Old 03-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #5055
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After touring the city some by car yesterday morning, met up with Protagonist and his sweet girl yesterday afternoon by the Cafe du Monde...two people to whom Lily took an immediate liking.

Always nice to put a face to a name.

Frenchman Street is apparently one of “the” areas for live music and good restaurants in NOLA, and it certainly seems well visited, and full of local color...tho not jam-packed crowded, as was Jackson Square when we left. Yikes.

Walking back from there late yesterday, a man sitting outside one of the clubs flashed a small, handlettered, cardboard sign at me....offering a service , cheap, with a big old grin on his face.

When I said I would pass, he offered a “senior discount”. Funny.

It is NOLA, after all, and one needs to leave leave any semblance of their prudish self at home.

We took our first walk of the day this morning to the New Orleans Cake Cafe & Bakery, a local legend on Chartres Street, and about 5 minutes from my rental....French toast with orange pecan syrup for me, a scrambled egg for Miss Lily, served outside, and with a smile.

This beautiful house sits just across the street from the Cafe.

https://nolacakes.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F974DD22-2728-4678-BA6D-18EACDC0C603.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	306107   Click image for larger version

Name:	3BA85B36-D961-40BC-B2FA-81B481895262.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	306108  

Name:	EBD6297F-A690-4ED7-9BBC-713641E29713.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	516.6 KB
ID:	306109   Click image for larger version

Name:	C79184F1-FB9D-4CF1-9BDC-C5CDA5111841.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	306110  

Old 03-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #5056
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Very nice spot you are in and good pictures. I love the colors of New Orleans and hope to go back some day as we have only visited once.

I also love the coffee and we had a great experience in a cafe called Morning Call Coffee in Metarie just off the causeway approaching Lake Pontchartrain.

Protag good picture, looks like retirement suits you well.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #5057
Rivet Master

On the mend!

Maggie, I am so happy for you that you are having such a wonderful trip. After your bout with your recent illness, you need the lift.... And you're getting it. Good on you!

As for me,I am home now, on the mend. Still a way to go to resume normalcy....but, one step at a time....will get me back. (Turns out, I had severe sepsis, pulmonary compromise, RSV, pneumonia) and very contagious to others)! When admitted to ER, first clue Deb had to how critical I was.....the MD ASKED HER IF I WOULD BE A DO NOT RECUSITATATE? and that scared the *¥€#^* out of her! They informed her that at that point I was critical, BP dangerously low, heart rate off the charts high, etc.) Deb. Told them DO EVERYTHING, WE're not letting her GO! They did exactly that. She told me later, they were all working hard, great team, and here I am today....on the mend at home!

I had a lovely experience in step down unit from ICU: one afternoon, a lady came to my door, with a harp, and offered to play for me .... Part of volunteer healing arts program at my hospital. As I was on isolation, she remained at doorway and interacted with me, taking requests, as she played her harp beautifully, in classical fashion, for 1 1/2 hrs or more. She payed the most lovely version of "amazing grace" among many others.

The next evening, a gentleman, with accoustic guitar came, a lovely man with a sweet voice, and he, too, encouraged me to make requests, and he played and sang for me for more than 2 hrs. When he played and sang the complete version of "Danny boy", I was overwhelmed with emotion, tears streaming down my face. It was a catharsis needed. I slept well that night, first time in a long while. Healing arts indeed. How fortunate am I?!

My care was exemplary....as Parker Adventist Hospital saved my life last week, literally! All teams from ER. ICU, O2 therapy, nursing staff, step down unit were top notch! The only concern I had was the little mid eastern hospitalist, who had some rather odd desire to sedate me, give pain meds, sleeping pills, take me backwards (tried to reinstate another overly projected regime of IV Lasix, after I had been fully diureeced), etc.. As I was seriously pulmonary compromised, the very last thing I needed was to take her orders, which would have caused severe pulmonary compromise again. ""WHAT THE HELL?""

She received a hard "NO" on all her suggestions, from me....appeared very taken aback by my own patient advocacy....and I had no problem whatsoever in telling her that I, apparently had a much stronger grasp on my needs, and insisted that she not add any more "crap orders" to my record. I never use sleep aids, sedatives, opiates, or anything like that. Don't need it, don't want it, won't take it....thank you very much! I think she got the full picture after that.
I made it quite clear that my goal is to move forward, never backwards. She looked at me as if she had never experienced anything like this patient, and seemed quite flustered. Oh,well...her problem...not mine. My body, my decisions!

When Deb came that evening, I told her....her face turned red, she was heading for the door, ready to give "the hospitalist" what for, I held her back, telling her it was handled. We made a pact that if or when I am ever back, she will not leave my side, as, if I am unable to advocate for myself, she will cover that base. Deb and I have made it clear....I am FULL CODE! Today, we will fill out new living will, etc. two copies, one will be at home, one in my purse. And I will make sure that my hospital computer records reflect it all.

Just a reminder to any who are in familiar circumstances, keep your medical wishes current, make sure the info gets where it needs to be. BE YOUR OWN STRONG PATIENT ADVOCATE, INFORM FAMILY, YOUR PCP MD, AND ANY OTHERS of YOUR PRECISE WISHES. Don't let it slip through the cracks, assuming strangers will know. They won't unless you tell them. I am nearing 80 this year. Many will assume you are on your way OUT! Wrong, wrong, wrong. I am shooting for 90, with a full life of RV travel, just me and little Mikki, stick around for love of family. I won't be ready to cash in my chips for a darn long time! Got a lot of living to come!
God bless you all! Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #5058
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad you’re doing better, Evelyn.

Maggie
Old 03-12-2018, 07:40 AM   #5059
Rivet Master

Hi Maggie. Thank you. Sorry about the hijack. I should have put such a lengthy post on my own thread. Just was not thinking about how long it was. Continue having a great trip. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #5060
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona

Name:	IMG_20180312_113507.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	306228
Wishing you a blessed day, surrounded by beautiful sites and memories.

Hittenstiehl
Old 03-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #5061
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
How sweet, and thank you!

4 years ago today...rest in peace, honey.

Lily and I took our final walk into the Jackson Square area of the Quarter this morning...which was mobbed with tourists on a Monday morning, which then prevented a last cafe au lait from the Cafe du Monde.

Standing in line for 20 or more minutes for a coffee just is unappealing, to me.

I had been looking for a print, one that touched my heart, and saw this one this today, so snatched it up.

Kind of impressionistic, old fashioned, reminiscent of times past, etc. Perfect.

We will head for home in the morning, and it’s been a good trip. My eyes have filled with tears many times, but then that’s all a part of why we’re here.

“Fun” is not the right word, but it has been “enjoyable”, and good to get away...and, I got to spend time with the very sweet Julie again, as well as meet Protagonist.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	87860733-ED7F-477F-B415-B2131E52533C.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	306229  
Old 03-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #5062
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sometimes refreshing memories can make those memories stronger and even more cherished.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #5063
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
True, rmkrum.

I am very proud of myself...driving in, around, and back out of NOLA without a scratch or mishap of any sort...including getting out of the city and onto I55 north early this morning.

In the old days, Doug would have done all the driving, me cringing at the heavy traffic and narrow roads from my side of the car.

Sigh.

We got off 55 mid morning, picked up a cup of freshly brewed Community Coffee, and took 51 on up and into Memphis, through the small towns and piney woods of the Mississippi Delta.

Redbud, tulip and other flowering trees are in bloom, and purple wisteria grows wild...also blooming. Spring in the South...gorgeous.

Lots of standing water in various places, with long legged birds aplenty...at one point, a great blue heron flew low and directly in front of my car.

Not only was my mother from Greenwood, and Doug and I thru here many times, I made a number of work related trips to the Jackson area, placing small children who would otherwise linger in our unstable system with grandparents down here.

I remember them vividly, some of my best work.

A lot of our families had roots in Mississippi, migrating north toward places they knew friends and family to be, in search of better jobs and a better life. If you have never read “The Warmth of Other Suns”, it is an excellent and revealing look at a particular cross-section of America.

One special “save”, just a few months before we retired, was of an 8 month old boy whose mother had committed a heinous act that was going to lock her up for many, many years.

Waiting to be arrested, she secured her child with a trusted person and called her Grandma...in Mississippi...to come get him. Grandma did, and by the time the State was involved he could not be found.

There were some vile others who were unhappy she had “hidden him”...no, she made a responsible plan for what she knew would be long term care, IMO.

They sought to retrieve the baby, and place him in our foster care system.

Most importantly, there were those who wanted to punish the mother (by taking her child from family) for a) her heinous act, and b) for pre-emptively securing him with his grandparents, where the State couldn’t find him.

The abbreviated end result...the child’s attorney and I worked together, and temporary custody was given not to the State but to the with-impeccable-credentials grandparents.

One child, saved from the system... by a couple of determined advocates and a judge who could see what was happening...and did the right thing.

Some of the memories, going thru my head today, driving thru rural Mississippi.

Home tomorrow.

Maggie
Old 03-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #5064

2018 Basecamp
St Andre Avellin , Quebec
Hi, I am a new member who just ordered a basecamp, the salesman rambled on about used, resale value. How true is this?
Ken
Ken Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #5065
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You might ask that question in a thread on Base Camps?

Like this one...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...it-176717.html

Maggie
Old 03-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #5066
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are home, and I have seriously cried off and on not only the entire trip, but particularly this last, two day drive.

I was pulling the last of the things in from the car, and turned to locate the cardinal...Doug’s bird, you know...that I could hear loudly and persistently proclaiming something.

It was in the neighbor’s tree by my fence, the brilliant red male staring straight at me, singing his little heart out.

Doug welcoming me home, perhaps, saying “good job, honey”.

I don’t know of a stage of grief called “resolution”, but that’s the word that comes to mind and what I think I’m in. Sigh.

I am going to dewinterize as soon as it seems feasible, and take a little trip in the Interstate...because, I’m ready.

Maggie
Old 03-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #5067
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
What a FULL trip you've been on. Much more than just traveling but a journey of the heart also.

Even though we typically hear about the 5 stages of grief:
Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

Or the 7 stages:
Shock & Denial
Pain & Guilt
Anger & Bargaining
Depression, Reflections, Loneliness
The Upward Turn
Reconstruction & Working Thru
Acceptance & Hope

Grief is not typical, not completed in a timeline and usually never goes away. Acute grief mostly softens over time, allowing the survivors to get on with living.

In the years that you been writing about your journey I'm firmly convinced that this has helped many people in ways that will never be known.

(Rant or Hijack done) 😚

Hittenstiehl
Old 03-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #5068
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, Hittenstiehl.

I keep writing this thread because of the encouragement I get to do so.

It’s an outlet for me, a place to compose thoughts and feelings into words, and if those words then help others, well than what could be better.

I like the idea of it being a lighthouse for those who will eventually strike the same rocks.

Maggie