Old 05-11-2018, 07:15 AM   #5139
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Been busy since we returned home, with yard work, medical appointments and inside spring chores...carpet steamers were here yesterday, prior to which I moved all the furniture, vacuumed thoroughly and cleaned the mouldings in my bedroom and the living room, taking the bed completely apart to get under there where Lily often sleeps.

A job, and my shoulders ache, but good for my aging self, and it makes me happy to know all the edges, nooks and crannies are clean. I like.

Interstate has had the tanks emptied, still needs to be cleaned and has a routine routine service appointment scheduled, yard work is not yet done and I have 5 medical appointments scheduled over the next few days.

I feel like I don’t know where to turn or what to do first...just get up and tackle something, is the plan.

I prefer order to chaos, and hopefully will be at that point in about a week.

On another note, watching something on TV last evening reminded me of when Doug was stricken and the early minutes after...

Tho I was sitting next to him on the couch, when I first realized something was wrong he was gasping...what I now know to have been pre-death, Cheyne-Stokes Respiration.

His lapse into a deadly cardiac arrhythmia had no warning, and was completely silent. If I had been gone to the shower, walking the dog, etc., he would have been dead when I got back.

I screamed out the door for help, called 911, the gasping had stopped, he was turning blue, I pulled him into a laying position and began CPR.

30 year old CPR, which was when I had last had a class....the old “one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three” rate of compression.

When a husband and wife nurse couple in an RV nearby arrived soonafter, they took it over and I quickly realized how outdated my training was, as what they did was completely different, the recommended rate of compressions now being 100 per minute...about to the beat of the old disco tune “Staying Alive”.

He was still alive when EMT’s arrived, so my initial something was better than nothing, they told me, but I knew I could have done better for him...whether it would have made a difference, I’ll never know.

When I returned home, after the funeral and dust had begun to settle, I registered for a Red Cross CPR/AED class, was properly retrained in current methods, and certified.

I learned then, and have read/seen many times since, that most people survive because of the intervention of bystanders, and even an untrained, uncertified person can save a life, using the simple “hands-only” technique until help arrives.

My Public Service Announcement for today, this short video from the American Red Cross...

Old 05-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #5140
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
I did have a good time Maggie.

Got out for under a hundred bucks and 16 items so not too bad.

I too don't need too much but there were a couple of things that were either right for home or right for the trailer.

I only go there once every year or more.

Things I did not get but admired were lots of glass storage containers. Those are not good for the trailer pantry with regard to weight.

They have so many nice plastic containers for storage now that when the time comes I will shop thriftily for those.

These were the little items that I wanted but did not justify and left at the store.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180512_155051.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	310820

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #5141
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad you had fun, and found some goodies.

I have several milk bottles I bought at the Meier store here...about 12 ounces, with a silicone cap that pulls down over the top and looks like milk.

They seal very tightly. I put milk or cream in them, sometimes an iced coffee that I will later drink right from the bottle....liquids get so much colder when stored in glass.

I’m a sucker for unusual or pretty glass.

Maggie
Old 05-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #5142
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is going on at the prison about 60 miles south of me, and it is getting a lot of local and national coverage...allowing mothers to raise their babies behind bars.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5a2df070e8ae

I am all for it.

Encouraging/nurturing/facilitating, rather than disrupting it placement, the mother/infant attachment process may prove to be a valuable preventer to relapse once the mother is released.

It will be interesting to see what the long term success of this program is.

I am optimistic.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #5143
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Things have mostly returned to order here, tho it has been busy with at least one appointment almost every weekday since we have been home from Edisto.

In and amongst other pressing things, when we got home my usually well-manicured yard looked as if a couple of 10 year olds had been turned loose on it, unsupervised.

Grass length was uneven in large patches, and trimming around the rock border and fence had been left undone in the first two mows of the season, both while I was gone....grasses 10-12” high left in place. It looked unkempt and neglected.

I sent some pictures to my yard guy, who admitted there had been a new crew on my route that had not apparently had their work checked. I have to think they had not a clue as to how the yard was to look when they left it.

I had to tear into it, of course, and pulled a lot by hand, no longer owning a trimmer, and when they returned for the next mow, the supervisor of the crew apologized, did it all himself, and left my yard immaculate.

I like that kind of service...mistakes happen, but make it right, and they did.

So, we’re back to neat and tidy, with the yard properly mowed, bags of cedar mulch and top soil spread where needed, tree branches trimmed, etc., etc.

And, the house inside is reasonably restored to order. Much better.

On another note....our very own mimiandrews is as I write moving into her new house. I am happy for her, but do not envy her one tiny bit. The very thought of trying to pack up this house makes my eyes cross and head spin.

Kudos to her for having a dream, and making it happen. I wish you strength, Mimi.

I saw my PCP yesterday, for the first time since my little brain bleed the end of December. Tho I have been in the office several times, I have only seen the nurse practitioners.

We had a long talk about the stroke and the hospitalization, itself. He told me something no one else has....that blood is very toxic to the brain, and because of this my left eye may never be 100%...that when I am tired, the double vision may return and/or the eye might drift a bit in socket. That sounds delightful.

I have experienced the vision issue sometimes, reading in the evening and having momentary trouble focusing on the words...which I can correct by intently focusing on focusing.

But still, that this could be permanent is a bit daunting to think about, and thank goodness it was so tiny.

Life.

Lastly, I believe there is going to be a great adventure in store for Lily and I mid-summer....something I have never done before, that she can join me in.

It will be something of a physical challenge, for me, and an exercise for the Interstate.

I’m not going to post the what and the where, but wait til after it comes to fruition....God willing and the creek don’t rise, as they say.

I’m cautiously excited about it, as lots can happen to interfere with plans.

If it all comes together as it should, I think it will be an amazing experience.

A stretching and reaching into life....a good thing.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #5144
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
On another note....our very own mimiandrews is as I write moving into her new house. I am happy for her, but do not envy her one tiny bit. The very thought of trying to pack up this house makes my eyes cross and head spin.

Kudos to her for having a dream, and making it happen. I wish you strength, Mimi.

Thanks, Maggie.

The big UHaul truck and I made it to the new place just after noon today. Daugter and her family came out to help unload, and some neighbors pitched in also. The truck is empty and waiting for me to take it to town to turn it in. Rides back to my car have been arranged.

The furniture is in the house, and re-assembled as much as possible. I need a few hardware bits from town to finish putting the couch back together and also a new dryer vent to convert from rear discharge to side discharge. So, stuff yet to be done, but I'm here.

My former residence has enough left in it for me to live there while I clean up and get the rest of the stuff moved or otherwise disposed of. I'll probably be about a week at each place for a while.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:07 PM   #5145
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I was going to post when we got settled this evening, that Lily and I are on our way to darling daughters for the long holiday weekend.

We left yesterday mid morning, spent the night in a Walmart in eastern Indiana and had a campground selected in Pennsylvania for tonight.

Just off the exit, at the stop sign, traffic was insane from both directions, I’d been sitting there a minute or so when a big semi coming from my right stopped to let me go....and I turned left, right into the path of another semi.

His trailer caught the front of the Interstate and just sliced it off. Oil and whatever other fluids flooded the street. Nothing behind the front end was damaged at all.

In my head, I thought traffic to the left was stopped. Had been on the road 8 hours, maybe I was a little tired.

The cops were great, I got a $25 ticket, don’t have to appear for anything. They said there are a lot of accidents at that intersection, which probably needs stop lights.

If I had been a bit faster, or he a bit slower, he would have hit me in the driver’s seat and it would have been bad.

The other rig suffered no damage, I have a busted lip but Lily has no injuries.

It looks totaled, been towed to this lot, necessary items gathered up and we are in a hotel for the night.

Daughter is on her way here, we are going to get what we need from it on the morning and go back to her place. I will rent something to drive home in, and pick up the rest of what's inside on the way back.

I’ve had this nagging feeling for a couple of months that disaster was at my elbow and have mentioned that here. Since we left home, I have been fearing something big was going happen....something was going to fall off, blow up, something like the frig or ac was going to go out....I chalked it up to ptsd, the stroke last year, or something else not real.

I remember, however, having the same feeling that something huge was going to happen, in the few months before Doug died.

I just had the Interstate in to Peterbilt for an oil and filter change, tires rotated, brakes checked, everything looked at, etc., so felt as prepared as I could be, and we’d had no problems.

An accident was not in my vision field. This was a near miss, and will be the end of an era as I do not look to replace this. I can’t afford the new rigs, nor do I want all the bells and whistles.

AAA has been notified, and State Farm. We will see what shakes out.

It all feels a bit surreal at this time.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4BF6CE72-07E2-4722-BC92-5B68EF0303ED.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	311921  
Old 05-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #5146
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Oh Maggie,

So sorry to hear of your accident but so glad no one was seriously injured. I do hope you can see your way clear to replace your Interstate. Hopefully your insurance will enable you to get another similar unit so that current new prices will not come into play. Your travels have been such a big part of your life and we have always enjoyed riding along.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:35 PM   #5147
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
I am so sorry for your accident. And glad that you, for the most part are ok. I hope that the insurance can provide enough to replace your baby with something similar. I am sure you have much to think about.
kstewart23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #5148
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Maggie & Lily glad you were not hurt bad; but poor Interstate. Take care and keep intouch. Will miss you at camp outs.

Mike & Dana
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:01 PM   #5149
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Oh my Maggie and Lily. What an event. Thank God it was just the front end and not you. Or prayers go out to you. The interstate looks terrible but saved you.

Scary and trying times but hopefully not the end of an era just a change.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:17 AM   #5150
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
So glad that wasn't more serious or timed differently. Thinking of you and Lily.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:41 AM   #5151
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Maggie, keep firmly in mind the Interstate is just ‘stuff’. Stuff is replaceable. You and Lily are not. I must admit, that much damage, and you being mostly just shaken up is testament to the fact that the Interstate saved you.

Be glad you are ok!!!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:40 AM   #5152
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
So glad you are ok. Thoughts and prayers

Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote