Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2022, 04:42 AM   #7241
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Project wrapped up mid-day yesterday, and as it began to rain we all went our separate ways.

Drove south a couple of hours and settled into a Georgia SP for the night, complete with electricity and hot showers.

It has been a very busy few weeks since leaving home, and I am ready for some down time, visiting with friends I have not seen in a long time and just overall lack of structure.

Signing in here yesterday, this gorgeous mug called to me, and I bought it.

What can I say…beautiful mugs to sip coffee and tea out of are kind of my thing, and Georgia is a favorite state.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	46DDECF3-D4CF-410C-BE9C-B9D13EA9E52E.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	410833  
Old 01-23-2022, 05:09 AM   #7242
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are now in the Florida panhandle, on the Gulf, and it is not any warmer here…30 degrees as I type.

However, we will be here three nights on a clean, gravel site, visiting and catching up, and so the long drive days are over for awhile.

Friday I washed up general laundry as well as rugs and towels dirty from wet boots and a muddy dog, then yesterday morning at my Alabama SP did bedding for $.75 to wash and $1.50 to dry it all.

Dropped off a full bag of hats and scarves at the Rescue Mission in Dothan, and then stopped at the UPS store and shipped all my bulky HistoriCorps work gear home to my son.

Just no room for all that in this tiny space for the next couple of months.

Going to do some cooking and a lot of conversing, and I am sooooo looking forward to it.

Lily will be happy to be still for a few days, and to catch up on her naps.

Maggie
Old 01-23-2022, 05:27 PM   #7243
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
We are now in the Florida panhandle, on the Gulf, and it is not any warmer here…30 degrees as I type.

However, we will be here three nights on a clean, gravel site, visiting and catching up, and so the long drive days are over for awhile.
Maggie,

That looked like quite a project and a beautiful tower to be working on. That may be one of the nicest WPA buildings I’ve seen. Can’t say I envy you the weather at all. Way too cold for this Florida girl, especially since I have no snow clothes. Sounds like you may now be nearby my neck of the woods. Of course the Florida panhandle is pretty long. Currently I’m at my mother’s house in south Florida and I don’t look forward to going home while it’s still cold. Hope you enjoy your down time. But as always I enjoy your travels and reports of the same. Take care.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:44 PM   #7244
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Carol, and thank you.

It was an unusual but still great project to be involved with, tho the cold was a bit of a stressor.

I’ll be poking around the southeast for the next month or so, til my reservation at Edisto, so if you get back up here and would like to meet for coffee, let me know.

Maggie
Old 01-24-2022, 04:31 PM   #7245
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Three days of visiting with Al & Patti, taking turns cooking for each other, talking, talking and talking, and it has been lovely.

Between the HC project, my new friend Todd/the good folks who worked with us and the past few days of visiting, this trip is off to an amazing start.

It feels like one gift from the universe after another.

When Todd and I did our PCR tests last Friday, in the leaving that tight little area I caught a couple of their orange lane cones under the running board on the drivers side of my Interstate.

Stopped and pulled them out, no apparent damage. but when I tried to attach the sewer hose the next day to empty my tanks before evacuating the campground, I couldn’t get it to catch properly and had some spillage.

Couldn’t get it attached this morning at all, so played “borrow a husband” and asked Al to take a look and see if those cones had bent something under there.

They had, in fact, pushed the connector part up, leaving inadequate space to get the Rhino connection on…he figured out quickly how it worked and wrested it back in place so that I could then dump 12 days worth of waste and water this morning.

Sometimes a man’s eyes and strong man’s hands are needed.

Reminded me of the pickup truck I flagged down when I couldn’t get the sewer hose off once at a dump station, another when I couldn’t pull the connections to the new solar suitcase free.

Find a strong and kind man, and ask for help.

Heading east in the morning to do some more visiting, hoping temps are going to warm up a bit.

Maggie
Old 01-24-2022, 05:47 PM   #7246
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Quote:

Find a strong and kind man, and ask for help.

Maggie
That's what we are here for!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:12 AM   #7247
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And we women traveling alone are grateful, DaveP.

Al sprayed those connectors for me with some kind of lubricant yesterday, which I need to remember to do regularly to make that process a bit easier.

I did something to my right hip yesterday, getting up and down off the ground with dumping chores.

Pain laterally when walking, not at rest, feels muscular, and got bad enough that I took Tylenol yesterday afternoon and again when I went to bed.

Still painful this morning, but less so, so fingers crossed that I won’t need a visit to a Prompt Care.

I do not need a medical issue on the road.

It started raining in the night, and is supposed to continue all day but with highs in the 50’s so it feels like a heat wave.

Single digit temps at home, with negative wind chills, so I shall not complain about rain.

Maggie
Old 01-28-2022, 05:10 AM   #7248
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We settled in Wednesday until Monday in a campground we visited three years ago, which has an eclectic group who also routinely settle here for extended periods this time of year.

Everyone friendly but being Covid cautious, and it is warm enough right now to sit outside and visit.

Always very interesting to me to to see what people do, and how, to support extended stays…particularly when opting out of electricity.

Lots of clever and very talented folks out there…one of whom pointed out to me that hanging that snap-on, fabric curtain that came with the Interstate just in front of the seats in the cab area would help enclose heat in the living area during very cold weather.

It had not occurred to me to pull that out, while I was sleeping in three layers, under a fleece blanket and down comforter.

My hip pain diffused and passed within a couple of days, thank goodness, and I decided it was a muscle spasm for some reason.

Seems an odd place for a muscle spasm, but if it happens again I will sit and stretch it out to try to stop its progression.

We’ve had a high level of activity since leaving home a month ago , and it is nice to be still for awhile…sleep in til 6 or later , cook a bit, take Lily on multiple walks each day.

On our countdown to Edisto, now…

Maggie
Old 01-30-2022, 07:24 AM   #7249
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sunday morning, when tradition in my family calls for a hot bread of some sort…pancakes, waffles, coffee cake, muffins, etc.

This little electric skillet I’ve had a couple of years now is one of my best purchases, as I can cook a pasta with sauce and many other combined meals for just one in there…also bake a simple scone or biscuits.

A 5-pack of refrigerated biscuits this morning, which will leave some leftover…

Some good butter and jam = Sunday breakfast on the road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	471B63A4-C948-4840-8658-A48C426C82A7.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	411240   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE6A4922-FAAA-4D6F-8967-716A27EB158F.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	411241  

Name:	50D2DBBE-D207-4E09-BBDA-092497261C4F.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	411242  
Old 01-30-2022, 09:02 AM   #7250
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sag Harbor , New York
A great tool!

Is the skillet 12-volt DC or 120-volt AC? I still have some 12-volt DC things like an immersion heater for one cup of tea, and a small pitcher for larger amounts of hot water. Even a 12-volt mini-oven for heating up stuff as one drives down the road. The smell of frozen Jones Bros. sausages, or Jimmy Dean sausage patties, heating up is great. Wrapped in paper towels, inside a "container" of aluminum foil, it is pretty easy to minimize the grease inside the oven.

These 12-volt items all plug into a cigarette lighter outlet.

Love your trip reports, Maggie, thanks!

Peter
Por Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:37 AM   #7251
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The skillet uses household current, which in my case means when plugged into electricity or the generator is running.

I have one those little 12 volt mini ovens that I bought over the winter, tho haven’t used it yet because I keep forgetting it is there.

My thought was on drive days, for vacuum sealed meals I brought with me, frozen entrees or leftovers of some sort.

Maybe in the next leg of this trip, when things will be a bit more calm.

I’m going to extend my stay here another week, because there isn’t a better and cheaper option out there, and this is a comfortable, friendly campground...I’m right next to the bathhouse, with water and electricity, and inexpensive laundry next to the shower.

Maggie
Old 01-30-2022, 11:30 AM   #7252
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
. . .
I have one those little 12 volt mini ovens that I bought over the winter, tho haven’t used it yet because I keep forgetting it is there.

My thought was on drive days, for vacuum sealed meals I brought with me, frozen entrees or leftovers of some sort.
. . .
Perfect!

So simple . . . after using it once, you will find plenty of other uses IMO. As you say, you can even "heat up" something you have baked/BBQ'd/frozen when you had shore power.

A fellow Ford Transit owner on another site even had a 12-volt DC electric heating pad inside his bed, under a down duvet, which let him pre-heat his bed while driving. If you have enough battery back-up, the 12-volt heating pad can stay on all night under the right circumstances IMO.

Peter
Old 01-30-2022, 11:56 AM   #7253
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I actually have a 12volt blanket at home, a gift from my son when I was still working.

I would plug it in and wrap kids I was transporting in it at times, also my own legs on very cold nights or mornings.

It would have been handy in the Interstate a couple of weeks ago , tho I would be concerned about the battery draw with its’ long cord.

I am surviving cold nights with multiple layers of clothing, under a fleece blankie, with the down comforter on top, and none of those require any battery power.

I’ve pulled out my HotLogic to play with this week, and it is actually not a12volt but has a standard plug…tho I have an adapter so can plug it into the dash while driving.

Maggie
Old 01-31-2022, 09:38 AM   #7254
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I plugged this in, put in a frozen, vacuum sealed bag of pot roast with carrots, and then cleaned my rear storage compartment, windows and screens this morning.

Two hours later, thawed and heated thru.

Tho this was an essentially passive way to heat my dinner while I did other things, this little item will be most useful on travel days.

The lidded plastic container that comes with the HotLogic would easily hold reheated food adequate to feed two.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EB6D6F2F-5062-4B1E-A865-493BB679CE55.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	411311   Click image for larger version

Name:	211C809C-A1D5-463E-8784-63530795550F.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	411312  

Name:	E212C90A-E8A9-44B8-95EE-2B5C216C7950.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	411313  
Old 01-31-2022, 10:46 AM   #7255
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
. . .
. . . this little item will be most useful on travel days.
. . .
The aroma of sausage heating up, on mornings when you get going early for the next leg of a trip, may force you to pull over!

Just make sure Lily does not drool all over the oven!

Peter
Old 02-02-2022, 08:05 AM   #7256
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is a group spread out in tents thru several sites across the road from me who are research scientists from the Forest Service, here for the week doing a project not far from this campground.

I never knew until volunteering with HistoriCorps that the US Forest Service had a myriad of highly specialized professionals like research scientists, archeologists, etc., all out there doing their thing to care for, protect and preserve our public lands.

Nice.

I made this pancake and waffle mix before I left home, and brought it with me for this trip.

Oatmeal, whole wheat flour, a very modest amount of brown sugar…then add your wet ingredients when ready to eat.

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/oatmeal-pancake-mix/

I’ve made something similar before, but like that this recipe uses fresh buttermilk, one of my favorite ingredients for baked goods.

A 1/2 recipe makes just enough for a brunch for me, and these are especially yummy with fresh blueberries thrown into the batter.

I found at the store the other day a Jimmy Deans product I hadn’t seen before, cooked turkey breakfast sausage crumbles, https://www.jimmydean.com/products/f...E&gclsrc=aw.ds ,and next time I make this I am going to throw some into the mix before baking.

(This is her picture)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	24FE69B3-D898-4F76-B282-BFE95B107F50.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	411366  
Old 02-06-2022, 05:13 AM   #7257
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After several days of temps near 80 degrees, we had a good rain and return to more seasonal highs in the 50’s with it cold enough at night to need some heat.

Fine with me, as it was -6 degrees at home yesterday morning when I talked with my son, and there is 15” or so of snow on the ground…with drifts 4-5’ high and no temps high enough to melt it off in sight

The kids had a snow day and a couple of “remote learning” days during the worst of it last week, the latter a creation in the pandemic that will undoubtedly remain a permanent option as opposed to so many snow days some years that the school year must be extended.

Pivoting in a pandemic, and there’s been lots of that.

Now that the roads have been plowed, he’s going to slog thru it and my driveway to check the little house and bring in the mail today. 😅

Going to add one more week to our stay here, because there is no good reason to leave…inexpensive, clean, friendly campground, with lots of dogs and dog lovers.

We are walking 3-4 times a day, doing a little cooking, reading, some visiting, cleaning and tidying this and that , crocheting hats and scarves to use up the yarn brought with me…I cannot complain.

Then will start moseying north thru Georgia and South Carolina.

Maggie
Old 02-08-2022, 10:04 AM   #7258
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have looked several places for rubber gloves the last couple of weeks, and none have been found.

You know, the ones we use when emptying tanks???

I am down to 3 pairs, but found some at Publix this morning…only boxes of 100, but I bought two because they were there, so now have several years worth.

Not something one wants to run out of.

I made this Spinach Lasagna Soup again today, which I posted a couple of months back…because it is again cool and rainy, and because it’s what I felt like preparing and eating.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recip...na-soup/18059/

Turkey Italian sausage, and I added a package of sliced baby portobello mushrooms.

Also found these little lasagna-noodle shaped pasta at TJMaxx a couple of weeks ago, so in went a couple of handfuls.

Yum.

Now, where will I store the leftovers?

It will be a challenge, as there is no one here to eat but me, but however I have to work to cram it all in to my little frig and freezer, it will be worth it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A0CE7CFD-6618-4B5B-A9DA-224102E29947.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	411745  
Old 02-08-2022, 10:19 AM   #7259
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I buy my gloves at Costco...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:44 AM   #7260
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm, good to know they are available there tho I don’t have a membership.

I have been to two WalMarts and a Walgreens.

Maggie