Old 04-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #5125
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is very little change in the campground, and none on the beach that I can see, from the hurricane in 2016.

Some things are noticeably “new” in the campground, but the palmettos and trees seem largely intact....I feared they would be gone.

We’ve had a walk on the beach, and Lily has run herself to exhaustion, playing in the water and chasing the waves.

I had been telling her we were going to the beach, but I could tell she didn’t remember the word/place....til we got here.

I want to visit this memorial...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...=.c8bc1384f7ca

I have the Ida B. Wells book on lynchings in the south, but haven’t yet finished it over the years I’ve had it....it must be digested in pieces.

Maggie

Old 05-01-2018, 04:14 AM   #5126
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Hi Bud!

If you like birds, Harpeth River Bridge COE west of Nashville is a pretty campground and a great place to see them...including the goldfinches, there are lots of water birds, at least one of which I believe was a great blue heron.

Maggie
Actually both Alice and I are "bird watchers" and I'm a bird photographer so Harpeth is now on the list. We bought a place in FL to winter with our AS and one of the deciding factors was the bird life. Eagles and Ospreys all over the place along with many kinds of water birds.

Enjoy

Bud

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:00 AM   #5127
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
They do a “Blessing of the Fleet” here, as the shrimp harvest begins...

https://lowcountryshrimpfestival.com/blessing/

I like it.

Maggie
Old 05-02-2018, 07:41 AM   #5128
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I caught an interview with Amanda Knox on the news this morning, about this upcoming series she is doing...The Scarlet Letter Stories.

https://www.bustle.com/p/amanda-knox...minism-7580896

It’s about her, and other women’s, stories of vilification for whatever reason by the media. And, of course, it doesn’t just happen to women, and it doesn’t require media involvement to wreak havoc on a persons life.

There was a young college student where I live, who years ago was charged and ultimately convicted for the murder of a former girlfriend....eventually overturned, and he fully vindicated thru the efforts of one of those law school projects that take on cases such as this.

He was eventually found innocent, based on facts and evidence that police and public prosecutors had withheld from the defense and manipulated to their advantage as they zeroed in on him, and only him.

The prosecutions story always reeked of something not quite right, but the young man was convicted, regardless, and I think spent 13 years in prison before the efforts of others got him released.

What caught my attention was Amanda Knox’s reference in the interview this morning to women in this situation having to simultaneously live two personas when interacting with anyone....the real self, and the media representation of them.

Interesting, and absolutely true, male or female....if you’ve ever been caught up in false allegations that became public, you know how devastating and permanently life altering that can be...add to that spin-off rumors, half truths and outright lies, all of which are subconsciously defended against forever.

I posted a quote here some time ago about liars always getting to tell their story first, and that is true, especially when there’s a power imbalance.

On a smaller scale....I absolutely despise the chronic rumor-mongering, nit-picking at others and gossip that some groups seem to find entertaining and self-elevating.

That is the same thing, on a smaller scale, but it can be equally destructive.

For example, what possible group benefit is there from ostracizing, vilifying and isolating an older man because “he talks too much”, or anyone else who has caused no harm to anyone?

Do people feel better about themselves by treating others this way?

We need to work to be objective, and to be kind, to be accepting of the differences in others, and to be compassionate, but it is effort well-placed...it ultimately makes us better people, and the world a better place.

My public service announcement for the day.

Maggie
Old 05-02-2018, 07:58 AM   #5129
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I think that in "these days", if $$$ is involved, someone is going to get @#$% at any cost. If one is settled, others are going to try to get on the "band wagon"
Today, we have Cosby. Browkow, Dr ?, Trump and Priests etc. And now it is not just the individuals, it is any one or thing associated with them.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #5130
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily is enjoying being still a few days....four or so walks each day, at least a couple of those on the beach, and she’s a happy girl.

I’m on my third book...

Every site has been filled every night, but while the one across the way is temporarily emptied I snapped a view from my chair (outside) of “the marsh side”.

There have been 4-6 Class B motorhomes here every day...Pleasureway, Roadtrek, Chinook, Winnebago and one black Interstate extended that I have seen.

If you plan a stay here, and you are small, I recommend sites on the dunes side...they are not subject to the traffic that the rest of the sites are.

Golf carts and vehicles are a distraction from the otherwise peace and beauty of this place, tho it is high season and the campground full...

Weather has been perfect, cool at night and in the 80’s during the day....and the humidity the area is known for has not yet descended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FCCBF216-46EA-452F-8E4A-8804B27BFE19.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	546.9 KB
ID:	310063   Click image for larger version

Name:	B6CA5BEC-49BC-4EE2-ABB6-8FDCA6167881.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	521.0 KB
ID:	310064  

Old 05-06-2018, 04:28 AM   #5131
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I caught an interview with Amanda Knox on the news this morning, about this upcoming series she is doing...The Scarlet Letter Stories.

https://www.bustle.com/p/amanda-knox...minism-7580896

It’s about her, and other women’s, stories of vilification for whatever reason by the media. And, of course, it doesn’t just happen to women, and it doesn’t require media involvement to wreak havoc on a persons life.

There was a young college student where I live, who years ago was charged and ultimately convicted for the murder of a former girlfriend....eventually overturned, and he fully vindicated thru the efforts of one of those law school projects that take on cases such as this.

He was eventually found innocent, based on facts and evidence that police and public prosecutors had withheld from the defense and manipulated to their advantage as they zeroed in on him, and only him.

The prosecutions story always reeked of something not quite right, but the young man was convicted, regardless, and I think spent 13 years in prison before the efforts of others got him released.

What caught my attention was Amanda Knox’s reference in the interview this morning to women in this situation having to simultaneously live two personas when interacting with anyone....the real self, and the media representation of them.

Interesting, and absolutely true, male or female....if you’ve ever been caught up in false allegations that became public, you know how devastating and permanently life altering that can be...add to that spin-off rumors, half truths and outright lies, all of which are subconsciously defended against forever.

I posted a quote here some time ago about liars always getting to tell their story first, and that is true, especially when there’s a power imbalance.

On a smaller scale....I absolutely despise the chronic rumor-mongering, nit-picking at others and gossip that some groups seem to find entertaining and self-elevating.

That is the same thing, on a smaller scale, but it can be equally destructive.

For example, what possible group benefit is there from ostracizing, vilifying and isolating an older man because “he talks too much”, or anyone else who has caused no harm to anyone?

Do people feel better about themselves by treating others this way?

We need to work to be objective, and to be kind, to be accepting of the differences in others, and to be compassionate, but it is effort well-placed...it ultimately makes us better people, and the world a better place.

My public service announcement for the day.

Maggie
Not trying to be political here, but this is a true story about who Robert Mueller really is. One of my close friends worked on this case trying to free the innocent. As you said Maggie, it does not happen to just women.

http://www.americanlibertyreport.com...omes-to-light/

Love the pictures of Lily lying in the sun. Our two do this until Abby, our black one, gets hot to the touch. ENJOY.

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:54 AM   #5132
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Bud!

We left Edisto yesterday morning, much later than planned because as I was handling final tasks a woman came over to talk with me.

Wondering at my traveling alone (but for Lily), she also a widow of just over four years, married to her second husband for 20 years when he died suddenly when they were traveling far from home.

Fortunately, her son was with them and drove their 40 footer back to Nebraska, as she had never driven it...and hasn’t since he died.

We shared widow stories, cried a bit, and hugged. Time well spent.

We are all much more alike than we are different.

Then, headed to the Shrimp Festival and Blessing of the Fleet in McClellanville, which was so hot, packed and busy by the time we got there that I did a drive thru and kept on going.

It looked like it would have been fun to peruse the vendors, and I undoubtedly would have sound somehing shrimpy good to eat, and a little artsy something to spend my money on.

McClellanville is a very pretty, low country town, and I’ll have to go back to explore it again....carefully minding where I park, as there are many signs prohibiting anything longer than 20 feet from being parked along the streets anywhere in town.

Next, the Blue Beacon in Columbia, for a head to toe scrub of my very dirty Interstate. They have an undercarriage wash there.

Much better.

We are working our way home, spent last night in a little, family owned campground, on into Tennessee today.

Maggie
Old 05-06-2018, 10:40 PM   #5133
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Maggie

I enjoyed your public service announcement and thanks for the information on the Lynching Memorial. Now safe travels for you and Lily.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:35 AM   #5134
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Dan, and thank you.

Some things just strike a chord...

What are you and your sweet wife up to these days?

I’m hoping late next winter to get back to coastal Virginia to visit with my distant cousin who lives on family land owned 350 years....maybe our paths will cross and we could catch up.

I am actually right now in the corner of Virginia that shelters Cumberland Gap NHP, where we spent last night...going to get on the major highways and driv the rest of the way home today, or at least that’s the plan.

Maggie
Old 05-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #5135
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are home...Cumberland Gap to our house, in one day...11 or so hours, including several, brief, potty and leg-stretching breaks.

First stop of the morning was for a gas station cappuccino/coffee mix....sweet, delicious, and considered road food in my family.

And, because I could smell food in there, but could see none, I asked about hot food...the guy behind the counter pointed to a small kitchen and said “tell her whatcha want, and she’ll fix it”....a short time later, I left with a substantial, foil wrapped bacon and egg sandwich, the bacon very crispy and eggs done exactly as I had asked, by the one woman there, for the bargain price of $3.

Yum, and Lily was thrilled.

A beautiful early morning drive thru eastern Tennessee, reminding me of why I love that area and making me think I need to plan a trip back to peruse it more closely and identify more family heritage spots....before the ancestors headed on flatboats down the big rivers to southern Mississippi, they had moved to and farmed in this area after the Revolutionary War.

I would love to thoroughly roam the back roads, stop at lots of local museums and antique shops, read all the historic interest signs, etc....I’m gonna do it, going to get a paper map of Tennessee, and plan it out.

Lily is glad to be home...she has had her dinner, pottied in her own back yard and put herself to bed under mine.

A long day of driving, plus a pack of coyotes howling in the night, have left her a pooped pup.

Good to be home.

Maggie
Old 05-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #5136
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Welcome home, Maggie! I enjoyed following along on your trip. Someday we will have to do Edisto.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #5137
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Maggie

Glad that you and Lily got home ok.

I just returned from a trip to Texas for the Old Settlers Music Festival, visiting our son and his wife in Fort Worth and left our Airstream at Matney’s Upholstery in Bridgeport, Tx for new soft goods.

I am retired and a wanderer; Brenda is still teaching. Her last workday is June 8 and I have a site reserved at Cade’s Cove in the SMNP for 2 weeks. We will camp and wander the rest of the summer as much I can get her to agree to.

Let me know when you will be passing through Lynchburg. We have room for you to park here and our little Bandit Beagle would enjoy Lily, I am sure.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:39 AM   #5138
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good for you, Dan, and congratulations to Brenda!

Cades Cove is beautiful, and should be a very serene place to celebrate a retirement.

May see you next March.

Maggie