a privilege for which I am grateful, and that I don’t take it for granted for a second.

And, that is absolutely true.

And 8 years out, I feel in a pretty good place at this point in time.

A good thing.

I have been reading “Silver Lies” by Ann Parker the last few nights, and it is very good.

One of a series of 8 books that I will have to read the rest of.

Set in Leadville, SD, after the Civil War, one of the main characters is a smart, savvy saloonkeeper who just happens to be a woman.

Very good, interesting and a bit unusual.

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Lies-R.../dp/1590582780

Maggie
Old 04-14-2022, 05:22 PM   #7352
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sterling , Connecticut
Hi!

I’m hoping you wouldn’t mind answering a crochet question. I recently bought a knitting machine that makes hats like these.

Name:	BA227B58-77DE-4013-BA70-1663DB1CE324.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	530.9 KB
ID:	414451

I end up with lots of small amounts of yarn that are only enough for baby or toddler hats. For baby hats, seems like the proportion of the hat is wrong because the machine basically increases the diameter of the hat the more rows you knit. The solution seems to be to crochet the last few rows of the hat instead of knitting them.

Name:	F44E26DB-B55F-47F9-BE64-3168F2F33E84.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	491.2 KB
ID:	414452

For the hat in the picture above, the crochet was increased one stitch every fourth stitch. That seemed to be OK using the number three yarn that was in this hat. What I’m trying to figure out is how do I know how many stitches to increase in each row so that the brim flares out but doesn’t become too ruffled? If you have any guesses, I’d appreciate it. I have another hat that is number 5 chunky yarn and I want to add a similar brim.

Thanks,

Mary
sterlinghick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 05:29 PM   #7353
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm…the attachment links are invalid, so I can’t see what you are talking about.

I also know absolutely nothing about knitting machines.

When I crochet hats, I increase for the first maybe 4 rows, the remainder of the rows are all the same number of stitches, until the hat is as large as I want it.

The increased rows in the crown dictate the overall size of the hat.

Does that make sense?

You could experiment with crocheting your brim, whatever you think would work, as if it doesn’t you can tear it out and try again.

Maggie
Old 04-14-2022, 05:34 PM   #7354
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sterling , Connecticut
Do you change the number of increases based on the size of the yarn or is it always the same? I haven’t crocheted anything since I was about 10 and I’m more than a little bit lost.
Old 04-14-2022, 05:39 PM   #7355
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would say “yes”, tho I do mostly single or double threads of basic yarn, depending on if I am making hats for Midwest winters or southeast winters.

Nothing is engraved in stone, you can do what works for the size hat you want.

I also will use a larger or smaller hook, depending on the weight of the yarn and the stitch I am using.

Grab a hook and your yarn, do a few rows and see how it looks.

Tear it out if it doesn’t look right and start again.

I now can see your pictures. Give me a minute.

Maggie
Old 04-14-2022, 05:47 PM   #7356
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It’s difficult for me to figure out much by looking at the pictures.

The top picture shows hats that seem to be on the same principle as what I make, with increases for each row just for the crown, then remaining rows are all done with the same of number of stitches each row.

The hat gets longer, not wider.

I have made brimmed baby hats like that in the past, but not for awhile.

You might Google free baby hat patterns and see what instructions on others tell you.

Good luck!

Maggie
Old 04-14-2022, 06:01 PM   #7357
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sterling , Connecticut
Thanks for confirming what I thought…both the yarn size and hook size matter. In case you were curious, last year I got fascinated by circular sock knitting machines. I really wanted to buy one, but they are extremely expensive (starting at about $1500 and going up from there). Since I wasn’t sure that I would even enjoy it, I didn’t want to take the plunge. The hat knitting machines are comparatively inexpensive and it is the same principle. I am really enjoying it, I find it super relaxing. Since most of the hats will be donated to charity, it’s a win-win for everyone.
Old 04-14-2022, 06:28 PM   #7358
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good for you, and have fun with it.

There is a meditative quality to crochet for me, a centering of oneself thru the activity that is good.

You’ll figure it all out.

Maggie
Old 04-14-2022, 08:03 PM   #7359
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
”and watched the movie “Argo” on Netflix. Wow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argo_(2012_film)

Really, really good movie.
Maggie,

I read the book a few years back and the story was pretty fascinating. I’ll definitely watch the movie this week. I’m sure you’d enjoy reading the book also.

I just finished a book I would recommend to you. It’s called ‘Mountains Beyond Mountains’ by Tracy Kidder, and it’s follows the life of Dr. Paul Farmer. Amazing man and unfortunately he passed away recently. But the impact he had on the world was phenomenal.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 04:48 AM   #7360
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for that recommendation, Carol, and I’ll look for that book.

Silver Lies is actually set in Leadville, Colorado, not South Dakota.

I didn’t even know there was a Leadville in Colorado.

Maggie