Old 02-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #5013
Rivet Master

Maggie, you are so right in your concept of what is right for your emotional health. I believe that as we get older and have experienced more of life and relationships, one must install some level of self defense measures of protection.

I, too, have less and less tolerance of bullcrap and gossipy mean spirited people. It is smart to delete those vicious and hurtful types from our environment. We all will be smarter and healthier to walk away from what is hurtful and damaging. Nothing to see there....nothing to be gained by lingering, in hopes things will improve.

I am likely to make myself aware of "a certain amount of the political BS," and am confident that I possess the intellect which allows me to see through said BS and lies....then to determine the truth. As I am likely to have my own opinions, I can make up my own mind, just how much is believable, and then to simply move on to more pleasant matters.
Politics is, has always been...a nasty business, and unfortunately will more than likely remain so. As said before, on and on it goes.

We are wise to choose what and who we allow to impact our own lives.

I am glad to know that you appear to have recovered from your health scare. Good on you that you keep plugging along. Take care and God bless. Evelyn.

ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #5014
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Evelyn.

Double vision has completely resolved, tho the left eye is not quite yet 100%...I was so fortunate.

Maggie

Old 02-06-2018, 06:04 AM   #5015
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
5”-6” of snow at the little house....I will be shoveling my driveway today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E907FD80-6E8D-4071-B37C-40D88C4114DB.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	303641  
Old 02-06-2018, 07:28 AM   #5016
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
That looks simply beautuful!!!!

In my idealistic "live in a winter climate" scenario that is what I see.

In your reality "live in a winter climate" it needs to be shoveled.

It goes without saying but pace yourself, you are not at 110 percent yet.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #5017
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is really beautiful snow....because of the very cold temps, it is as light and sparkly as Ivory soap flakes.

As we living in snow country age, most of us prefer to enjoy the snow from the inside looking out, while the kids can’t wait to get out in it and play.

This is great sledding snow, not so much for snow balls and snow men as it will not pack well.

I put on Doug’s heavy, Eddie Bauer, sherpa fleece-lined sweatshirt, and the infinity scarf I recently made for myself, along with my Bogs....and the driveway is now cleared, by me.

It’s a good thing for a 68 year old woman, doing these heavy duty things myself...my arms and shoulders are stronger than they’ve ever been, and my bone density testing remains steady, without osteoporosis.

I’m sure all of the manual labor these past four years had a lot to do with that.

Tho, truthfully....if this were the very heavy, packed snow, I would hire someone to clear it for me, and when I must retire from the road I will probably buy a small snowblower.

No point in tempting fate.

Maggie
Old 02-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #5018
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The young tree in the corner of the yard is a volunteer cedar that Doug transplanted into the back yard from the wildness of the tree line 5-6 years ago.

I love the smell of cedar, and cedar trees, and have been nurturing along another in the front bed the past couple of years...coming up under the dense yews, it is about 12” above the ground now.

Come spring, I’m going to dig another hole in the back yard and transplant the little guy back there to join his friend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5A4C115D-DE73-446B-974D-FC49FC88B045.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	501.5 KB
ID:	303664  
Old 02-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #5019
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In my weekly BookBub e-book offerings this morning...Walt Longmire!

Like seeing an old friend, and the book reads just like the characters in the Netflix series. I will have to get them all.

I’m a happy girl.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D8E176B8-B971-4248-94EA-28E037CD60A0.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	303826  
Old 02-10-2018, 05:22 AM   #5020
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I started reading the Longmire series of books on the way to our gathering in Oregon last year--as a way to forget that I was riding center-seat coach on an airliner. The books are great, and I've enjoyed every last one of them.

I'm headed for the new house today with a pickup load of light fixtures, doorknobs, etc. We're getting there!
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:57 AM   #5021
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good to hear you’re getting ever closer to a move-in date, Mimi.

Before starting this book last evening, I had only watched the Longmire series on Netflix, which I really, really enjoyed.

Last evening, well into the first of the e-books, I went into the Nook store and found three more in the under-$5 bin...so they are now awaiting my reading pleasure.

Anything I can read that makes me laugh out loud is a very good thing, and I believe Doug...tho not one prone to reading fiction...would have enjoyed these.

Henry Standing Bear may be my favorite character...a centered, grounded, highly principled man who speaks without contractions.

Maggie
Old 02-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #5022
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Are the Walt Longmire books a mystery series? Maggie, you mentioned they made you laugh, so I didn’t know if I was googling the correct books. I love to read, enjoy mysteries, but I really need to laugh more to get away from some of life’s issues.

We can’t stream Netflix where we live, so I’m not familiar with them.

Thanks.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:10 PM   #5023
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Deb.

I don’t know that I would call them a mystery series, but there are always crimes being solved because Walt Longmire is Sheriff of Absaroka County in Wyoming.

The crime solving is more a sub plot, in my opinion, the stories being mostly about Walt...a widower of several years...his deputies, one of which is a transplant from Philadelphia, his best and lifelong friend Henry Standing Bear, the small town they all live in, etc.

These are not comedy, but well written with a nice touch of descriptive humor.

There’s also the Red Pony, Henry’s bar and grill, the American Indians, Reservation life and issues, Walt trying to re-enter the dating scene, etc.

They are a gentle read, not full of gratuitous violence, which I like.

If you are googling Walt Longmire, you will find the books.

Try one, and see if you like it.

Maggie
Old 02-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #5024
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is a really great story about Olympic Gold Medalist, Red Gerard...he warms your heart, and you just know this is not the last we will hear from him.

Such a free spirit, flipping himself around up there in mid air.

https://sports.yahoo.com/incredible-...093031390.html

I finished The Cold Dish last evening, and enjoyed it more than any book in a long time. I will start the next this evening.

I’m sure it’s in large part due to the familiarity and fondness for the characters, and being able to hear Walt, Henry, Vic and Ruby’s voices from the Netflix series speaking the lines from the book to me.

Henry has some of the very best lines, but dry humor is pervasive, and it is good.

My forced housebound-ness has me looking at things inside the little house which need tending to, most of which I cannot do myself, so I have an electrician coming in the morning and a call into a trim carpenter who has done a lot of work here over the years.

Maintenance and upkeep on a 33 year old house...it’s got to be done.

It remains cold here, but is going to warm up a bit later in the week...so the snow will melt to become a slushy mess on the roads and a muddy mess for Miss Lily...the flip side of that beautiful white mass out the windows.

Maggie
Old 02-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #5025
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The couple of other Walt Longmire books I thought I had picked up are not actually books, but short stories.

I always feel rather ripped off when I buy one of those, thinking I have a book to later discover they are only 50-100 pages or so.

So, I’ve been reading The Sound of Glass, by Karen White...very, very good, and set in Beaufort, SC.

Waiting today for a carpenter to come by, to look at some things needing done, I settled myself into my new sitting area with a cup of tea, and just read. Lovely.

I went out to Menards the other day, with a couple of pictures on my phone of things needing tended to in the little house, and quickly realized these were not tasks I could handle myself.

Also had difficulty articulating descriptions and needs to young men who speak in a builder and electrician vernacular that I do not.

As my eyes were crossing, a young man there suggested a “trim carpenter”, so I called the man who has done some remodeling here over the years, and also built/stained/installed two magazine rack type storage pieces for the Interstate.

This is the slow season for men such as he, so I got him to the house in a mere two days. A good man, who does good work, and I am glad for him.

I am really ready to get out of here for awhile, as doctor appointments and follow up this and that are slowing to a trickle, and am looking forward to our little road trip south in a few weeks.

Very unaccustomed to the cold, after 10 winters meandering in warmer parts of the country, I am looking forward to a week of spring in bloom in the French Quarter. No coats, fleece, nor gloves will be needed...we will walk and sit and watch and listen and enjoy

Also take in the particular aroma of the Quarter, partake of delicious food, cafe au lait, and whatever else strikes our fancy.

A very dog friendly area, Lily will enjoy it as well. Most importantly...she will go with, rather than be left behind.

Although I was of course very attached to Lily when Doug was still alive, in these past near four years, to say we are even more bonded would be a gross understatement.

A fellow Airstreamer a couple of years ago said that we were now “one”, and I would have to agree with that...and if you’ve never had that with an animal, it may be hard to understand, but it’s a good thing.

Ordered today a travel water bottle thingy for her, that has a bowl receptacle in the top, and fits into a cup holder...should work very well for this and future car trips, much easier and more efficient than my usual lidded container.

Turning the TV on to watch Ellen...a good woman, and the world is better for having her in it...they are covering yet another school shooting, on average one per week since 2013, statistics show.

So senseless and tragic, for all involved. My heart goes out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B188053D-179C-4E44-B72E-5E7E378CAB35.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	304266  
Old 02-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #5026
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Maggie,
Glad your vision has resolved. Have a beignet for me.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote