Old 02-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #4999
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I haven’t posted a quote in awhile, and thought this was a good one...

“in the long run, weasels and liars never hold the field, so long as good people stand up” James Comey 2/1/18

Old 02-03-2018, 04:15 AM   #5000
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I haven’t posted a quote in awhile, and thought this was a good one...

“in the long run, weasels and liars never hold the field, so long as good people stand up” James Comey 2/1/18
The pot calling the kettle black!. a good quote from the wrong person, sorry..

xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:58 AM   #5001
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hijack

With this Nassar mess.

Where were the PARENTS? Never going to make or accept ANY excuse for a pedophile's behavior but 300+ victims and not ONE said anything to a parent?

Pre-teens and teens DO want to feel grown up and they DO keep secrets from their parents. They are also curious about everything.

There IS a "that's unthinkable" attitude built in to most good people... so they never have that extremely uncomfortable conversation with their children - which sons need as much as daughters.

Teach your children. They have NO instincts that will save them. Virtually EVERY child will help a "nice man" find his lost puppy, even when they have been clearly warned not to. Solution: teach them exactly what to do: yell Mom/Dad call 911 man lost his puppy come help! (Even if parents aren't present) Then RUN dropping everything that could slow them down holding on to only a cell phone. Coach, teacher, or other authority figure as the perp? ... never let a child think "You are lucky you get this expensive activity, don't whine about how hard practice is."

Sorry about that. Very traumatic close call when I was 10. Professional wrestling was big then, and I didn't know it was mostly fake - a head butt to the groin and running about a mile back home saved me from a 17 year old.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:52 AM   #5002
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Not a hijack, Paula, topics are open here.

There were 8 known efforts to report him, from what I have read, and at least one of those was to the police...who did not believe the victim, nor apparently involve child welfare services.

A well respected Physician for young gymnasts might also fall under the category of “those we don’t think we need to protect our children from”.

I’m sure, as with teachers, teachers aides, day care workers, priests, etc., etc., those conversations have changed.

If these girls told their parents of Nassar’s methods of examination and treatment of sports injuries, would they have had the knowledge to question that and speak up? If they did, was Nassar defended by his employer at the expense of his victims?

I certainly would have spoken up, but would your average parent, if they knew, implicitly trusting the entity that employed him?

Would one think to caution their children about unorthodox methods and bad touch by a physician?

It’s horrifying, but complicated, and we simply don’t know. That these girls had to compartmentalize sexual abuse by their Doctor, as a condition of participating and advancing in their sport, is the real tragedy.

Barring any indication the parents were somehow complicit, which I have not heard of, we need to fully support them and the children, in my opinion.

Incidents of mass molestation of children, by one or more perpetrators in any given setting, have been coming out for at least 40 years that I am aware of.

There always seem to be the starts and stops, where it could have been caught sooner had the victims been believed, signs paid attention to and mandated reporters involved outside authorities.

We had a grade school teacher here not too many years back, protected by the school...who also refused to transfer his victim out of his classroom and who allowed the teacher unsupervised access to the child after her disclosures were made.

It was only after the teacher transferred to another school, and molested children there, that it all came out.

I have more words and theories on all of this, but simply can’t articulate them here.

Maggie
Old 02-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #5003
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is 18 degrees here, with a windchill of 3, and lows tonight expected to be in the single digits...and, it is snowing and blowing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C86DC7D-AF31-4178-8B4A-0B61DC5FCCA4.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	303527  
Old 02-04-2018, 02:46 PM   #5004
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Lovely weather. We're expecting that later tonight. Lows near zero with blowing and drifting snow. I just cleared away 6 inches of that fluffy white stuff. We'll see how much more we get by tomorrow morning.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #5005
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, winter in the Midwest, and I have been so very spoiled being away from it.

Opted not to go to my sons for dinner tonight, as after hauling wood in from outside, getting trash to the curb, and a few other outside tasks this morning, I just can’t stand the thought of going back out in it.

I am still chilled.

He was just here, because I baked two loaves of Dutch Oven Bread this morning...one for them...and some cookies, so he picked my offerings up.

They are doing chili, wings, dips of various sorts, so I thought a bread with corn in it would be good...so I covered a couple of tablespoons of coarse, yellow, Edisto grits with about 3x that much boiling water, stirred it up and put a lid on it.

About an hour later, the water was absorbed, the grits cooked and soft.

Stirred it into the mixing of the bread, baked it as usual and it turned out great, chewy and crusty.

Watching the Great Memo Debate in the news these last few days, I have been sitting on my hands to keep from speaking to it...but will share a thimbleful of what we learned of memos while working for the SOI.

Never confuse a memo with reality, as the man once said. Because it is in writing, does not make it so.

The State was masterful at creating alternative facts, or having some political hack do that for them...which they would then literally and figuratively wave fiercely in the air, full of pompous outrage and indignation.

They would then act on their created reality, as if it were real.

There was always an end goal in mind, and they cared not who or what was damaged to get there.

Sigh.

Maggie
Old 02-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #5006
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It’s the “pompous outrage and indignation” that is getting old fast. Reminds me that, “the only time you can tell a politician is lying is when his/her mouth is moving...”

Maggie, do stay out of the weather and enjoy the snowfall and a warm fire. I’m out sweating in our SoCal heat fixing a leaky water pipe...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:23 PM   #5007
Rivet Master

Fear not....the opposition is working on their own memo...a ten pager! That being the case... We will all be treated to another version of "pompous indignation and outrage". And around and around it goes.....

Of course, the reason for the Memo, is to avoid divulging of security information. This could all be prevented if there were not some level of corruption in those agencies to begin with.
And....on and on it goes.....
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #5008
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Makes no sense to this engineer. Not a fan of political posturing.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:05 AM   #5009
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Several years ago, I read a good biography of John Adams. Really dirty politics was going on as far back as his presidency. It helps me a bit to realize that this is nothing new.
mimiandrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:14 AM   #5010
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Reading an article this morning about the death of the Jack Pearson character in “This is Us” , creator Dan Fogelman referred to the sudden death of his mother 10 years ago as “the hinge upon which my life swings”.

What an incredibly apt description of any life-altering event.

It was -1 here this morning, Lily refused to go potty, and snow is predicted this entire week.

I’m going to get the car in the garage, and hunker down.

Maggie
Old 02-05-2018, 06:17 AM   #5011
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Several years ago, I read a good biography of John Adams. Really dirty politics was going on as far back as his presidency. It helps me a bit to realize that this is nothing new.
You’re absolutely right, Mimi...it is about a lack of moral center, in my opinion, and who has the power to create the reality.

Its ugliness is just so much bigger, bolder and brighter in this day and age.

Maggie
Old 02-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #5012
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I came across this quote from Thomas Uppong a few days ago, and feel the profferred mindset is a really good one.

Getting unstuck is about making simple decisions and taking actions, always moving away from what you don’t want and towards what you want. If you don’t know what you want, then just move away from what you don’t want until you figure it out.

Since Doug died, and enough dust settled to take me off of auto-pilot, moving away from what I don’t want has become an integral part of my life.

Not so much consciously, at first, but that’s what I’ve been doing, and I think it is a good thing for any aware person to practice.

A lot that I tolerated and dealt with when Doug was alive, and his life-buffering was ever-present, I am no longer willing to...and, to some extent, not able to tolerate.

I have left, or emotionally stepped back from, a few individuals these past few years...and I have left some groups. Because, that’s what’s best for me.

I so viscerally despise gossipy, cruel, vicious, back stabbing, narrow minded, insecure, mean-spirited people...who seem to cluster in groups of mostly women, is the truth.

They are vile to observe and listen to, but powerful in their ability to contaminate those around them...and not just their victims.

I will not be them, and choose not to expose myself to them.

To the extent that we can, we need to decide what is and is not in our life, dontcha think?

Be conscious, choose at least what you don’t want, and have the courage to walk away.

And, as Ellen says...be kind to one another.

Be better. It’s a choice.

Maggie